Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

GyverMac posted:

Yeah? Well share your secret spot then!

okay...here's an easy one on Hue City (VC side)

When C (citadel walls) is being challenged by the Marines, prone in the planter just outside of the last-stand, final objective, and shoot through the two circle-entrances and down the road. Dial scope to 200m. Shots will be ~215m and since the draw distance is hosed, marines will appear silhouetted against a white backdrop. Waist-high walls will not be drawn, so aim for upper torso. Opponents are unable to see you unless they have a scope. Until E & F both fall, the bridge remains a marine spawn point and they'll run straight towards you after they spawn, so shoot all day and when you're out of ammo, run to the nearby ammo dump; reload and repeat.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

okay...here's an easy one on Hue City (VC side)

When C (citadel walls) is being challenged by the Marines, prone in the planter just outside of the last-stand, final objective, and shoot through the two circle-entrances and down the road. Dial scope to 200m. Shots will be ~215m and since the draw distance is hosed, marines will appear silhouetted against a white backdrop. Waist-high walls will not be drawn, so aim for upper torso. Opponents are unable to see you unless they have a scope. Until E & F both fall, the bridge remains a marine spawn point and they'll run straight towards you after they spawn, so shoot all day and when you're out of ammo, run to the nearby ammo dump; reload and repeat.

People do that all the time with AK and regular mossin too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I've tried it a bunch of times with an sks and I can only score a hit once every twenty shots or so with those iron sights. It's a friggin tough shot that far out without a scope.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I've tried it a bunch of times with an sks and I can only score a hit once every twenty shots or so with those iron sights. It's a friggin tough shot that far out without a scope.

Whenever I've been shooting through there I just get as close as I can. It's really difficult for the Americans to return fire down any of those roads so you don't need to be that far back.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I will check out the mumble sometime. I have been playing a lot and enjoying it. The game hits a good place between things like Squad and a lot of the twitchy-flythroughtheair-raygun shooters of late. There are some frustrating things like overpen, weird hitboxes and whatever, but I am finding it a really enjoyable tactical-ish shooter.

One spot for getting the snipe achievement is on Hue as VC. If you go all the way to the VC end of the bridge street you can get 220m+ shots. (Hah! I was writing this as you posted... without the fancy pictures.)

I prefer playing Point or Sapper. Mosin when it's an available option. The shotguns are amazing, but I have been mostly using the smg's. With the stock folded the Grease Gun is amazing. MAT 49 less so, but still fun. Of course PPSH is amazing.

Set up beyond the point with cover in the direction of enemy redeployment. As they redeploy they are so focused on the point that they don't check the close angles. My favorite version of this is the APC on the bridge on Hue as a VC when C is being assaulted, but many points have similar spots. You can usually shoot down into the river without being detected. If you wait squads will eventually start running across the bridge. They are so focused on the tower they don't see you. It usually takes about 3 respawns for them to locate you. You can often safely reload under the tower and return. For extra fun pick up an m16 since the sound of your weapon will often alert them of your position. Don't forget to go prone and shoot them in the feet when they are stacking behind the APC. I have taken out and entire squad this way.

Anyway, enjoying the game. Will check out the mumble channel at some point.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Something is definately up with this game now. I keep getting insta smoked when i go around corners etc. Even when playing as flamer i shoot first but the enemy always win? Anybody else notice some weird issues like this lately?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^ That's a Tripwire thing. In most of their games you can see your gun fire but their netcode says you actually died before firing. It's loving infuriating.

I've tried that spot a few times but the fact that obstacles don't render means I've wasted dozens of magazines shooting at marines that are fully covered.

For gently caress's sake, you'd think that in a game about combat at range they'd ensure poo poo would draw in at range.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ That's a Tripwire thing. In most of their games you can see your gun fire but their netcode says you actually died before firing. It's loving infuriating.

LOL I can't tell you how many times I've blasted a dude in the loving face only to die with the shot I took still echoing in my headphones.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For gently caress's sake, you'd think that in a game about combat at range they'd ensure poo poo would draw in at range.

it was better way back in the first beta rounds but then had horrible frame hanging issues, particularly when switching to ironsights.

having to wait seconds to shoot a guy 5m in front of you made the game unplayable for anyone with bad hardware :(

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Opposite of real life, I love using the M16 and loathe the AK in this game.

