Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Night10194 posted:

Wait, WOLF BLITZER went after someone?

Raylen posted:

lol I will have to watch this. The fact that Chaffetz is such a dick and won't even be honest about things while he waits to resign is a symptom of how spineless and weak-willed Republicans are.

I set it to start at the part about Trump's hotels and Chaffetz' absurd "whatever they say is right" answer but the "hostility" between them came earlier in the interview. Its not like a yelling match of anything but Wolf actually pushes back on some of Chaffetz' bullshit, which is drat near fighting for Wolf.

Its not some GREAT clip, it was just weird to see Blitzer kind of do his job. And its Chaffetz' usual bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2W_GDiNyE&t=794s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raylen posted:

I'm watching the whole interview and Chaffetz's smug little smile is loving infuriating. Earlier in the interview, Chaffetz gets pissy when Wolf pushes back on the whole "Flynn was vetted by Obama too!!!" story.

Yeah, that's when it got the most "heated" when Wolf was actually saying "No, Obama didn't give Flynn the clearance he needed to be part of the Trump Administration. That was the Trump Administration." and Chaffetz just started yelling "I've been in classified briefings so I know more than you!" Wolf showed enough spine to make Chaffetz freak out a little.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rigel posted:

Wow. Learned something crazy today. I never knew that roving bands of man-eating giant pigs numbering in the millions was a problem in Texas. gently caress you, Texas. I am never living there, and if I have to visit, I'm flying in, staying in the city, and flying the gently caress out.

I've learned something new but now I just think they're even bigger losers for having all those guns and still not being able to deal with some pigs. Like, how are you gonna fight the revolution, defend yourself against the military, survivor the apocalypse, or defend your family from killers when you can't even stop the pigs? Shameful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Starmaker posted:

Weren't you listening? Pigs are not to be trifled with (truffled with).

When things get good and Trumpy in here again, and some fresh new horror is unveiled to us, you'll all miss this pig derail!

Then what's the point of all those guns, man? I hear the call to war and it oinks... Or whatever a wild boar sounds like. Apparently some goon was killing them with a spear and a drone. A true hero, it seems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Starmaker posted:

Guns to use against their bullet-proof skulls? All tools of civilization are futile in the face of our porcine foe

Use one of those guns that shoots 100 bullets to cut them off at the knees or something! This is apparently the way they've been arming themselves for! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maddow opened her show announcing she was looped out on drugs and was sent home by the doctor but came back to work JUST to talk about Jared Kushner.

That's not newsworthy, I just found it funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867908415921823746

Hannity's up to seven advertisers dropped, now. I'm worried that his cowardly attempt to say how he's decided to respect the family's wishes while also saying he meant every word might mean enough advertisers decided to hang on, but it's Hannity so it's not like there will be any shortage of reasons to tell advertisers to ditch him.

I think it's a matter of time for Hannity. Even if he drops this Seth Rich thing and manages to survive it it's just a matter of time before he does something else insane and disgusting. Hannitys survived because he was too much of a joke for anyone to actually take seriously. This higher profile he currently has thanks to the turmoil at Fox and coziness with the Trump Admin shines a light on all the hosed up poo poo Hannity does on the regular. He'd have to dramatically change his act to avoid more scandals. And I think hes currently proving he can't do that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

QuoProQuid posted:

why would any congressional republican want to embrace a guy charged with assaulting a reporter? i get that cynicism is often this thread's schtick, but it is difficult for me to imagine a world where alleged assault is a positive for a republican candidate. even if public response ends up being muted, every one of his colleagues is going to wonder when he might snap again and if he is worth spending tons of money to defend in the next cycle.

game this out for me. i know that anne coulter and rush limbaugh might embrace these kinds of tactics, because being crude is part of their brand, but embracing attacks on journalists is still beyond the pale for most politicians and an extreme political liability. (see: bob etheridge)

The really hosed up reality of the current GOP is that they've gone all in on "winning at all costs". A bunch of Republican Congressmen said today some variation of defense for the guy because he's a Republican. Even the ones who didn't excuse him attacking a reporter or blaming the left or media still came around to "it's unfortunate but I still want the Republican to win.". So yeah, the sad reality is that the GOP will probably do everything they can to white wash this guy's record and insist the voters approved.

But I also agree with you that the reality is if he wins in a close race tonight that will mean a massive swing in the Dems favor and leave a very damaged opponent to go after with a better candidate and plan in 2018. And Republicans embracing this guy and what he now represents for 1 vote in the House will probably do more harm than good (even though it will probably be hard to gauge either).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mahoning posted:

loving lol. This is a real sentence in a political analysis article in 2017.

Ben Jacobs was on Hayes' show earlier saying how surreal it was to be at the polling stations asking voters what they think of him getting bodyslammed. 2017 is getting us all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Guys I want you all to calm down and remember. Winning or Losing in Montana is not a clear indicator of what the futures holds for the stability of our great country.

