Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Uglycat posted:

I still wanna see a special election

No such thing in the US of A. If Trump gets ousted it goes to Pence, then Paul Ryan, then Orin Hatch then down a long list of increasingly irrelevant people.

EDIT: At least not for the office of President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Apoplexy posted:

On the opposite note of Baptist Anime: Far Cry 5 info is coming out and it looks like the game is not only going to loving own, but be about killing white Christian supremacists in Montana. What're the odds the MAGA chuds are out in full force already, complaining about how it's not Muslims you're shooting and that LIBTARDS ARE RUINING ARE GAMES?

Oh my goodness, is that real? Day one loving buy.

Goddamn, how could you not post the release image!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Moxie posted:

I like to think the villain is wearing as seen on TV HDvision glasses

Shooting/hunting glasses. Lots of them Hickenese folks wear them around.

If the character were older you could also just call'em glaucoma driving glasses.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sublimer posted:

Man, gently caress Gianforte.

Also, The Guardian has a good, informative video on the Montana election. At first, I thought it might be by the same guy that just got assaulted, but it's worth a watch anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehrd0LxUt2A

No wonder FarCry5 is set in Montana.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

O'Reily, Ailes AND Hannity not surviving the first year of Trump is just too good.

I bet they thought that Trump would usher in an era of "Good ol' Boy" style immunity for assholes to do as they pleased.

Thankfully they were wrong and Trump can't so much as usher a fart without making GBS threads the bed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy gently caress

And this is from Fox News

What the gently caress are you kidding me!?

Even Ben didn't mention getting punched!

Please let there be video.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

WTF were they thinking dropping that statement with three eyewitnesses who they didn't have locked down?

Turns out republicans are really loving stupid.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So, what the punishment?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

gently caress you, I'm a mountain.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The derail we need, but not the one we deserve.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jesus, what a little punk bitch.

I'm glad world leaders learned about Trump's bullshit power plays. Marcon yanks him right back.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sinteres posted:

One thing about Trump is that he doesn't give a poo poo how obvious his lies are, he's going to tell them anyway.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/867801970094034944

I wish Marcon or someone would hit him back on that to his face.

Jesus Christ.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That, and the whole thing where Mein Kampf repeatedly cites American racial codes and Native American genocide as the best examples of modern state policy.

And America was generally fine with letting the European theater play out.

We would have probably just let Hitler win if Japan hadn't gently caress-started our war boner.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Star Man posted:

lol no FDR knew the US was going to end up involved in one way or another and quietly started preparing for it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's not true at all, we were in an undeclared sea war with Nazi Germany for about 6 months before WWII. Not to mention 2 years of Lend Lease. We were going to go to war with Germany no matter what, it just happened quicker because Hitler decided to declare war first in the days after Pearl Harbor.

TheScott2K posted:

How many other people have you said this to?

More talking about public opinion on entering the war vs. staying isolationist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_non-interventionism#Non-interventionism_before_entering_World_War_II), but yes the government was ready and prepared for war.

I also was mistaken on how much the non-interventionist movement collapsed once Paris fell.

Also the die hards of the movement, and the public faces, reversed course and supported the war immediately after Pearl Harbor. So yeah the Japanese attacking us had a big hand in quashing any semblance of opposition to the war effort.

quote:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor caused America to enter the war in December 1941, isolationists such as Charles Lindbergh's America First Committee and Herbert Hoover announced their support of the war effort.[28] Isolationist families' sons fought in the war as much as others.[21]

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 25, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

....So he's going to try and kill the import and sale of multiple luxury brands in the US?

This is yet another one of those things he's just saying, and after meeting with the people who know what the gently caress is up, will walk it back and pretend he made a great deal or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

One of the interesting things that will start to occur is called Sun downing. Essentially once the sun goes down, they will become aggressive. Doctors have no idea why this happens.

This is my grandmother right now. It's pretty scary to watch it happen. The last couple of months my mother says she's been getting called by g-ma exactly 10 minutes after the sun sets with her in a panic. She doesn't know where she is, what she's supposed to do, my mom has to drive over and literally tuck her into bed.

