Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
We need more of this in US politics:

https://twitter.com/LordBuckethead/status/873092191173828612

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Sessions testimony today is going to be such a waste of time. He is going out there to prove to Trump that he still has value, and the GOP Senators will be only too happy to enable him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Boy, he must just be boiling with rage. All this bad press and he can't do a goddamn thing about it except whine impotently on Twitter.

Trump doesn't know how to cope without having a Hillary Clinton-like figure who he can attack to win back soft-supporters, who also serves as a pressure release valve when the media start questioning if they are focusing too much on Trump.

I think Trump would have loved to have a divided government. There would be someone to blame for his failures, he would have an easy target to attack, and on occasion he could play the role of grand deal maker.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is the Sessions hearing likely to have anything good, or is it just going to be hours of deflection and "can't answer that publicly"?

He is going to try and get the Trump side a win and prove his worth. Expect him to answer nothing about Trump citing executive privilege.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

saintonan posted:

This would be the time for Jerry Brown to step up with a very very public appearance.

The team should go visit Obama at his home in Kalorama, do the full photo-op etc. and pretend like he is still the president.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This Russia stuff has fizzled out as expected. Unless we get a leak of a smoking gun, or Trump fires Mueller, this whole thing has been a wet fart.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

repeating posted:

Regardless of how bad of a thing happened with the Comey and Sessions testimony, did you think he was gonna be impeached like today?

I'm not expecting Mueller's investigation to lead to any consequences for anyone, but I was hoping we would at least get something to infuriate Trump enough for him to lash out and keep the story going. This whole week has been incredibly tame, and now the story is about to go dark.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Maybe use the downtime to reflect whether your demands for constant entertainment could be harmful to the fabric of your society

The fabric of our society is irreparably damaged. At the very least we should get a good show in return.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

There have been whispers forever that foreign governments have poo poo on trump and have been trying to get it to the appropriate agencies in the states.

That statement sounds a lot to me like they're trying to head off something they know is coming.

the piss tape is real

We don't live in such a glorious timeline where the pee tape being real is possible. If it existed it would have been released by now.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If someone had a damning tape of Trump, and wanted to release, why would they wait until now? A tape would be sent to the NYT and WaPo immediately after the viewer was done watching it, and no one on Twitter is going to know what is coming before it happens. On the off chance that someone was sitting on it, waiting to leak it to someone who leaks it to the media, why now? Why not wait until Trump gets bored of attacking Mueller, and Russia fades from the headlines, then bring it roaring back with your leaked tape.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope barron survives the trumpocalypse intact and maybe gets adopted by some not crazy/worthless people. This is not a just world, though.

This is where the piss tape could do some good. Melania will have an excuse not to play her role in their sham marriage, and can take Barron and leave.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Coulter is going to be pissed.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Blurred posted:

I think of all the tweets he's made, this would have to be the dumbest and most self-defeating. What a loving moron.

How have his staff not learned to fill up his schedule so thoroughly that he has no time to tweet? Give him meeting after meeting, and have briefings scheduled for the trips between meetings.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uhm Trump is supposed to speak live today at 1:10pm ET holy gently caress

He will just ignore anything outside of the topic of the speech as he has done for the last few weeks.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Sound like that guy playing the violin hasn't played it since he was 12.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ossoff is going to lose tomorrow, and with him the Democrat's entire 2018 retake the House strategy. There are no moderate GOP voters. They will stand by their own, no matter what, and not enough damage has been done to the other side to get them in the game as we saw in the recent UK election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Erick Erickson thinks it's time to partition the United States...

I agree with him on that. We are far too divided to maintain the governing system we have now. We also can't keep flipping between extremes every 4-8 years. The best way forward would be some massive devolution that leaves the federal government no responsibility outside of national security. Everything else should be handled at the state level, with states able to form cooperative alliances to tackle issues.

We are only 150 days in to a Trump presidency, with no major legislation been passed and tensions are already this high. In 8 years events like last week's shooting will probably be commonplace.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/876924053189148672

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Ripoff posted:

So when Handel wins by like +35 tonight and the voting machines are immediately locked in a vault and set on fire with Republicans yelling "haha we win, no uh you can't see th-the voting machines, they're tired and need sleep", which area of the US should I move to in hopes of a secession movement taking me away from 10,000 years of Kakistocratic darkness?

