Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Covok posted:

They are just animal they are not human.

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

What's the collective name for Vermin Supreme supporters?

Vermin Supremacists.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a buffalo?

Actually, I am p sure it is a bison.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

evilweasel posted:

hey remember when trump was going to set up a war room to coordinate their response to all the scandals, which was important to get done asap considering comey is about to pour gasoline on them

neither does he

The War Room is in Trump's head, and his phone is Secretary of Defense.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, the actual damage it would do if Putin released it would be pretty minimal. It's about as bad as the pussy grab tape, it would embarrass Trump but that's about it.

It's far more valuable as leverage.

It would prove that Russia had been blackmailing Trump, and that he was complicit. Regardless of the content, that would be enough to completely sink him.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
I think it goes without saying that a failure to enforce a law in the past does not invalidate the enforcement of said law in present or future cases.

Or at least, it shouldn't.

Can anyone with any real legal experience weigh in on this?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does this mean Trump gets sent to a remote island to live out the rest of his days if he's found guilty?

Nah. He would probably go live in Russia.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Ularg posted:

wait, you need a majority to convict someone for lying under oath. What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Or is it just "Well he lied under oath but we don't really want to fire him, he can AG from prison"?

Impeachment may not be necessary. If the state bar association where he is registered successfully brings a case against him for perjury, he will lose his license to practice law.

That would make him ineligible to lead the justice department.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't that naked perjury then? I mean it's a simple fact: the murder rate is up 10% or it's not. He said under oath it is. If it's not, is that not perjury?

It has to be shown that not only is this statement false, but Sessions knows it is false and the fact that it is false matters to his testimony.

Edit: beaten

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Levitate posted:

Sessions is basically just a giant evil shithead isn't he

Well, Trump made him a member of his cabinet. It is pretty much a prerequisite.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

LaserShark posted:

How is that even supposed to work?

Sessions is referring to the fact that he is physically melded to Trump like some Lovecraftian nightmare or that one episode of Doctor Who where the fat man absorbs all those people into his body, leaving only their faces. Ipso facto, Sessions is Trump so sessions cannot be called to testify against Trump.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

TARDISman posted:

How are they even tangentially related?!

LIBERALS! :bahgawd:

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The authority of the presidency does not come from living in the Whitehouse. It comes, at least in principle, from the will of American citizens. If Trump loses in 2020, that next January he loses all of his authority. And although in those months after the election he may cry and scream and throw his toys out of his crib, nothing short of a constitutional amendment or coup de'tat backed by the military can change that.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Hey remember 24 hours ago when half this thread was running to their fainting couch because that shooting was going to end the investigation or something?

What that was clearly last month

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Did anyone expect that a Trump speech on an important issue would be intelligent and measured?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
How much do you want to bet that Trump's staff have 'cultivated' Trump's audience to ensure that they are only made of hardline supporters just to control his ego?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

gently caress me was that as bad as I thought it was

No. It was worse. :sigh:

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
There better be a drop tonight. I need some Grade-A schadenfraude to cope with this poo poo.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Will this sort of thing prompt a response?

Trump will blame it on Obama.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Volkerball posted:

Depends. His body didn't show signs of abuse when he returned, and I believe the prevailing theory is that the brain damage was most likely triggered by him attempting to hang himself. If the government suspects foul play, it would be a different story, although if that were the case, we'd probably already know it.

Seripus question, because i honestly don't know: if he did try to hang himself, wouldn't there be bruising around his neck?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

SubponticatePoster posted:

Is she supposed to be smiling? All I'm seeing is :cenobite:

That facial expression is what regular botox injections and deep, sharp regret look like when combined.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The Official Something Awful Trump Thread Poll shows it's a dead-ringer for Handel, conclusively adding to that result that "nothing matters", "the democrat party sucks", and "America is dead and gay".

But seriously don't get your hopes up. It'll just hurt that much more if they are crushed.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

There's still going to be a wave. The question is if the wave will be big enough.

This election is being used by both sides as a litmus test for 2018, but it matters so much more than that. Ossoff winning the election will probably be the only thing that could happen to scare the GOP into watering-down the AHCA and being careful what radical laws they pass. Because the only thing they care more about than killing poors is retaining power.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
You know I am starting to think that this thread really is cancerous. Everyone here (aside from the few trolls) has an intense emotional investment in politics, as if the success of the democratic party is the sole cause of and limiting factor for our happiness. So when the democratic party faces a failure it is easy freak out, become depressed or start fighting. And because we all feel the same about this, these emotions spread quickly.