I would like to remind you guys not to read too much into one single special election result or focus on it too much after the results come in.

edit: also my name is Barack Hussein Obama

Also, if there's like a 15 point swing tonight from November with a pretty objectively weak Dem candidate that's kind of the definition of "progress" and the sort of thing that should inspire hope to build upon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Quist isn't really a weak candidate. He's pretty much a dream candidate here. Local, progressive, gun supporter, every person in the state has personally met him or knows someone who has because he's performed at every State Fair.

I'll defer to people who have paid more attention. The stuff I've read is that he's got no political experience or resume and troubling tax stuff, and he kind of got up on his name and we'll traveled career and campaigning. That last part obviously is good for a candidate (and good ideas are of course good as much as they mean anything without any kind of resume that they're more than words) but that earlier stuff seemed to be a bit of an unnecessary handicap that the Dems should be able to build on.

Hell, Quist could run in 2018 but with a year of focused political advocacy and be a better candidate.

But I admit I've only paid passing attention to this race so apologize if I have him all wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aves Maria! posted:

are lentils the new codeword for "effete liberals" in the dumbass Trump supporter lexicon?
Pretty sure it's a "Jew" thing. So, you know, he's slow playing this gimmick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Exactly, Covok's making GBS threads up the thread notwithstanding

No, he's making GBS threads up the thread BECAUSE of it. Because he's a troll and not a good faith poster. He wouldn't be here posting if Quist was winning. He's here for the loss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to sound ~Covokian~ here, but voters come 2018 won't care or care to remember what happened in another state, so using this as a benchmark for the ~growing tide of progressivism~ is *also* a bit premature.

Within a vacuum, absolutely, you're correct.

When taken with Georgia and Kansas and the 20 pt swing in NY just this week. A national pattern is developing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Silver lining here is if gianforte wins due to early voting we get to brand the Republicans as the Choke Slam Party and hopefully drive away people who think reporters shouldn't be assaulted, if there are any of those left.

Yeah, at the current moment any Republican strategist worth a drat has to be wishing Quist wins since it would be easy to write off the loss as being Gianforte's fault alone, 1 vote isn't that important, and he's going to become a massive pain in the rear end for them for the next year as Dems look to make him and his legal problems yet another symbol of the GOP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thaddius the Large posted:

It's Dr. Covokian, because his bad posting induces people to suicide.

That's not fair. He doesn't induce suicide. He works really hard to try and talk you into letting him help you kill yourself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm loving tired of coming loving close. Hillary came close, that didn't stop her from simultaneously be a catastrophic loving failure. The corpses of people who will lose life-saving insurance and die in 2018 will not give a poo poo about how good the odds look for the blues in 2020.

If it helps Quist winning would do absolutely nothing to change that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It would help if a Dem could win literally any-loving-thing that matters even a tiny bit

This isn't something that matters. And the Dems won two red seats this week, that actually arguably have more consequential worth as they probably have more localized power as state legislators. You're only making yourself feel depressed by this by falsely telling yourself that 1 House seat that has always been red would accomplish anything at all. You're tricking yourself into being depressed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ari Fleisher on Fox News trying to walk that fine line between "assault is never, ever ok" and "the liberal media is fooling themselves into thinking the voters care."

This is the boobie prize the Republicans get with Gianforte winning tonight.

It also sounds like Fox News is uncertain Gianforte is going to even make an appearance at his campaign celebration.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's literally people ITT saying "yeah it's better if Gianforte wins so we can hang it around the GOP's neck" as though Americans aren't just taking it as a signal that beating the poo poo out of uppity reporters is okay now.

Actually I believe that was mentioned as a "silver lining." And I called it a "boobie prize."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

Why is this MT special election being held in the first place? Did someone retire or join the Trump admin?

Its Ryan Zinke's seat after he was named Secretary of the Interior. The idea being you choose someone whose seat will stay safely red.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A lot of people saying it's a good sign it was a close race and shows good signs for other races, but it was a race against a guy who violently assaulted a reporter the day before election day, do you really think future races are going to be handed such a freebie the day before the election?

2/3rds of the votes were submitted before the assault and that's probably much of what we already know about the results.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paradoxish posted:

No, look, it is totally legitimate for people to be disappointed in close losses like this and it's getting ridiculous how quickly this thread jumps on anyone who says so as if they're posting Covok-level doomsday nonsense.

The point is that a close loss in an election actually gains the Democrats nothing and it doesn't really provide any new information. It confirms to some degree that there's a shift in sentiment happening, but we already know that. We know that from Donald Trump's approval ratings, we know that from polling in this race, and we know that from polling in GA-06. It's absurd to act as if a loss actually matters in any way because it really doesn't. It also makes no sense to act like the sky is falling because a deep red seat stayed red, but you're not going to get anywhere insisting that people should be happy to lose.

I don't think anyways has argued that people should be happy to lose. I think the argument is between people who wish to give the perspective of the greater picture and what it means in the macro vs people who depressed over every micro loss, regardless of whether it was genuinely meaningful or not.

Dems won two red state seats the other day. Why don't they matter? Some people seem intent to respond only to the negative.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paradoxish posted:

Everything matters. What does this even mean?

I'm saying the people screaming that they're tired of losing "everything" and acting as if this is a more meaningful loss seem to be arbitrarily choosing what they react to to focus on the negative.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rudoku posted:

Where? That'll balance out my malaise until GA.

