Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Cool, a new thread. Congrats on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ausgezeichnet posted:

AWSEFT, who'd you get on with? Frontier? I start year eight in the 7X on June 1. As such, I'm ruined for conventional aircraft for life.

I'm gonna guess either he's no longer "blue" about aviation or he has "(red) wood" because he's so excited.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
One thing to note with basicmed that at least my AME mentioned to me was that a lot of doctors are hesitant to take on that liability and therefore will not sign you off. If you can swing it, just get a 3rd class medical. My AME said that at least when they issue a 3rd class medical, if something were to happen, the FAA has their back.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I took it with a grain of salt. I think basicmed is a great idea and if I had known about it before I needed to get a special issuance for my last medical, I totally would have done it. Then I wouldn't be jumping through all this poo poo that I have to now. The FAA standards for a disqualifying event for even a 3rd class medical are absolutely outrageous. I'm guessing that if I asked my PCP to do it, they totally would.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I used to live right at the 27 approach end of KSAN and then right next to MCAS Miramar. Talk about jet noise (living next to KSAN was cool though, I could grab my scanner, go out on the balcony and watch the planes land from my 12th story apartment). I think most people get used to it after a while. I got to the point where I could sleep with all the windows open well into jet operation times and outside of noise abatement procedures. These people have literally nothing better to do with their time and just want something to complain about.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, after flying for the first time today (around some pretty cool thunderstorms), my instructor mentioned the switch to ICAO format for flight plans in the impending future. Since I've been out of the loop for a bit, this was surprising to me so I looked it up online and WTF. I liked being just /G and now I have to look up bunch of other poo poo and more paperwork so now my nice /G becomes like SGR/??? AND PBN/B2C2D2HIJKLMNOP&$$&#^@@(. gently caress box 10 and box 18.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 1, 2017

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

vessbot posted:

Blimpin ain't easy

V 11Thread title. Done. :colbert:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Looking for some clarification on alternate airports. Say I file an IFR flight plan and weather conditions at the destination are such that it doesn't meet the "1-2-3" rule. Now, I must list an alternate airport. I look around and find a small, suitable airport nearby with 2 GPS approaches (the aircraft is IFR /G and WAAS capable). However, next to both of the approaches, there's the infamous "/A\ NA," meaning that these approaches cannot be used for alternate filing consideration. (I don't plan on doing this but the airport under consideration is 0G7). Although this airport does not have any WX reporting capabilities, let's say nearby airports and area forecasts for this particular destination indicate that weather will be VFR at the time of alternate arrival. Now, the way that I interpret the regs, is that I COULD still file this guy as a "legal" alternate based on 91.169:

"(c) ...no person may include an alternate airport in an IFR flight plan unless appropriate weather reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, indicate that, at the estimated time of arrival at the alternate airport, the ceiling and visibility at that airport will be at or above the following weather minima:"

(since we have to assume that is has "no approaches" since they've been NA'd)

"(2) If no instrument approach procedure has been published in part 97 of this chapter and no special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator, for the alternate airport, the ceiling and visibility minima are those allowing descent from the MEA, approach, and landing under basic VFR."

Does this make sense? I know it's stupid given the availability of other suitable airports close by but is it legal to file as an alternate given the conditions?

edit: quick addendum, unlike an airport like KAPC (Napa, CA which says "NA when local WX not available"), 0G7 doesn't have it's own section in the "Alternate Minimums."

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 25, 2017

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Could you imagine if you did that in the US? You'd probably be put on some sort of terror watchlist and have to pay for the engine overhaul out of your own pocket.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Jepp Charts now available in Foreflight :awesome:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Dat Trump golf TFR. "Get hosed GA." -sincerely, The Donald.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Plus we also have ADS-B in on our company iPads so we can just look at those for all of that stuff.

e: also do the same for NOTAMs, check them before I leave and get any updates via ADS-B, my legs are usually 0.8-1.0 flight time and I have better things to do than get ahold of FSS so they can tell me about that 300ft unlit tower 15 miles from the airport

I can see the NTSB report now...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

AWSEFT posted:

Absolutely. I'm in Jew Kew Gardens. I walk to thru Highlands park often and eat in Forest Hills a lot. I'll PM you my schedule and we'll work something out.

