Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What the gently caress, SA? You can't be constantly feeding me Trump Administration gently caress-ups and news bombs and then cut off my supply like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

That's my congressman. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RC Cola posted:

The second thread, it has to be the second year then right?

Wake up, forums poster RC Cola, this is the second term.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Trump idea: Hire Mueller as FBI director, then he can't continue working as special prosecutor :science:

Misread this as "Hire Mulder".

That would be awesome if Trump thought he was a real FBI agent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Skyline chili is an atrocity. But god drat that cheese is the poo poo. When I lived in Cincinnati I would order cheese coneys with no chili just because that cheese is so good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Dress for the job you want, right Melania?

:eyepop:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Moatman posted:

I mean, the concept of chili on pasta is fine, it's just the execution that fails.

I'm pretty anxious about the Montana special election.

The problem is that its not actual chili. Skyline Chili is chili in the same way that ketchup is tomato sauce.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I always think its really telling when Christians identify with the weirdo cultish Christians enough to be offended when they are portrayed in the media somehow.

I guess it goes for any bigot though. For example when someone says "Racist white people are bad" and a bunch of white people get all offended, not realizing that they just outed themselves as racist.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Comey will be remembered as one of the greatest stooges in US history.

If he brings down this administration, it will have been worth it and I would support building a monument to him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Really? Trump may launch a strike on North Korea? If that happens. what then?

Your terrible posting ends?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

this doesn't give me hope for any Russian investigation if they can't even do the basics right

The Russian investigation isn't being run by the FBI, its an independent investigator with his own team.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SubG posted:

"Support for the bill remains high among surviving Trump voters."

Literal survivorship bias.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

Woah. It's almost as if you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lmao can we talk about this goddamn nonsense for a bit

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

Not to mention the fact that Ohio is flat and New York is mountainous. Despite the fact that the states are only separated by like 30 miles, they could not be more different.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The meanings of the words "mountain" and "coast" have been rewritten by the mighty forums posters from Montana! So it is written.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lemming posted:

Hail orb

The chaos orb claims its first of many victims.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People forget but prior to World War II the American Nazi Party was large enough that they held sold out rallies in Madison Square Garden.

It's nothing new. And again another example that things in the past were more hosed up then they are now.

Literally every decade of the 20th century was just as (but mostly more) hosed up than any of the last 20 years. Even the mostly "idyllic" 90's that oversaw the fall of the Soviet Union was full of terrorism (WTC, OKC, USS Cole, etc.) and saw dumb poo poo like DADT. People's memories are poo poo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what do you mean here? Why would a White Supremacist get mad about what happened to the Branch Davidians? They were a kooky Christian cult but I don't think race had anything to do with it. I've seen a black survivor of the group on an interview show.

White nationalists and militia types viewed it as big government (specifically the ATF) coming to get the guns from the Branch Davidians. In fact, weapons are what brought the compound to the ATF's attention initially.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Trump Thread II: Violence may not be the greatest thing, but...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I should definitely call Rob Portman next week? He's moderate enough to actually be swayed, right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

loving lol. This is a real sentence in a political analysis article in 2017.

quote:

One complicating factor in how the Gianforte body slam will affect tonight’s election is that a lot of the vote was cast pre-slam.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I no joke have the exact same first and last name of a member of Congress. I've thought about what nefarious poo poo I can get away with by utilizing it, but he's a democrat and he seems pretty cool so I don't wanna find out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

States can't go bankrupt.

"Bankrupt" in this sense means "insolvent" not bankrupt as in the legal concept.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I hope someone has information on the random hobo that killed Seth Rich and Martin Skittles has to pay that person $100,000.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Regarding ratings at Fox News and readership at Breitbart, I believe the big problem for the GOP is that when your team is losing big, you turn the game off and you don't watch Sportscenter the next day. If their base disengages because they feel like their guy is "losing" or embarrassing them, then it also translates to lower voter turnout.

