Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Welp, no surprise to you all I'm sure, but I discovered that any side with 3 or more squad leaders with their poo poo together will usually steamroll the map. Having those spawn points consistently right near objectives helps soooo much.

Cu Chi is a bit difficult for VC SLs tho. Not many places to put down forward tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Welp, no surprise to you all I'm sure, but I discovered that any side with 3 or more squad leaders with their poo poo together will usually steamroll the map. Having those spawn points consistently right near objectives helps soooo much.

Cu Chi is a bit difficult for VC SLs tho. Not many places to put down forward tunnels.

was on a hue match tonight where my squad kept yelling at their marine SL for hanging back and letting people spawn, instead of running in and dying over and over

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ded posted:

An RPG better be able to murder the gently caress out of them.

apparently they're about as tough as a huey, hitting them with the noob toob will even blow them up

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'll usually try to get in close as SL but not too close.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I leave squads if they don't lay down the tunnel. Every time I play, it seems that I have to remind the squad leader that they need to lay down a tunnel. I hate running across half the map to get to the next objective.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hamlet442 posted:

I leave squads if they don't lay down the tunnel. Every time I play, it seems that I have to remind the squad leader that they need to lay down a tunnel. I hate running across half the map to get to the next objective.

It happens too often now that VC SL ignore tunnels. It is so frustrating because if enough of the VC squads refuse to build tunnels, the match gets incredibly lopsided real fast, the americans can run rampant and it will be impossible for the VC side to turn it around.

They need to include some sort of system for forcing tunnel placement in the next patch. After the initial spawn, squadmembers can right click the squadleader and choose a "request tunnel option". This would give a prompt to the SL, and a timer would start ticking. If no tunnel was forthcoming within 3 minutes, then the SL should be demoted and the requesting player become SL.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 14, 2017

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A horrible commander can lose a game, but I think games usually turn on SL's for both sides. I am often overly aggressive on spawn points when SL. I really like to get a US spawn on the point and have been finding places to do that on all the maps. I think for US it's good to play a class that has smoke as SL. I will often try tunnels in forward flank positions on the point on non heli maps. On heli maps I start with conservative tunnels, tunnels that cover LZ's or draw the attack choppers into anti air. I will often move the tunnel progressively.

On maps with heli's the dynamics change a lot because you have the heli's to spawn on and the anti tunnel war is much more aggressive. On those maps good pilots or good a team anti air with LMG, DShK and RPG's can turn the game. One thing I notice is that there are a lot of ammo dumps from which you can stage an assault or defense. This is useful for your rpg's, lmg's, grenadiers and maybe most for the smoke. Staging from an ammo point gives you at least 4 smokes. e.g. From the a site ammo on Hue (is that the city map?) as the US you can toss two smokes into the river, resupply and have two smokes to throw from the cover of your first two.

The whole anti air resupply thing also gives more tactical value to holding some points than others.

I like playing SL, but the other side of it is terrible, e.g. if you team has no anti-air and it's impossible to keep a tunnel up. That kind of thing. Painful. I also think people don't seem to understand that by fighting with your squad you reduce all sorts of nasty things like suppression effects.

I notice on most servers people don't really use the suppression mechanics or cover penetration. For instance, the map with the police building for A and the road before D and E? (Bad with the map names...) if you set up an LMG behind the police building prone and facing at an angle out toward C... you are near ammo and you can suppress the entire approach to C with out taking return fire. People seem reluctant to just light up straw huts, bushes... to shoot cover where you know they are likely to be. I get it that it reveals your position and all. Doesn't work well if alone, but with a squad it's great.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sogol posted:

I notice on most servers people don't really use the suppression mechanics or cover penetration. For instance, the map with the police building for A and the road before D and E? (Bad with the map names...) if you set up an LMG behind the police building prone and facing at an angle out toward C... you are near ammo and you can suppress the entire approach to C with out taking return fire. People seem reluctant to just light up straw huts, bushes... to shoot cover where you know they are likely to be. I get it that it reveals your position and all. Doesn't work well if alone, but with a squad it's great.

I get so much kills from spraying them hooches. Even the walls and floors of the cap-point buildings on Hue can be penetrated.
On that note, the flamethrowers work pretty much the same way they did in RS1, so you can "richochet" flames around corners and off trees etc to reach enemies in cover.

Also; Do Squadleaders still count as two people when capturing a point like they did in earlier RO games?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

GyverMac posted:

I know for a fact that if the majority of the VC squad leaders do not put down tunnels, you are guaranteed to loose. They need to include some sort of system for forcing tunnel placement in the next patch. After the initial spawn, squadmembers can right click the squadleader and choose a "request tunnel option". This would give a prompt to the SL, and a timer would start ticking. If no tunnel was forthcoming within 3 minutes, then the SL should be demoted and the requesting player become SL.