Any other NY goons wanna meet up?

How about the lovely part of NY like SYR? We can get dinosaur BBQ and uh, see a polluted lake? I'd come down but gently caress my rear end if I'd fly a GA aircraft into any of those airports. That plus the TFRs make it nearly impossible to get anywhere close. I've been flying a lot for fun lately and every once in a while the thought crosses my mind again of doing it for a career. Please talk out of even dreaming about it again.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Ok, I need some assurance on this, but I am planning an IFR flight to Burlington, VT (KBTV) for later this week and on Foreflight, it's giving me this for a "last cleared by ATC" route: KRME USICI V196 RIGID V141 KEESE KBTV by a piston at 7,000. As I have a piston aircraft (Cherokee 180) and I want to file 7,000, this is great but on the IFR Low sector chart, between SLK and RIGID on V196, the MEA for eastbound flights is 9,000. As far as I understand, I can file 7,000 (since it's my initial altitude) but I'd have to at least start a climb to 9,000 after passing SLK and then I could descend back to 7,000 after RIGID since the aircraft is /G. Foreflight also usually gives a warning if you're below an MEA but it didn't in this case. It just seems dumb to have to climb to 9,000 just for 23 mile stretch. The MORAs in that area are also above 7k so I can't use that either to be lower. Is this how it's normally done? I'd assume that ATC is expecting me to start that climb after passing the SLK VOR but can they tell me to ignore the MEA and just stay at 7,000? Of course if they give me "direct" to anything while I'm at 7,000 and it's above their minimum vectoring altitude, that I can stay there as well. I'm just kind of new to this "mountain" flying and being so low.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Fair enough, I'll just do that. Thanks for the input, guys.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Animal posted:

Man, what a flight yesterday. Doing a 10 day long charter for a hockey team in a nice 767 owned by a well known billionaire. Except that its an older model and has some quirks.

2.5hr flight. On take-off we get a R ENG BLEED failure indication, then the automation decides to go HAL9000 and just not do anything we wanted to do. So while I am flying an RNAV departure on raw data, the captain is trying to communicate with ATC and then deal with the EICAS problem. After 20,000ft the automation unscrewed itself after switching modes and autopilots lke crazy. We continue the flight with the right engine bleed valve closed, which means only one PACK. Fine.

One hour into a smooth clear day flight, as we are eating the best catering I've ever had, we hit moderate to near severed mountain wave turbulence just east of BZN. No warning. We were the first aircraft to get it. The autopilot did a great job not disconnecting, but I had to toss my food aside just to get a grip of the controls. Plane was being tossed around so bad that the captain had a hard time adjusting the speed knob. And of course the flight attendants are doing their full service, so they and their food carts go zero G. Supposedly one of them made it all the way up to the ceiling. There was broken glass, food, bags, clothes, etc everywhere. They were lucky they only suffered few sprained ankles and emotional trauma. These were the young, fit flight attendants that they use for charters. I can't imagine how our elderly, overweight FA's that they use for other kinds of PAX flights would have fared.

After handling that we pressed on to our destination, where 35-40kt winds waited for us. Luckily they were only 20 degrees off the runway centerline. Great landing by yours truly. Felt like a 7 hour flight.

I can't imagine how a smaller plane would have gone through that clear air turbulence. In my 10 years of flying professionally I've been through some rough chop but this was nuts, a B767 getting tossed around as if it were a Cessna.

Whoa, scary. That's mother nature for you. At the end the the day, you're just a tiny aluminum can barreling through the atmosphere at a few hundred knots; she'll do what she wants to you.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I did a lot of my training in C, D, and B airspace and it definitely helps with talking to ATC and being in “busy” airspace. When I moved to upstate NY though, I found myself really weak on untowered operation and then you forget to close your IFR flight plan and Boston Center goes calling the FBO and then they have to tell you and it’s embarrassing. Really insist you get a healthy dose of untowered ops to help round out your training. You never know where you’ll end up.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Here's an instrument approach procedure question (again).

