Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Chris Hayes for my daily news roundup with a little extra background and just the right tone of smug douchiness that connects with me. And he's good when he gets away from the daily news and into deeper news and issues he cares about.

I like Rachel Maddow for the actual investigative research and her actually telling me stuff I didn't really know. Like even if I know the story she's doing 4 out of 5 times she'll clue me into an aspect of it I hadn't realized or fully understood.

This whole leftist "she's obsessed with Russia" thing seems really stupid and unfair to me. Considering that (a) she still talks about plenty else, (b) there's clearly a ton of real stuff to the Russia/Trump stuff, and (c) she does extensive coverage of corruption and murder in ACTUAL Russia to educate people on the state of Russian politics and Putin. To a certain extent its obviously connected and what she's deeply researching at the moment but I also get the sense she feels like the media dropped the ball in 2016 by not having America already clear on what's wrong with Russian intervention and why Putin is such a bad guy. But I guess that's out of bounds to some leftists for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat it. Might watch Hannity tonight to see if he comments on Rich and the Fox News retraction. Damnit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, what was Hannity "right" about with Trayvon Martin? That he was jacked up on purple drink and the guy who's been arrested like 3 more times for violent interactions with a gun was just a concerned citizen who was attacked?

I remember when Hannity was "right" about Cliven Bundy and then ran away from him when it turned out he was a big ole racist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Maddow does her research and work and shows us it real time. Sometimes that means an investigation thread goes nowhere but more often than not it means she's on things quicker than other mainstream news and her viewers have all the pieces of the puzzle when it finally comes together. I like being informed that way.

Its fine if you don't and just want to wait for a reporter to put the story together for you. I'm not saying that sarcastically. Sometimes I don't have the patience or interest in a story to follow it intently either. But that's what Maddow does and its always been what Maddow does. Now its suddenly a problem for some reason?

I mean, I have a conspiracy theory about why this is suddenly a problem to some certain people but I generally hold back my crazy, unfounded ideas because I haven't done the research Maddow has.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chilichimp posted:

Fox's refusal to cover the Russia story has caused it to drop to 3rd and sometimes 4th place behind CNN and MSNBC. Fox has trailed those two in rating longer now than at any point in the last 17 years.

The Russia story might as well be the only thing going on in Washington.

Wait, who the hell joins in to kick Fox to 4th?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chilichimp posted:

I think CBS, i dunno.

I'd wager decent change that Colbert gets more viewers than whatever is on Fox at the same time.

Fox is in reruns by 11. Does CBS have a news channel? I don't get it if they do, or at least I don't think I do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ReidRansom posted:

What was the Post drop? I actually work and sleep and do other things sometimes and don't catch everything

I think that was the story about Trump asking government people to lie and claim there was no Russian investigation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's be honest, her Trump Tax Returns thing was dumb as hell and she hyped up something that she knew was meaningless.

It was a stupid story but people lost their drat minds over one bad story/headline/episode because she tweeted once about it a couple of hours earlier. Maddow was stupid that day but so was the hysteria backlash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/867143093459570688

Please say you're quitting please say you're quitting please say you're quitting

The huge announcement is that Sean Hannity is right as always, Seth Rich was murdered and he has proof, liberals are all evil, and he's staying at Fox News forever despite what the Liberals wanted to do! Now lets talk to Kim Dot Com about his proof about the story his own network retracted, coming to us via satellite because he's yet another wanted criminal Sean Hannity holds up as a great person and source! Check out my ratings spike!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PhazonLink posted:

Not that it matters anymore, but kinda wished the 3 of Mr. Ben Ghazi family victims told Smith's mom to stfu and get mental help.

The only reason Fox posted the retraction is the Rich family seem to be threatening legal action some how.

I think it was also getting a lot of attention from the rest of media once Newt started parroting the story and crediting Fox News for it. So now they had CNN and MSNBC talking about how Newt was spreading a debunked conspiracy theory that he sources Fox News for. So that might have put some pressure on them to stop things.

If that's the case Hannity doubling down tonight could cause him real problems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how bad is it gonna be. I assume it will be worse then the last one.

i hate mulvany so loving much.

At some point I expect Mulvaney to hold a press conference where he boasts the number of dead people thanks to their cuts because now all these people aren't costing everyone else money anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think any of the really successful conservative grifters are genuine believers, I'm sure every one of them is a cynical con artist just maximizing their income.

Hannity was never some clever grifter. He was a low level, failure of a radio host who couldn't hold a job because he was terrible and had abhorrent views when Roger Ailes picked him out of obscurity and gave him a TV show. He's a true believer who got lucky.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Hey did Trump refer to the Manchester bombing as a "terrorist act" or do we not care about words any more?

