Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rldmoto posted:

Just outside Southern Pines, an hour south of Raleigh. Near KSOP and BQ1.

haha wow I'm just over the state line from rockingham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's a whooole lot easier to ignore noise complaints now that somebody did some basic data analysis and showed that, as an example, 80% of all the complaints to Reagan National were from the same loving guy calling 19x every day.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Looking at the TSA budget, even if we generously assume they've prevented a 9/11 every single year it still makes more sense to let the poo poo hit the tower

E: Specifically, if there's a way to prevent 3000 deaths for less than $2.53m apiece we should totally do that instead

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 11, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Inevitable finally happens, Princess Juliana fencehanger learns skulls don't bounce on concrete.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jet-blast-sint-maarten-princess-juliana-airport-caribbean-kills-tourist-maho-beach/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Aviation Megathread: As long as you don’t stay somewhere for many years and do something stupid like starting a family, you’ll be fine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone here interacted with a Hondajet enough to have opinions about them?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you worked for an airline you might have been exposed to an empowered safety culture and can't be trusted not to upset the delicate stucture of civilization by saying 'no' to an overlord.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the tox screen on that balloon pilot that killed 16 people in texas was pretty amazing.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3237899-Pilot-toxicology-report-in-Lockhart-balloon-crash.html

E: :nms: labs indeed

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 10, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The WP8 Lumias were the best pure talk \ text \ camera phones ever made, shame about the app support.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What's crewmember life like at Delta? They've been by far my best experience as a passenger.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You guys make me wanna open an airport gas station so I can leave it locked on Al Jazeera

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OK I watched 20 minutes of ABC primetime last night and saw that the pendulum can swing too far the other way. Some tv mom setting up a jack shack for her kid with portraits of RBG was a bridge too far, now I even want to give someone a wedgie.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Well dudes.

I defended my dissertation on airplanes on Thursday. For years I had been planning to celebrate this accomplishment by changing my name to Dr. Apollo but apparently that account already exists and has 0 posts.

That's right.

Doctor. Pilot. Mooney. Bonanzas............ Apollo.

Get ready. It's showtime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is that Texas last night? I was watching that on GOES-16 and holy poo poo it was a thunderstorm covering the entire state of texas, and then crashing into another huge thunderstorm travelling west. I've never seen anything like it.

E: :stonk:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 4, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Boeing just bought an 80% stake in Embraer.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Piedmont retired their dash 8s today rip

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Angola_727_disappearance

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hey any ideas why this kickass turboprop upgraded DC-3 spent 4 hours flying back and forth over my hometown at 5300' sunday night?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm enjoying the horror stories but if you really want to take it somewhere else, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198184&pagenumber=812&perpage=40

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It sounds great if you can arrange with him to have someone else available to pick up and finish the ferry if you don't finish before you have to go back to work. Inoculating yourself against go fever is probably the biggest concern.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I live in SC and every day for the last 15 years I have dropped to my knees and praised the dark lord Mammon for all the collection plate calls that never happen thanks to my xx-13-666 phone number

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

e.pilot posted:

This is one of the reasons I’m so thankful I was able to train at the airport I did. A sleepy class c that was shared with a military base. It wasn’t very busy but every flight was always talking to clearance, always talking to approach. I’d regularly see anything from CRJs to Heavy military cargo and fighters and everything in between. It made going anywhere else a piece of cake.

CHS?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They're called the Master Minimum Equipment List and they're all on the FAA's website, have fun!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking as a facilities maintenance guy...

Y U NO SPARES :nyd:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/sta...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ILN&product=AFD&format=CI&version=3&glossary=0&highlight=off

E: there doesn't seem to be a permalink, here's the header to find it later:

code:

FXUS61 KILN 
301731 AFDILN 
AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION 
National Weather Service 
Wilmington OH 
1231 PM EST 
Wed Jan 30 2019 

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 30, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PT6A posted:

What do y'all recommend for winter gloves and where to get them? My current ones loving suck, I want something that will actually keep my hands from freezing at -30 while still being useful for fuelling a Cessna. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes, but I can't find gently caress all in stores or online. I don't care how ridiculous they look.

Underarmour base layer, a sheepskin jacket and good insulated boots have taken care of the rest of me, but I haven't found a glove that works worth a poo poo.

I asked "What do the guys on Deadliest Catch wear?" and after some googling it seems to be these, possibly with an extra layer of cotton liner beyond what's included.

https://www.amazon.com/SHOWA-660L-09-Triple-Dipped-Coated-Cotton/dp/B007VR3UPM

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

If a MAX crashes here or in another western country then get worried, otherwise it’s just third world aviation.

gently caress off, Ethiopian Airlines is as legit as it gets.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

It’s their current in-progress design.

That said, it probably won’t resemble the 757 as much as the 767. Personally, I think the 757 is the most beautiful twinjet ever built.

Who wore it best in your opinion? I vote Eastern Airways

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

which parts of NC this is important

lol at any man who claims love for lumberton

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Clover, SC is an overlooked gem. Get a piece of it while you still can. If you want lots of space, the part of Gaston Co. between NC27 and NC16.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 29, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Talking flying careers, keep in mind there's the small "lost" generation of pilots who were hired with 1500 because of the rule change but only made $21,000 a year for their work at a regional before they started getting with the program and raised pay. I would have been one of them had I stuck with it.

This seems timely given union chat:

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1126477710434414592

:stonk:

This escalated quickly.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1126606568454279169

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo, the saga of cocaine bear's taxidermied corpse is almost as weird as the story of its death:

https://youtu.be/o2b2CSOnYXo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

I've got a question regarding a specific job withing aviation.

I'm currently very close to being by a company that specializes in, I guess, aircraft parts reclamation? I'm not sure exactly what the job title would be and this is an issue because I don't know how much money to ask for, which is something I've told to start thinking about (direct quote: "I need you to be thinking about how much you want to make")

Basically the company takes business jets that don't fly anymore and pulls all the engines/parts/avionics to re-sell them, then takes the airframe and (usually) scraps it. They also do some jet brokerage stuff, as well as appraisals, aircraft recovery and other things. I guess you could describe them as an aviation services company. Typically working with Dassault Falcons, sometimes Citations or Hawkers.

OK SO...my concern is this: I don't know how much I should be making, and I really don't want to low-ball myself. The job itself would be the aircraft disassembly, but google doesn't understand what I mean by that.

I have six years experience as an avionics tech in the Air Force (ECM on B-1s, also did a TON of other jobs on that jet when it needed to be done. Even helped change a wingsweep gearbox once!) and that was all flightline, I didn't work backshop. Another two and a half years as ground service tech, of which a year was as a supervisor.

I also have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of aircraft and aviation, though I understand that means more or less nothing compared to actual experience.

Anyone have an idea how much I should be looking at here? Also I live in Kansas City fwiw

Do absolutely everything in your power to make them throw out a number before you do.

The Negotiation Thread: Never say a number, JFC

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 26, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrChips posted:

You could literally double the salary of every pilot and flight attendant at an airline and it would bump your ticket cost by maybe 5-10 percent at the most.

yeah but how much would it hit the C-suite bonuses? won't somebody please, please think of the job creators??

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cessna posted:

Or John and Martha King.

They're not real, right?

RIGHT?

:wtc: I work with a John and Martha King IRL but they have no aviation connection

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

crj-200?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SWA deserves a lot of credit for making their planes recognizable from the ground at FL300

E: albeit slightly less so with the new blue-bottom livery

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Take a look at anything around Louisville.