Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Wow. When did the original thread start?

Answered in the first line. But still wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I guess since we're doing updates for the list

ATP
Types:
L-39 Albatros
TBM Avenger
CRJ
Also, CFI, tailwheel, aerobatics

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I find a certain hilarity in these disjointed, repetitive, Timecube-like websites. But you can't expect people not to get pissed off about the noise, if they're not fans of the activity.

And if it drives potential noise complainers away from moving into to the new development, then that's a good thing for everybody.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I wrote this about my experience at CAE. Since it's all FAA approved curriculum material, it's bound to be similar anywhere else you go for it.

It's 4 days of classroom and 3 sim sessions. The sims are introduction/familiarization, nothing is checked and it is literally impossible to fail. There is a short and easy written at the end of the classroom section, corrected to 100%. (There has been some confusion in at least 1 guy's 135 clueless employer thinking this is the ATP written, which it is most certainly not!) Everything is presented as an introduction to general airline/jet concepts for someone coming out of Cessnas and Seminoles. Absolutely no preparation is needed, and I would recommend to anyone to put 100% of their study time into ATP written prep (such as Sheppard, ASA, etc.) which is actually long and hard. The classroom work is not prep for the ATP written, other than some naturally occurring coincidences given the subject matter. To be clear, it's the "ATP-CTP" course, and at the end you get a certificate which is a prerequisite to take the ATP written. Yes, the written is scheduled and done completely on your own. CAE can recommend a few testing centers nearby, but has no relationship with them and easier for most people to do it where you live.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Like the 727 "Whisperjet?"

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
"Aggressive maneuvering"

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Blimpin ain't easy

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

sleepy gary posted:

I'm going to start glider training soon I think. Is there any reason to think it'll screw with my powered flying skills?

No! The opposite is true. The most important thing that will happen is that you will be inculcated with the correct response with the elevator to a low-speed situation. The right thing to do will now become instinctual (or at least closer to it) and you will become less likely to be the next Air France 447, or Pinnacle 3701, or Asiana 214.

If I was king of the world, everyone would start on gliders, then the first powered transition would be into a taildragger. And all airspeed tapes would be with the high speed at the bottom and low speed on top.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 27, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why's that? I agree with everything you've said, but the reasoning here is opaque to me.

What PT6A said. To expand on that, everything else shown on a tape or scale on a typical PFD is set up on the design/usage premise that you move the nose toward the value you want to achieve. For headings, if you want to achieve a heading that is displayed to your right, you turn to the right. (Simple enough, right? But before glass cockpits or the top-down-view DG's that their heading component is modeled after, there were "barrel gyro" DG's, where you had to turn away from the heading you want, or "drag the heading." I've got time on such an airplane, had to actually navigate it cross-country, and it sucks!). For altitude, to achieve an altitude that is displayed above you, you move the nose up. Same for vertical speed.

But for airspeed, to achieve an airspeed that is displayed above you (i.e., faster) you have to move the nose down! Or "drag the airspeed," just like those antique DG's. What gives!? Obviously, the airspeed tape is not put there with any thought to the above-mentioned design principle. It's based on throttle control, ("higher"= faster) which is the opposite, so they can only satisfy one or the other requirement.

So which to choose? Well clearly there are phases of flight where the pilot uses elevator control vs. throttle control, but no matter how the pilot intends to control airspeed, the elevator/nose will always control the airspeed in accordance with the high-speed-down tape principle. Furthermore, every pilot, to one level or another, has the (wrong) instinctual response to control the vertical flight path by pointing the nose up and down. That works, at least initially, during most phases of flight, but fails during the most safety-critical of them, such as the 3 recent accidents I referenced. What's more, it's exactly when things are going the wrongest, that pilots will turn their brain off and go with instinct, instead of doing the counter-intuitive but right action, namely lowering the nose to build speed for Air France and Pinnacle, and adding power (instead of pulling up) to go up for Asiana. So there should be an ever-present reminder on the screen of what the elevator is gonna do to you.

The upside down airspeed tape is not a new concept, just not a widespread one. The space shuttle had it, but obviously it could only use pitch for speed. The U-2 (later updates with glass cockpits) did too, as at high altitudes the engine only ran at one setting (full) so it too could only pitch for speed. But some high thrust to weight maneuverable planes did too, like the F-15 in the HUD.

And before glass cockpits/PFD's got popular there was a generation of instrument panels with mechanical tapes for instruments, instead of round dials. And every one of those I've seen had the upside down airspeed tape.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

My favorite is the WestJet 737-600 pulling back to 230kts 100nm from the airport without telling me, and Southwest is ten in trail with the throttles buried somewhere forward of the weather radar.

This just showed up on my Facebook feed:

'course then I retell myself my smug memory of being told to slow down for Southwest with my 60 knot overtake on them on a 10 mile final. Turboprops are awesome.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 4, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Who does one need to know to get to play with toys like these? Also, what's the insurance like for those birds?

Well, there are different roads. If you're rich, you buy your own. If you're connected, you can fly someone else's. Like in WWII, the prerequisite to any big single seat warbird is T-6 time, and there are many places to get training in that. For me, I got my start when I ran away with the circus to do T-6 rides with a touring ride company. Later, that experience helped me get hired at an acro school, where I taught for 5 years and got typed in the L-39 to do intro lessons. The TBM was for a project that didn't pan out... also kind of a favor to me.