He declared that he's going to call them "losers" now to make them feel bad about themselves.

I'm reasonably certain I have that right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hannity was a drivetime talk show host in Atlanta in the 90's and from what I remember he was tolerable. Heck, I listened to him until probably 2006 when it became apparent even to my Republican ears that this guy was a loving idiot.

Hopefully his steadfast defense of Trump will put a sour taste in his sponsors' mouths.

From what I remember (its been awhile since I read up on any of this) he got that job because he was driven off a college radio station by a local chapter of the ACLU for saying vile poo poo and then bounced around to a couple of different markets branding himself as a Howard Stern-esque controversy grabber. Then Ailes grabbed him from there and established him with Fox News.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fulchrum posted:

Remember when we thought this would be his Reichstag fire?

No, because I purposely ignored the thread for the better part of a day to avoid the covoking. Then I checked back in this afternoon to find the thread closed and imagined the worst.

Except that I hung around long enough to decide I like that made up word.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It wasn't that bad, just a couple of the usual suspects. More people in here were freaking out that the Time's Square car crash would be Trump's Reichstag Fire.

Yeah, its just sort of my pattern. When one of these tragedies happens I tend to turn off the news because I hate the way they wallow in it and didn't need that for my personal sanity and emotional health. And then I tend to avoid places like this until the "OH GOD! ITS ALL OVER!" dies down.

I'll do the same (avoiding the thread, maybe not the news) when/if Ossoff and the Montana guy lose. Its best for my health and keeps me from saying something I regret.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like to just crap on him but the fact is he's been raking in money on Fox for 20 years :shrug: He sucks incredibly hard but it's not accurate to call him a "failure".

Well I said he WAS a failure. Obviously once Ailes plucked him out of obscurity (and by Hannity's own admission he was terrible and didn't deserve the job) he found a 20 year home and has done well for him grifting off the machine. But he didn't work his way into that spot or anything. It was just right place, right time stuff. It happens.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently Hannity has been looking at quitting Fox / gradually being forced off by the Murdoch bros. for a while now:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/hannity-fox-news-leaving-threats-bill-shine-rupert-murdoch-1202078870/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/01/sean-hannity-eyes-fox-news-exit-insiders-say

I think we all know what that means by now :eng101:

Yeah, there was a reportedly a small civil war at Fox News over Bill Shine and Hannity was on the losing end of that. He was very public about how he thought people inside Fox News were destroying it and making it into a whole new place and that if Shine went it would be the end of Fox News as its always been. Like, not only on Twitter but on his own show he'd talk about how most of Fox News is "fake news" too. So when Shine was fired everyone kind of held their breath waiting for the next shoe to drop, but the immediate word was Hannity was staying put.

But its pretty clear Hannity's lost a lot of allies at Fox and has probably burned some bridges the last few months. If the ratings continue to crash him and Tucker would probably be options A and B for heads to roll, but Hannity could play himself out of it with stuff like this. Tucker seems to be a good soldier.

But I doubt he will. Hannity is an egomaniac above all else and I don't imagine he'll voluntarily give up his biggest platform. Even if he is a true believer who thinks Fox News is the enemy now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves most of even Fox despises Hannity for being a raging rear end in a top hat but his ratings were too good to fire him for a long drat time. For his part yeah he lucked into the position but all he really had to do was scream about liberals/Muslims/terrorists/Obama all day without saying anything too crazy (like, say, :beck: ) and he'd be fine.

Yeah, Hannity has a long reputation of being the most hated member of his own guild. I believe a couple of years ago he lost his poo poo because someone did a survey of journalists and they overwhelmingly agreed he was the least respectable of them. And there were always random things I saw of him warring with O'Reilly and Kelly behind the scenes.

He had really strong allies in Ailes and Shine and their departures theoretically leave him vulnerable. Although it was kind of unclear since Tucker and The Five moving into Primetime kind of signals a move towards Hannity's kind of thing. They've been pushing the Seth Rich stuff too. But they'll probably stop now that Fox News has retracted it while Hannity seems intent to double down. Which is kind of why he's hated.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even without that comical word choice its such a "I MADE POOPY IN THE POTTY!" statement. Like, you're SUPPOSED to be able to govern, you rear end in a top hat. You can't gloat about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What the gently caress were they trying to project with this photo shoot anyway? That Paul Ryan is cool? He looks like a creepy goober.

What do you think?

My favorite Paul Ryan try-hard thing is still the soup kitchen story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shookies posted:

If the Pope smote Donald Trump and said he did it because God told him to, how would that play with the American Christian base?