Cool idea. It probably needs to be longer sadly. There is a cooldown after your tunnel is sploded. You might also have to respawn and run. Finally, if you are promoted while alive you have no pick axe and cannot place a tunnel. Sometimes on a map with no anti air I am on my fourth tunnel or something and my squad thinks I have not been placing tunnels.

Last night I fell through the map next to our Squad tunnel. I was under it and could see it above me, but couldn't move. Trapped in the tunnel!! Buried alive! get me out get me out. Had to suicide.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
speaking of helo's, some pilots are getting insanely skilled at flying and dropping off in the craziest spots -- right in the middle of the action. It's pretty cool to see.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hamlet442 posted:

I would honestly rather be in my own squad and place a good tunnel for myself than a full squad with no/poo poo tunnel

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If SL was something you picked rather than something you randomly got the game would be much better. As it is now mindless pubbies with no awareness never notice they are the SL.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sogol posted:

Cool idea. It probably needs to be longer sadly. There is a cooldown after your tunnel is sploded. You might also have to respawn and run. Finally, if you are promoted while alive you have no pick axe and cannot place a tunnel. Sometimes on a map with no anti air I am on my fourth tunnel or something and my squad thinks I have not been placing tunnels.

Hm, yeah true a longer timer would probably be better. And the system should be able to give the person being promoted a pick axe upon promotion.

causticBeet posted:

I would honestly rather be in my own squad and place a good tunnel for myself than a full squad with no/poo poo tunnel

Fat chance if you are on a 64 player server and all the squad spots are taken...

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GyverMac posted:

I get so much kills from spraying them hooches. Even the walls and floors of the cap-point buildings on Hue can be penetrated.
On that note, the flamethrowers work pretty much the same way they did in RS1, so you can "richochet" flames around corners and off trees etc to reach enemies in cover.

Also; Do Squadleaders still count as two people when capturing a point like they did in earlier RO games?

from what I"m understanding they only push the cap at 2x, they don't actually count as 2 people (ie if it's just you and another dude, the cap won't move)

also upper limit on the cap of 6 people is stupid, especially in supremacy where you'll have 20 people loitering around the initial caps for a minute when they could be running around getting good positions instead :(

GyverMac posted:

Fat chance if you are on a 64 player server and all the squad spots are taken...

it seems unlikely that you're going to have 10 squads of 3 people each, all of whom are either refusing to dig or locking the squad. If they're that lazy they'll blob up in an existing squad rather than making their own.

10 squads of people having their tunnels regularly blown up by tryhard cobra pilots on the other hand...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hey guys there is a trap here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUjFqoIYyTQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

If SL was something you picked rather than something you randomly got the game would be much better. As it is now mindless pubbies with no awareness never notice they are the SL.
You can select it in the loadout screen, but to be SL and have people in the squad means grabbing it fast just as the map loads.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also the best way to cap it seems is to NOT rush the entire team into the point, but for the majority to attack along the flanks, denying the enemy team the ability to move into the cap.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's astounding the amount of places you can cap a point while still being in cover that are just inside the cap zone. Even more astounding are the amount of people who don't realize this and will charge well past where they need to and get in a dangerous spot and die instead of advancing the cap.

Been this way since the first Red Orchestra....

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's astounding the amount of places you can cap a point while still being in cover that are just inside the cap zone. Even more astounding are the amount of people who don't realize this and will charge well past where they need to and get in a dangerous spot and die instead of advancing the cap.

I'd prefer if the game was designed so people actually fought over/in the cap rather than the game turning into a black hole of everyone from both teams trying to hide in point throwing nades and not actually fighting, but alas...

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Almost like its a dumb map design philosophy...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can only cap a point if you have superior numbers than the opposing team, so just going up to the edge of the zone won't make a difference unless you kill the people inside.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, but I've had countless times where we outnumbered them at the edge.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The people defending inside the cap will get swarmed and die eventually. It's the defenders' reinforcements that are the main problem for the attacker. If you can get on the flanks and shoot the defenders as they run up, then it makes the job easier ... and really frustrating for them. When I'm the U.S. on Cu Chi (I think), there's a temple in the middle of rice paddies on the right after the first town. As squad leader I will run to the *right flank* of the temple and have my guys spawn there. Few VC go there as well.

Same reason why you want to generally put artillery and the like behind the cap.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 20, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Same reason why you want to generally put artillery and the like behind the cap.

