Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do we have cheap flights to russia yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, as a lax Catholic I have a hard and fast rule to other Catholics that you either admit all the bad Popes were chosen by God or all the good Popes were chosen by men. No cherry picking based on who you like or the conversation ends. Liberal Catholics laugh at that and we have a fun talk, conservative Catholics like to cherry pick.

Catholic theology doesn't really have popes really fully picked in a supernatural way. It's definitely a secular voting process.

The holy spirit is supposed to be present in the process and through "discernment" you are supposed to search your heart and vote the way the spirit tells you. But you can vote for anyone and there is no element that if people vote different they are seen as heretics or something. Like god is helping in the process and the picked pope is sort of seen as called by god for the role but it's not divinely appointed or anything exactly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I know, and its the usual "well, when the bad Pope was elected the men obviously ignored God's guidance" but the point is that its practically impossible for us to have any kind of debate if we can't establish some kind of standard on that. Either its a bunch of people choosing and they pray and hope they get some guidance but its still just them... which most Catholics agree with... or God whispers a name into their ears and chooses the Pope... which some hardcore conservative Catholics push on.

I mean this doesn't seem particular contradictory. God is rooting for some pick and might tell you if you listen but you might not listen and you are free to ignore it.

Like 99% of the bad things that happen in star wars is the force telling the jedi something and them letting their own feelings get in the way and getting it all hosed up. It's exactly that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

The problem comes when its then used to say "you can't question the choice of the Pope, he's divinely influenced." Well, what about all those bad popes? "They were chosen by bad men who made a mistake and ignored God's guidance." Well then how do you know these guys didn't screw up too? "Because God guides them."

For us to have any kind of debate on the Pope's divine providence or edicts we have to basically agree on a set of goal posts and can't just let it be open based on whether you agree or disagree with any given Pope or stance. I think Francis is a good guy and Benedict is an rear end in a top hat. I know Catholics who feel the opposite way. They'll argue that God guided the Cardinals to pick Benedict but not Francis. I'll say "the Cardinals choose both for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure at least some of them hoped they were doing God's will." The second one can get us somewhere, the first one can't. So I'm willing to say "fine, God influences all Papal choices" or "God influences none" but we can't pick and choose or we'll get nowhere.

And in general I have never and probably never will base any debate or anything on Star Wars. Sorry.

Catholicism is really pretty pragmatic. 99% of what the pope says is just stuff a guy who is the pope says. The divine stuff is extremely rare. Something like 10 statements ever in the whole history of the church have been pinned as "god said this", most of the pope's policies and stuff is just seen as a guy who is a good priest who is probably pretty smart saying it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really one of the fundamental problems with theological debates especially Christianity in general. So much of it just runs in circles until you get into "well God works in mysterious ways" types of answers. When you actually point out the logical conclusions of the arguments being made you just run into a wall of "nuh uh! God says I'm right so I'm right. Nyah."

Catholicism and Judaism seem like the the two religions that is very explicitly not the case for. Those two religions seem like the two where if you can think of a question there will be a very very specific official answer that is rock solid enough that if you can think of a way to do like minecraft exploits on it then those are counted as real too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

UberJew posted:

not so much with judaism, there's a very strong tradition of rationalism but an even stronger tradition of rationally coming to completely different conclusions (unlike catholicism being very my way or the highway)

one of the many old jokes you'll hear over and over from old folks at the synagogue is that if you ask ten rabbis a question you'll get eleven different answers

Eh, 11 answers but 11 ANSWERS, judaism is big into actually thinking through it's questions instead of brushing them off. There might not be a central body declaring one or another answer right but you are way more likely to get extremely well thought out totally supported diagrams to explain how something works exactly with a faith that you can work through the logic of the rules so exactly that things like sabbath mode on ovens that breaks the entire spirit of the idea of the rule is generally not just people ignoring inconvenient aspects of their religion like other religions have but totally exploiting a loophole in rules as written and enough faith that god meant what he wrote to actually accept you can do stuff like that. (or catholics eating rabbit fetuses because of a bunch of complex definitions of fish that ended up including fetuses)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

citybeatnik posted:

Capybara, beaver, and gator were the loopholes I was aware of, not the rabbit fetus one. But then eggs are fine during Lent and on Fridays so it makes sense.

But even the capybara and beaver stuff was basically the local archbishop going "fine fine yes this thing totally counts as a fish just don't starve your dumbass selves and try not to think too hard about it".