Most of the Christians who love Trump aren't Catholic and hate the Pope in general, but a lot of them including the Catholics also hate this one for being a drat liberal or something. But like some "anti-papists" might declare holy war or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

citybeatnik posted:

The fun arguments that I've heard is that normally the cardinals are not meant to vote for the pope, they're meant to listen to God whispering to them who the proper choice was. Since Francis is obviously a political choice he's not the true pope.

Yeah, as a lax Catholic I have a hard and fast rule to other Catholics that you either admit all the bad Popes were chosen by God or all the good Popes were chosen by men. No cherry picking based on who you like or the conversation ends. Liberal Catholics laugh at that and we have a fun talk, conservative Catholics like to cherry pick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Catholic theology doesn't really have popes really fully picked in a supernatural way. It's definitely a secular voting process.

The holy spirit is supposed to be present in the process and through "discernment" you are supposed to search your heart and vote the way the spirit tells you. But you can vote for anyone and there is no element that if people vote different they are seen as heretics or something. Like god is helping in the process and the picked pope is sort of seen as called by god for the role but it's not divinely appointed or anything exactly.

Yeah, I know, and its the usual "well, when the bad Pope was elected the men obviously ignored God's guidance" but the point is that its practically impossible for us to have any kind of debate if we can't establish some kind of standard on that. Either its a bunch of people choosing and they pray and hope they get some guidance but its still just them... which most Catholics agree with... or God whispers a name into their ears and chooses the Pope... which some hardcore conservative Catholics push on.

I think for the most part Catholics are fun to have theological debates on because a lot of us are open to some critical thinking and less inclined to go with the magic answers. At most it becomes "pray on it until you find the answer" and not "God will give you a vision" kind of stuff you see with some other Christians. But there's some of that in Catholicism and I've had people tell me some crazy rear end poo poo like they literally saw the Holy Spirit walk around a room and bless each person. But those folks tend to remind me of Evangelicals more than Catholics anyway and they usually attend some kind of pre-Vatican II church or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean this doesn't seem particular contradictory. God is rooting for some pick and might tell you if you listen but you might not listen and you are free to ignore it.

Like 99% of the bad things that happen in star wars is the force telling the jedi something and them letting their own feelings get in the way and getting it all hosed up. It's exactly that.

The problem comes when its then used to say "you can't question the choice of the Pope, he's divinely influenced." Well, what about all those bad popes? "They were chosen by bad men who made a mistake and ignored God's guidance." Well then how do you know these guys didn't screw up too? "Because God guides them."

For us to have any kind of debate on the Pope's divine providence or edicts we have to basically agree on a set of goal posts and can't just let it be open based on whether you agree or disagree with any given Pope or stance. I think Francis is a good guy and Benedict is an rear end in a top hat. I know Catholics who feel the opposite way. They'll argue that God guided the Cardinals to pick Benedict but not Francis. I'll say "the Cardinals choose both for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure at least some of them hoped they were doing God's will." The second one can get us somewhere, the first one can't. So I'm willing to say "fine, God influences all Papal choices" or "God influences none" but we can't pick and choose or we'll get nowhere.

And in general I have never and probably never will base any debate or anything on Star Wars. Sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Catholicism is really pretty pragmatic. 99% of what the pope says is just stuff a guy who is the pope says. The divine stuff is extremely rare. Something like 10 statements ever in the whole history of the church have been pinned as "god said this", most of the pope's policies and stuff is just seen as a guy who is a good priest who is probably pretty smart saying it.

Right, that was the point. We either agree right off the bat to a pragmatic discussion and some basic boundaries or we just avoid the inevitable hurt feelings and headaches. Most Catholics (in my experience) tend to choose the pragmatic path because that's how we're generally taught. Some other Christian religions don't have that kind of consistency.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Catholics voting for Kennedy is a different thing all together. My mother voted for Hillary and its only the second Democrat she's ever voted for in her life. But she'll never miss a chance to tell you that she voted for Kennedy and that she was all but ordered to do it and bused to the voting station. But she'll do it with a smile so I never quite know what exactly I'm supposed to be taking from the story. That was just some kind of cultural moment for them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God, Hannity just rambles on and on. But I think he bitched out on the Seth Rich stuff.

FizFashizzle posted:

So many of the rules in Catholicism and Islam are clearly a person going "yes fine who gives a poo poo whatever. It's friday and its like 5pm already"

During Lent as a Catholic I'm supposed to make sacrifices of things I enjoy and not eat meat on Friday, and maybe even fast.

