Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Chilichimp posted:

Is Chris Hayes good? He seems insufferable. To a lesser degree than O'Donnell, but STILL

His show YMMV, but he's good at twitter.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Aves Maria! posted:

As far as MSNBC goes, he's pretty much the best there. Also his book is good and he's a huge champion for criminal justice reform so... I don't really get the hate.

Uh, Rachel is significantly better, it's just Hayes is significantly better than everyone else but her.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Arturo Ui posted:

This is right. Hayes is pretty clearly a leftist but plays a liberal on TV as you can't be a real leftist and have a prime time news show. Rachel has only been reporting on Russia for months and frequently skirts conspiracy theory territory

I wasn't clear with my ranking, I was giving Rachel the nod primarily for (1) being entertaining and (2) having half as many panels as the other MSNBC shows. Every night Chris lets Maxine Waters shout over him for five straight minutes with the same talking points and I just fast-forward the DVR to Rachel.

I mean yeah she gets into stupid "what IF" conspiracy land but at least it sometimes also includes neat history lessons along the way.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Why would you willingly watch cable news at all? None of it is good.

You're right I should find something else.

because there's so many good television shows on at 5 and 6pm

why I might even find a big bang theory rerun or a Law and Order spinoff. Goodness what luck that would be.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is Hannity this crazy or this craven?

Crazy is questionable, but he is a known coward so strong yes to craven.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Also, ZERO critical thinking skills.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

On the opposite note of Baptist Anime: Far Cry 5 info is coming out and it looks like the game is not only going to loving own, but be about killing white Christian supremacists in Montana. What're the odds the MAGA chuds are out in full force already, complaining about how it's not Muslims you're shooting and that LIBTARDS ARE RUINING ARE GAMES?

oh my god that last guy is getting warm

e: I loved FC3 but held off on FC4 because I'd JUST played FC3 and wasn't jonesing for more of it. Now I'm jonesing for more of that so FC5 is definitely on buy list

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Trump and Pence have pre-recorded messages for Gianforte going out in phone calls in Montana.

Robocalls are illegal in Montana.(they get away with it by having a live caller call and ask if they can play them a message from the president)

Laws need to be enforced to matter.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

From what I understand, if you laser in on people trying to buy junk insurance, which will be legalized in states that drop essential health benefits, the junk insurance will be cheaper than real insurance.

Also it looks like narrow groups of people (the very very healthy and young) will have lower premiums.

The old get turbofucked, most people get proper hosed, but the hitler youth do alright.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

man POST. THE. MAP. has gotten really weird here

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

pretty crazy how gary johnson and jill stein are each winning half of the great plains states

hillary won the oceans though so that's 75% of the world right there.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/garyhe/status/867710859224788993

Macron got him back by crushing the gently caress out of his tiny hand at the press event.

Trump seems like he's at a massive disadvantage at these handshake pissing contests due to his tiny baby fingers. How can he crush someone's wrist with those ineffectual hands?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

If Gianforte wins despite this then republicans may well take it as a sign that they can be twice as bold about healthcare. They're wrong about that, but they're dumb as dog poo poo so I can see them believing such a thing.

It's a non-incumbent Dem trying to win a district that elected Trump by 21 points where the political backdrop is basically a referendum on Trump's efforts so far on health care.

Moving that needle from R+21 anywhere below R+10 is still a good result for the Democrats and the Republicans will have a hard time doing anything with healthcare.

The only way they'd get bold about healthcare is if the results are like R+15 or higher which would be the ultimate lolnothingmatters result.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

not the most trump related thing ever, but -

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/principal-fired-after-video-shows-him-wearing-rings-associated-with-white-supremacy-nazism/442958651

"What do you mean, nazi? I was just there to check out the scene for a few minutes. I dress like this all the time." - guy wearing an american flag and a helmet, carrying a shield, wearing rings with nazi symbols on them

what kind of mental gymnastics are required to wear both Nazi and American paraphernalia at the same time?

It's like being a marxist member of the illumanati or something.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't think he ever "recused" himself, he weasel-worded "stepped aside" didn't he?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If he can at least deliver on UBI and dissolving healthcare tied to employment, then gently caress it he's got my vote. Establishment Dems are worthless.

Yeah if he makes those promises I'll vote for him, because billionaires making campaign trail promises about saving health care and helping the little guy are always trustworthy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

The difference between Zuckerberg and Trump is that while Trump says absolutely ridiculous things, he says them with force and confidence. Zuckerberg looks like a wet blade of grass whenever he tries to articulate anything serious.

And he sweats.

Say what you will about toxic masculinity, there's something unsettling about a president you can vividly imagine shoving into a locker.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Trump refusing to visit that holy mountain site because he'd have to take a cable car instead of just landing his helicopter literally on top of it still has me reeling.

But Hugh Hewitt just said it was an amazingly successful trip and lefties are all gnashing their teeth in jealousy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Lote posted:

Ever crossed the road and looked the wrong way? And hey presto, a car's nearly on you, so what do you do? You freeze. And your life doesn't flash before your eyes, 'cause you're too loving scared to think – you just freeze, and pull a stupid face. The pikey didn't – why?

