Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FizFashizzle posted:

Mike pence almost certainly knew Flynn was dirty and said nothing.

It will be very difficult for him to survive this.

It's also very unlikely ryan didn't know what was going on.

The constitution was not designed to withstand this kind of scandal, tbqh.

Not saying anything and did his best to not know is Pence's only shot at becoming president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: If they can't see me, they can't punch me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Look one post above yours, or at the post that I was originally responding to on the last page. People really want there to be one weird trick that Democrats can pull, but as long as we have less than 67 seats in the Senate there's really no impeachment scenario that goes down with the consent of at least some Republicans.

Actually, I don't even know what happens if the House or Senate refuses to confirm a VP pick in the case of that position being vacant.

I know, I just find it insane. The most likely scenario is Trump finishing his term. The second most likely scenario is Pence finishing out the term. A distant third is a placeholder compromise republican like John Kasich. President Pelosi isn't anywhere on that list.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Trump administration pushing to weaken Russia sanctions bill: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338266-trump-administration-pushing-to-weaken-russia-sanctions-bill-report

But gently caress Cuba lol
Being soft on Russia seem to be the only thing Donnathan is consistent about.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Trump doesn't like the taste of polonium.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Paradoxish posted:

Look one post above yours, or at the post that I was originally responding to on the last page. People really want there to be one weird trick that Democrats can pull, but as long as we have less than 67 seats in the Senate there's really no impeachment scenario that goes down with the consent of at least some Republicans.

Actually, I don't even know what happens if the House or Senate refuses to confirm a VP pick in the case of that position being vacant.

It stays vacant. In the event the president exits office, we skip straight to the house speaker.

This, incidentally, will be the argument that republicans will use if a newly enSpeakered Pelosi blocks a VP choice.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I bet Trump would switch on Russia if a bunch of news stories came out saying he was scared of them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I bet Trump would switch on Russia if a bunch of news stories came out saying he was scared of them.

He can't, Putitin showed him the peepee gif.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's so blatant too.

Did we ever figure out why exactly Republicans changed their platform last year to oppose supporting Ukraine militarily?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He can't, because he really IS scared of them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/876104444068454400
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/876154315353845760
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/876117874934509569
https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/876111946013081600
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/876144440196431877
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876107248271020033
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/876138266847739904
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/876166575069569024
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/876093737801203713
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/876136113768992769
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/876064580207857673

Aside from the USS Fitzgerald and Cosby it's been a bit of a slow news day in the US.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Paradoxish posted:

Man, I don't really know how to be more clear in what I'm saying.

The point I'm making isn't that Pence won't or can't be impeached, it's that I don't think the GOP will allow an impeachment that puts a Democrat into the White House. The scenario I'm laying out here is one where Pence only needs to hold office for exactly as long as it will take for him to appoint a VP and have that VP confirmed by the House and Senate. There's absolutely no reason for Republicans not to demand that, even in a hypothetical scenario where they're doing the right thing and cleaning house.

Impeachment is not a criminal trial. It doesn't carry any penalty beyond removal from office, so Mike Pence being sworn in for a day and then resigning is not meaningfully different from him simply being impeached alongside of Trump. If we're going to go off into Clancychat land and talk about Pence refusing to step down, then there's nothing stopping Congress from simply impeaching him for that.

And I don't know how to be more clear in what I am saying:

A Vice-President who has engaged in espionage against the United States will not be allowed to become President.

Do you agree or disagree?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Edit: Nevermind, now I'm not??

Twitter bug I guess

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. This is most likely why he hired his own lawyer. I mean has a Vice President ever done that? AFAIK it's unprecedented.

Spiro Agnew, presumably

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

A Vice-President who has engaged in espionage against the United States will not be allowed to become President.

Yeah, and a rapist bigot russian puppet with no government experience who has had like 5 dozen businesses go bankrupt will never be president.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Eeyo posted:

This just really frustrates me. Why does calling someone who (allegedly) raped you mean you're not guilty?

There's nothing wrong with calling him a couple times and asking what happened, what the gently caress, yelling at him, etc.

He's obviously guilty as hell, but in this case she called him over 50 times and had long conversations. Thats a big problem for the prosecution.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

Aside from the USS Fitzgerald and Cosby it's been a bit of a slow news day in the US.

Although it is almost Saturday night...

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

empty whippet box posted:

Yeah, and a rapist bigot russian puppet with no government experience who has had like 5 dozen businesses go bankrupt will never be president.

That is a good point.