But if St. Patricks' Day falls on a weekend then my bishop makes sure to issue an official dispensation that says "Yeah, get wasted and have some corned beef. Its St Patrick's Day. You can fast some other day."

That really speaks to what it is to be a Catholic, IMO.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milosh posted:

Couldn't embed a tweet (i'm dumb) but looks like Hannity's walking back the Seth Rich thing.

He very specifically did NOT walk back or retract his claims. He went on a great length about how he's in the right to ask questions and people are trying to silence him and he's specifically answering a made up call by the family to find answers. But then he said he'll stop talking about it anyway because of the family's wishes. At no point did he in any way mention that its been debunked, that Fox News retracted the story, or that any of his claims could be wrong.

IMO, it couldn't have been more obvious that he was told to shut the gently caress up about it or get fired and he tried to spin it to save face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which branch of Christianity does Trump pretend to subscribe to again?

"Christian". He's "Christian."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JBP posted:

The only time our Catholic priest at high school ever said a scary religious word or did anything that wasn't chill was the day he learned about a three way shower JO session at a party on the weekend and went full fire and brimstone during our economics class.

Yeah that sounds like a good deal...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had one particular nun teacher in school who told us we'd go to hell for stepping on bugs, went on a rant about them letting the gays into the St Patrick's parade, and once convinced a girl that the devil was stalking her and caused some kind of mental break in her. So its not all "get wasted and chill."

On the flip side in high school I had a priest teacher who parked his Hell's Angels Harley in the side lot and people used to whisper about his Road to Damascus conversion story and that one time in the 80s he leaped off the catwalk in the quad to stop a fight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FBS posted:

That's how it came across to me. His spin wasn't even very well-developed - he ran a few replays of his "Russia is a fake news conspiracy" clips, promised to keep working on FINDING THE TRUTH, and quickly moved on.

Yeah, it was super awkward and didn't make a lot of sense. He was trying to find a way to get across "this is a real story of major national importance and the truth to all the fake Russia news the Dems are pushing... but the family asked me to stop so I will even though I spent the last few days saying I wouldn't and am now also claiming that they asked me not to." But of course that's utter nonsense so it was just clear he had been silenced by the network and didn't want to admit it or retract the story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, oh, I also had a Vietnamese priest who used to tell us stories of his time performing exorcisms when we stayed around after school to help him with manual labor.

Catholicism can be fun. And they made a point to tell us to get off our asses and go work at a soup kitchen or else we fail the class. Which in hindsight was very cool of them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

... what friends?

Legit, Donald Trump thinks if you make nice with him you're his friend. Then if you talk bad about him he thinks you betrayed him. He displays this cycle all the time, most obviously with Obama.

Dude's brain is that of a child's.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Why is that very cool of them?

In college I absolutely despised the mandatory "volunteering". If it'd been for extra credit or something I probably would've done it and at least been neutral about it, but when it was mandatory it wasn't volunteering anymore and I only grew to hate whatever I did.

Because forcing kids to go do good deeds and interact with people worse off them hopefully helps build compassion and a sense of charity and giving? You can TELL them to do it but actually making them do it hopefully has an impact that wouldn't happen when the kids would just nod along and move on. Ideally when people do charity work they'll get past their personal feelings of being put out and connect with the worse off people they're helping.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Someone on twitter (a real person) said they Trump thought Comey was his friend at one point.

There were a bunch of stories like that, that Trump tried to make Comey his buddy and pull him in and when Comey didn't want to he felt personally offended. Some friend of Comey's is going around telling stories about how Trump would try to hug him and invite him to dinner and Comey was put off by the whole thing because he felt he needed to be impartial (and apparently he turned down some invitation from Obama to play basketball for the same reason).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Down here it's called "Getting your Jesus". You sin your rear end off and repent on Sundays. It's an intellectual bypass that allows everything to be all right because you can treat people like garbage but if you intend to ask for forgiveness later you have cover. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, because you have to be truly sorry, and if you were truly sorry you wouldn't repeat the same bad behavior over and over again only to later ask for forgiveness. You can do this if you're struggling to course correct, but if you just ask God for forgiveness ever time you treat someone like garbage I don't think it's supposed to work.

Could be wrong though.

I think the most common question I get from non-religious people when they find out I'm Catholic is "so you get to just confess your sins and you're ok?" To which the answer is always "no, its more complicated than that. You can be forgiven but you have to be truly sorry and you'll be given penance. And like if its small stuff you might just have to pray but if you were mean to your mom the priest might tell you to go apologize and if you don't you're not forgiven. And if you like kill someone your penance is definitely going to include confessing to the crime and doing what you can to make up for the life you took. So its not some clean slate just because you whispered in a closet."

