Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

An admin asked the OP to close the thread for some reason. So it's not his fault.

No puppet no puppet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fine print is just a statement that the U.S. rejects this current framework, but is "open to negotiating a new framework and a better deal."

I hate that we have allowed "better deal" to enter our political lexicon. What better deal? This already affects us the least and is necessary to stop mass death.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I mean, I hate to go along with Trump's own self-mythologizing, but Jackson sure loved to publicly display his grudges. Grant's fondness for the bottle and depressive tendencies might have led him to some dark nights with Twitter, too.

I know this is from ten pages ago but you don't have direct messaging- just FYI for everyone here Grant wasn't a drunk, and no subordinates back up the claim. It was a rumor spread by some higher ups in the beginning of the civil war to detract from what a better job he did than them winning battles, and then got tied into lost cause mythology.

E: if anyone would like to learn more, please read Mighty Scourge by McPherson.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

Are you saying the Animaniacs lied to me? :colbert:

Don't meet your heroes. Do you remember that short lived cartoon that was supposed to teach kids about history? Woof.

boner confessor posted:

grant was an alcoholic but he was largely functional and his drinking was mostly a response to being bored and away from his family. his drinking was totally exaggerated by unkind rumors and military politics but it wasn't a fabrication, he did have a drinking problem

You better go tell McPherson.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is this how democracies die? Famous people with no idea what they're doing realize they're popular enough to win anyway run and destroy every government institution?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Radish posted:

Serious question for people knowledgeable about history. Is there anything else in the world that has as many monuments to it as the Confederacy? It really seems like it has a disproportionate amount of memorials to anything else but that just might be my confirmation bias. I wouldn't be surprised if every town in China has like a Mao statue or something but outside of that?

Do statues depicting Greek Mythology count as monuments to Greek Mythology? If so, there's no way that doesn't win the prize.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Why is Trump Early Cuyler?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Trasson posted:

Technically not first lady as per the question.

Otherwise true.

Abigail Adams?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Needle and percentages still show Jones up for me.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Never forget 2017 gave us an edge of your seat thrill ride over the possible election of a pedophile.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's a wonderful life is a great example of the disconnect between American ideals and America in action.

"Money can't buy happiness! Living a good life for the poor is the path to true riches! Root for the everyman against the greedy real estate capitalist!"

"Let's make Potter president!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Are we pretending that the left won't boycott a product because of a tenuous connection to something we don't like

Boycotting up vs boycotting down?

• Locked thread