Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Revolver good.

Quite a delay between clicking and it shooting though so you have to have good aim.

Without looking at the stats it seems very powerful in the 0-10m range. I got the one bullet 2 kills achivement using it while attacking E on cuchi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Was playing CuChi last night as a GI and we kicked off the round with a commander who insisted everyone go left around the police station and enter it from the rear -- he swore this tactic would work.

We captured A within a minute of the start of the round. It was pretty amazing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Aussies are coming

ANZAC content update teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX74m-xsOM

Battle of Long Tan map from the looks of it: raining and in a rubber plantation.

Bushranger huey too, noice. FAL & Owen gun spotted.

Obligatory 'Redgum - I was only 19' video: https://youtu.be/Urtiyp-G6jY

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 2, 2017

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Was playing CuChi last night as a GI and we kicked off the round with a commander who insisted everyone go left around the police station and enter it from the rear -- he swore this tactic would work.

We captured A within a minute of the start of the round. It was pretty amazing.

How long did it take you to capture the rest of the map? Enveloping a position takes quite a bit of time and coordination. I've seen this strategy used, and against a decent opponent they can clamp down on the flanks fairly quickly with good tunnel placement. With ChuChi I find an initial rush straight into A will often lead to its capture, make sure to bring your nades and smoke.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why are videos and articles of the Anzac patch disappearing?

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm...=0&ns_fee=0

Or the videos from youtube?

:tinfoil:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

My favorite way to attack A on Cu Chi is to immediately go way around on the right flank. I go toward the elevated road, through the storm drain tunnel under the road that links the two rice paddies together, then circle around and head into the back door of the building on the left. While running around back there, I've had VC players run right past me without even noticing me, since they don't expect a GI to be back there, especially right at the start of a round. This will give you a view toward the rear of the police station, and you can shoot lots of VC reinforcements as they run by.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Also probably one of the big things I don't like about this game is the sound it makes when you get shot in the head. Just because it's so goddamn loud and always scares the poo poo out of me every time it happens. Unless I turn the sound way down, but I hate doing that because this game has great sounds otherwise, and turning the sound up is important to hear enemy footsteps. It's just incredibly annoying.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The headshot sounds are good. On both ends.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 3, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Vahakyla posted:

Why are videos and articles of the Anzac patch disappearing?

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm...=0&ns_fee=0

Or the videos from youtube?

:tinfoil:
PC Gamer hosed up and released it early. The rising storm devs had a panel at PAX today and the trailer was 'revealed' there, so it is back up now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX74m-xsOM

New Guns:
L1A1 SLR
L2A1 AR
Owen SMG
F1 SMG
Browning Hi-Power Pistol

New Helicopter:
UH-1H 'Bushranger' gunship
- Huey armed with twin-fixed forward-firing miniguns, x2 7-round rocket pods

New Maps:
Long Tan
Rung Sac
ANZAC

Commander Support:
English Electric Canberra Bomber strike

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm-2-anzac-update-will-add-new-guns-new-maps-and-a-new-chopper/

quote:

ANZAC adds a new faction, the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (hence the update's temporary name), and with it a pile of new weapons, three new maps, and one new chopper.

The new weapons are the L1A1 SLR, a "derivative of the FN FAL, firing 7.62mm NATO," the L2A1 AR, "a full auto version of the L1A1," the Owen SMG, the F1 SMG, and the Browning Hi-Power. Taking to the air will be the Bushranger, both a term for an escaped convict during Britain's colonization of Australia and the nickname for the The Royal Australian Air Force's Huey gunships.

The three new maps are Long Tan, Rung Sac, and ANZAC, and Tripwire and Antimatter are hoping to include Territories and Supremacy versions for all of them. Based on the historical details, Long Tan should see Australian infantry from the country's Nui Dat base attacking and pushing back the PLAF, which was set up east of the base across a rubber plantation. Rung Sat refers to a heavily forested wetland that is today known as Cần Giờ Mangrove Forest. ANZAC is well, just named ANZAC for now, but I'm told it'll get a proper name at later time.

