Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reik posted:

The Bare Jew

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

I give you a 2 out of 10.

A decent reply gif should be a response or a gimmick. A good one is both.

Yeah but using Titus is basically cheating.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We've had the daycare talk here before, and I've chimed in before as well.

I live in Southern California and we pay over $40,000/year for childcare for two kids, in a chain childcare facility (also the cheapest out of the 5 nearby).

It's insane.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Katt posted:

For that money you could hire a well educated collage grad to tend to your kid all day.

And probably have a bunch of deductions too.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea for 40k you could just hire someone to take care of your kids. There has to be cheaper alternatives

No... we couldn't.

We could have an Au Pair for less than $40k/year, but then we'd have to have an extra room, which means a larger house, and they have work hour restrictions that wouldn't work with our working hours. There are in-home daycare options nearby that would save us about $6,000/year, but all have been booked up since we moved here a little less than a year ago.

In-home nannies run about $16-20/hr, with $16 covering the 19-24 year old with no degree demographic.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beejay posted:

My goodness, no degree. Imagine. Why, I recoil at the thought.

Did you even read the comment I was replying to?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

2, and it doesn't get much better when they go to school, as they now have to pay for afterschool care

It actually gets a lot cheaper once they are in school and just need before and/or after school care. We'll save about $1,500/month once they are both in elementary school, for instance.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fluffdaddy posted:

poo poo I'll come watch your kids for 40k a year

Enjoy either paying $1,200/month for a 1 bedroom apartment and commuting for an hour, or paying $2,500/month for a 1 bedroom apartment and commuting for 15 minutes.

Also, I wouldn't pay you as much as I'd be willing to pay an accredited facility. So, yeah.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azhais posted:

Or for way less just get an au pair

Like I mentioned in my previous post, an Au Pair requires a dedicated bedroom. Housing is extremely expensive here, and there's a huge bump in cost between a 3 bedroom and 4 bedroom townhouse/house. An Au Pair would generally mean bumping up a larger home, which would offset much if not all of the cost savings.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beejay posted:

If you are truly struggling with money and life then sometimes you have to do some things that are less than ideal. That is the entire basis of this conversation. You can't be like "I'm struggling, and I have no choice whatsoever besides this $3000 per month daycare!"

That might be the point of some of the other posts, but mine was simply to express that the cost of childcare is extremely high, not that I'm struggling and have no idea what else I could possibly do.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have certain money "struggles" but it's because my monthly expenses are incredibly high, all of which are due to decisions that myself and/or my wife have made.

We don't save like we should because of our expenses, and that causes stress and "struggle" when something happens that requires money to remedy. These struggles are in no way relative to the struggles that the majority of people in this country face on a daily basis. Struggles to simply have a roof over your head, feed yourself or your children, get yourself to work, or even get yourself somewhere to FIND work. We do not have these struggles, and our struggles pale in comparison.

My wife and I both spent too much money on college, and took out too many student loans. I've posted before about her loans, which are well over half a million dollars. Mine are just over $100k. We spent thousands of dollars per month as a result of these bad decisions that we made in our youth and early twenties, but we made our beds and now we are sleeping in them.
We choose to live in an area with a high cost of living, partly because it is where the jobs are, but also because we believe it is worth the cost to live here for the time being. It is a struggle to afford living here, but we have decided to sacrifice things like vacations to live in our community. We spent $40k/yr on childcare as that is what it happens to cost, we wanted kids, we don't have family available to watch our kids, and we both make enough to offset the cost.

I have an expensive hobby (cycling) and we each own two cars. Neither of these things are even remotely necessary, but I sacrifice elsewhere to afford them. I don't shop at whole foods like my neighbors, I bring cheap home-cooked food to work for lunch, and we don't eat out.

