Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JVNO posted:

I'm curious what the shooter's arrest record will do to Bernie. I realize he disavowed the shooter as a volunteer, and that it's pretty easy to distance himself from actions performed by the shooter after the election...

But it seems Hodgkinson had numerous priors, including domestic abuse. Is that just not something Bernie's team would have been privy to? Or not something that would be screened for potential volunteers?

When I was volunteering with the Clinton campaign during the GE last year, all they did was call me in and say 'So what hours can you phone bank/knock on doors for us'.

They don't exactly do background checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've seen basically zero mention of this on Facebook and very little on Twitter except a couple of journos.

There's stuff all over about the shooting...not sure what you're reading.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JVNO posted:

I'm curious what the shooter's arrest record will do to Bernie. I realize he disavowed the shooter as a volunteer, and that it's pretty easy to distance himself from actions performed by the shooter after the election...

But it seems Hodgkinson had numerous priors, including domestic abuse. Is that just not something Bernie's team would have been privy to? Or not something that would be screened for potential volunteers?

Who knows the scope of his volunteering. I volunteered for Obama I do t remember them running a background check on me. They just put me on a phone bank and later gave me door hangers and a list of addresses.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SocketWrench posted:

Not the sympathy, no. The whole "one of us" horse poo poo. Democrats shouldn't be cuddling up to those fuckers because a couple guys got winged since those guys are loving scum when it comes to anything representing morals or sympathy themselves. They're at this moment working to gently caress over millions and their response is :shrug: "Oh well"

If there was a shooting at your job, you'd be reacting similarly with co-workers you dislike. Give them a break they are human.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It really doesn't feel like anyone gives too much of a poo poo about this outside of politicians and people excited that a leftist did a bad thing. It's kind of eerie like violence has been so normalized in American society that even when our leaders get attacked (or attack others like in Montana) it barely registers.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JVNO posted:

Or not something that would be screened for potential volunteers?

I'd be very surprised if any screening is done for campaign volunteers.

Radish posted:

It really doesn't feel like anyone gives a poo poo about this outside of politicans and people excited that a leftist did a bad thing. It's kind of eerie like violence has been so normalized in American society that even when our leaders get attacked (or attack others like in Montana) it barely registers.

Find me a more unsympathetic target for a shooting than congress.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 14, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JVNO posted:

I volunteered for Hillary, and there was no screening. They want people to come in and make calls and stuff, they don't put you through a security clearance before you're allowed to help out. If he had high level position, that is one thing, but if he was making calls or stuffing envelopes or even knocking on doors, there is basically a 0% chance anyone asked any questions unless he acted strangely.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, yeah, but I expected one involving a senator to be way...hotter than this.

Maybe nobody is surprised that the party that's trying to actively gently caress people's healthcare is getting targeted by angry unstable people.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Republicans are absolutely ecstatic about this shooting, and they're going to crow about it and be deliriously happy about how much they get to whine and play the victim about it for months. At least until Trump does something that blows it back out of the news cycle, which will happen because Trump can't handle the news not being 100% about him all the time. I'd be more inclined to have a sympathetic attitude if they didn't ignore every actual bona fide right wing terrorist attack and pretend it didn't happen or try to blame it on the left. They didn't give a flying gently caress when Gabby Giffords was shot in the head, in fact they were happy as gently caress about that too.

I have absolutely no sympathy at all.

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe nobody is surprised that the party that's trying to actively gently caress people's healthcare is getting targeted by angry unstable people.

yeah these are people trying to pass legislation that they know full well will kill hundreds of thousands of people so they can give tax cuts to the rich. If every single one of them had died I wouldn't have shed a tear and neither should anybody else, they are monsters who deserve absolutely anything bad that happens to them no matter how horrific it is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

It really doesn't feel like anyone gives a poo poo about this outside of politicans and people excited that a leftist did a bad thing. It's kind of eerie like violence has been so normalized in American society that even when our leaders get attacked (or attack others like in Montana) it barely registers.

