Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
WaPo and NYT have been dropping their leaks during late afternoon early evening to dominate evening news and drive interest before the morning editions. Got about 2 more hours or so before the end of the likely Mattering window for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Unfortunately this happened in 2013 in a pre-Trump world.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

There is a head of the FBI, it's the acting director, and he will stay head of the FBI until someone is confirmed.

Not quite. I believe Trump can appoint an acting director within the limits of 5 U.S. Code § 3345.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3345

Namely an FBI person of GS -15 + who was there for at least 90 days prior to the Comey firing or someone who has been approved by the Senate for a different office, if I've read the legalese correctly.

Either action would likely cause .. complications.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Supremezero posted:

It would also require Trump to know the name of any member of the FBI.

Well if Mulder isn't a GS-15 he should be!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Eh, does anyone actually believe the poo poo in red-text? Getting some whiny piss-baby to custom-title you is a badge of honor in my book.

You're not a Falcons fan?

I'm stuck on the nuclear subs tidbit. It's something that is really hard to go after in a public forum as no one in their right mind would talk about

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

No, I am a Falcons fan.

I mean if you're going to admit to the most damning allegation I'm not sure how much room you have to complain about red text....

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Huh

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/james-runcie-education-department-resigns-238762

quote:

Top Education Department official resigns
James Runcie, head of the agency's student aid office, submitted his resignation last night, effective immediately.

By MICHAEL STRATFORD and KIMBERLY HEFLING 05/24/2017 10:37 AM EDT Updated 05/24/2017 12:29 PM EDT

The head of the Education Department’s student financial aid office has resigned after more than seven years on the job following an apparent dispute with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over his scheduled testimony before the House Oversight Committee.

James Runcie, chief operating officer of the Office of Federal Student Aid, “submitted his resignation to the department last night,” effective immediately, the agency said in a press release. Runcie had been slated to testify on Thursday before the House Oversight Committee regarding the department’s rising improper payment rate for federal student aid programs.

An Education Department official, who declined to be named, said Runcie’s resignation came abruptly at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday after DeVos directed him to testify before the House oversight panel. The department official said Runcie also refused requests to testify made by the committee and Jim Manning, the department’s acting undersecretary.

Runcie’s name is included on a committee witness list for the hearing. The Education Department’s Inspector General and the head of a group representing financial aid administrators are also slated to testify. A committee spokesperson did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The department official said Runcie said he wasn’t the correct person to testify about the issue, but department leadership indicated they didn't understand his reasoning and are baffled by his refusal to testify.

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” the official said. “We don’t know.”

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

There's apparently a tradition that only Catholic queens can wear white while visiting the pope. As to whether that requires everyone else to wear black, I don't know

Traditionally yes, although required is less apt than expected.

Francis has relaxed the expectation but the Trumps went in very traditional.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/melania-ivanka-trump-stuck-traditional-vatican-dress-codes-meeting/

cited as explanation and for the pic of Michelle in traditional veil.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/867451298353905665

Get hosed Spicer.

quote:

Pres. Trump met with Pope Francis and Sean Spicer, a Catholic who eagerly anticipating the meeting, wasn't with him

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

NEW: Comey's decision to go public with Clinton announcement was influenced by a fake Russian document

gently caress everything.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

From guardian liveblog

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ncert-live-news

quote:

Ministers 'furious' at US leaks

The UK government has expressed its anger after photographs apparently showing fragments from the Manchester bomb were leaked to the New York Times. A Whitehall source said:

"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable. These images leaked from inside the US system will be distressing for victims, their families and the wider public. The issue is being raised at every relevant level by the British authorities with their US counterparts."

The images appeared just hours after the home secretary, Amber Rudd, told the US authorities not to leak information. That came after details about the attack emerged in American media on Tuesday before being confirmed by British police. Rudd had said that she was “irritated” by the early release of Salman Abedi’s name and had made “very clear” to American counterparts that no further leaks should happen.

The row goes to the heart of the close intelligence-sharing relationship between the transatlantic allies and provides an awkward backdrop to Theresa May’s meeting with the US president, Donald Trump, at the Nato summit in Brussels on Thursday.

It's been obvious since the bombing everything being sent to the US was being leaked as American networks continually broadcast info that wouldn't be confirmed by the British Authorities until hours later.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

fsif posted:

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

As an answer to that I will point out his district includes part of Milwaukee county which elected David Clarke.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

Breaking: Top Russian Officials Discussed How to Influence Trump Aides Last Summer https://nyti.ms/2qXKrOo

I'm unclear on how this is different from the previous story on this subject.

Here's the CNN story form last week.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/

farraday fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 24, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

You think Ohio and Michigan are on the east coast? Wow, Montana has some bad schools.

Also apparently 45k population Binghamton is a city.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

If it was in Montana that would be the third-biggest, I believe. A veritable metropolis!

Yeah we... have a bit of empty space. :shobon:

e; but yeah everything east of the Mississippi is an undifferentiated mass of East Coast.

Truly a thriving industrial center!

So Sasse was on fox news justnow talking about how the House bill was doa in the Senate and they're writing their own bill. Fair enough, but he was hyping the importance of healthcare that followed you through job changes and moves.

No faith at all in Sasse but if I'm correct he isn't on the list of Republican Senators putting together the bill right? It seems to me like the Republicans in the Senate are pushing to swap the order and deal with tax "reform" next and not healthcare.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It is.

gently caress you Andrew Jackson, you genocidal Toledo-stealing piece of poo poo.

