Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why does everyone have so much hope for the testimony of the man who ruined Hillary Clinton to a legislative body controlled by the Republicans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Mustached Demon posted:

Why not? Many people have done face turns.

Okay, but even if he does, so what? It's republicans. He could show them videos of Trump pissing on hookers while sucking Putin's cock, and they'd just shrug and call it fake news.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tir McDohl posted:

Ah, I see. "Nothing matters"? Hah, that is a really funny observation that no one has had before.

This is the new post your map.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fair point, we should all be hopeless nihilists.

We should be whatever reality calls for. If nothing is actually mattering, we have to recognize that.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

I think maybe it's actually all the stuff not mattering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
If there's anything I learned from the election, it's that when USPOL (or Trump thread) start trying to clinically diagnose people who think a thing will happen, that thing will probably happen.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Someone is going to have to explain to me in more detail why that statement means pisstapes are real because I'm not seeing it. We already knew that one reason Comey personally briefed the president was that the allegations in the report were personally embarrassing. That doesn't make them real.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Alter Ego posted:

Why mention them at all then?

He was giving context for why the meeting was one on one, probably to head off questions about why he chose to initiate it that way. All other one on one meetings were initiated by trump.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

JohnCompany posted:

Because people who are informed about false embarassing charges about themselves don't tend to independently raise those allegations and dispute them without having been asked specifically months later. The March 30 phone call, when Trump says he wasn't involved with Russian hookers specifically and without prompting, is really out of place otherwise.

This was just before the media was about to report on the dossier. Of course Trump was gonna Trump about it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Feinne posted:

Because we already know what he's going to say thanks to the prepared remarks and it does in fact include some juicy stuff.

He could answer every question after those remarks by quoting a line from Baby Got Back and it'd still be pretty juicy.

I didn't see anything in that statement I hadn't read in the Washington Post.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you not see any difference between sworn testimony of a former FBI director with personal knowledge, and third hand leaks reported to the press, even if they "say the same thing?"

Of course there should be a difference in terms of legal actionability, but A. he's talking to republicans, so public opinion is still the only thing that matters, and B. there's nothing new in terms of content, so there's no way to get to "pisstapes are real."

There's A1 sauce on the bun but still no burger.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rigel posted:

yeah, that too. I couldn't put my finger on why I also strongly believed in pisstape after reading this, but thats a big part of it. "Hey come on, like... I knew I'd be recorded, so obviously I wouldn't do something stupid, right? heh... heh?"

No you didn't, Donald. You totally believed you had privacy and now you are being blackmailed.

Trump talked about how the Russians record everything at their hotels a long time ago, before he even ran. He's just repeating something he's said before.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

sean10mm posted:

I mean, what the gently caress do you want?

Initiating impeachment becomes possible if the Democrats take over the House, and/or Trump drives the GOP's overall approval so far into the shitter that it threatens the congressional Republicans' own re-election chances. Neither is certain, but both look more likely every day as Trump continues to try to do a Watergate speedrun.

An ongoing avalanche of scandals dramatically increases the odds of the Republicans in general and Trump in particular being hosed in the 2018 and 2020 elections.

You aren't going to get an instant gratification moment out of this. Watergate took a couple years to play out, and that was with a Democratic congress already in place.

I want a portal into the good timeline. I'm not disappointed by this, I just don't understand why it's so exciting.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

remusclaw posted:

I wonder how much the Trump Presidency will raise the bar for what makes a scandal? After this, will anything conventional be enough. Would Caligula be enough?

Being a democrat

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

tek79 posted:

I just came to lurk a bit, and see a few pages of pee tape chat. Is that this thread just having a good time, or was something released that would strongly indicate that the tape is real?

Nothing new was released about pisstapes, goons are dumb.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

InfiniteZero posted:

Remember back before November when it was still possible to effectively argue that crazy unthinkable things wouldn't happen?

Those were the good old days.

That only happens with stupid, evil things. Americans are more stupid and evil than we previously thought.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

it sounded like Trump was flat out not being investigated

I reccomend you listen to the Lawfare podcast episode about this from a few weeks ago - they explain it really well, and the guy basically predicts exactly what happened. Trump took a denial of a very specific kind of investigation to mean his campaign wasn't being investigated.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm sitting in a room full of republicans watching Fox news coverage of this. Their takeaway is that this is very bad for democrats because of the Loretta Lynch thing. They keep saying he "dropped a bomb" on democrats.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Ballz posted:

I must've blanked out during this part, because I don't remember anything about Loretta Lynch during the testimony. Or was that something that came out of McCain's muddled ramblings?

