Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I just picked this up and it's alternatively amazing and incredibly frustrating. I'm sure most of it is not knowing the maps and playing against people who've been playing for months. There's nothing more satisfying than nailing someone you can barely see and the napalm and artillery strikes are loving intense as gently caress. But after becoming a savant in Battlefield 1 it hard to suck at a game again. I just need to put more time in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I bought this game off the strength of my previous experience in the series (Primarily RO1 Darkest Hour) and like 2 hours in RS1.

It's super frustrating until you learn the maps
a bit and where people are coming from. But this is one of the most satisfying shooters I've played in awhile. The napalm strikes are particularly atmospheric from either side.

After putting a zillion hours into bad company 2 I wanted to love BF1 and it's presentation is good but despite the graphical disadvantage RO2 has I feel more immersed in the fight going on.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 11, 2017

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
RS2 definitely feels more immersive, for better or worse. I love how viciously deadly gunfights are but sometimes I like not dying from someone I had no chance of seeing in an instant. I played RS1 quite a bit and enjoyed it but that's pretty much the last PC shooter I played so it's definitely difficult to get back into. But as soon as I got 4 kills in a matter of seconds with some quick shots I knew I would like this game. BF1 has some intense moments but nothing compares to the first time you get caught in an arty strike in RS2. One thing I'll give BF1 is it has insanely good audio but RS2 comes close. The sound of headshots is super satisfying. Unless I get headshotted then I kinda jump because it's loud as poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Some little secrets

If you wear a metal helmet sometimes you survive a headshot. If you don't you will always die to a headshot but instead of a loud clang you get a soft CRUNCH when your melon gets hit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The game is a lot better with competent squad leaders. Half the time people are automagically assigned as SL and dont do their job.

I suggest grabbing squad leader whenever possible, especially as VC/NVA so you can place a tunnel.

US leaders should hang back, dont rush in to fights, grab the M14 and be a spawn point for your squad ~20m back from the frontline and snipe.

Always be marking objectives to lead your squad, press B and look at an objective and left click to give it an attack/defend marker or right click for a call-in marker for your commander, which you should always have one, but talk to your commander if it needs to move or if it should stay until a cooldown on a callin is over.

Also, double xp this weekend because of the new patch.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

The game is a lot better with competent squad leaders. Half the time people are automagically assigned as SL and dont do their job.

it's a problem with the game when having fun is based on how much the SL wants to hide

also had a game of hamburger hill where US lost by almost 250 tickets, not even worth taking off in the choppers :negative:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

drunkill posted:

US leaders should hang back, dont rush in to fights, grab the M14 and be a spawn point for your squad ~20m back from the frontline and snipe.

This would be a lot easier if the members of your squad would actually push and not just sit in cover.

YOU HAVE A FLAMETHROWER, IT'S YOUR JOB TO GO IN THE BUNKER FIRST

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wish they gave smokes to more people than just pointmen. Would make assaulting points a lot easier.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Grenadier can use a load out that gives them smoke grenades for the grenade rifle, which is very useful on points that have a huge field before them case you can just smoke things from 200m away

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They also get a pellet grenade loadout aka a huge shotgun. :getin:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Live At Five! posted:

I just picked this up and it's alternatively amazing and incredibly frustrating. I'm sure most of it is not knowing the maps and playing against people who've been playing for months. There's nothing more satisfying than nailing someone you can barely see and the napalm and artillery strikes are loving intense as gently caress. But after becoming a savant in Battlefield 1 it hard to suck at a game again. I just need to put more time in the game.

if you've never played a red orchestra before it can be very frustrating because there's a super high skill floor before you can start running around like rambo

just stay with your squad, keep your head down, take it slow, and be extra careful not to shoot your teammates because this game won't hold your hand about who you should and should not shoot

find someone who seems to know what they are doing and follow them around, unless they're acting like rambo

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wish they gave smokes to more people than just pointmen. Would make assaulting points a lot easier.

this is why i almost always play radioman, at least i can poo poo smoke everywhere before i die

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Played Cu Chi as VC last night and hid out in the police station bathroom after the town fell to the US. Killed the gi commander five times via rifle-butt until he finally convinced a few teammates to hang back with him at the rooftop radio. lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
also, sniping as US from the top of the Cu Chi police station is completely ridiculous for >300 meter kill opportunites

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

also, sniping as US from the top of the Cu Chi police station is completely ridiculous for >300 meter kill opportunites

Kinda weird to call it sniping with a blooper.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

It's weird that the flamethrower has recoil when you shoot it, especially from the hip.

I had an interesting game on one of the beta maps (Song Be I think?). I was one of the attacking Vietnamese, and some guy on the US team was just completely slaughtering us with a flamethrower. It was ridiculous. He would just run around insta-killing everyone, bouncing the flames around corners and so on, and no one could touch him. The rest of his team was not really that good, it was just one guy holding us back. We still won the round by capping the points, but by the time it was over, he had over 40 kills and the guy in second had maybe less than 20. Then when the teams switched, he became the Vietnamese commander, and started running around slaughtering everyone with his SMG while calling in artillery on everyone, thus skyrocketing his kill count even further, so by the time it was over (they still lost again) he had nearly triple the kills of anyone else, with over 100.

I tried playing flamethrower myself on that second round to see if I could do even nearly as well, and of course I couldn't. That was my first time with the flamethrower though and I still killed more people than I died (I killed 27 people I think). It's hilarious when you just spray into the bushes at random and then hear screaming from like 2 or 3 people.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
You gotta remember that thing isn't just spewing magic fire out the front, it's like a firehose spraying out a combustible liquid.