I mean, remember a couple weeks back? Some lady tried to run her rep off the road and it was forgotten in like a day.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JVNO posted:

Campaigns literally don't screen for poo poo. You just walk up and hey congrats you're a volunteer. They (GOP and Dems) are so desparate for people who actually want to help they'll look the other way on pretty much everything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JVNO posted:

When I volunteered for campaigns it was just walking in the door and getting to work. I can't imagine they would have done any sort of background check for anyone that wasn't actually a paid campaign worker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Night10194 posted:

I mean, remember a couple weeks back? Some lady tried to run her rep off the road and it was forgotten in like a day.

Women drivers, am I right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've seen basically zero mention of this on Facebook and very little on Twitter except a couple of journos.

A friend of mine lives nearby and heard the shots. He posted a Tupac quote. A republican got mad then someone else posted a Che quote. Someone else said good job police. That's about it on my feed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Republicans are absolutely ecstatic about this shooting, and they're going to crow about it and be deliriously happy about how much they get to whine and play the victim about it for months. At least until Trump does something that blows it back out of the news cycle, which will happen because Trump can't handle the news not being 100% about him all the time. I'd be more inclined to have a sympathetic attitude if they didn't ignore every actual bona fide right wing terrorist attack and pretend it didn't happen or try to blame it on the left. They didn't give a flying gently caress when Gabby Giffords was shot in the head, in fact they were happy as gently caress about that too.

Trump totally released a heartfelt statement about Portland!!

Jaxyon posted:

I know that's the joke, but did he really never say a thing?

He did release a pretty standard statement, a long time after the murders, and nothing approaching the level of cameras and twitter piss his admin and other republicans are trying to fluff this event up in the news over.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nonsense posted:

Trump totally released a heartfelt statement about Portland!!

I know that's the joke, but did he really never say a thing?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

I kinda get the feeling that they are going to overplay their hand here. If they come off too gleeful that they finally get to be A Victim and use it to punish their enemies it's not going to make their lovely asses any more likable. Remember how quick America burned up the good will from 9/11 when we used it as an excuse to be lovely to the world. If the GOP decides to start cracking down on freedoms even more and using this as an excuse it's not going to work outside of the people that already think they are gods.

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine lives nearby and heard the shots. He posted a Tupac quote. A republican got mad then someone else posted a Che quote. Someone else said good job police. That's about it on my feed.

It made my friend and his wife late for work. That's about as much as anyone I know cares.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Why can't it ever be good news when the thread has 1000+ new posts over night.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's front page literally everywhere and is the top trending story on both Twitter and Facebook, sorry your retarded nephew isn't tweeting about it or linking it on FB

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Why would there be a background check for political volunteers? They aren't looking after kids, they don't have any opportunity to commit crimes. Political campaigns don't have infinite money, and besides, this would be a good way for ex-criminals to feel involved in democracy even if they lost the right to vote.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The narrative that really needs to come out of this that we have one party who wants to make it easier and realistically affordable for people to get mental health care before they start shooting or stabbing people, and one party that wants to make it much harder or unaffordable. The latter is fighting hard to make things even worse on that front right now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

"Well it's no surprise that the party that's trying to impose crushing taxes on everyone and destroy healthcare are getting targeted by angry unstable people. If these taxes mean you don't have enough to get by on anymore, can you blame them?"
-Some GOP person somewhere in 2009.

Even though I'm not sobbing my eyes out over this, people still shouldn't be shooting each other.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nazzadan posted:

It's front page literally everywhere and is the top trending story on both Twitter and Facebook, sorry your retarded nephew isn't tweeting about it or linking it on FB

My nephew actually is severely impaired bya developmental disorder, jerk.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

But an attack on all Americans is GOP SOP and no cause for alarm plebes.