Everyone's basically resigned to her not reaching Christmas at this point, and she's probably gonna have to go into full care in the next month.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

"We're going to curb even more of their exports. Look at Chechnya! All those homos trying to export themselves! We'll ensure they never get out. If they even exist..."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Is there literally anything legally that can be done if it fully comes out, proven with hard evidence, that the GOP has colluded at the highest levels with Russia to undermine America?

I mean short of a civil war.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

FarCry 5 DLC set in Portland?

Anyway, this is a prime example of why "The Alt-right should be allowed to have a voice" is bullshit. They aren't trying to share ideas, or put forward a competing argument, they're waiting till they think they can strike.

Like Prester Jane and others have said, we're going to seem more and more of these attacks. I can't find it now, but in the previous thread an article was posted saying that White Nationalist/Supremacist groups feel like Trump is giving them the "go ahead". We're seeing White Supremacist groups on the rise on college campuses across the nation, the DOJ has all but eliminated monitoring right wing extremist groups (which tellingly includes Neo-Nazi groups and White Supremacy groups), and there's a renewed fervor between previously disconnected Right Wing hate groups to team up and ally with each other.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

2nd Rate Poster posted:

The rascal presidency.

:five:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So this just confirms that the WH staff has hidden the office's ability to contact other heads of state directly. Like. Clearly they haven't told him that he can directly contact our allies. Probably for the best, can you imagine getting a 3am call from Trump to complain about a CNN story?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Trump refusing to visit that holy mountain site because he'd have to take a cable car instead of just landing his helicopter literally on top of it still has me reeling.

I'm still surprised he hasn't tried to redo the whole White House, inside and out, in gold.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jygallax posted:

That's the thing about Trump's NATO poo poo that's never made sense to me. Ostensibly the whole point of getting other nations to meet the 2% target would be to allow the US to spend less on defense and not have to cover for other countries. But that's never going to happen, especially when Trump himself keeps pushing for even more defense spending. What's the point besides alienating allies? that is the point I guess

He fails to understand what NATO is, how it works, and what the USA gets out of the deal on a fundamental level.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Is greed a rational motive?

I wouldn't even call it that. At least not in the sense of "I'm getting paid". At the least it's some remnant of greed that's just driving him to make others pay, not to get himself paid, on principle.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 27, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Alex Jones is a level beyond FOX, and the former hosts (assuming this news is true) might reach new lows, unrestrained by what low standards the station held them accountable to.

I mean, they already call for veiled acts of violence.

So if they go any further it'll be explicitly calling for murder.

And as much as "lol nothing matters" is a thing, that's still pretty illegal.

EDIT: Memorial Day Doggie.

(and yes I know the dog tax thing is no longer a rule, but I like it goddammit)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Hannity will fair better than O'Reilly post-Fox. Isn't his radio show pretty popular?

Popular for radio.

For reference:

Hannity's radio show comes in roughly 4th/5th or 2nd depending on whose list you use and brings in 12.5 million listeners.

Hannity's television show brings in (I scrolled back to mid april to avoid the current glut/bump going on) roughly 470 million viewers.

So yes. He will still have an audience.

But it's an audience that's only about 2.6% the size of his television audience. And even if some of his viewers who somehow don't already listen to him switch, he's never going to reach the same audience as he does with TV.

SNIP EDIT WAIT: Read a chart wrong

Crain fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 27, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Actually:

Radio: 12.5 million weekly ratings

TV: 2.6 million nightly, roughly 13 million adjusted weekly ratings.

So Hannity would be losing about half of his combined audience.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's more than a bit of a miscalculation, yeah. Especially when you factor in audience overlap.

Yeah, no idea how to find that out if the data is even out there.

