Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

SMDH, everyone knows the answer is secondary minimums.

No, the correct answer is actually "reset the altimeter so you're above the minimums".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Horizon used to operate a flight between Pullman Washington and Lewiston Idaho, which are 35 miles apart.

The record was a bit over 7 minutes, although I never managed it in under 10.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
After just under a year flying the E-175, I still forgot to turn the landing lights on pretty regularly, since the airplane I flew for the previous 8 years had all of the external light switches set up backwards from how Embraer does it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

That actually makes sense, because light switch direction somehow isn't completely standardized across the industry, so having the ability to have the switch operation match other airplanes an airline already owns is a selling point for Airbus.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Im calling bullshit on this as the only ones reporting this are aviation blogs, the Moscow Times, and a Chinese site that purports to have the memo Aeroflot sent to its flight crews. Until an actual Aeroflot pilot or a more reputable news source reports it I don't believe even Russian airline pilots would do something so brazen and stupid like fly a heavy jet with no loving brakes.

There might be some truth to it, since there's apparently a process whereby individual brakes on a main gear truck on something like a 767 can be MEL'd, so that would make more sense than totally disabling a set of brakes.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sleepy gary posted:

Does that thing have 100 degrees of flaps? What is that aircraft?

It's a T-37, which also explains why the panel is beat to hell. The flaps go to 40 degrees, but Cessna labeled them in percent for whatever reason.

As for the placard, it's there to keep the motor that slaves the heading indicator from burning out.

Normally, the heading indicator would take several minutes to spin up and slave to the compass (the "in" setting), but the "fast" switch can force it to do a quicker alignment, but that'll burn out the torque motor if done too often.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So my uncle is looking at becoming an airline pilot. He's looking at going to ATP in Colorado and he's waiting to hear if GI bill will cover his school. Is ATP a credible school? I haven't heard of it but that's not my domain either.

I'm aware there are a lot of schools that promise more than they can deliver and I want to make sure he's getting the best shot he can.

ATP is credible, but it's absolutely a case of "you get what you put into it", since their interest is just churning people through as fast as possible.

I'm not sure what their GI Bill status is, but my understanding (which is from a number of years ago, and may be wrong) is that the GI Bill won't pay for a private pilot certificate (I'm not sure how university flight programs fit in there), but it will pay for training after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Great, now all their tires are gonna be underinflated.