They are called laurices, and it wasn't a starvation thing like some of the others, it was just people looking at fetuses and saying "I guess it marks all the boxes we set for what is a fish, guess we can eat these" and the pope going "yeah, I guess so".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blitz7x posted:

I remember the same stupid rumors about W Bush coming out about alzheimers

"A republican with secret Alzheimer's" is not a far fetched thing that has never happened. There is a reason it's on people's list of "things republicans cover up"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Pope gave trump about climate change. LOL

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

i very much want to know what "baptist anime" is

superbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOzWF6drrqw

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Hyperion books by Dan Simmons are great SF until the last book turns into "install space Jesus, problem solved."

It started out as retelling of the Canterbury tales that totally went off the rails and stopped being that at all. It doesn't seem like you can say that book developed INTO being a religious thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just learned a few days ago that "boar taint" is a real thing and not just some stupid thing someone made up. If you let all your pigs go feral will all turn evil and have meat that smells of poop.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
2017 is pretty far left from 1960.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People's perception of the 60s is seriously clouded by the usual highlights. For example the Vietnam War was ridiculously popular for basically the entire decade, despite the high profile student protests.

I think people also treat "left" and "right" as static. A lot of people on the left in the 60s got all they wanted and more and are now boring centrists nervously eyeing far far more progressive teen "swjs" and getting a little sweaty about new ideas and wishing they could stick to their own new ideas that are now 50 years accepted.

Some people probably actually change opinion and get more conservative as they age. But you also can get more conservative just thinking the same thing forever till your youthful ideas are regressive attitudes from a generation ago.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There Bias Two posted:

More like a Panic Room that he can barricade himself in once the Feds try to drag him out of the WH.

I actually bet the white house has some panic room that can't be opened by from the outside. Since if there was intruders they could just doom II their way to stealing a keycard and getting in. It would be amazing if the trump administration just ended with him being impeached and locking himself in a room no one can get him to come out like the ending of mother 3.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nerdz posted:

I don't know if it's because of the current time, but all of these last few tweets with damning news have like zero trump supporters in them. It really feels like his online support is getting tired and dying down. it really is a lot easier to attack than to defend.

It seemed really obvious even at the time that "online communities" for trump were largely manufactured astroturfing. Both really astroturfing where like russian chat bots were literally spamming twitter. But also that weird internet age phenomenon where a small number of people can dominate a forum in an organized and outsized way by seeming like a lot of people in a way where they aren't paid by anyone so it's weird to call it astroturfing but it's also a manufactured fake thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

When r/The_Donald was first created, I remember thinking it was ironic. At what point did it become alt-right central?

I don't think there has ever been a single thing on the internet that considered itself "ironic" that wasn't basically just that actual thing past a day or two.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-a7758131.html

One of Donald Trump’s speech in Israel was cancelled over concerns that he would be heckled by members of Israel’s parliament.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah, exactly this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Trump refusing to visit that holy mountain site because he'd have to take a cable car instead of just landing his helicopter literally on top of it still has me reeling.

He needs to rub his clitoris against the mountain to find strength to continue on

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder on the morning of 2016-11-08 some of the good poo poo before the great corncobbing was redditors not knowing they needed to reg. to vote even though they were on the D-Train for months.

I am sure that happened to someone somewhere but that was pretty clearly a wacky gimmick joke thing when you saw those "too perfect" screen shots.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/868611037985222656
Yes yes yes fire a bunch of people. I don't think anything bad can happen to a bunch of newly unemployed disgruntled officials who know everything :allears:

quote:

The White House is seriously considering abandoning traditional White House press briefings as well.

"Trump does not find value in them anymore," a source close to the White House told CBS News. "While Spicer has high ratings, it's difficult to get the message out to the clutter and it's serving as a device to beat him up."

One consideration being thrown around is the possibility of Mr. Trump himself holding a press conference every two weeks and reducing Spicer's press briefings down to once or twice a week.

PLEASE :LET THIS HAPPEN

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RandomBlue posted:

No, because the end result will be him making an excuse not to be there every two weeks and we'd have no briefing.

Has there been a time in months that a spicer press thing has given any information of any sort to anyone? They exist solely for comedy at this point and there is no real difference if we lose them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like in theory a globalist would be someone who wasn't a nationalist but pretty much anyone that self describes as "a nationalist" happens to also be angry about Jews so the overlap is near 100%

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
History classes are going to be really weird in the future when they have to talk about the end of the cold war happening then a really short amount of time later (in history book chapter terms) the US impeaching a president because he is a russian plant. (it will be a bonus question only that there are two gulf wars started by two different george bushes though)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mustached Demon posted:

Commercial fusions only 20 years away!