The ANZAC troops will have their own uniforms, customization options, and voices, and will also bring a new Commander ability with them: the Canberra bomber strike, which refers to Australian bombers based on the English Electric Canberra design (the American-built version was called the Martin B-57 Canberra).

Edit: PAX panel slides

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Jehde posted:

The headshot sounds are good. On both ends.

It was cool at first but the longer I play it, the more I get annoyed by it. It's cool to hear a ding when you shoot the other guy though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The really cool thing is when you hear the ding but they don't die because the helmet actually worked.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

ganglysumbia posted:

How long did it take you to capture the rest of the map? Enveloping a position takes quite a bit of time and coordination. I've seen this strategy used, and against a decent opponent they can clamp down on the flanks fairly quickly with good tunnel placement. With ChuChi I find an initial rush straight into A will often lead to its capture, make sure to bring your nades and smoke.

I don't think we ever got B & C, lol. The commander was a major rear end in a top hat and encouraged teammates to shoot those who didn't immediately follow his instructions to move somewhere.

I played as commander for the first time this weekend and it was pretty fun. I'm not very good at the tactics, but I can manage the arty well enough to fill in when no one wants to take the role.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

See that tree my gun is pointing at and the line of rocks it's sitting on, running diagonally from lower left to upper right? I...uh...don't think I'm supposed to be able to get past that barrier to where I am in the screenshot -- the playing area is beyond the line of rocks. Obviously it's a sniper's paradise back there. Is this common knowledge?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
They've listed an "Owen SMG" and an "F1 SMG", but it's the same gun, it's called an Owen F1 SMG, lol.

e] Nope, I'm a dumbass, the Owen is like it's predecessor or something.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 4, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The owen is two bits of metal bolted together with a spring or two inside.

It was the AK47 of SMGs (despite being older) and was ultra reliable, outperforming basically every other SMG the Allies had. Excellent at jungle warfare (doesn't jam) the Americans ordered like 10,000 of them and was considering replacing the Thompson once it was made in the same caliber. The war ended that though.

It only cost $30 in manufacturing and parts. A gang in Australia made a few silenced replicas a decade ago because it was so simple to make and they were super reliable.

I mean, the 24 year old creator designed and built it in his shed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Gun

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 4, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

I tried doing that with the revolver like what you did with the 1911. I hit my target, but I stood around waiting for the shot to arrive and got killed :doh:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1501246458753720516

wakey wakey, go onto the community test branch and complain about how all the australian content is under/overpowered and they still haven't fixed the gunplay

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

looking forward to playing ANZACs tonight. Not looking forward to the ping from NZ to the test server in Atlanta.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
using the miniguns on the dakka huey is much easier than on the cobra, the shots go where your reticle points to so as long as the pilot doesn't spin around in circles or keep rolling the thing like mad you can clean up good. This is very important as the pilot only has access to the 2 rocket pods, so his job is to get the copilot and the side gunners where they need to go. Also door gunners get dual m60s for rerolls on misses a more reasonable amount of dakka

SLR recoil's a bit much compared to other 7.62 nato weapons ie the m14

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Owen looks hilarious and the F1 has Bizarre sights but I couldn't say how effective they are because there was hardly anyone playing. Op forrest looks like a sniper's paradise and it takes forever to get anywhere, Long Tan might be fun running into people in the murk if the rain effects aren't too annoying. Running into bunkers in the middle of the map is a bit weird, the actual battle was pretty much all imporvised positions.

Oh, and the brim on the entry level J-hat should be shorter. The short brim ones look good though.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xJD6QOqhU

they must have gotten the VAs organised while the strike was still on

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah the voices sound like they just let some fans do the lines. Anyway the update is out sometime today

Trailer: https://youtu.be/kg7ZkKilkE0

3 new maps, bunch of new weapons, new character customisations.