Flamethrower is a lot of fun but it can be hard to be effective with until you figure out the ranges and how it reacts with terrain and buildings and poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The proper use of a flamethrower is to provide covering fire onto your squad as they attempt to advance through your commander's artillery.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Arti coming down behind the point, please rush directly into it!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Quite A Tool posted:

You gotta remember that thing isn't just spewing magic fire out the front, it's like a firehose spraying out a combustible liquid.

Well I've seen a WW2 flamethrower being used in person. I saw him squirt the liquid out without igniting it at first, and it didn't seem anything like a firehose. I don't know much about flamethrowers though and I've never fired one so I'm just guessing as to what it would feel like. It was just a little jarring to see such a difference in recoil between the ADS and the hipshooting in-game. Flamethrowers also sound much quieter than they usually do in movies and games, and they don't explode when you shoot them either (they don't explode in this game do they? At least I don't think I've seen it). Most of the weapons in this game seem very realistic though, having fired a Mosin and an SKS before.

I suppose it would be easy enough to remember to just pull the mouse down a little when spraying the flamethrower.

turn off the TV posted:

The proper use of a flamethrower is to provide covering fire onto your squad as they attempt to advance through your commander's artillery.

The best way is to spray through your teammates whenever an enemy pops up.

edit: Playing with the guns in the practice range, the flamethrower seems to have about as much if not a little bit more recoil than firing an AK-47 at fully automatic. Seems a bit much honestly.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 12, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Would-be commanders, remember to call down arty between your team and the objective so that we can't reach it. Also, don't let not having a mike stop you from being commander. Arty should be a surprise for everyone!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Played Cu Chi as VC last night and hid out in the police station bathroom after the town fell to the US. Killed the gi commander five times via rifle-butt until he finally convinced a few teammates to hang back with him at the rooftop radio. lmao

Just did this myself and it was funny. I bashed the commander in the back of the head while he was on the radio, killed a bunch of guys with my SKS from the rooftop, then killed a bunch more when they tried to come up to stop me. Eventually I died in a hail of M60 fire on top of the toilet in that bathroom. :v:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Kenzie posted:

I tried playing flamethrower myself on that second round to see if I could do even nearly as well, and of course I couldn't. That was my first time with the flamethrower though and I still killed more people than I died (I killed 27 people I think). It's hilarious when you just spray into the bushes at random and then hear screaming from like 2 or 3 people.

there's a couple of maps where the maps are completely bushes and they require use of the flamer to get anywhere.

like this but with multiple kills every time he pulls the trigger :supaburn:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
how do we petition the game developers to include this vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pRihxvk4YY

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

how do we petition the game developers to include this vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pRihxvk4YY

we'll have enough trouble getting them to implement the normal metal bawkses

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
so...I'm not seeing any double-xp thing going on?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

check the xp awarded at the end of the round and compare to your actual score

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pnutz posted:

check the xp awarded at the end of the round and compare to your actual score

I'm saying that I should be seeing 600-800 per 2-round match and I'm not. Just the usual.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just played Tay Nihn Province map, the last point is a long way over rice fields, as the attacking americans the commander organised a bayonette charge under the cover of smoke just as the enemy tickets ran out. Was pretty fun, managed to pistolwhip one person.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm not either

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Double XP started yesterday (Monday) and will continue to the 17th.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

The double XP is reflected in the stats page on the main menu, it doesn't show up as you earn it in game.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two new pistols being teased by AMG (the devs) in the discord chat for the game.

M-1917 revolver

and a Makarov, presumably both for Northern factions.

I wonder what other weapons will be added to the game.

For the ANZACs they only really need to make the SLR (FAL/L1A1) as the main weapon, either an Owen or F1 submachinegun (or even a Sterling) and a Browning Hi-Power pistol. The SAS used an M-14 with a scope for a sniper rifle. You'd basically have the faction covered for weapons then without much work; a few more could be added in to round it out. Hopefully that update comes out before Christmas otherwise the game might be dead by then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_weaponry_of_the_Australian_Army#Vietnam_War_1962.E2.80.9372

Edit: Silenced MX21 sniper was added to the trello board, so that is a third 'new' weapon too.
https://trello.com/b/pTmp5jlk/rising-storm-2-vietnam-roadmap

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 18, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

For the ANZACs they only really need to make the SLR (FAL/L1A1) as the main weapon, either an Owen or F1 submachinegun (or even a Sterling) and a Browning Hi-Power pistol

if we're lucky they'll only take a few months like the t-70 and panzer 3 :p

the makarov finally getting in is nice. The silenced m21 makes me think it'll have battlefield ballistics with the subsonic ammo though. like trying to snipe someone with the 1911 or the grease gun

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

pnutz posted:

if we're lucky they'll only take a few months like the t-70 and panzer 3 :p

AMG isn't quite TWI.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Xm177e2 please

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pnutz posted:

The silenced m21 makes me think it'll have battlefield ballistics with the subsonic ammo though. like trying to snipe someone with the 1911 or the grease gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTY4xMMvys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lrIpALqzto

What's your point?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Free weekend and double XP for the weekend.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1453955548934848093

Quite a lot of changes. Some of the them are quite nice.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

Free weekend and double XP for the weekend.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1453955548934848093

Quite a lot of changes. Some of the them are quite nice.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I agree that the changes look good and I'm looking forward to a new crop of GIs stepping on my toe-poppers this weekend (the sapper class is my jam).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
New patch is good. The new render system seems pretty nice.

And best of all black gi's now sound like black gi's again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Hearing about the patch got me to play this again for the first time in weeks. I have to say the game has improved a lot since launch. The guns all felt great, the sound design has always been awesome, I think it looks better, and I even played a skirmish version of hue city I didn't know existed now. It was a lot of fun.

If anybody has been waiting to jump back in now is a good time I think.

• Locked thread