You lost the Toledo war fair and square you revanchist bastard!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Joke's on all of you, the UP turned out to be full of riches!

Yeah, rich white people.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/867511341359263744

AARP ad targeting Republican Senators, thoughts?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lote posted:

Montana is a weird East Coast state. This may help him depending on the audio.

Did he body slam him into the salty ocean water? Crucial details missing from story.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Ekster posted:

This is going to court and Trump will pardon Gianforte.

Can't pardon him for a state crime.

If he were arrested and refused to resign, the house with 2/3rds majority could expel him.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

And fox news opening their 9 o clock broadcast with.... Bono.

Man I wonder how their ratings are going to be?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hard to understand how an at large district can be so heavily weighed in favor of republicans but elect a democratic senator at least twice in a row. That's the same district isn't it?

If by district you mean state, yes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

South Carolina to replace Mulvaney. Don't get your hopes up.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Whatever, haters. Can't fly if you don't try. :dukedog:

Do your best, I'd love to win back Frank Underwood's seat.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Andrast posted:

Maybe she heard that Trump really likes maps

Unfortunately the map showed huge swaths of the planet red and Trump misunderstood completely.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

Here's the thing that I keep mulling over. Let's say it's November 6th, 2016, and Hillary bodyslams a Fox News reporter.

....we'd all still vote for her, right? I mean, we wouldn't feel great about it, but most of us didn't feel great voting for her anyway. And I'd take a Hillary that beats the poo poo out of reporters over Trump any day, no question.

I mean I'd have voted for Obama if he'd called McCain "whitey" so who am I to condemn anyone calling him a n.. (airhorn).

This is dumb.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

Calling a white dude 'whitey' and a black person the n-word are not even remotely equivalent.

This is a dodge.

Oddly enough a Republican candidate choke slamming a reporter and a hypothetical Hillary Clinton choke slamming a reporter are not in any way equivalent either.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

If we can get away from this stupid hypothetical.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867801107447336960

quote:

NBC News: 4th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld the nationwide block Trump's travel ban executive order, @PeteWilliamsNBC reports

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I'm looking at it but it looks to me like the ruling was 10-3?

Lots of opinion.

quote:

Affirmed in part, vacated in part by published opinion. Chief Judge Gregory wrote the
opinion, in which Judges Motz, King, Wynn, Diaz, Floyd, and Harris joined in full.
Judge Traxler wrote an opinion concurring in the judgment. Judge Keenan wrote an
opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, in which Judge Thacker
joined except as to Part II.A.i. Judge Wynn wrote a concurring opinion. Judge Thacker
wrote a concurring opinion. Judge Niemeyer wrote a dissenting opinion, in which Judges
Shedd and Agee joined. Judge Shedd wrote a dissenting opinion, in which Judges
Niemeyer and Agee joined. Judge Agee wrote a dissenting opinion, in which Judges
Niemeyer and Shedd joined.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Hmm fox news anchor saying if Britain had a travel ban the Manchester attack might not have happened.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/stevekovach/status/867825115865784320

I'm not sure his platform will resonate with the American people.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Hey, it's higher than the percent of the vote he got. That's a win!

(Rasmussen is poo poo)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

That burned down in April of '93 tho. Why did it take six weeks to sink in?

May 93

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_travel_office_controversy

Look at it! Look how loving quaint it is!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lote posted:

Waco dude

You seem to have problems with math. Wave happened in April and Clinton hit bottom at the end of May. In point of fact Waco dropped him from his high down to around 50% and then travelgate knocked him to his low.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lote posted:

Gallup only measured approval ratings every two weeks back then. Waco took him from 55% to 45% between the end of April and mid May

Which still wasn't his low, which, as measured by Gallop 4 weeks later Jun 5-6 at 37% after Travelgate. But please tell me more about how it was Waco.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I believe it. There have been enough rumblings of discontent out there to make it clear the Senate republicans aren't embracing health reform as the priority it has been for the house. The real key is to find a discontent to latch on to that isn't just the house bill so they can't dismiss it with the claim they're doing their own version.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Nah, after doing nothing during Comey's firing and Trump asking Intel folks to lie for him which are borderline literal charges raised against Nixon, GOP has crossed the Rubicon and are committed to riding out this loving hellstorm.

Frankly I won't be surprised if the Mueller report comes out and basically says "like half this administration is controller by Russia, here's tapes and video and phone calls" and the GOP only gets mildly concerned and puts him up for 2020.

This is about AHCA not Trump.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

"For example, no one has sanctioned Kasparov yet! We have an entire list of prominent Russians provided by our sources that should be sanctioned!"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So if I were hypothetically to erect a monument of Confederate soldiers being hanged for treason, no one could take it down?

No.

quote:

The bill will block local governments from removing monuments that have been on public property for more than 40 years. It also prevents renaming public schools that have stood for 40 years.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Spaced God posted:

As I alluded to in the post above, the Rosenbergs were convicted of Espionage, not treason

So was Aldrich Ames. I doubt anyone would find many in the intelligence community who wouldn't describe him as a traitor, regardless of the strict legal definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Guys I think the G7 +1 went really well, but I'm afraid were going to run out of autocracies willing to throw elaborate galas to hype Trump up before his fiuture international obligations. Just think of how much worse it could have gone if he didn't get his ego inflating positive reinforcement first.

• Locked thread