I can't speak to the insurance aspect of things.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I'm just trying to answer the "what then?" question for myself.

Don't worry, over the course of your training and hanging out at the airport, everybody will tell you what you just have to do next.

(In my case, you just have to get into gliders and taildraggers.)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I remember an Endeavor JFK pilot posting about upgrading to Captain, about a year ago, when I was getting hired. Are you still around? Has Goonflight possibly already happened? ^-- Initials VV.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Haha. Yeah it's happened and I didn't even know it. I think I saw you eating lunch at JFK today.

Haha, nice. If it was near the Five Boroughs around 12:30, I was there. Who are you? Gimme your bid spot for this month or something like that

vessbot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 27, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

26 on the CA bid list for August. DA. I'll try to mention something about stairs next time I see you.

I know your name but couldn't put a face to it... and looking up what we flew together (4 legs in January, SYR and YUL turns) didn't help at all. Sorry duder :(

e: It's alright though, now waiting for the stairs question will be that much more of an adventure

vessbot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 27, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Do you have air stairs in your house? (No seriously. The jet bridge is inop)

Bitch pleeeze! (Posting from the blast fence at LGA)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Just remembered something wrt. aviation's "small world" and this thread... Some years ago (5+) someone posted a pic from the inside of a T-34 flying around Socal. I guessed what the plane is, but the poster thought there was too little detail in the pic to reveal that, and insisted that I was someone who knew them/the airplane from real life but was playing dumb and would not reveal my identity. After some back and forth they started getting frustrated that I was some stalker that wouldn't come clean, and it was pretty funny. Nope, just an airplane ultra-nerd!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

You guys New York based? I'm spending way too much time there. Goon meet NYC?

Based there but don't live there. And my home commitments are too heavy to stay out there just to hang out :( Plus as of last night's vacancy award, I'll be based in DTW soon.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

Didn't Endeavor just open one?

Yup. Opened it with 200s a few months ago, and just yesterday the official announcement was made that we're putting 900s there, largely from the 31 of them we're getting from XJ. Even though it was widely believed already.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Hey I was in YYZ just today in a CRJ200. However I'm just far enough from my turboprop days to be a professional complainer of its discomforts.

Congrats!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
60-something, Chicago suburb

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Radios are a safety enhancement/capability increase that were originally an added layer on top of see and avoid, which was (and still is, or should be) the basic airmanship tenet. But now, due to their ubiquity, have for many people supplanted that tenet. That leads them to treat NORDO flying like some sort of cowboy or dangerous attitude. From the viewpoint of someone that learned to fly in the era when that was the status quo, that would be an extremely bizarre thing to hear.

Kinda like autopilots.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

I feel safe when I'm completely ignorant of everything going on around me too

Complete ignorance of everything going on around you is by choice.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Possible first goon airline crew? Winter here isn't so bad

Already happened. Commanded by Two Kings and... Fist Officered, by yours truly.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Wait don't you work here too? on the E175? :raise:

Nope. Endeavor.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*
*plane starts flying toward wrong fix*

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Animal posted:

“Heading select please, right turn to 160°”
“ROGER”
*flight director starts turning left*

I don't get it, was it one of those where the specified direction is the long way around?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Ah. I'm kinda spoiled by my plane that turns whichever way you spin the bug, no matter what. But most of the time I superstitiously still stop short of 180 and let it catch up some, before finishing. (Maybe I'll start trusting it just in time to get into something else, that'll turn the wrong way)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Playing it in my head, sounds plausible...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

Well it looks like the Endeavor TA passed :homebrew:

But the payroll department misread the identifier and accidentally paid Envoy instead

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Probably because the NDB predated the ILS course.

That aside, if it was important enough they could have offset the ILS course up to 3 degrees (or more if they renamed it to LDA/GS) but that would make no difference to how you fly the approach. It's "fly the NDB course till you cross the lead radial off TUS, then start intercepting the localizer" and whether you ever reach the NDB wouldn't effect that.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't remember if I've deiced in Canada yet, but captains here talk about it like the promised land of deicing efficiency and organization.

Actually I have, at YUL, but we were the only plane.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Looks like Trump has been so strict on Commercial Aviation that this thread has been quiet for 2 whole days.

e: is there like a New Year Snypa smiley?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 3, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I refreshed my schedule today to find I've been bought off a trip, for the first time. That, combined with how good PBS was to me over the holidays brings me to just shy of a few days off from a continuous month off! Suck on that "bomb cyclone!" :c00lbert:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 4, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
"If ya can't read it, ya stay out of it"

Always served me

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 5, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
The above is just some guy's supposition on PPRUNE.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Bob A Feet, please tell about the collective/power lever on the V-22. Which way does it move? In airplane mode, it's blindingly obvious that they would make it like an airplane, forward=more power. And I'm sure they wouldn't make it reverse direction when it transitions to helicopter. Which means that in helicopter mode, it would be forward= collective up.

Now normal collectives are up/down instead of forward/back, and it seems to me that the more natural remapping would be that pulling up would be the same as pulling back (you're bending your elbow and pulling the lever toward yourself). But that would mean that on the V-22, back reduces collective, which would be backwards for helicopter guys!

Do I have this all right? If so, how do helicopter guys adjust to it?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Children of the Magenta redux: "When you gaze long into the EFIS, the EFIS gazes back into you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Haha nice, I never noticed that! Now I'll see if it becomes like the Fedex arrow.