Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Uh, Bill, this is basically saying the leakers don't exist but Trump is committing treason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You guys realize the republican-led CBO board is not going to let a score pass through that doesn't allow for reconciliation. Even if they have to lie to everyone's faces well that's just Republicans for you: Traitors, Liars, thieves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Is there any chance the CBO score isn't as bad as we've been predicting?

Republicans run the board. Expect them to give a rosey opinion along party lines.

Covok
May 27, 2013

evilweasel posted:

It qualifies for reconciliation.

Knew it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rigel posted:

It does appear that it will be reconciliation-compatible. No house revote needed, I think.

It saves a bit less money than the last evil bill, but saves enough. Slightly fewer people will be uninsured in evil bill #2 than in evil bill #1, but its still a horrifically evil bill.

The board is republican-led. There was no way in hell it wouldn't be reconciliation compatible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rigel posted:

The CBO summary acidly remarked that they aren't counting people who buy the poo poo insurance the GOP will offer as being insured.

That was them getting around what Bloomberg point it out. By doing it that way it passes reconciliation while lying about the fact that it actually doesn't save money period I told you republican-led board will lie and cheat and steal and that's what they just did.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This thing will pass the Senate. Just like last time some Republicans will be given a hall pass. But Pence will laugh as he confirms the vote with his tie breaker. This is Devos 2.0.

I've been telling people that Republicans will try to kill as many people as possible while they have power. No one believed me. This bill confirms it as will it's confirmation in the Senate.

There is no filibuster. There is no hope. Republicans will retain the senate in 2018.

This is reality.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

If I'm not mistaken they only have about 2 vulnerable Senate seats out of the 8 GOP seats up in 2018, so I agree that what they'll do is let the final vote be 50-50 + Pence as tiebreaker to get it passed and those two Senators can go home and say "I had concerns about the bill" and safely hang on to their seats.

This guy gets it. There is no hope. What will happen is political theater. Just like with DeVos. I said it back when this past the house but it will pass the Senate unchanged. I will be right about this again. It will play out exactly as I said and everyone else will be shot it happened.

Lote posted:

This bill doesn't start saving money for the average premium until 2021 or after. In the meanwhile, premiums will increase +25% on top of any predicted Obamacare premium increases. The forecast is basically +50-70% premiums in 2020 from 2017 premiums. This will crush the Republican Party. White non-educated working class aged 50-64 went for Trump like 65/35.

I'm sorry mate but you just don't get it. Do you know what's on the news right now? It isn't anything to do with the CBO. Right now they're talking about the Manchester incident. That's what's going to happen. Fox News and the right-wing media will never report on the problems. Trump voters only listen to the right-wing media. If people raise concerns they'll blame Democrats. The Republicans will be unaffected. It doesn't matter what Trump does or what the Republicans do because their voters are sheep and the Republicans know that period we're not dealing with intelligent life we're dealing with highly trained animals that are acting exactly as their masters want.

That's all you're going to find in the head of a trump voter or republican in general. They are just animal they are not human. Do not expect anything related to empathy from them. Empathy comes from humans. Cruelty comes from Republicans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covok
May 27, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

Sorry, Binghamton, New York, Toledo, Ohio, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

I don't blame you for not knowing about Binghamton. I went to college there and it sucked. Dead rear end town. Nothing much to do there outside the college and the bars.

Speech to text can be iffy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus christ, shut the gently caress up, you lovely loving gimmick. I legitimately don't understand why you haven't just killed yourself already.

You know what would be more useful than spending every day masturbating 'til your dick bleeds? loving working. On anything. Anything the gently caress at all. Do you write your congressman? Do you phonebank for progressive candidates? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Pass out flyers? loving anything that would make anyone on the surface of this loving earth glad you exist?

We've got life and death issues here and the only thing you're capable of talking about, incessantly, is how good you are at gargling your own cock. If all you've got to say in the midst of one of the most significant political periods in American history is "Appreciate the congrats" then just loving be honest with your worthless self for once and go join the GOP.

