Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Confounding Factor posted:

Hey Leon Trotsky 2012, after reviewing Mulvaney's budget proposal and if it was ever to pass, what does that mean for corporations like Walmart who are a burden on taxpayers that provide welfare programs for underpaid workers? Does that mean in theory there could be more pressure on Walmart to increase wages with such severe cuts to those programs?

I'm not an accelerationist, but I would think some of these large multinational corporations that have grossly profited from such cheap labor is going to face tremendous heat on paying better wages and benefits. Maybe I'm too optimistic in this leading to violent protests.

Lmao, gently caress no, and if there are protests the riot police will be sent in. The Republican end goal is to serve power and money while eliminating any rungs on the ladder; near permanent state of crisis for the nonrich is thus an explicit step in this process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A moon colony is probably a stupid idea, even in the grand scheme of overly optimistic space missions of dubious value. That said, I do not deny you it would be cool.

I mean, not really? Like, not as a large scale colony I think, there is a lot of limitation on that, but it'd be a fantastic dockyard/gas station for further exploration due to the low gravity. The moon also has a lot of mineral resources that might be exploitable. The bottleneck is the massive expense in getting a moon colony that can sustain humans anywhere near long term without constant imports from earth, like bi-weekly. When thinking of outer space colonies people tend to forget how loving barren most of the rest of the solar system is.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Sure, in the grand scheme of building a functional, well-funded space exploration program with clear goals and a need for something like an orbital refueling station. I'm saying that it currently feels like putting the cart ahead of the horse by at least a couple blocks. If you really want to shoot for the moon (as it were), you'd probably need to spend months shuttling up modules and shitloads of water, while in the meantime the US launch capacity (and the general space-readiness of the world in general) is still pretty limited. We...might have better luck capturing comets for extraterrestrial water needs sometime in the future, but uh, that doesn't seem like an even remotely trivial problem and would require years of investment in tech and procedures we just currently don't have.

Meanwhile, lest we forget in our fun little technocratic daydreaming, Trump. And global warming. And Russia. There's kind of a lot of important distractions to doing Cool Space Stuff at the moment.

Oh, sorry misunderstanding then as I don't disagree with any of this. I assumed theoretical, not the fact that politically and practically it's unreasonable and infeasible.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How long until we find out that the entire administration was in on this meeting? Jesus Christ.

Ryan and McConnell get conference called in by Manafort, Jr. butt dials Reince. Sessions has been hiding behind the curtains the entire time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Money and power double whammy.
They will get funds for elections from insurance companies that are allowed to deny coverage to maintain profits. The higher the profit, the more they can give to the GOP.
And the poor minorites die quicker and in more number, meaning less potential Democrat voters.

Win/win for the evil party.

As Boon stated, insurance companies actually want a market to even make money with, Graham-Cassidy and every other Republican bill so far would have thrown private insurance into chaos. Graham keep pushing a bill that would result in single-payer being the only option forward to smother the flames and would be the height of loving irony if irony hadn't been shot dead in 2015.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ted Cruz is the words "moist" and "shitstain" made animate and stuffed into a vaguely human skinsuit made from lamprey leather.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

How does such a thing make ANY sense from an actual logical perspective?

What kind of Republican waffles between a child molester and a not-a-child-molester, and has the scale tipped in the former's favor because of lack of punishment of a completely unrelated Democrat for a far less serious offense?

Hello traveler from 2014, you have a lot to catch up on!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Let’s do the math actually

A North Korean nuke exploding over Los Angeles

Vs

Republicans causing ACA to collapse

Over a period of 10 years which would kill more people?

This is really dumb and pointlessly macabre, they're both potentially as disastrous except one is an emergent, realistic possibility and the other is the fantasy of a dumb gimmick account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

On this timeline anything is possible tbh.

I wonder if Russia's end goal was really to get Trump in or whether they accidentally did too well. Like, if there goal was to disrupt the election and get Trump enough following but still have Clinton in but looking really weak. That way there would have unlikely been a Russia investigation and the GOP still would have benefitted quite heavily. But they underestimated how dumb some of the voters in the US were and once Trump got in the Russians started to panic a bit.

Need to see how 2018-2022 play out to really tell if this backfired at all on Russia. If the Dems hold both chambers in 2022 it means Russia lost big on the gamble. Any other result and they either came out ahead or lost nothing.

• Locked thread