It's weird how it only ever takes a single snappy quote to get the public to declare whole branches of scientific research fake and gay forever. Like pack it up scientists at iter, didn't you hear someone made a super catchy meme?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I'm the guy in the back eating the skin around his fingertips

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Isn't there an election thread that isn't this one?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Can't we go back to talking about trump or boars?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

empty whippet box posted:

They've actually done an unbelievably good job of outreach and messaging, it's just that their message is 'gently caress literally everybody except the very very very very very very very very very very very rich

I don't think that is even true. I think he's done a few things that might maybe help someone rich, but most of his stuff just seems not helpful at all in any general way to rich people. Like they just seem dumb ideas largely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ice Phisherman posted:

I look at this and see multiple failed states waiting to happen.

Everyone always posts it wrong but it's not meant to be a map of suggested states or future states or something, It's supposed to be a description of current america with the various cultural enclaves with generally common ancestors that migrated at roughly the same time for the same reasons.

It's not saying "these should be countries", it's saying "if you think of the US as this group of countries it's helpful" the people in the deep south did not move to the south at the same time as the people from northern parts of the thirteen colonies and didn't come from the same countries originally and did not move for the same reasons so it's trying to explain how they ended up having such a different worldview.

It's basically a map of "these ethnic groups moved here in a particular migration event"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like at least read the page before complaining about that map. It's literally just "who colonized this" and "when" not a suggestion of real workable countries or single culture.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is perfect. This is our stupid loving country in a nutshell. People voting themselves out of existence in order to spite someone or something. It's amazing.

It's a town that had a peak population of 500 people in 1920 and has shrunk to a population of 34. It's unfortunate the actual topic that did it was being mean to horses but come on, it's absolutely crazy for a town of 34 people to have a town government.

They are now governed by Thomas County, a county of 647 people.

This thread is getting oddly angry about what is pretty clearly a totally reasonable change in structure of local control. They aren't some weirdo savages that gave up new york city to be grown over by grass and eaten by wolves or something, they are a town with almost no people in it giving local control to the county seat, which google maps indicates is less than 15 miles away. woop de doo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Overwined posted:

While you raise a good point, I think it was the manner in which it was dissolved that has people (over)reacting.

Yeah, I guess, but the whole town was apparently reduced down to .13 square miles of land and was 10 families. It is absolute nonsense for a town that small to have an entire local town government. Like I get it's unfortunate it had to be about horse cruelty but pretty much the first time anything did anything that made anyone even notice that a town government was even still a thing someone was going to say "why do we even have this? just let the county manage us, the county seat is literally the next town over"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did we even talk about this one?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869166145894535169

What?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

This is so wrong though, the whole point of a bomb calorimeter is that it'll just burn anything that burns, you could put gasoline and wood chips and an old shirt in one and it'd find thousands of calories. The use of one is just one step in determining the food calories in something. You need to do other lab tests to figure out what in the food is actually food and what is indigestible material that just burns.

Like of course a high fiber muffin has a ton of "extra" calories, that is literally the definition of fiber.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

I like to read

I just read "the dying earth" and boy did D&D just steal everything from "the dying earth", like I knew that but until I read it, drat. Also this is on topic because we are living on the dying earth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robot Hobo posted:

Reports of Trump being "too articulate" feel exactly the same as the stories of Kim Kong Il playing his first game of golf and coming in 38 under par. They're bullshit on such a grand level that no sane person could ever believe it, but said completely straight-faced as if we are expected to... And somehow, some people will believe it because their minds have been broken

That never happened.

It was some Australian newspaper that made that up, taking some posted score card that was scored relative to par and counting it like it was absolute scores. The actual claimed score was like, good amateur level. Totally reasonable.

North korea is a huge propoganda state, but any time you hear any of the weird supernatural claims it's almost always just jokes and rumors and urban legends. None of that stuff was ever real or real propoganda, just western inventions of "these guys will believe ANYTHING about north korea!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Anime is just on tv now, there is no child that watches television that does not watch anime at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

In the event of a purge, we're even more screwed--who do you think has all the guns?

Is there any army on earth that has their soldiers using more than like 2 guns? Having like 10 guns doesn't seem like it makes anyone really that much more effective.

• Locked thread