I do write my congressman, phone bank for Democrats, and volunteered at soup kitchen. I also do other things. But this election taught me that a bunch of people telling me everything is alright is the wrong advice to take. Those people are always wrong and things are always worse than you expect. The bad thing will always happen and the evil guys will always win. So you got a fight as hard as possible to eke out some kind of pathetic victory. That's all that goodness will ever achieve in this universe for we live in a very uncaring place and our lives do not matter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covok
May 27, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

as someone who also went to college there

there exactly 3 things notable about Binghamton

Carousels
IBM
Rod Serling

Wait, what Carousel and Rod Serling?

Covok
May 27, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

there's more than one carousel in the carousel capital of the world dude

and Rod Serling grew up in Binghamton

That's weird. The Road Serling thing never came up. The college certainly loved to remind me that Flo graduated from the college, for some reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

when our other notable alumni are Tony Kornheiser and Paul Reiser I can see why

Who the gently caress are those people? Were one of those the accountant who sold private information that they all used as a example of "don't-do-this-or-you'll-go-to-jail!"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

Kornheriser is a sportswriter and one of the creator's of ESPN's PTI (the white bald dude) and Reiser was a star of Mad About You

Learn something new every day.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Considering the heavy early voting in Montana, expect the R to win despite body slamming the reporter.

Considering that only two senate seats are vulnerable in 2018, even if they are using this period as a test for blowback, it's easy to see the AHCA passing regardless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If it's true that Covok is 24 then his gimmick is mostly explained by the fact that the consequence-understanding part of his brain is finally starting to grow in. Most people in their mid-twenties go through a phase where they're in the thrall of what amounts to brain-puberty. You get a spike in anxiety, obsessions with bad outcomes, and what's weirdly common is a certainty that you'll die young, which is your newfound ability to grasp mortality fighting with your adolescent conviction that you're special and something noteworthy is destined to happen to you.

Covok you're making this poo poo worse by indulging in your terrible habit. Don't turn a temporary quirk of brain chemistry into your permanent personality through sheer repetition. You're supposed to be spending this important time learning how to cope with mortality and life's uncertainty. Training yourself to act like a flailing idiot every time you confront a scary thought is literally going to ruin your life.

You have a serious problem.

exploded mummy posted:

where ever he lives now isn't Binghamton

that alone is a positive

Yeah, it's nice being away from that place. The skyline is like loving Mars. You know, gray. A lot of people don't know that, but it's gray. And it's always cold there. Pretty lovely place all around.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Knew it: the Republican is going to win. Republicans will double down knowing they can body slam reporters and still win. Welcome to a preview of 2018.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

For fucks sake wait until all precincts in a county have reported before making conclusions.

The precincts that did report were the ones he needed to win and win big. It's pretty much over. A man who assaulted journalists the day before the election won. Democracy in America is a failed experiment, mate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

axeil posted:

It's p bad

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/867931149154123776

And this is why more results won't help. The civilized places have already reported.

It's likely going to go 60-40, R at this point if the rural counties aren't in. Considering Trump's rhetroic, i'm not suprised 9% of people voted R because he assaulted journalists. We just aren't living in a sane nation anymore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

1/3 of all registered voters in the state mailed in ballots, this needed to happen sooner.

Yeah, that's why I said earlier that the amount of early voting made the body slam not matter what's so ever. It's just over for the Dems here, really.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Dude's probably gonna lose but what's important is the amount he loses by. A single-digit loss is still bad news for GOP

Yeah, keep running on that one, mate. Maybe one day it will be true.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

When you learn what a precinct is, you will understand how stupid your post is.

The rest left are the heavily rural ones. It's over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm loving tired of coming loving close. Hillary came close, that didn't stop her from simultaneously be a catastrophic loving failure. The corpses of people who will lose life-saving insurance and die in 2018 will not give a poo poo about how good the odds look for the blues in 2020.

And this is what I'm talking about. There is no such thing as a "moral victory" to the out-of-work family of two who just lost their health insurance from the AHCA and, due to the medicaid roll backs, can't afford to keep their eldery parents alive and have to watch them go before their time. All this "numbers" and "it will be fine in 2018" and other self-serving poo poo just serves to piss-off people who know that people will die because we keep losing. Losing is losing in a "winner-take-all" system. If you want people to care or have hope, win.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cult member at airport posted:

If Republicans end up winning >50% of congressional seats in 2018 by single digits, people in this thread will be saying "But the GOP should have won some of those seats by like 20% This is great news for Democrats in 2020!!"