This is one of the most important uses of artillery. Unless there is just a huge loving throng of defenders all concentrated on the point you almost always want to use artillery to cut off reinforcements and have your team wipe out the point and get a foothold for capture. A commander dropping support on the point itself is a litmus test that indicates that your commander is probably a moron.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You are all idiots because the obvious best use of artillery is directly on the point we're capping and, in fact, a little on our side.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You are all idiots because the obvious best use of artillery is directly on the point we're capping and, in fact, a little on our side.

I'm the commander yelling "Danger close!!!" after the first shells hit

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look, I'm not saying I haven't napalmed some of my own people in order to kill more of the bad guys. I did cap the point and won the match because of it. That takes timing and discipline, IMO. War is hell and they don't even let them write gently caress on their airplanes!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 20, 2017

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They need to lower the accuracy on support strikes. Most of the time you can be about 50-55m away and be fine. It should be much further.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As for artillery, I wish a modern FPS had Red Faction dynamic destruction.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ded posted:

They need to lower the accuracy on support strikes. Most of the time you can be about 50-55m away and be fine. It should be much further.

Their range is about 75 meters, and generally you want to drop them about twice that far away from friendly players because there's always people dumb enough to run directly into it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Is there a setting in some file somewhere to adjust the opacity of the map overlay? It would be nice for it to be semi-transparent so I at least have a chance of blasting a fool in the face while I'm looking at it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ4o2WrhiIc

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
SU-HueCity, TE-SongBe & TE-AnLaoValley have been released in the new ~1gb update.

Looks like Hue might be set in the evening as it is a bit darker and SongBe in the early morning.

1.02 is being worked on and includes:

Weapon Changes
  • Separate sensitivity slider for iron sights and sniper optics
  • Tactical view (default: T) no longer needs to be toggled back to ‘on’ after death
  • Reduced recoil of AK-47 weapons by around 25%
  • Increased suppression caused by machine guns by 33%
  • Reduced weapon sway on the SVD and Mosin sniper rifles
  • Reduced PPSH-41 drum ammo count from 71 to 65 rounds simulating underloading the drum for reliability.

Quality of Life
  • Added vehicle-specific keybinds to separate movement keys when playing as infantry vs pilots
  • Added decals to indicate to players exactly where fire damage will occur when napalm has hit, preventing ‘Invisible Napalm’ deaths - if these continue to persist, please continue to report them at our official support forums: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/
  • Added the ability to rotate claymores before planting
  • Added an icon to indicate when the player’s gun’s muzzle is blocked by cover when aiming over cover
  • The ambush/force deployment audio now only broadcasts to the commander, and players who spawn as a result of the ability
  • Tweaked the volume of footstep sounds to make them more audible
  • Added a toggle sprint option to settings
  • Many objects that were being culled out too soon, have been addressed

9 pages of patchnotes for 1.02 apprently, patch should be out in a few weeks.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

• Separate sensitivity slider for iron sights and sniper optics
  • Tactical view (default: T) no longer needs to be toggled back to ‘on’ after death
  • Reduced recoil of AK-47 weapons by around 25%
  • Increased suppression caused by machine guns by 33%
  • Reduced weapon sway on the SVD and Mosin sniper rifles
  • Reduced PPSH-41 drum ammo count from 71 to 65 rounds simulating underloading the drum for reliability.
I don't think a lack of suppression was the problem with the mgs
also I was wondering when they were going to underload the ppsh drum like the m16's.

quote:

Quality of Life
  • Added vehicle-specific keybinds to separate movement keys when playing as infantry vs pilots
  • Added decals to indicate to players exactly where fire damage will occur when napalm has hit, preventing ‘Invisible Napalm’ deaths - if these continue to persist, please continue to report them at our official support forums: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/
  • Added the ability to rotate claymores before planting
  • Added an icon to indicate when the player’s gun’s muzzle is blocked by cover when aiming over cover
  • The ambush/force deployment audio now only broadcasts to the commander, and players who spawn as a result of the ability
  • Tweaked the volume of footstep sounds to make them more audible
  • Added a toggle sprint option to settings
  • Many objects that were being culled out too soon, have been addressed

the object culling sounds like they're doing that item-by-item, rather than preventing this from happening in the first place

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

pnutz posted:

also I was wondering when they were going to underload the ppsh drum like the m16's.

the m16 isnt underloaded, 20-round magazines were the standard issue when the rifle was first released.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

the m16 isnt underloaded, 20-round magazines were the standard issue when the rifle was first released.

The M16 is underloaded to hold 18 rounds in a mag to simulate reliability problems with the 'disposable' magazine concept.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i remember counting the shots at one point, because it felt like it ran out of ammo too soon. thought i had counted 20, but i guess not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Pumped for the heli keybinding. I really want collective on W and S. Right now the rest of the control scheme feels pretty good but I basically need to constantly remind myself to not try to use w and s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1452827317622218334

AK feels pretty good now

• Locked thread