This is why Democrats always lose and I'm loving sick of it. There's an attack on Democrats and Republicans twist it to fit their narrative or outright deny reality and gain advantage, there's an attack on Republicans and Democrats reflex into the submissive position and ask what they can do to kiss the boo-boo and give the Republicans the advantage. It's a loving boxing match where one side agrees to follow the rules and the other constantly delivers kicks to the crotch.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is the first non-false flag shooting in years according to Paul Joseph Watson.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Spacebump posted:

If there was a shooting at your job, you'd be reacting similarly with co-workers you dislike. Give them a break they are human.

My coworkers I dislike aren't trying to remove my healthcare or cut my pay rate or increase my taxes though. They're just assholes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

The narrative that really needs to come out of this that we have one party who wants to make it easier and realistically affordable for people to get mental health care before they start shooting or stabbing people, and one party that wants to make it much harder or unaffordable. The latter is fighting hard to make things even worse on that front right now.

Yeah the Democrats can use today to hold solidarity with their co-workers but if they allow the Republicans to use this to paint the narrative that they are the passive victims of violent rhetoric instead of the other way around and don't push the fact that there are things we should be doing to lower violence nationwide by playing along more than that they are beyond useless.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I feel a bit bad for the cops and staffers involved. They took a bullet to protect someone who wants to destroy their benefits.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That explains why he isn't tweeting about the hottest story right now, I wish him the best of luck in Minecraft 4k.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nonsense posted:

This is the first non-false flag shooting in years according to Paul Joseph Watson.

Lmao

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
https://twitter.com/hspaulds/status/875033366973870080

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Democrats are a waste of good voting power. Their whole platform is built on shame. We need stronger willed leftists.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

But an attack on all Americans is GOP SOP and no cause for alarm plebes.

This is why Democrats always lose and I'm loving sick of it. There's an attack on Democrats and Republicans twist it to fit their narrative or outright deny reality and gain advantage, there's an attack on Republicans and Democrats reflex into the submissive position and ask what they can do to kiss the boo-boo and give the Republicans the advantage. It's a loving boxing match where one side agrees to follow the rules and the other constantly delivers kicks to the crotch.

That is absolute horseshit and you know it. The GOP were saying the exact same things in 2009 when Gabby Giffords got shot as the Dems are now.

Paul Ryan, 2009 posted:

Statement from Paul Ryan on Tragedy in Tucson, Arizona

Wisconsin's First District Congressman Paul Ryan issued the following statement regarding the shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona:

"I am deeply saddened by today's tragic shooting of my colleague Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, members of her staff and residents in Tucson, Arizona. My thoughts and prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords and her family, along with those impacted by this senseless act of violence."

http://www.wxow.com/story/13809959/statement-from-paul-ryan-on-tragedy-in-tucson-arizona

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why have you been allowing him to post on your SA account?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

axeil posted:

"Well it's no surprise that the party that's trying to impose crushing taxes on everyone and destroy healthcare are getting targeted by angry unstable people. If these taxes mean you don't have enough to get by on anymore, can you blame them?"
-Some GOP person somewhere in 2009.

Actually we talked about how the GOP rhetoric about Obamacare might cause shooters back then, except those shooters would have been exponentially dumber than current shooters.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is a little upsetting that a shooting where nobody was seriously injured is looking to blow up harder then the portland stabbings or orlando shooting or insert a dozen other acts of violence.

But I don't want the country to get to the point where political based murders are commonplace.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So are there people in this thread that are angry that Nancy Pelosi isn't cheering on the guy who shot a bunch of congressmen? Like are you guys serious or just trolling?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My question is, where were the parents in all this?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

From the NYT profile

quote:

Just Tuesday morning, Mr. Hodgkinson posted a cartoon on Facebook explaining “How does a bill work?” “That’s an easy one, Billy,” the cartoon reads. “Corporations write the bill and then bribe congress until it becomes law.”

“That’s Exactly How It Works.....” Mr. Hodgkinson wrote.

Why Do Crazy People Capitalize Every Word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

So are there people in this thread that are angry that Nancy Pelosi isn't cheering on the guy who shot a bunch of congressmen? Like are you guys serious or just trolling?

No, I'm upset that Louie Gohmert wasn't shortstop.

• Locked thread