So, I want to try to stop this train-wreck now and say that we are all putting too much stock in this election. Hell, most of you don't even live in GA-06. Life is complex, and there are other ways we can improve our lives and find happiness.

I am going to stop reading this thread and continue preparing for my grad school applications.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

LOVE ME! - Donald J. Trump, 24 Jun 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The problem with Kennedy retiring is that the last time there was a decision on political gerrymandering, Kennedy was the only one on the fence. He asserted that political gerrymandering was probably unconstitutional, but that without a reliable statistical method of proving when/Where it exists the court could not stop it. Now that there are ways of identifying it, and a new case is coming down the pipeline, we really need him on the court.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

have yet to see one of these pre-warmed story turn out well.

usually it's the unexpected poo poo that are the biggest scoops.

Yeah, that's the problem isn't it? If some news organization were sitting on something big, like really big, they would want to spring it on the public as soon as possible for maximum exposure. The only reasons to keep something back are to verify the story better, protect sources, or just keep poo poo stories no-one cares about off the channel/page.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

KickerOfMice posted:

Even if countermeasures are created?

Well of course not. If we find a solution to the problem and enact it, by definition the problem will go away.

Question is, what countermeasures? And are they actually feasible to implement?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Jesus loving Christ. This really has the chance to completely gently caress up lgbtq lives in the US. This one case could decide whether or not a doctor has the right to deny treatment to a gay man who is bleeding to death, whether or not landlords can refuse to allow us to rent from them or buy houses, whether or not loving cashiers at grocery stores can let us buy food. gently caress.

The only silver lining to this is that the court may implement a very limited ruling to avoid controversy.

RBG better not loving die. For the sake of all of us.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

mdemone posted:

No, this is only about cases in which "expression" is the issue. Like wedding cakes expressing beliefs the bakers don't hold.

At least that is my small understanding of it.

In the conservative lexicon, religious expression isn't just about the creation of things such as wedding cakes that could be used to express ideas. It covers anything a person might do in accordance with their religious beliefs.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Drone posted:

Aren't there separate laws that prevent this? Or otherwise license repercussions that a doctor would face from his/her state medical board.

Who'm I kidding, it's America, so the answer is "loving LOL of course not"

There are existing laws against this, but supreme court decisions have the authority to overrule existing laws.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
poo poo is really hitting the fan today, in a bad way. I hope the Wittes thing is one hell of a bomb.

*sigh* here is a picture of a good dog to help ease the nerves

BlueberryCanary fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 26, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Even your dog picture is broken.

gently caress this world!

Sorry, fixed now. Took some time b/c I was on mobile

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

I wake up and you are all acting loving crazy wtf is going on calm the gently caress down.

Travel ban reinstated by supreme court
Church schools are declared they cannot be denied public funds
Supreme court set to take up and bungle important lgbt rights case

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

I guess LGBT couples who want to marry will have to find a caterer who approves. Not my biggest concern at this point in time.

Supreme court cases are pretty much never about the initial grievances that led to the case.

The big question in this case is whether or not private entities or individuals can be allowed to deny goods or services to individuals based on religious beliefs and sexuality.

That IS important.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The democratic party needs to just openly threaten that if the GOP asserts collusion isn't illegal or is not treated as illegal, they will just start petitioning for funds from Israel, Ukraine, Iran, and whoever else has an interest in a competent US foreign policy.

At least, they would need to do this if the GOP wouldn't take that as justification for their misdeeds.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that would be very illegal. Just because Trump does a crime and gets away with it doesn't mean Sessions will be equally nice to Democrats.

I am not saying they should actually do it. Just threaten it so the could rub the GOP's implications right in their faces.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

1stGear posted:

why the gently caress is Covok telling people to calm down. Did I fall through a wormhole did Hillary win in this timeline

What? No. Hillary didn't even win the primary. That was Jeb, remember? Are you feeling alright?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Hope all you want, as long as you stay angry or afraid and motivated.

Never let hopefulness or hopelessness justify inaction. That is when hope kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

Definitely not bots in the replies.

Does Twitter just not give a poo poo?

Twitter cares a lot, in fact. Bots help boost ad revenue by making it more difficult to gauge how many people actually use it.

• Locked thread