If an IAP has been NOTAM'd "NA," like this VOR approach, why do they still publish plate updates for it?

!FDC 7/5759 VGC IAP HAMILTON MUNI, Hamilton, NY. VOR-A, AMDT 4A... PROCEDURE NA. 1708191116-1803311116EST

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1713/05788va.pdf#nameddest=(VGC)

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Holy poo poo, gently caress that approach, seriously.

ADF Required? What is this, the 1950's?

edit: gently caress that airport. The GPS isn't much better. VFR airport only.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Indeed, smart decisions. Were you talking to ATC at all? Like approach or center? Always get flight following if they can accommodate because they’re invaluable in helping you out in a jam like that. They can look up weather and frequencies and coordinate with people on the ground much quicker while all you have to do is concentrate on flying the aircraft. ATC can be a little intimidating to new aviators but they’re there to help. Watch some of the Aopa air safety institute videos about accidents and incidents. Some of them have positive outcomes, others don’t. Many of them also feature the controllers who worked the incident and it really puts their role into perspective.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I flew across the country last weekend. First a CRJ2 from SYR to IAD, that was a fun ride, and then IAD to SAN. They had to stop service several times because of turbulence, mostly on the east coast. It wasn’t too bad though. I’ve flown my PA28 in far worse.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Commercial operators do and one of those guys will have to tell you what they are. Private pilots don’t though. We can take off in 0/0. RIP if you’re dumb enough though to do that and then have an emergency.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2018

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I’m seriously thinking about getting back into flying for a career again. I have my single-engine instrument rating and a few hundred hours but I’m thinking of slowly starting to chip away at my commercial and maybe doing some part time flying in addition to my current job. My current job pays alright but I’m slowly questioning whether traveling and being away from home for months at a time is going to take its toll on me. It’s a very fast-paced, high-stress job where my day is usually 14+ hours long and then move on to the next city. I don’t know if I’d even want to dive right into a full-on airline pilot path because I do like what I do now as well. How viable is it to get a job flying without a college degree? Even if it’s doing corporate type aviation or smaller operational jobs? I’m mainly just trying to find something that allows me to travel but is less physically demanding and keeps me out for no more than a few weeks at a time. From all that I’ve been reading on this thread lately, things seem to be looking up for everyone and maybe it’s time to start thinking about it again.

E: I’m 31 if that matters.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 15, 2018

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
It’s kind of funny with all of this weather talk lately. The older I got and the more I flew, the more I really began to educate myself about atmospheric science. It’s pretty amazing the amount of tools that we have in place that while can’t accurately predict the weather 100% of the time at every location, can definitely give a good synoptic overview for a local area up to a week in advance. Even days before, we can get a very accurate idea of what to expect and when. As a I pilot, I’m very interested in what’s happening in the environment I fly in and not just barfing out information the local TV weather-joker repeats but truly understand the why and how of the synoptic and mesoscale occurrences. In fact, we have a thread right here on these very forums about weather! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762868

I really think that once people pass all their pilot tests that learning more about the science goes out the window.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 28, 2019

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

cigaw posted:

Dude recording the ATIS sounds like he’s doing a half-hearted auctioneer impression. Never heard of VFR pattern being closed down like that. Doesn’t even seem to be on a NOTAM.

Comedy option: request IFR Pattern Work.

Two days later: “Practice approaches unavailable from 00:01-23:59L”

Fun fact: that basically did happen to me at the end of my instrument rating and basically hosed me over hard. JAX approach wasn’t accepting any practice approaches for almost a solid month years back.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 6, 2019

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Wonder what the FICON said?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

I hope the air safety institute does a case study on this as yet another lesson on the dangers of skud running.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Don’t go into aviation they said. Go into something recession-proof like concert touring. People will always go pay to see a show no matter what the economy is doing. Welp, because of the mass gathering ban, even I have now been furloughed.