NY/Long Island district that went +23 for Trump went +16 for the Dem.
They also won a New Hampshire district Trump won by 7.

Both are State positions which is why they aren't getting as much attention, but a real argument can be made they're as meaningful as this election and it keeps up the pattern of a left swing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-win-two-elections_us_59250144e4b0ec129d3082d0

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jack Kingston on CNN about the "bodyslam":

"We all know these things happen in politics."

Also "he was snarky and asking for it."

He's being ripped to shreds as anyone who makes this argument will be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rigel posted:

We will not be able to spin a loss in Georgia. The best we can say is "eh, maybe we can still barely win the house in 2018"

If the GOP really is vulnerable for 2018, we really should win that Georgia seat given the quality of candidate we have and the partisan makeup of the district.

I'm not as confident in a win there as others but I do agree that that one's a real enough race that a loss there is really and truly a disappointing loss. Not the most disappointing of losses or anything, but a very real shot that you don't want to miss.

It won't be the end of the world like Covok and his ilk will spin it as, but it will be a real and true setback.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just because one psycho snapped and actually attacked a reporter does not mean that open season has begun and that is going to just start happening on a regular basis. Jesus.

Yeah, I find the idea that this is some gate that just got broken down to be highly questionable. Besides the fact that I'm not convinced there's THAT many uncontrollably violent idiots in elected office the GOP is already tripping over themselves trying to figure out how to deal with one guy who did it. The overwhelming stuff I've seen on Fox News has been negative towards Gianforte and even Kayleigh McWhatsherface said he should resign his seat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Sinclair? I've never heard of them before.

Its a media company that owns a ton of local TV channels. Lately they seem to have been growing in scope and focused conservative messaging.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

60% of the vote was cast before body-slam gate. Can we get that in giant 100 point bold font with sirens flashing around it?

Doesn't matter. People want to bitch.

Fulchrum posted:

So how long til the Covoking stops?

I think Trump comes home on Saturday so as soon as he gets on a phone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rigel posted:

As soon as I confirm, 100% for sure that the race is over, I'm not coming back to this thread till like loving Monday.

edit: barring big news of course

Man, we all need to take a long holiday weekend from this thread and let Covok and his ilk wallow alone. I'm doing beer, bbq, and people I love the next few days.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arturo Ui posted:

This one's a little older and I remember it getting posted in this forum

https://twitter.com/EricTeetsel/status/689120119989997568

It would be funny if Jacobs had started that stupid meme but I'm pretty sure it was this guy who was like Jeb's campaign manager and was this seminole moment of Jeb's and the GOP's hopelessness against Trump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hope media hits the stuff about Jared's dad a lot because I want to see the Kushners start to be referenced to as a "white collar crime family".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a non-zero chance that Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions are going to make a big show of deporting a NBA player to their home country to become a political prisoner to a tyrant that this Administration has opened channels to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pakled posted:

They haven't deported Gulen, they're not going to deport Kanter, either.

In fairness, Flynn tried.

But I did say "non-zero" chance. I'm not actually in the "all hope is over, all terrible things are happening, civil rule is dead" camp. So I was 99% joking. Its the 1% of the overall Turkey situation I'm just still swallowing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 27, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So the spin is "he tried but they thought he was crazy and said no, so its all good"?

I mean, I guess it tracks with the spin of "if Donald Trump was really colluding would he make it so obvious?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tayter Swift posted:

Possible sources of that quote:
* Trump
* Kushner himself
* Ivanka
* Bannon, looking to frame him

"Complicit? I don't know what that means. But if 'complicit' means trying to open lines of communication with foreign governments in secret and lying about it in government forms all to make America great, then yes, my husband is complicit."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Twitter Trump will be back. The White House staff actually did as good a job as they could protecting and limiting him from embarrassing himself too bad this trip so it's largely just small memes and poo poo and not some massive gaffe replaying on every news hour. But when he gets home it's back to his routine and theyve shown they can't control him.

It's just a question of how long it takes him to recover from the trip and catch up on the news. Old Man Trump gonna crash hard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone wondering what it matters if Hannity gets fired need only ask themselves how much impact Bill O'Reilly has right now or when the last time they thought about Megyn Kelly was.

Hannity will have his radio show and his twitter but he loses a massive outlet if he gets fired from Fox News and its a major blow to his credibility. And its a little less poison on the air.

IF it happens. I think its probably an inevitability but I'm hesitant about all these rumors that its imminent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rinkles posted:

I don't think Hannity is losing his job over this, but he may have if he refused to drop it. That's the low standard I'm referring to.

The question is IF he dropped it since he tweeted about it immediately after his show and has been TV and Twitter silent since. Does Hannity have the humility and self control to do what he's told and drop this subject? Will Fox News be content if he drops it on air but talks about it on radio or Twitter?

Really this is probably a small bit of a larger game of tug-a-war Hannity seems to be playing with Fox News every since the fall of Ailes. So the question is when does one side have enough?

edit: And yeah, ultimately the real power is in the hands of the advertisers and enough of them put their foot down on Hannity he's done.

• Locked thread