Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Congrats on the shiny new PPL! If you can afford it, and it's something you're already thinking about, I think it's a good idea to get a CPL even if you don't really plan to use it. The worst case is: you are a better and more knowledgeable pilot for the additional training you've received. The standards are higher, yes, but in general those are standards you should be working your way towards as a private pilot as well, and that will come with experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, you can attempt erection 5 minutes after use and... I know I certainly can't keep up with that anymore.

Aviation Megathread 10: Erection, allow 5 minutes after each use.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If the OP ever gets updated, I'm a class 2 instructor now! :getin:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There is no good North American airline now, they all suck terribly because there is no business case for "we could make it suck less, but it would cost tens of dollars more per ticket." People would rather suffer abuse than pay for decent service, and the market reflects that.

In Canada, we have an airline called Lynx. It's a joke of a loving airline for everyone involved, and I've known lots of people on both sides of that equation -- and yet, it's growing and popular, because at the end of the day, customers are like "well, sure everyone else's flight is terribly delayed and the service is horrible... but it could work for me!" Then they swear to never fly it again, until the two-week amnesia kicks in and they go "oh boy! That's very cheap, I'll buy that fare!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

what does "working alongside employees on various strategic initiatives" even mean when it involves a football player and an airline

"We can't find our rear end with both hands and a map, but Brady promises he'll bring a flashlight! It will surely turn things around."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I wouldn’t be opposed to 500hr for CFI

Canada's system is pretty good. You can start pretty early, but until you prove you know what you're doing, you're under very close supervision, sort of like an apprenticeship. If you start at 500 hours, those extra hours you spent not-instructing aren't going to make you any better at instructing. The question is: how do we take new instructors, at any TT, and make them effective, safe instructors quickly?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cigaw posted:

From what you've described about the Canadian system in the past, it really seems to add a great layer of oversight and training for new instructors. It's be great if the FAA could institute something like that.

Yeah, and now as a class 2, meaning I can supervise, it's been really rewarding because you get to have these daily discussions with the new instructors about what they've struggled with, what they've found that's worked well, and overall I think it strengthens the whole flight training unit.

Of course, you only get out of it what you put into it. If you have an instructor who treats direct supervision as an imposition rather than an opportunity to build experience beyond hours, or if you have a flight training unit where the supervision is half-assed (and, of note, there's minimal requirements for what "direct supervision" entails, per Transport Canada), then it doesn't fulfill its goal, and that comes down to the employer and the instructors involved as much as anything.

At the end of the day, flight training as an industry is on shaky loving ground as long as it's treated like a stepping stone rather than a career, and that holds true regardless of the system. It's fixable, but it requires investment from the stakeholders who are going to suffer from it turning into complete poo poo. It's not yet reached that point, not here at least, but that day is coming sooner than a lot of people would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

anyone that has any new ratings or type updates post them here so the first couple pages of the new thread won’t be shitted up by updates

CPL ASEL/AMEL / Group 1 Instrument Rating / Class 2 Instructor Rating / Implied CFII/MEI per the differences between Canadian and US regs