The Slaughter posted:

Fuckkkkkkkkkk.
I'm doing IND-SFO, SFO-LAX on sunday. System just needs to hold together through then, plz.

I think it’ll make it. I’m sitting in SFO right now I’m the UA terminal and it’s still pretty busy.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2020

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, sorry, without the context it doesn’t make sense. I was going to go into aviation about 15 years ago but those were dark times and so I decided to go into concert touring instead. It’s more hosed right now than aviation it would seem.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

The Slaughter posted:

I finished IOE today with my line check. Actually had a great landing with a nasty crosswind in San Diego, and a big wind shift at 200 feet "Oh hello, time to get lined up with the runway again."

Did you guys do the ILS to 9? I live about 45 minutes north of the city by CRQ and it's been pouring here all day. If you haven't been into KSAN before, it's quite a cool approach.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
New thread title: Aviation Megathread 10 | "Go back to your parking space"

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Bob A Feet posted:

Anybody working ATC from NW FL to KY? Ima bout to hit you up with like 100 evacuating aircraft tomorrow hope you’re ready. Oh btw were probably gonna be all IFR

I thought I clicked the flight sim threat for a minute.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqy_cWcwI48

More auto-rotation practice, this time all the way to the ground. (As we're at our home airfield, with a known ground surface).
Really struggled with actually hitting the spot this time, but my flares/touch downs were decent.

Um, that reg is awesome. fuk gu.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Why does 'my' Arrow say to avoid 2150-2350 rpm? (Cruise is '2400 or 2000 rpm')

We had this same problem in the Cherokee I partially "owned." It took some getting used to. It was not a constant speed prop.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

You're supposed to put them on the knob for the kollsman window on a manual altimeter.

I have 100% done this quite often. Or the heading reset knob.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

KodiakRS posted:

Doesn't this mean there is only going to be 1 IFR flight in/out at a time? That alone is going to be an royal pain in the rear end let alone combined with single engine pistons trying to sequence themselves between jets on one runway. Looks like I picked a good time to be furloughed.

YOLO and cancel IFR over the San Bernardinos.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

yellowD posted:

Thanks all. Appreciate the reassurance I'm not entirely hopeless.

I do this as part of my flight planning and try to get a sense of surrounding landmarks too, on top of the GPS and Foreflight. "There's the 5 mile checkpoint, there's the stadium downtown, where the hell is the field"

Which is all good and well until it doesn't quite depict the fully grown corn field a few feet from the threshold on a short runway. That was fun.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Have you looked into a sport pilot certificate if you're serious about actually doing real flying? You only need a driver's license for a medical and it's not as intensive as a full private ticket https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

e: fuckin beaten.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Oh man in for DCS shenanigans, what planes do I need?

We do have a fair number of pilots/students in the Airgoons discord but if you’re interested in DCS, we usually do a more semi-serious, coordinated mission on our private server on saturdays at 20:00z (1pm PST) and then we try to do a casual Sunday event as well. Lately, it’s just been a coordinated group joining on public servers but there’s usually a vote. We also will do a lot of random weekday hangs. All you have to do is post in the airgoons discord that you’re looking to fly and people will usually join if there’s not already something happening.

Newcomers definitely welcome and we have a lot of people who will go through and show you the ropes for nearly any aircraft. If you want to participate in our planned missions, we only ask that you have all of that done a head of time as we don’t typically wait for one person.

Also, any of the more “modern” fighters are almost always included on saturdays (F-16, 18, 14, harrier). I’ll be gone until Sunday but PM me (Slip) in there if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

cigaw posted:

Well, boys and girls, it's time to update my info. Just passed ILOE today and I'm now an ATP MEL with a brand new E170/190 Type Rating! :toot:

Super excited, gonna start working on apps for Majors/Legacies while waiting for IOE lol

I remember when you posted you had just logged your first hour. They grow up so fast.