Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Trump has managed to break everyAmerican's brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

A lovely Reporter posted:

He has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life, you self-congratulating lazy gently caress.

Yes lets idolize the president that continued the dismantling of privacy and saw massive increases on individuals data collection.

He's also responsible for a massive increase in drone strikes and bombings that killed a horrendous amount of civilians around the world.

Keep on fetishizing him though because he did something nice for gay people and put in a healthcare system that only puts people halfway to bankruptcy.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Burt Buckle posted:

I would give a nut to have that monster Obama be our president instead of Donald Trump.

You're not doing obamas legacy any favors by comparing him in any way to trump. It would be pretty hard to find a worse president than him.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
America has gone full parody. You never go full parody.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

And that's all we need to know. A hack with and infinitesimal probability of ever being deployed. Thanks ~infosec dudes~

The Russian state seems to have managed to get access to the current POTUS and his staff, is it really that far fetched that they would be able to get a few minutes of access to a voting machine to transfer some files or run some code?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

yes in a perfect world the entire housing/mortgage system will change, but in a world where billionaires and millionaires pay, a what, 10% effective tax rate, then maybe there's other places to start raising taxes?

also it's crazy that people won't admit that yes, there are areas of this country where you can live paycheck to paycheck making $100,000 year and cannot afford to buy a home. and yes, there are people who survive making much less in those areas, but that doesn't change the fact that variable cost of living is a real thing.

and what I took issue with is people smugly posting "well I survive on $10,000 a year! stop whining you rich bourgeois fake liberal!"

and there's a reason I moved the gently caress out of NoVA/DC and now live in an area where the median home cost is $225,000

Lol if you don't have kids and spend more than 50k on living expenses a year and complain about how poor you are. No one has to buy a house lol. Learn to budget and maybe dont buy a house because of pride of ownership or w/e.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

He's right, Obama should be remembered for continuing and enforcing American hegemony with some mediocre progressive achievements peppered in.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

don't forget turning what would have been great depression II into a semi-stable mediocre growth economy.

The problem is that the solution he provided will likely cause a bigger economic collapse in the near future. I didn't expect him to fix the American economy though, that's a nearly impossible task. I expected him to not do things like continuing the bombing of innocent people into the ground, supporting the TPP as well other various corporate shill decisions he's made.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

stone cold posted:

hi im majorian and im celebrating the death of a fellow human being but somehow im not a revolting ghoul

:gb2gbs:

Hi Snowflake, I came while watching jeff in the hurricane. While I was finishing I imagined that my ejaculate was picked up and flown away on the winds of Harvey, reaching the jet stream. Then, by the grace of our lord and savior YAWEH, the ropey strings of white took an impossible trajectory through your window and into your eye.

Now I'm culturally appropriating hip hop by listening to Nas.

PS. You can culturally appropriate me any time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

botany posted:

go back to GBS
Don't kinkshame me. I enjoy cumming into hurricanes. What makes you so much better?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I hate contextless videos. What is this worldstar or debate and discussion?

Clearly the white guy had his back misaligned and the black guy, being a board certified chiropractor, offered to realign the problematic spine via a patented technique.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, but you do have to keep that poo poo rare since eventually it won't be trump anymore and we don't poo poo constantly being thrown at whoever is next that is not an insane person

Everyone who will be president from now on will be painted with the mark of holding the same office as Donald Trump. The office of president has managed to lose any semblance of respect, dignity and competence. With that said, the office of the president was already in pretty bad shape though, Trump just really ran it into the ground.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Few questions.

1. Does Manafort and Gates pleading not guilty mean they are confident that they can beat the charges?

2. Does the not guilty plea also mean that they don't intend to cooperate with the investigation even if they are found to be guilty? Do defendants who plead not guilty change their minds on their pleas once more evidence comes out?

3. How confident is the FBI in laying these federal charges, I remember reading that they have a very high conviction rate and pretty much only prosecute "sure thing" trials?

4. Is the way that the Popodopulus prosecution went the best case scenario, based on the information we have about it? Indicted in July, presumably flipped and cooperating, trial coming to a close now.

Sorry if any of these are repeats.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Cool, thanks for the info!

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
I have to preface this post with the fact that I'm assuming confidence in the people involved. I realize it's a naive assumption but it has to be made for this argument's sake.

In the case of Manafort getting convicted and then pardoned by Trump. If he is compelled to testify can't he just pull the same thing that AG did and repeatedly say "I do not recall" essentially rendering compelled testifying useless?