Changelog: http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1470852079248555581

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014
Is there any reason to use the grease gun now that pointmen are getting CAR-15 carbines?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

long tan kinda sucks while rung sac is fun. im not really seeing a use for the owen when reliability doesnt matter and neither of the two maps i played had anything resembling tunnels

side note: as unlikely as it is, id really like for them to add the ROK

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Davincie posted:

long tan kinda sucks while rung sac is fun. im not really seeing a use for the owen when reliability doesnt matter and neither of the two maps i played had anything resembling tunnels

side note: as unlikely as it is, id really like for them to add the ROK

Personally I thought the Owen has much better sights than the F1 so I found it more comfortable to use. Recoil also seemed lighter thanks to the foregrip. Really the only benefit I see of the F1 is the bayonet

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

xXWehrabooXx posted:

Is there any reason to use the grease gun now that pointmen are getting CAR-15 carbines?

Army pointmen are getting carbines, if you're playing marines eg Hue you'll still be plinking away with the grease gun

they also made the L1A1 sound good, though the mg version sounds off when firing auto now

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

To celebrate Australians and exam season, can we change the thread title to "I love the smell of NAPLAN in the morning"?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The Australian voices are awfully bad and I love it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the owens smg is real good. rock solid stability and the iron sites are surprisingly unobtrusive. you'd think the big rear end magazine sticking out the top would ruin your peripheral vision but it doesn't. got 50 kills with it on the non-night time territory map.

probably my favorite new gun.

e: people doing fake australian accents is much more bearable than people doing fake vietnamese accents.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 1, 2017

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pnutz posted:

I tried doing that with the revolver like what you did with the 1911. I hit my target, but I stood around waiting for the shot to arrive and got killed :doh:

Late response but lol, I make those shots pretty frequently now. There's always someone in that pillbox and I know how high up to aim, just wait for the muzzle flash aim up and shoot. Plus I always have the 1911 at that point because I'll use the Trench Gun on that map every time, at least for the first set of points and the second point.

As for the new gun, as someone who has used the Grease Gun a shitload (pretty sure it's still my second most kill weapon, highest still being Trench Gun), the XM177E1 is actually kind of iffy at close range and long range. It's not very stable on full auto, nothing like the M16, and it feels a little off when plinking at longer range. I honestly still prefer the Grease Gun at close-med range. The extra 10 rounds in the magazine and ability to collapse the stock also helps it a lot in my experience.

I also have no clue what the idea behind collapsing the XM177 stock is, you still use the irons and standard ADS and it's just way more unstable. I think they should've just made it use the Grease Gun/Mat49/SawedOff/Stakeout style aiming once you collapse it. Maybe you can get closer to a wall without aiming the weapon down or something? Either way you can get 50m kills with the collapsed stock on the Grease Gun and Mat-49 pretty easily if you know where to put the enemy on your screen to hit, I guess the most useful thing about the XM177 collapsed stock is if you're in close range the jumpy recoil while it's collapsed might help you get a spraying hit on target but I mean the fact you're still just using the irons/standard ADS kind of negates any benefit.

Edit: Also I think I like the F1 better than the Owen, feels way more controllable on full auto even though it shoots way slower, and I get way more 50m+ kills with bursting it or single tapping than I do with the Owen even though it's select fire. The sights just look weird as hell on the F1, lol.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 3, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dvsilverwing posted:

I also have no clue what the idea behind collapsing the XM177 stock is, you still use the irons and standard ADS and it's just way more unstable.

the purpose of pushing the stock in was so you get a better picture through the sights, at the expense of the gun taking up screen space like we're playing halo. I'm fairly sure it also slightly reduces the collision distance too.

also f1 sights are much better full auto than tapping, but I've never had much of a problem hosing people down with the owen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Rung Sac is a gorgeous, atmospheric map but man it chugs even on my 1070. Might be that GeForce Experience got reinstalled so I should delete that again.

• Locked thread