But on the flip side on Easter Sunday Meet the Press had a Jesuit Priest, a lady Rabbi, and an Evangelical preacher on and after the Priest talked about the importance of actions the Evangelical just straight up said "Its funny because I used to think that but then I converted and found out that its not what you do, its just about whether you accept Jesus." So there's definitely a whole wing of American Christians who just see it as a hall pass and probably some churches actively selling it that way.

We Catholics did that back in Medieval times but we went full on with you having to buy your forgiveness. No cheap short cuts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I was forced to and I hated having my time stolen from me. I also volunteered in other small ways but none of those were apparently good enough. I understood why but apparently volunteer work only counted with my teacher if you could punch a clock rather than being kind in general.

That year I had a choice off a list and none of them were working with kids for some reason which would've been good on a resume' as I was in education at the time. Instead I worked with old people in an assisted living center and it was depressing.

A few months later I did volunteer to read to some children which was super cool because they were happy to be read to, but I wasn't forced to do this so the experience was 100% different.

I guess it was mostly a problem with the strategy to get me to go and being volunteered instead of volunteering put a sour taste in my mouth about it even to this day. Also being a working student and scheduling conflicts were bad too.

I get why it would work for some people, but like much in education everyone learns and grows differently and some strategies aren't going to be effective.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. I can't defend whatever program you experienced and its fundamentally different from the thing I'm describing where they were dealing with young and impressionable kids and clearly trying to teach them a lesson about compassion and charity. But a lot of your argument kind of sounds like you're coming at it from how it affected you. You couldn't use it to help your major or it was a depressing experience. When like the entire point I'm arguing is to try and show kids that a sacrifice of your own time or pleasure for the betterment of people suffering can be a good and rewarding thing in and of itself. For whatever reason you clearly didn't get that experience from it, which is a shame. But maybe you helped some people out, which would be a good thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thank you for the nuanced response!

I find it funny, because selling indulgences were one of the biggest criticisms of the Catholic church. However many protestant churches have seemed to have skipped that process entirely and just ask for the money outright. You can ask for forgiveness, the church enables that, you give money to the church, repeat. Thoughtfulness and course corrections and guilt don't really have to enter the process, though they can. I have met poo poo heels in my life who think they're holy because they got to church and are awful people but think they're saved because they got baptized that one time.
I mean, there's probably a lot of implied payment in those churches. Like you need to give your tithe or at the donation basket or whatever business help the church asks of you if you want to stay in good standing with the church. So they might not ask directly for pay for your indulgences like the Catholic Church did but its known on some level that if you hope to get forgiveness in your time of need you better be there for the church in their time of need. Wink, wink. They're just less blatant about it.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Not trying to ruffle your feathers. Sorry buddy. :(
No apology necessary. My experience and your experience were different. I got something out of it that you didn't. That's a shame because I think what I got out of it was good and it sounds like what you got out of it was bad. I think there's merit in the concept but obviously it can be done wrong and there's no guarantee of it working. But I didn't want to like inadvertently insult you or make it seem like I was calling your selfish or anything. A lot of what I'm suggesting is that to instill a sense of charity in kids is in part to convince them that there's a selfish benefit of satisfaction and personal fulfillment from doing charity at a young age before all those selfish goals or needs like time, schedule, resume, etc kick in. On some level I think most people who do charity work are on some level getting a selfish sense of worth from it. But that can be good or bad, just as our experience can be good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man. Republican candidates are attacking reporters and Fox News is confirming it, Sean Hannity's evil poo poo has become a national story and he's catching poo poo for it, and Covok is temporarily probated. I'm just going to wallow in this for a little while.

Ever since O'Reilly I've been pushing this idea that with him and Kelly gone if Hannity became the face of Fox News it could destroy him because people would finally start noticing the hosed up poo poo he talks about on a nightly basis. I can't believe it might actually be happening. I didn't really believe what I was saying.

Raylen posted:

So uhhh, I didn't see this posted in the thread yet (if it was, sorry!) but it looks like Trump Hotels is not reporting any of the money that foreign governments are paying them to stay in their hotel rooms. Another broken Trump promise!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-failing-track-foreign-cash-his-hotels-n764061

There was a hilarious Jason Chaffetz interview on CNN today where Wolf asked him about this and Chaffetz basically said "we asked but they said no and I think that's totally fine and the Trumps are bending over backwards for transparency." It somehow managed to shock Wolf out of his usual malaise and he pressed Chaffetz and turned it into a hostile interview. It was bizarre.

• Locked thread