Further let's say Manafort gets indicted and convicted for perjury, can't he just be pardoned again?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Politically, the good thing about the Roy Moore situation is that no matter how the election turns out republicans are hosed.

If Moore wins he might not be seated and it will fracture the party. There are clearly some repubs who wont tolerate a child rapist. Plus, the national message can become "Republicans are the party of childn rapists".

If Moore loses then the dems get a seat in a state they wouldnt have gotten othereise.

A great situatioon either way, that is if you ignore the whole paedophellia thing.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

Washington gets high marks purely because he turned down being king.

Also, don't be passive and just go "we'll get em with the demographics someday!" Get off your rear end and get those younglings, Latinos, and demographic shifties to the polls now 2018 primary) and forever. Demographics mean gently caress all unless they also turn in a ballot.

This post was quite a bit ago but why is JFK not on the list. Is it just because goons are jealous he hosed Marilyn Monroe?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

logger posted:

Maybe you should come up with reasons why he should be on the list, rather than criticize why he was left off.

I'm not very familiar with Kennedy, that's the reason I asked.

I thought he was pro civil rights at a time where it wasn't the norm for a white person to be. He also invested heavily in the space program and I like space stuff. That's my two hot takes on JFK.

Thanks to all the other posters pointing out the Vietnam things.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Periodic reminder that Barack and Michelle were too good for us.

Periodic reminder that Barack was just another mass murderer of innocents president that was in bed with bankers. He also continued to expand wonderful programs like the patriot act.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Pander posted:

It's almost like a massive institution like the US Govt has an inherent inertia in its shittyness that a single man operating within a balance of powers arrangement cannot completely fix.

And it still doesn't change the fact that he was too good for us.

He didn't even try to fix it. I have to give him credit for the ACA and LGBT rights initiatives, but when it comes to things like the war, the banking system, and government surveillance he carried the torch of the previous shitlords in office. He had a great veneer of professionalism and caring but that's all it was a surface coating of humanity that people cling to so they can pretend he wasn't Bush lite.

Quorum posted:

This isn't wrong except that you inserted the word "just." That's what made this the worst take and I want you to understand that.

I'm willing to be schooled here. Is it because it minimizes the impacts of his and other presidencies or is it something else I'm missing?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
From pages back, for the LGBTQ mafia thing. The spciy putanescas.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

That's the one, yes. You can't simply take the bare minimum badness threshold for being a US President in the latter half of the 20th and first part of the 21st centuries and reduce the entire impact of their presidency to that, or you are completely obviating the entire presidency. Differences matter, and in his impact on the ordinary American's life, Obama was a better President than most of the ones we've had since FDR. Of course he did bad things, and those shouldn't be ignored. But the "just" reduces it all to that and you shouldn't.

I see your point but I have to disagree with you. Only one of the points I mentioned is comparable to presidents stretching back to FDR.

In regards to the war, I think the greatest impact of his presidency overall is that he continued the policies of the previous president to murder innocent people in far away countries. Just because other presidents have done similar things doesn't make it any less disgusting, disturbing or immoral; it also far outweighs, in my eyes, any positive impact that his domestic policies have had.

The financial situation the country was in when he took office gave him a unique and crucial opportunity to fixing banking and investment regulations. An opportunity which he completely avoided. He was either in bed with the banking sector or was too scared to implement anything meaningful or both.

The continuation and expansion of the patriot act was a very conscious choice. The fact that he continued it is in and of itself unique to his presidency. He had the opportunity and ability to shut down a new authoritarian tool but he didn't take it and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it's because his corporate friends realized it's a great tool to quell dissent.

I certainly agree the ACA and his LGBTQ rights initiatives were good for the US, but when you factor in the above his good points are eclipsed by the damage he caused through his actions or lack thereof.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

What movie is this from?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

I can see how that image could be racist, but I still don't get what's wrong with the dice head guy image. I didn't even assign a specific race to that character when I first saw it. I'm not even sure how it could be construed to be any sort of racial stereotype.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Can someone tell me about how Mario is super racist?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
It's awesome that Moore lost but I'm dismayed by the fact that almost 650,000 Alabamans voted for a racist pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

i have bad news about the candidate who won the 2016 presidential election and how many people voted for him

I know, I'm just trying to look at the results from a different perspective and it isn't that hopeful.

• Locked thread