Tonight is going to be very predictable.

Early vote shows Ossoff with a huge lead - everyone gets hype
The day of vote starts to trickle in from pro-Ossoff precincts, and his lead only declines slightly - prematurely declare victory
Pro-Handel precinct results start coming in and Ossoff's lead shrinks - calls to stay calm, we still have this
Steve Kornaki and John King pull up their congressional map to show that the outstanding vote is almost entirely in pro-Handel areas - start pointing to the huge swing from the previous election and how tonight is a good result for the Democrats no matter the outcome
Race gets called for Handel - attack Ossoff for being a lovely neoliberal

People need to stop pointing out the fact that Price won by 20, but Handel won by 2 as a sign of doom for the GOP. Trump won the district by 1 point, and if Democrats can't flip a district like that in this environment, they are not going to get close to retaking the House in 2018. Ossoff is much better financed than the average Democrat will be in 2018, and by then the GOP might actually point to some achievements that their base will like. Even something like Trumpcare is not going to be the winner for the Democrats that Obamacare was for the Republicans. Republicans may oppose the healthcare plan but will still turn out to vote for anyone with an R next to their name.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 20, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Radish posted:

Their base will always vote like crazy, it's the people that flip between the parties (because no party really helps them) and getting your own voters out that matter.

It's going to be a while before enough people feel the effects of ACHA, and by then they would have muddied the waters with enough disinformation that half the country will believe that people lost their healthcare because of an Obamacare poison pill, and that things would be so much worse if it were not for Trumpcare.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/877236514413060097

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

Isn't Mike Lee the only guy dumb enough to play second fiddle to Ted Cruz?

He is. Cruz on the other hand does seem to know what its in the bill because he thinks it is not mean doesn't cut costs enough.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Atlanta's traffic problems are way overblown. It never took me longer than 25 minutes to get from any point in Atlanta, to any other point. Airport to Buckhead? No problem. Downtown to North Decatur at 3:30PM on a weekday? Easy.

DC area traffic is far worse. On an average weekday it can take me 20 minutes to go 1.5 miles down Wisconsin Avenue.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

boner confessor posted:

well yeah no poo poo it's easy if you stay off the god drat interstates during rush hour

i dont even know how you'd get from downtown to north decatur using one unless you take 20 east like a jackass

I've only been to Atlanta 5 or 6 times, but even the interstates during rush hour at least have some movement, even if it is slow. I'd that take that over the literal standstill you get in DC/LA. DC traffic is terrible even outside of the freeway. I've literally seen people out for a jog get places faster than I have been able to drive there - and that is without any road incidents.

And you take Ponce De Leon Avenue to get from the city center to North Decatur.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Tokclik posted:

I live 2 blocks off Ponce De Leon in Decatur!

But I have to drive to Alpharetta for work :(

I would move to Alpharetta for convenience but I can't stand the people that live up there.

Sandy Springs is about as far North as I've been. As someone who splits time between NY and DC, and has traveled quite a bit, I must say you guys have great food in Atlanta. It's probably my favorite food city in the country.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The ATL has some good food, but any Jose Andres joint will beat them out.

I never had a good Oxen bone marrow sandwich in Atlanta.

Jose Andres is spreading himself too thin. He has two restaurants coming to NYC AND a food hall. I've got more than 100 opentable reservations for Jaleo+Zaytinya alone, and there has been a noticeable slip in quality. I wasn't impress by Fish at National Harbor either.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

B B posted:

I hear where you're coming from and the Democratic Party is super dumb if they're excited by these sorts of moral victories, but the only reason that these seats are even open is because the Republican Party knew it would be incredibly difficult for Democrats to take these seats. These special elections are in districts that Republicans won by 20+ points.

If we had a special election for one of these seats, we'd be having a very different conversation:

Flipping a little over half of those results in a Democratic majority in the house.