If we accept that Donald Trump's ascent was unprecedented, why is it impossible that his decline, and the decline of those around him, will be just as unprecedented?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rigel posted:

There's nothing wrong with calling him a couple times and asking what happened, what the gently caress, yelling at him, etc.

He's obviously guilty as hell, but in this case she called him over 50 times and had long conversations. Thats a big problem for the prosecution.

Weird how no other crime anywhere on earth has that weird "if you talk to them more after it's retroactively not illegal anymore" rule applied to it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Trump administration pushing to weaken Russia sanctions bill: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338266-trump-administration-pushing-to-weaken-russia-sanctions-bill-report

But gently caress Cuba lol

Didn't Trump dunk on the House about how "mean" their version of the AHCA was? Why should the house listen to him to back this bi-partisan widely-accepted initiative? It's like the only thing we can all agree on

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

glowing-fish posted:

Disagree, I guess?

I mean, look, if you want to have this particular discussion then I think you need to lay out what it is exactly that you believe Pence will be accused of and what level of evidence you think will be available. A president facing a hostile Congress that's ready to impeach has no power, so I don't really see why the GOP would be hesitant to put Pence into that position for long enough to appoint a replacement. I'm not even talking about this being a result of the current hyper partisan state of US politics, because I honestly don't think Democrats would have a problem with it either.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/theferocity/status/876196096455958528

quote:

"As advocates for people living with HIV, we have dedicated our lives to combating this disease and no longer feel we can do so effectively within the confines of an advisory body to a president who simply does not care," they wrote.

"The Trump Administration has no strategy to address the on-going HIV/AIDS epidemic, seeks zero input from experts to formulate HIV policy, and—most concerning—pushes legislation that will harm people living with HIV and halt or reverse important gains made in the fight against this disease."

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

whatever7 posted:

Not saying anything and did his best to not know is Pence's only shot at becoming president.

Actually, since the vice president can't be fired by the president, Pence could have helped the investigation along to get Trump impeached.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only way you'll get the Trumps to care about HIV/AIDS is to infect them all with it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

#MAGA!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

of course not, you can't get HIV from piss play

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

of course not, you can't get HIV from piss play

Dunno what sort of vanilla piss play you're into, friend

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Piss comes in flavors? :confused:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crabtree posted:

The only way you'll get the Trumps to care about HIV/AIDS is to infect them all with it.

I support this plan, but for the entire GOP.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/876206042937524224

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dick Trauma posted:

Get a load of this guy lol

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

I'm happy that recent drama kept him out (I think) but then poo poo that means he's staying here.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

He wants to focus on small, local projects, where he can watch people die in pain and fear personally, not just receive a report every day telling him how many people died in pain and fear under his care. :shobon:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OctaMurk posted:

Actually, since the vice president can't be fired by the president, Pence could have helped the investigation along to get Trump impeached.

Or perhaps... he already is. :tinfoil:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shir. I am a man of shpecial conscience. But I killed the Husnock. I killed them all. There is no punishment to fit my client's crime.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Acid Haze posted:

I'm happy that recent drama kept him out (I think) but then poo poo that means he's staying here.

Or, even worse, Trump has bigger plans for him yet!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Teddybear posted:

It stays vacant. In the event the president exits office, we skip straight to the house speaker.

This, incidentally, will be the argument that republicans will use if a newly enSpeakered Pelosi blocks a VP choice.

We're going to get a West Wing style scenario where something will come out that will force Pence to resign (like he touched a few too many choir boys at Church or something) before the investigation is over. And Trump will end up treating the VP seat like the hundreds of other appointee seats that he hasn't given a second thought to when the hammer will come down from the investigation forcing him out.

You can't call it a coup if the President is too dumb and distracted to appoint a new VP. :v:

The real question is who get's Pelosi's seat in the special election after she resigns to become President.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Did he ever actually receive the nomination or is he just rescinding that he said he did?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Classic and Asparagus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

AlternateNu posted:

We're going to get a West Wing style scenario where something will come out that will force Pence to resign (like he touched a few too many choir boys at Church or something) before the investigation is over. And Trump will end up treating the VP seat like the hundreds of other appointee seats that he hasn't given a second thought to when the hammer will come down from the investigation forcing him out.

You can't call it a coup if the President is too dumb and distracted to appoint a new VP. :v:

The real question is who get's Pelosi's seat in the special election after she resigns to become President.

That wouldn't happen because the Senate wouldn't vote to impeach Trump. The choice the Senators in 2019 would be vote to impeach Trump and get primaried in their home state because they brought on a thousand years of liberal darkness President Pelosi or not vote to impeach Trump and squeak by in the 2020 re-election.

• Locked thread