Snatch was such a fun movie. Nicely picked.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Man if I were to think for a minute I might conclude that the GOP loves using selective passages of scripture out of context only when it benefits them, and ignores any passages that might conflict with their worldview or demonstrate their absolute hypocrisy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

"Lewandowski says turmoil in White House communications staff is partly because Trump is too ‘articulate’"

President Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski says reported difficulties in the White House media operation are the result of Trump’s exceptional communications skills, which make it hard for his staff to keep up with him. Lewandowski’s comments followed the announcement that Mike Dubke, Trump’s director of communications, was resigning after a few months on the job.

“I think Mike was brought into a job not having a pre-existing relationship with the president,” Lewandowski said on “Fox & Friends” Wednesday. “And you know when you have a president who is so active, who is so articulate, who is so good at communicating with the media, sometimes you get staff that have to keep up with him. And it’s much easier, I think, if you have people who have a pre-existing relationship with him.”

:smithicide:

Gonna need a source here or I'm assuming it's Andy Borowitz or something.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

RottenK posted:

Chris Cillizza should be guillotined.

I wanna see Jeopardy with Chris Cillizza, Wolf Blitzer, and Tom Friedman.

It'd be a real life episode of SNL Celebrity Jeopardy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sinteres posted:

That still isn't really RC Cola's twitter account.

I mean at some point that ceases being true if there's no competitive alternative from the company. It's probably more effective at promoting their product than they could hope to achieve, anyway.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

evilmiera posted:

If you ask someone: Which party is more likely to try to cut Medicaid and similar programs the answer will always be the GOP. For someone who worked all his life he sure doesn't seem like he was alive during the tenure of any Republicans.

I mean it doesn't even matter if you think cutting it is a good or bad thing, just check the voting records. Just look at the party line, or hell just ask people around you with better memory than you.
This isn't even stupidity, this is willfully erasing reality from your mind and replacing it with fantasy.

It doesn't matter.

Some people are so incredible self-focused and tribalistic that they earnestly believe since Trump espouses many of their views that he will additionally protect them, personally, from any fallout due to those views.

Trade war with China that threatens to murder US economy? Trump will bring back American manufacturing and tariffs and reopen all our factories!
Gutting health care? He'll single out my policy and protect/subsidize it, because he'll know I'm one of the good ones!

They believe they elected some kind of White Working Class Santa Claus, with his naughty and nice list and cadre of magical elves who'll MAGA. It's about a tossup whether the realization this is not the case will sink in before they die.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So today trump is basically the helicopter pilot going to itchy and scratchy land pronouncing it "possibl-i" instead of "possibly" and the entire nation looking at each other worridly when, in an ironic twist again related to a simpsons reference, trump then acts like Skinner trying to make lunch for Superintended Chalmers insisting that he actually said Steamed Hams, which as we all know is actually an upstate new york saying.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Yes, but I cannot fathom that reasoning

You haven't lived under a truly authoritarian government before then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Why do public figures bother to delete tweets when they are almost always archived?

They're technologically illiterate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rigel posted:

I looked it up, and legal experts from a couple different articles are saying that there's no automatic legal penalty for Comey if he defies Trump and testifies anyway. If he still worked for the government, Trump could have compelled him not to testify because he could fire him for insubordination. But its too late for that, Comey is a private citizen now.

It appears the only way to really stop Comey from testifying other than asking him not to and hoping he complies, would be to go to court and get a judge to issue an injunction against Comey from testifying. Then he couldn't testify for fear of violating a court order. Obviously this has never been done before because the person congress wants to hear from in these cases has almost always been an ally of the president or a federal employee who didn't really want to testify anyway, and the assertion of executive privilege stops congress from being able to punish them for refusing, but in this case Comey does not like Trump and wants to talk.

found the problem with the logic

trump's still gonna do it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rigel posted:

I don't think you understood. I'm not arguing whether or not Trump can assert executive privilege or if he will. Some people (including me) had wondered "well so what if he claims executive privilege, Comey doesn't work for Trump, can he just ignore it?"

The answer appears to be that yes, Comey could tell Trump to gently caress off and testify anyway without any fear of any kind of legal consequences UNLESS Trump runs to court first and quickly convinces a judge to issue an injunction against Comey, and he's running out of time to do that.

Oh I understand, I'm just saying I think they'll still try to assert that anything Comey discusses is covered by executive privilege, and therefore anything he releases is fake news/lies/whatever. It'll be nonsensical legalese word salad with the only goal being to disrupt the flow of the story and make his base think Comey is on Team Hillary / Sore About Losing The Election.

Comey's gonna testify regardless.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Like, he isn't completely wrong about reduced power at night, but there are tons of mitigation strategies, ranging from diversification of energy generation (using wind, hydro, natural gas, nuclear, etc in addition to solar) to storage of energy (battery farms, water pumping, etc). Like, if we were planning to move the country 100% to a SINGLE system of generation there would be issues, but no one is suggesting that outside of imaginary strawmen.
The economics get a little complicated, because it's hilariously unprofitable to build large plants (nuclear, nat'l gas) unless you intend to run them at full capacity all the time (baseload power). They are not good at supplementing solar/wind or chasing peaks. You would also need enough such reserve capacity to fully deploy to meet demand in an instance of low sun/wind, which means even more unprofitable capacity held in reserve if you still try to make wind/solar the front edge of your energy grid. Plus, storage options are not all that great at industrial scales. Plus going too heavily on solar can cause issues with industrial processes with large inductive motor loads, since solar generates purely resistive loads.