Ossoff underperformed Hillary after a nightmarish 5 months for the GOP, and vast resources at his disposal. When we get to November 2018 and Democrats are being outspent massively across the board, and the Republicans can point to some tax cuts as victories, I'd bet on the GOP retaining their House majority with ease, and picking up some Senate seats in the process.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

boner confessor posted:

no he didn't? we dont know exactly how hillary did in the 6th since that district didn't vote for electors (fulton county did) but ossof greatly outperformed the dem on the ballot in 2016 during the general, and came within a few dozen votes of topping all time dem turnout for the district in a special election

if you're going to freak out and get angry at least try to be factually correct while you're doing so instead of just making poo poo up

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VfkHtzBTP5gf4jAu8tcVQgsBJ1IDvXEHjuMqYlOgYbA/edit#gid=0

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

boner confessor posted:

clinton got 46% of the vote in ga-6. ossoff got 48%. think real hard, just dig down real deep into yourself, and figure out if 46 is a higher or a lower number than 48. then you will know if ossoff underperformed or overperformed compared to clinton

Hillary trailed Trump by 1.5, Ossoff lost by more than that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

boner confessor posted:

and? ossoff got a higher proportion of the vote than hillary. he got closer to winning. at least you're not talking about how the sky itself is collapsing now that i've given you a makework job of moving goalposts about

No one is moving the goalposts. The point is that there will be no Democratic wave in 2018, and I stand by that. The Democrats needed a win, not a loss by smaller margins than the previous time, to keep the momentum going into 2018. People on the left are not waking up to the headlines of a loss and feeling energized that it wasn't a 20 point blowout. 10,000 more votes in GA-6 would not be indicative of Democratic wave either, but it would set the narrative that if the left maintains the much talked about level of energy and dedication to winning back the House, they can win deep red seats, and succeed. Resources and energy are going to be critical, and so far "the resistance" has nothing to show. No one cares about losing by less than expected. Why would someone donate time and money for the Democrats to lose by less than before in 2018? Democrats already don't vote in midterms, and a lot of fights liberals care about will already be over long before November 2018. What is going to be the incentive to get people to the polls in 2018?

A lot of people are going to see the constant losses and disengage until 2020 when they can go and vote against Trump. In our day to day lives, nothing has changed from a week ago or a month ago, but anyone trying to spin last night's result as positive for Democrats is no better than the crew at the The Young Turks who spent a year telling us that Trump would be better for progressive causes than Hillary.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sure why the Republicans are going for such a drawn out Medicaid expansion phaseout. Sure it limits the effects people face early on, but it gives the Democrats something to run on until 2025 (whenever it ends), or until they control all three branches of government and can repeal Trumpcare.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/SenBobCasey/status/877915568959086592

Scrolls through the entire thread.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

saintonan posted:

Manchin opposes the House bill, but has consistently deferred on the Senate version, always just saying there aren't enough votes in the Senate for it.

He would be more likely to lose his seat for supporting the bill than voting against it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

Wait, so Collins and Murkowski are actually for this shitshow or they haven't yet decided? Because if it turns out to be 6 against, I'm feeling pretty confident nothing will be passed.

I'm guessing they are waiting to see how others react before following suit.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
DIE! DIE! DIE!

Edgy Overwatch character and GOP healthcare bill.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Trumpcare is not nearly in as much peril as its being made out to be. Obviously some tweaks will need to be made, and it was never going to be possible to get it done in 2 days, but its going to be fairly easy getting this to 50 votes. Heller and Collins will be allowed to vote no, Portman, Capito, Murkowski will be bought off with Medicaid money and opioid treatment funds. The "not evil enough crowd" will be easy to win over by cutting further regulations. Everyone McConnell needs to vote yes will vote yes, no matter how much they dislike the bill. It's worse to get this far and fail, than end up voting for a bill that no one really likes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

I love how he waited until the show was just about done so they couldn't respond live on air.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/greta/status/880513587269316608

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
It's bizarre listening to this serious sounding BBC world news reporter read out Trump's tweets from today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Hastings posted:

Apparently now it is, because Mika and Joe are going to tag team a bitch tomorrow, and you know Trump will be live tweeting the entire time.

I'm pretty sure Trump's phone has already been taken away to prevent him from escalating things further. We will probably see some tweets from staffers who will plug whatever message they want to get across while they know everyone is furiously refreshing his twitter page expecting him to hit back.

The real response will come in a few days time when staffers will have let their guard down, and Trump finds himself with a few minutes to himself to tweet about how he knew Mika was cheating on her husband from the first time he met her, and that MSNBC should break her and Joe up as a couple.

• Locked thread