The M16 is just fun to use in full-auto like how I've seen it used in We Were Soldiers, where every aperture or bush gets a burst when assaulting. I've gotten so many kills in that manner and it usually makes heads duck down. Conversely, I use the AK in semi most of the time and switch to auto when entering confined spaces. Doesn't do as well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This the first game where the M16 Iron Sights aren't poo poo.

The Grease Gun on the other hand.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The AK seems wildly inaccurate beyond 20 feet, it might as well be fixed semi auto.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One of the most satisfying things to do in these games is to bayonet a commander in the back when he's at the radio.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

One of the most satisfying things to do in these games is to bayonet a commander in the back when he's at the radio.

lol...and then because dumbasses don't forgive arty TKs, the commander doesn't respawn for a long time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Nuking the commander on top of A on cu chi with the RPG is pretty drat satisfying.

Especially when you do it over and over again.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Tab8715 posted:

This the first game where the M16 Iron Sights aren't poo poo.

The Grease Gun on the other hand.

Don't use the stock. Fold it. It is still very accurate once you figure out how to use the weird shape you now have as a sight. It is usually one or two hits to be lethal. It is good at any ranges around the point and if you spot someone at greater distance you can unfold the stock for a few. It is really great close quarters because the sight comes up so quickly with the stock folded. The MAT49 with folded stock is also pretty good. The thing about the grease gun though is the controllable recoil. MAT49 has a faster rof, but kicks a lot. He foldable AK is all over the place and mostly unusable. The short shotguns are fun, but no real advantage. The Grease Gun just kick out slower, lethal shots on the target.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The trick to the AK is to aim below what you're shooting and start shaking your mouse so you spread bullets everywhere

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought the AK always fired in a sort of 'S' shaped pattern.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With the AK I either burst about 4-5 shots at a time which are usually accurate enough or I sweep at people and pray. It works out well enough.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
m14 needs to have its fully auto mode tbh

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
What is needed is the ability store Gun options beyond fire mode. I have died many times folding the stock on spawn.

And Claymores... soooo broken.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
How exactly are they broken?

Other than people can walk over them and push them so they are facing the ground.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
They glitch out a lot. Won't detonate. Look like they are facing another direction. Won't deploy or get bugged in deploy. Additionally all the VC traps stay active if you die. If you plant clays and die... which happens a lot because it's not easy to plant them... then they still show up on your tactical map, but can not be detonated. You also have to be almost right on top of them to detonate them. Range seems pretty random. And what you said. They could be a lot of fun in defending points against counter attack and I try to use them that way a lot. They don't work well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've had luck with claymores and satchels by placing them at a key entrance to a point and then taking cover with my weapon out. Added benefit if I'm the squad leader so I'm hiding anyway. Proceed to shoot normally and then switch to the remote trigger if enemies start crowding near the explosives. Usually takes knowing the maps and where the enemy is likely to come. There is a bridge on B in AnLao Valley where I've vaporized some VC. If the fight for the point is over, pick up the explosives and move on.

Also throwing satchels into AA pits is fun.

One thing I haven't tried with claymores, but want to try, is instead of placing them side by side, placing them one in front of the other but spaced apart 20 feet or so. And maybe slightly offset.

Like:
code:
~*enemies over here~*

^

^

~*me down here*~

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 11, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
By satchels you mean the C4 no? Or are there satchels in the game? I remember them being available in RS1.
Apparently the C4 can be thrown quite far, great on hue to throw over walls and into second story buildings.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, that's almost exactly how I use clays. If you make sure its set up right you can use the G key to detonate the Clay while you are holding your weapon. Just need to make sure you aren't going to dramatically pull forth a smoke grenade and brandish it at your now firing foe.

On Hue, for example, the A side door next to the ammo is a great spot. A clay placed there facing out will also take them off the drain pipe. The room with the hole in the wall behind the B site is also great since people will post up at that corner. There are a few places with chokes n various maps, but I think the main use is defending a point from being taken back.

