Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, what was Hannity "right" about with Trayvon Martin? That he was jacked up on purple drink and the guy who's been arrested like 3 more times for violent interactions with a gun was just a concerned citizen who was attacked?

I remember when Hannity was "right" about Cliven Bundy and then ran away from him when it turned out he was a big ole racist.

Trayvon Martin was demonstrably, undeniably, irrefutably, irretrievably, incontrovertibly, and with absolute certainty black. And his murderer was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I thought that too, and then the Post dropped another big one last night.

Jesus, I somehow missed that the Post dropped something else. I guess it got lost in the bombing stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chilichimp posted:

Fox's refusal to cover the Russia story has caused it to drop to 3rd and sometimes 4th place behind CNN and MSNBC. Fox has trailed those two in rating longer now than at any point in the last 17 years.

The Russia story might as well be the only thing going on in Washington.

Wait, who the hell joins in to kick Fox to 4th?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TGLT posted:

Trayvon Martin was demonstrably, undeniably, irrefutably, irretrievably, incontrovertibly, and with absolute certainty black. And his murderer was not.

If this turns out to be true, this is deeply disturbing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fox is also suffering from the loss of O'Reilly.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Without MSM focusing so much on Russia, do you think Donald "Rating" Trump would have fired Comey? Maybe, but I personally believe Trump fired him because Comey was upstaging him in the news.

Well, that is a good point. I never predicted he would have gotten so pissed off and overreacted that badly just to news coverage. I keep overestimating the guy despite myself.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What was the Post drop? I actually work and sleep and do other things sometimes and don't catch everything

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think CBS, i dunno.

I'd wager decent change that Colbert gets more viewers than whatever is on Fox at the same time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Quick observation: after the election, it seemed to be consensus that the Democrats failed because we weren't as Machiavellian as the Republicans and that it was time to drop the “when they go low, we go high” mantra.

That seems well and good but in reality, the left cannot do it, as exemplified by this Maddow debate. Disinformation and breathless speculation were very much in the "going low" toolbox of Republicans, but there's still a lot of consternation over a news anchor that acted largely responsibly. You'd never see a debate on Freerepublic on whether or not O'Reilly was acting ethically in his reporting of Benghazi.

I don't think this is a bad thing for the left, mind you; we just have to realize it's baked in disadvantage we have.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ReidRansom posted:

What was the Post drop? I actually work and sleep and do other things sometimes and don't catch everything

If there is anything interesting today it will probably drop sometimes in the next hour

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

STAC Goat posted:

CNBC? Cause if so, :laffo: that network is a bunch of get rich quick schemes after 9pm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chilichimp posted:

I think CBS, i dunno.

I'd wager decent change that Colbert gets more viewers than whatever is on Fox at the same time.

Fox is in reruns by 11. Does CBS have a news channel? I don't get it if they do, or at least I don't think I do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ReidRansom posted:

I think that was the story about Trump asking government people to lie and claim there was no Russian investigation.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought it was pretty funny when I visited my parents back in March they had MSNBC on pretty much all of the time and my dad wouldn't stop gushing about Rachel.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Don't we also get the CBO report tomorrow morning for the ACHA? Because I don't see how they will sell all these cuts to social programs along with increasing health care costs for those who will be able to afford insurance.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

STAC Goat posted:

Fox is in reruns by 11. Does CBS have a news channel? I don't get it if they do, or at least I don't think I do.

They have a streaming news channel, CBSN

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

(a) Trump asked his CIA and NSA head, personally, to deny that there was any collusion
(b) Trump's aides asked the CIA and NSA if they could make Comey shut down the investigation

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zil posted:

Don't we also get the CBO report tomorrow morning for the ACHA? Because I don't see how they will sell all these cuts to social programs along with increasing health care costs for those who will be able to afford insurance.

Judging from this story about their current ad campaign they probably just won't. Or spend as little time as possible before quickly trying to get back to talking about their mythical version of the ACA.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

I think CBS, i dunno.

but that's comparing a broadcast network to cable news, which is apples and oranges. like fox creams itself for being the highest rated cable news channel but outside of that category it gets spanked by basically anything with mild popularity

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I got overzealous and said 4th.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CBO score comes out tomorrow. The reason why it took so long is its one of the most complicated analysis they've had to do in a while because they have to try and predict which states might decide to opt out, which is hard

https://twitter.com/politico/status/867136469516857345

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

C'mon baby, I'll suck your diiiiiick for some leaks...

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Im sorry they will not matter.
Because of money

If anyone unconnected refused a subpoena you just know they would land in jail two minutes afterwards.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, what was Hannity "right" about with Trayvon Martin? That he was jacked up on purple drink and the guy who's been arrested like 3 more times for violent interactions with a gun was just a concerned citizen who was attacked?

I remember when Hannity was "right" about Cliven Bundy and then ran away from him when it turned out he was a big ole racist.

He said Trayvon Martin was a dangerous thug that deserved to die, and he still believes it. Since no-one could make him stop being awful, he must therefore be right.

fsif posted:

Quick observation: after the election, it seemed to be consensus that the Democrats failed because we weren't as Machiavellian as the Republicans and that it was time to drop the “when they go low, we go high” mantra.