People on this very forum repeatedly say "nothing matters" and that is true for a small but loud portion of the GOP base. The "sane" portion (if you can call it that) are tuning out because they're sick of their guy getting dunked on. If the Democrats take back the House in 2018 it'll be because of lower voter turnout among the GOP base.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Chuck Todd just pointed out on Meet the Press that Trump used "In my opinion..." in a tweet for the first time ever (they checked). So maybe the lawyers got to him. Sort of.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He truly became president an adult with that tweet

More accurate.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does that guy realize that Christianity is a monotheistic religion?

Is he a follower of the Old Norse gods?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

Please just stop. Your country is full of utter loving morons, who elected an utter loving moron for president. You can quibble about the exact numbers, but in the end, America made its choice, and it chose a man in its own image: an intellectually incurious, bigoted, fat sack of poo poo. All the protests and hand-waving in the world can't change that, until we (the rest of the world) see Trump dragged out of the white house in handcuffs like he deserves.

(Ignores the nationalism, isolationism, and bigotry taking over around the world)

The US may be uniquely in the spotlight when it comes to this but the US is not unique in voting for dumb poo poo. It is a giant piece of a much larger puzzle. You're not wrong in your assessment of many Americans. Where you are wrong is pretending this is unique to America.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

I live in a conservative city in a conservative province. There was no hope to elect liberal politicians for... decades at least. And then enough people loving got out and voted, and the Conservative party got loving turfed out of provincial government, and we sent a Liberal MP to the federal legislature. Good loving thing the people around here weren't a bunch of whiners who "felt powerless" because things weren't going their way. "Sure things" are only sure when people give up trying to make a change.

Who are you lecturing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Last night was NJ primary to see who from each party will run for Chris Christy's replacement and numbers are very interesting.

http://www.nj.gov/state/elections/election-results/2009-official-primary-elect-governor-tallies-062909.pdf

More people voted for the winning Democrat than voted in the entire Republican Primary.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Tim Ryan wrote a pretty scathing critique of the Democratic Party following the losses in both special elections: Special Elections: I Don't Believe in Moral Victories

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boon posted:

Tim Ryan tried to unseat Pelosi after the election, so yes, of course he did.

He's not wrong though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boon posted:

His opening line was how went to campaign in South Carolina and then continues to be disappointed. So...

Hmmmmm, I wonder if you even read past the first line.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress you couldn't script this woman's life better for a run for politics if you tried. poo poo, run her for President.

She's even married with 2.5 kids, she's the literal perfect mold of a candidate.

The eventual biopic about President McGrath will begin with Mitch McConnell (played by a Galopagos Giant Tortoise) throwing away a letter from young Amy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Little Mac posted:

...John Cena?

Quite a shocking heel turn.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Confederate statues aren't history. Battlefields are history, the Confederate White House in Richmond is history. The statues are tacky lawn ornaments designed to whitewash and intimidate. Tear them all down, grind them up, and make them into bricks.

The irony that they were protesting the removal of a statue of a traitor and enemy to America while wearing the emblem of a former enemy of America all in the name of "protecting" their America is lost on them I guess.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Now that the veil has been lifted on white supremacy and snapped a lot of clueless white people out of the "racism is over" slumber they were in, is this a turning point? Did we need this to happen? Or is this the start of something much much worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Just maybe the white people who listen to us and did see it coming weren't the ones being talked about?? maybe it was the white people whose minds did get blown who were being discussed?? maybe when a group of people is specified it's just that group of people that's the subject of the conversation?? maybe if you just see "white people" and assume it means you, you are just inserting yourself for no reason?? maybe you are the problem??

To be fair, I don't buy this argument when I call out my father in law for saying "black people need to [insert his solution to some black negative stereotype]" and he backtracks by saying "I didn't mean all black people" (just the "ghetto" ones) and I doubt you would either.

• Locked thread