Santorum was being disingenuous, but there are issues without good solutions right now in trying to go green. "Creating diversity in energy sources" sounds sensible but it's a lot harder to do without intense and unprofitable over-development of capacity and storage.

Energieweinde in Germany presents an excellent example of how the best of intentions can lead to awful results when you ignore science and economics in favor of arbitrary goals.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

evilweasel posted:

goddamn

that senate seat is one of the only two promotions their candidate can get (governor or senator, he's currently the AG), it won't come up again for 6 years, governor won't come up till 2020, you gotta think that it's going to be roooooooooooooough in 2018 not to take a shot at one of the most vulnerable senate seats around

I can't believe he won't even try. What's the downside to competing against Tester and losing? Loss of political capital? Loss of AG position? I figure the name recognition isn't a bad thing. Gianforte lost a statewide MT election before winning one, it doesn't seem to be a death knell.

It just looks like fear of losing for its own sake to me?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

eviltastic posted:

The downside is the opportunity cost of passing up a shot at the governor's mansion, which is probably what he'll be running for instead.

Why would he pass up a shot at the gov?

2018 - run for senate

If win: Great!
If Lose: 2020 run for gov

Why can't he do both if he loses the senate race?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rigel posted:

I imagine he'd be afraid of losing in the primary in 2020 to some other statewide office-holding Republican who can say "pfft, don't vote for that loser, give me the nomination"
again though, Gianforte is recent proof that you can lose a statewide election in MT and then later win one.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Is obstruction of justice, even with undeniable proof, even a problem? Is there any mechanism for making that actually matter that won't end in all three Republican-dominated branches of our government coming together in an unanimous "LOL, we don't care, red team means he can do as he pleases."

I don't mean this in a "nothing matters" way, I'm just unclear about who has the power to make this sort of thing matter in a direct way.

I guess it'd depend on how clearly it can be communicated.

If it's pretty clear and obvious, and nothing happens, then hopefully dems can take the house in 2018 based on "holy poo poo we need to oust our awful criminal president". From there, impeachment proceedings that, at the very least, mangle any political capital Trump's got left and leaves the GOP fractured.

He'd probably resign at some point if the Dems retake the house, because there are literally no winning paths for him after that. Ryan serving him up softball legislation and watering down all the house committees with faces friendly to Trump is the only reason they can enact their agenda. Best case scenario for Trump would be gridlock, and worst would be impeachment (with or without conviction).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Raylen posted:

There are multiple Defense programs that run counter to Trump and his idiocy. For example, Nellis AFB outside Las Vegas has a solar power plant that provides more than 25% of it's entire annual energy consumption. And not to mention that Trump still doesn't seem to realize that the largest CENTCOM base is in Qatar.

I've been to a lot of air force bases to analyze their electrical distribution, and yeah, their focus is largely on efficiency, stability, and increased usage of renewables. It's hard to run more than about 10% of a base through solar for Reasons, but the philosophy is in place.

It's really a case of the emperor vs his subjects here.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i don't have sympathy for people like mcmaster ruining themselves to provide cover even if they think they're doing it for the greater good of the republic.

Dude's gotta choose between abandoning his career and defending the indefensible. Sucks to be him, selected in the first place by trump. Doubt that's how he wanted things to play out.

I have some pity for him, more than for devos or sessions.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Raylen posted:

Definitely. Larger bases like Fort Bragg or Joint Base Lewis-McChord would definitely not be able to be fully powered by solar due to infrastructure, geographic location, and numerous other issues but it's a good first step. Not to mention that the DoD is trying it's hardest to get their ships and aircraft to run on other things besides imported fuels. That's why there has been a large investment into researching biofuels and other alternatives. Trump has no clue how regional actions like Qatar being isolated will drive up costs at the DoD. No wonder the military is starting to question their support for him.
One example I've see is how Edwards has three solar farms. It's such a huge base that they can't hope, even with that Mojave sun, to feed much of the demand, but that and switching from incandescents to LED lighting and better chillers are a few ways they're trying to move away from a "electricity is free and infinite" mindset like Trump seems to take.

The military is largely GOP because they think Dems are cut and run cowards, but they know and idiot when it's obvious. Really the only base Trump has now are racists, idiots, and the ultra rich. Together it's a larger group than I think we'd like.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

couldn't he have stayed in his old job? and he woulda done a lot more good for the country coming out at that presser and not lying.

No, hence a shred of pity I have for him. It'd suck to have a career planned out, do your best, and then an orange jackass ruins everything and you struggle through best you can. I think he'll​ resign at some point. This is getting humiliating. I think he hoped to teach Trump right from wrong or outlast him, but that ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Christ, did Betsy DeVos write it? The grammar.

I like the RANDOM capitalization of WORDS.

• Locked thread