I guess my point is that I don't want to say "Oh man I make a bunch of money but you have no idea how hard it is to afford the basics!" because that's not true. I do make a lot of money, and I do find myself stressed out about my bills, but I also spend a lot of money on things I don't need. I could move somewhere cheaper, but I don't, because at the end of the day my money stress is not the stress of someone that is afraid of being homeless next week. It's stress of "man, I don't feel comfortable with my account balance."

And that's not the loving same. At all.

I think a lot of people in my situation forget just how much we could change to lower our costs of living. When I talk to neighbors I get really irritated at how completely out of touch they are about these things, and what people actually struggling to get by are dealing with. We COULD move. A lot of people can't. Our worst-case scenario is the best-case-pipe-dream for a lot of people.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 17, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KickerOfMice posted:

Hey my "learn to cook" post was in response to 'a person who eats all their meals out.' Out of genuine curiosity, how is the quality of that BlueApron food?

My wife and I did it for a few weeks and weren't into it. It's more expensive by far than going to the grocery store, takes forever to prep/cook, and makes a shitload of trash.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cool, I'm in the blue now.

Based on the first House plan calculator I would have seen a roughly $3,600 increase in federal income tax.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chinese Gordon posted:

I'm a lurker who has read and enjoyed (really!) almost all of both Trump threads and I'm about to give up. Please, please take general sex assault chat and intra-left slap fights to the appropriate threads. I'm begging you.

Quoting this as well. I post in this thread rarely but read every page and god drat gently caress this past few days.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In case it hasn't been posted in the last couple of days

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/532608358508167168

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

This is as stupid as when Andrew Schlafly argued that Einstein's Theory of Relativity implied moral relativism.

Well it was a theory of a general overall relativity, which of course would include morali-OHGODIVEGONECROSSEYED

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

A level of :qq: I'm not mad :qq: previously unheard of.

Sweet conservative tears.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Just chiming in to point out that I've done my part by having 4 mixed-race, hopefully progressive as hell children. I just need to be sure they move out of California.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No joke, he's going to spend the entire time contesting the legality of the election, and may well request that some kind of Federal police or military force keep him in office.

I’ve been saying this since last November. When trump has to hand over the presidency it’s going to be an absolute shitshow. He won’t trash the White House but he’s never, ever, going to accept a loss.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Christ this is me and my wife... this bill raises my loving taxes, amazing.

gently caress off, Republicans.

My wife and I are in the 200-500k group and live in a high-housing cost area of a high-tax state. We have very little in investments thanks to incredibly high student loan debt and being relatively young high earners. We took a massive loss selling our house this year that was bought in 2007 and currently rent. We stand to lose.... Bigly.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No no no no no don’t do this.

I’ve been involved in that derail too many times.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

We already litigated this. If you can afford to live in Manhattan, you're rich by definition because you can choose to spend all your money on that. Commute in like all the other poor people.

I’m okay with this take. I choose to live in an expensive area and that’s why it’s so expensive to live here. Any struggles I might have are a result of my choices in lifestyle, all of which could be adjusted to make my COL less than it is.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uglycat posted:

"Choices" is a strange word, when discussing such opulence and privilege. You're playing both sides of the Just World Hypothesis in this post.

Dude. I live in a townhouse in a suburb and have two used cars I paid less than $15k each on. I’m doing completely fine but I’m not discussing opulence here. Give me a loving break. I’m making the point that while people with high incomes like mine often bitch about cost of living making them struggle, they and I have a high cost of living due to choice. Mine could certainly be higher, but it could just as certainly be lower. I’m not playing both sides. gently caress.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

How the gently caress have you not paid off your student loans if you make 200-500k per year?

100% of all people who say that people who make 100k or over per year are struggling are brain damaged. Nowhere in the world is someone who makes that much struggling, and so far nobody who has ever said such a dumb thing has answered me when I ask how they think people who live in the same region but only make minimum wage survive.