"The Republicans only won both houses by 1%. 2020 will go great!"

"Trump only won by 2% this time! The house and senate only went Republican by 1% again! 2026 wave, here we come!"

"The new Republican President lost the popular vote! We have a chance in 2032!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

fsif posted:

This seat was going to be largely symbolic anyway, but unfortunately, instead of symbolizing "uh oh, maybe we gotta taper back on killing our constituents and our deference to the insane corrupt toddler", it symbolizes "ha! gently caress off, journalists.”

Montana only has one congressman in the House. It is apples to apples.

Yeah, people are forgetting this means its open season on journalists. You can win an election while literally body slamming a reporting. Doesn't mean they'll assault them now, but it sure means they know they don't have to respect or fear journalists. In the most symbolic way possible, the free press in America is neutered. Not from this event, but the slow erosion in confidence due to Republicans politicizing the concept of facts that make it so the people we need to turn against Trump will gladly vote for him due to misinformation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's brought some much needed levity to this thread.

Covok
May 27, 2013

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531088285/trump-s-approval-rate-decline-is-nothing-compared-to-other-presidents

Covok
May 27, 2013

gently caress, that's crazy. America might literally be a failed democracy now: 80 years for protesting the President.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Then the optics shift to the RINOs. Republican support will never falter. It is beyond delusion.

As a friend of mine in Texas once said, Dems are only winning back Texas one grave at a time. To be clear, implying the Olds dying off is the only hope for Texas ever freeing itself from the disease.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I ain't getting on a plane for the next 8 years now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Man, that special prosecutor better prove what we all known: that all republicans are traitors to the state and deserve life imprisonment.

I mean, I know that's wishful thinking and WILL NEVER happen, but a man can dream.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nixon had 40% approval ratings when he was impeached.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

It'll be funny if/when Gorsuch votes to strike it down if just for Trump's reaction.

Which should be a lot like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JamMWk9D68

I'm not even trying to be "nothing matters" here, but there is a very real situation that their court packing scheme results in the Supreme Court upholding it. Like, Gorusch was appointed by Trump himself. The main chance is Kennedy, really. What I'm saying is that I will be on pins and needles over this. If the SC approves it, that's over on the muslim ban debate: they'd have to approve the belief that the President has the right to restrict access to the country based on Religion. That's a loving Plessy vs Ferguson level of horrible SC decisions. For those who don't know, PvF is the one that created segregation (overturned by Brown vs Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

A couple pages back:

Why is polling in the UK so goddamn bad?

Too many pub crawls have resulted in a population that can't be relied upon to answer a question based on their feelings. (joke)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

THAT WAS FROM loving HALF COURT

edit: wrong thread oh well

Basketball fan or something else?

Actually, this is how Police dressed in 1964:

Sounds like it's the same problem (racist cops) with a different outfit.

That's literally the 6th GIS result for police in 1964.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

If only we were so blessed as to have Trump spend his 4 years doing nothing but using his position to rub elbows and show off to his other C-list celebrity friends.

Yeah, Taft 2.0 would have been a blessing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

gently caress Steve King but gently caress every single loving Republican who had a hand in the active persecution of a goddamn political opponent through defunding a public service. Jesus Christ, is there any loving end to the evil these fucks won't go to?

America is broken, seriously. Utterly, utterly broken.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lex Luthor is more eloquent than this :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have to wonder if Trump is literally the most stupid elected Head of State ever. Emphasis on elected, obviously there were tons of inbred Monarchs.

That Italian Prime Minister who hosed all the super models and had 100 mistresses probably ranks up there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I know we are all talking about Middle East 2.0, but what are the serious chances that AHCA passes considering McConnell has just fast-tracked the vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Evil Weasel explained earlier how this was expected procedure.

Okay, I assume that's in the "if they want to pass their own variant on the bill, they need to do this way." So, I guess I just have to worry about another "wait, what the gently caress? we didn't mean to override the Preisdent's vet on this bill! gently caress! gently caress!!! This is the president's fault!" moments.

• Locked thread