Lynch pressured him to not call the Clinton investigation an investigation.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
One of the old men in the room with me just said "This is a nothingburger."

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Every Republican I've talked to thinks it's a nothingburger or bad for Democrats. People really do live in separate realities.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The "Carrie Cordero and Paul Rosenzweig Weigh in on Comey" episode of the Lawfare podcast has me so loving depressed. Rosenzweig lays out in pretty convincing ways how the Mueller investigation is going to break down. There is a question of legal obstruction, but it's too difficult to prove from a prosecutor's perspective, so it's going to fall to a political charge. That means convincing Republicans there's a problem, which is never going to happen because Republican representatives are not acting in good faith, and the Republican base is immovable.

We're going to have Trump until 2024.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most annoying thing is people thinking trump would win again. i know nothing matters but how do you people tie your shoes in the morning. we're not even half a year in do you think things are gonna settle down or some poo poo?>

Post your loving map.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

For that matter I expect the Rs will run an opposing candidate.

Christ, this thread is delusional sometimes.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

Three years is a long time dude :shrug:

Not long enough to go from the current Republican structure of nearly-unmitigated support to somehow primarying the sitting president of their own party. That would require every republican in congress to suddenly become politically suicidal.

Edit: not even just congress, the entire party infrastructure. The heat death of the universe will happen first. We are on year 1 of 8, friend.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

man it's so cool that you and those guys know everything going on in the mueller investigation, care to share with the rest of us? Or you can shut up and stop your endless nothing matters posting until the investigation actually starts moving on things rather than just investigating? Like seriously I get being hopeless with such a hosed, corrupt, hateful administration. I do. But there are a LOT of people actively working to bring them to justice, and by what they've hinted at, it's a lot worse than what's currently public. So don't give up, just yet. We're not at the point of total despair just yet.
oh you're not posting in good faith, I get it now. gently caress you.

I told you exactly what I'm commenting on - a podcast by people who absolutely know what they're talking about. If you'd like to tell me why they're wrong, I'd love to hear it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

Are they in the mueller investigation, privy to what they have classified? If not, it's purely speculation.

Paul Rosenzweig's speculation is orders of magnitudes more authoritative than the speculation of anyone in this thread.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
But hey don't worry man, if I want stolen steam codes I'll come to you

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

this has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion and you're just making false accusations of my business for no reason other than personal attack since you've got nothing. Shameful, really.

SAD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

awesmoe posted:

can you explain what (the gently caress) the relationship between a republican primary challenger and "every republican in congress" becoming politically suicidal is?

e: like are you thinking about impeachment when you're talking about a primary challenge? I'm honestly confused

You're absolutely right, it would require the entire party to go insane, as I said in my edit.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
If Trump fires the special counsel, how is he going to face repercussions? This isn't the same political environment Nixon faced. As far as I can tell, there's nobody both willing and able to call him to account.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm not encouraged by the left version of civil war preppers as a political solution.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

This is one of the only things he could do that could give the Democrats a serious chance at the senate

I already got probated for low effort posting in this thread, so I'll resist the urge to just post "lol."

I don't think this is a likely outcome.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
So, did they have to call him out on the Schrodinger's Executive Privilege during the hearing, or can they hold him in contempt after the fact?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

He's not getting held in contempt. He's a Republican.

I already know that Most Things Don't Matter, but theoretically.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
<Bernie> Democrats are too centrist! Please don't ask me about abortion rights.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Overwined posted:

It's funny that Petr wants to drag the most polarizing political issue into a conversation where no mention has been made about it.

It's totally off topic for this thread, but only in so far as "Bernie Sanders is awesome!" is off-topic, and I'm not the one who started that.

In the interests of not derailing, folks can google "bernie sanders abortion" themselves.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Xae posted:

Men love interrupting women.

And gentlemen of D&D, you do it too. Without even realizing it.

Nope, I'm a nice guy.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

I interrupt everyone, just Kramering my way through life :buddy:

Without the racist outbursts

I tip my fedora egalitarianly to all humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sephyr posted:

As a foreigner, I have to ask: Is anyone here from Louie Gohmert's district or knows it well? What kind of place elects and re-elects someone so consistently dumb and vile?

He reps a blood-red Texas district that would sooner secede than vote for a Democrat.

• Locked thread