But yeah, I misread the 470 rating on a rating site about representing millions instead of some internal Nielson rating system. Not nearly that big.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

just lol @ calculating that hannity gets more viewers than the population of the united states and not thinking twice before posting

yeah...shows how much I was paying attention.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The right wing media is directly responsible for the murder of people like George Tiller and nothing happened to them for it.

They are. But legally there's a difference between calling a man "Baby Killer" George Tiller every day, and explicitly going "You need to go and murder your liberal neighbors".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Aw geez sorry guys. I had the "dark timeline" option checked for map generation.

We'll just have to ride it out and reroll a new one later.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Reaches for list stove
"You probably shouldn't do that"
Grabs stove anyway

"You didn't convince enough. Clearly I am free of all culpability relating to the fallout of this decision."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah that's the stuff

Hmmmm, yes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

In which the President of France has the balls to do something our U.S. President never will:

https://apnews.com/c01121dbfc6740969cd0fefc629cc46d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

While it is the term du jour, and Macron himself used the correct term, I really hate that we still are using "fake news". It's propaganda people. Sticking with the right wing's term only softens the importance of the subject and allows them to blow it off as a mere difference of opinion.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

I don't think "fake news"was originally the right's term. Macron was using it in its original context, to describe the nonsense conspiracy sites masquerading as legitimate news outlets that get spread on social media by ideologues and believed by people who are bad at analyzing news sources and people with confirmation bias, before the right seized hold of it and turned it into "any news we disagree with."

And originally it made more sense. The site's (mostly just facebook pages really, before the right threw a hissy fit to make them stop shutting them out) in question were legit inventing stories. Now though they're just fudging headlines with implication and posting semi related content in the article knowing no one in their target demo reads the article.

And they're being used as propoganda instead of just click bait now (well, they always were, they just co-opted the technique). So I say call it what it is.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Hell, Obama even looks good in the photoshopped clown suit.

Fucker was stylish and knew how to put on a dignified air.

Donny just thinks that whatever he does becomes "dignified" because he da best.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

It's like he has no idea what's been going on the past 8 years.

Also pretty sure that, like NATO, he really doesn't get how the Senate works. We know (or at least read it as) it translates to "get rid of the fillibuster", but that's not actually going to solve the issues they have with the AHCA votes.

Wouldn't be surprised if Donny thinks that the Senate actually mandates 60 votes instead of it being a way of life due to overuse of the fillibuster.

I'd also be fine with it going. If it's gone when we get back in power, assuming if we manage to make in roads in 18 and take congress in 20, that makes everything that much easier to pass.

Big if, I know.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Hot take: what if there isn't a 2020 election?

Civil War.

No President has ever even brought up the idea of suspending elections. Even in WW 1 & 2 when arguably a change of power could be disruptive enough to cause trouble with the war effort. Even in early US history when the institutional momentum was non-existant and Washington was ransacked and the White House was burned in the War of 1812, we still had the loving election on time, and to the best of our ability.

I don't think the GOP would try to suspend elections.

It wouldn't be political suicide, it would be literal suicide.

And I don't think the US is going to collapse so fast and so hard as to be effectively non-existent in the next 3 years.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

1) The GOP is, collectively, insane. They think that their actions, even if they result in massive death, will be justified in their imaginary afterlife.

2) They're girding up by reaching out to militia groups. Even if they aren't used for security in the short-term, in the long term, those groups have just been legitimized by the GOP, and they'll remember that, as resistance to GOP rule increases. And it WILL increase.

This is all true, but at least wrt suspending elections I think it's just so far outside of the realm of possibility. See Drone's post: There isn't a legal mechanism for enacting such a thing, so in order to suspend elections they'd literally have to attempt a full on coup of the US government and dissolve it, or attempt a constitutional amendment to allow them to do so legally. Which is just not possible in the next 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Daily Obsturction of Justice? Massive incompetence? Blatant grift?

They are ignoring a lot of congressional tradition, executive tradition, and other "we thought this was more legally binding than it really is" rules, but when it comes to actual Constitutional rules the Emoluments clause is all I know they are for sure violating.

• Locked thread