Over half a million in student loan debt and a very short period of time making that kind of income work for you? Also, we are at the low end of 200-500k.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fragmented posted:

Wait what? I was talking about the 200k+ income earners posting in the thread. If you are one of them yeah maybe your taxes should go up a bit. I also want to wipe all student loan debt over 5-30k depending on income level and have a tax rate like we had in the 50's.

Edit: What made you think i support anything in this tax bill from that post? I didn't quote anyone and this thread moves super fast?

I understand your frustrations and dude, I seriously appreciate the work that you are doing. I know that despite my very liberal positions i am still out of touch with how most of this country is living, and my version of "making ends meet" is not copacetic with reality for most people.

Yes, my wife and I both make six figure salaries and yes, that is a shitload of money. We both had a lot of lucky breaks in where we were born and who we were born to, and both chose to go into industries that are historically high income. We took on a shitload of student loan debt to make that happen, and we again got lucky in our career advancements. We both appreciate where we are and how lucky we are to be here.

We live in a high cost of living area for a couple of reasons:

-The schools here are top notch
-Even here, we each have 45 minute one-way commutes. Closer for each would entail even higher housing costs.
-Our neighborhood is incredible, and we opted to spend money on our neighborhood at the expense of other pleasures, like eating out or amusement parks.

I know you want to respond "amusement parks! People can't afford food!" And you're right. It's totally out of touch with the people you work with. But here's the thing... we make several orders above the average income in this country, and my state, but we can't really afford to hit the amusement parks, let alone take an actual vacation. It used to be that if you made a really good loving living, you could live in a nice neighborhood and still go on vacation once per year.

A 1,900sf townhouse here is $800,000. Daycare is over $3,000 for 2 kids. We don't need any of these things (kind of need daycare right now). We pay thousands per month in student loan payments. I'm in a good place and I'm well off, but man I wonder what it was like when you could make 4x the median income and you were actually rich. I'm not complaining, please understand that. I'm super lucky and I have literally everything I need.

I'd be completely on board with a tax increase if it wasn't to fund goddamn billionaires. But increasing my taxes and taxes on the poor to fund the wealthy is loving garbage.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“CassandraSupreme”" post="“478898724”"]
so far nobody who has ever said such a dumb thing has answered me when I ask how they think people who live in the same region but only make minimum wage survive.
[/quote]

By struggling WAY WAY more. Jesus Christ. This isn't rocket science.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CassandraSupreme posted:

I wonder what the racial makeup of that "good" school is.

I wonder if that's part of the point.

God drat gently caress you.

I am white. My wife is not.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I love this thread but some of you people are pure loving garbage.

And apparently not white = Asian? Not like it loving matters. Sorry your life sucks, dude.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You know what, if the senate passes a poo poo of a tax bill today I think I'll still be in a good mood tonight.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It was obvious by the context of the discussion and, you know, reality, that he meant pass the senate. Durr.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Intra-staff surrogacy.

We really are living in the Veep world.

But, like, more rapey.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think "Asked my subordinates to be surrogates" is code for "Tried to gently caress my subordinates, and totally wouldn't have asked them to get abortions if they'd gotten pregnant."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can we go back to talking about grandfathers, mountains, fast food, bitcoin, cost of living, and who's actually middle class again? Please?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Saint Celestine posted:

This is accurate.

Which makes me wonder how Marco Rubio is so poor.

Relative to his peers at least...

Is this thinly veiled humorous commentary or an obvious setup for a joke?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

wow. I like um, don't know what to say to this. I'm so sad right now.

It's too soon to be talking about gun control.

But we should immediately talk about chain migration because an idiot gave 4 people scrapes today with a firecracker.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Coming out of lurk mode to say

Yes.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hail Gein!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Megustalations, everyone.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

It's what the rich juggalos drink

I'm going to allow this.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Spotted in San Clemente, CA this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bhaal posted:

Though it does raise the question, does the GOP have their own Hillary?

Donald J. Trump.

• Locked thread