That seems well and good but in reality, the left cannot do it, as exemplified by this Maddow debate. Disinformation and breathless speculation were very much in the "going low" toolbox of Republicans, but there's still a lot of consternation over a news anchor that acted largely responsibly. You'd never see a debate on Freerepublic on whether or not O'Reilly was acting ethically in his reporting of Benghazi.

I don't think this is a bad thing for the left, mind you; we just have to realize it's baked in disadvantage we have.

I think it's a lot simpler than that - a lot of leftists spent so much time saying that calling out Russia was "red-baiting" and that the only reason Hillary Clinton lost was because of insufficient leftness that the proof of Russian interference deflates their claims. They don't WANT the Russia thing to be true.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

highme posted:

I thought it was pretty funny when I visited my parents back in March they had MSNBC on pretty much all of the time and my dad wouldn't stop gushing about Rachel.

My parents are like this

They're cool, though they like Bill Maher too much for my taste (ie, at all)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

My parents are like this

They're cool, though they like Bill Maher too much for my taste (ie, at all)

My dad likes Bill Maher and I just don't get it. He has good taste in stuff otherwise

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

My parents just get whacked out on prescription drugs and watch Foxnews non stop and I am not joking when I say my father has been brainwashed by Fox News.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chilichimp posted:

Realtalk: this post is dumb as poo poo.

Let's be honest, her Trump Tax Returns thing was dumb as hell and she hyped up something that she knew was meaningless.

evilweasel posted:

two fun facts that you might not be aware of:

1) a business cannot plead the 5th
2) michael flynn, traitor, owns a business that he likely conducted his treason through

do you know who else knows these fun facts?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/867121312858353664

http://i.imgur.com/gyIB8T1.mp4

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

watch them announce a campaign to "make fox news great again."

lol they'd have to fire everyone and start over with actually reporting on stories that the nation is concerned about instead of random conspiracy theories.

like someone said upthread, people are going to other news outlets since fox refuses to cover the big orange man.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GKButterfield/status/867116138215481344
https://twitter.com/tattedpoc/status/866855071971033088

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

dont even fink about it posted:

Fox is also suffering from the loss of O'Reilly.

More like they're suffering from the prominence of Tucker Carlson :mmmhmm:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's be honest, her Trump Tax Returns thing was dumb as hell and she hyped up something that she knew was meaningless.

It was a stupid story but people lost their drat minds over one bad story/headline/episode because she tweeted once about it a couple of hours earlier. Maddow was stupid that day but so was the hysteria backlash.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
We're building up a tolerance for big news bombshells. By july, even though this shitstorm will be far from over with a daily rain of breaking news, we're going to be scouring city council reports from rural backwaters looking for any bits of drama to share, and then scratching our necks up in frustration when it isn't enough to get our fix.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
always on point

https://twitter.com/EveryoneIsDril/status/867129871817875456

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

If he gets Trump arrested, all is forgiven.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bhaal posted:

We're building up a tolerance for big news bombshells. By july we're going to be scouring city council reports from rural backwaters looking for any bits of drama to share, and then scratching our necks up in frustration when it isn't enough to get our fix.

"JAPAN BOMBS HAWAII!"

pfft, weak, come on what's the real news?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

empty whippet box posted:

The thing is, it's always been incredibly obvious. I understand the desire to wait for concrete proof or whatever, but back when Trump randomly and for no reason started defending Russia during the debates, I immediately looked at my wife and said 'Um...I bet he's colluding with Russia to rig the campaign or something.' It only got more obvious that exactly that had happened as time went on and it hasn't stopped getting more obvious at any point. It only comes across as an insane conspiracy theory to some because they've been successfully reached with propaganda painting it that way. At no point has it ever been plausible to assert that nothing fishy happened with Russia - not ever.

Plus, if Putin didn't influence Trump to bomb Syria, or had nothing to do with that incident at all, I'd honestly be shocked. He is in up to his eyeballs with Russia and Putin. We just don't know all the details yet. So I don't think it's crazy to wonder if such things happened, rather it is insane to *not* wonder.

It was obvious something was going on from the moment the Republican party platform was inexplicably changed to remove support for Ukraine.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

ReidRansom posted:

I hope this is just tonight's apéritif, because I mean, yeah that's good and all, but this isn't two weeks ago, I need something stronger.

WaPo and NYT really got us hooked on the good stuff last week. This week's news is weak poo poo that barely warrants an AP notification.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It was obvious something was going on from the moment the Republican party platform was inexplicably changed to remove support for Ukraine.

Exactly, that was when my wife started yelling "What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Rigel posted:

"JAPAN BOMBS HAWAII!"

pfft, weak, come on what's the real news?
* INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE TRUSTED SOURCES CONFIRMS TRUMP IS AN ALIEN LIZARDMAN *

Uhhh that's close but I need a pre-election tweet of him condemning all alien lizardmen :f5:

• Locked thread