E: I have set them up facing, staggered, etc. Facing or staggered you can close off most of the jungle lanes from B to D on An Lao I think. I often die while trying. Or end up just going click with no boom. Fine. I am bad. I admit it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

ded posted:

Can't understand why you don't just move to discord.

You're part of the problem.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GyverMac posted:

By satchels you mean the C4 no? Or are there satchels in the game? I remember them being available in RS1.
Apparently the C4 can be thrown quite far, great on hue to throw over walls and into second story buildings.
Yeah C4. I'm still thinking in RS1/RO terms.

Sogol posted:

Yeh, that's almost exactly how I use clays. If you make sure its set up right you can use the G key to detonate the Clay while you are holding your weapon. Just need to make sure you aren't going to dramatically pull forth a smoke grenade and brandish it at your now firing foe.

On Hue, for example, the A side door next to the ammo is a great spot. A clay placed there facing out will also take them off the drain pipe. The room with the hole in the wall behind the B site is also great since people will post up at that corner. There are a few places with chokes n various maps, but I think the main use is defending a point from being taken back.

E: I have set them up facing, staggered, etc. Facing or staggered you can close off most of the jungle lanes from B to D on An Lao I think. I often die while trying. Or end up just going click with no boom. Fine. I am bad. I admit it.
Nice. I totally forgot about the G key...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone has made the M113 APC drivable with a usable .50cal for fan maps. Someone else is working on an interior model for it so it can become a transport. Only problem is no animated treads unless the devs (re)enable a feature ingame for them to work.

Someone is also working on modelling a river patrol boat.

Should be some fun custom maps in 2-3 months. Both of those could fulfill the role of Hueys for ground and river maps.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
A brown water navy map would be awesome.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drunkill posted:

Should be some fun custom maps in 2-3 months. Both of those could fulfill the role of Hueys for ground and river maps.

There are already some pretty decent custom maps up on certain servers. I played a few rounds each on three maps the other day that were all enjoyable enough, even if the maps still seem unfinished. There probably would already be some polished maps, but for some reason the concept of blocking out levels hasn't quite caught on in the RO/RS community.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, and I'm a piece of poo poo for feeling this.. but I want more unlockables.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Totally dropped napalm on last cap in Hill, barbecuing practically the entire enemy team right before my team rushed in and took it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I was laying down covering fire with my M-60 on the south of C on Hui City when two I got two kills and two achievements - Apparently the "Tripwire interactive" achievement doesn't care which side you are on - I must have hit a tripwire with a stray bullet and triggered it, taking out two guys in the trenches next to it!

The second achievement was for killing an enemy with their own tripwire.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

I was laying down covering fire with my M-60 on the south of C on Hui City when two I got two kills and two achievements - Apparently the "Tripwire interactive" achievement doesn't care which side you are on - I must have hit a tripwire with a stray bullet and triggered it, taking out two guys in the trenches next to it!

The second achievement was for killing an enemy with their own tripwire.

I did it to someone who was laying down on their own tripwire in a bush :cool:

also someone made a m113 on the workshop, so they have land vehicle code even if the thing can't carry any troops and doesn't have an m2 on the turret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08ciSfO_Aw

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Honestly, and I'm a piece of poo poo for feeling this.. but I want more unlockables.

I want trucker hats and cigarettes, joints, pipes, whatever. I wanna shoot a cosmetic smoke out of someone's mouth.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pnutz posted:

I did it to someone who was laying down on their own tripwire in a bush :cool:

also someone made a m113 on the workshop, so they have land vehicle code even if the thing can't carry any troops and doesn't have an m2 on the turret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08ciSfO_Aw

An RPG better be able to murder the gently caress out of them.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Played on a server just now with 35-40 people. The game became really intense and people were able to flank and do all sorts of tactics that you cant do with 64 meatheads crowding the server and bullets spraying everywhere. I dont know why people have such a hardon for 64 player servers, it is just a frustrating slaughterhouse most of the time.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GyverMac posted:

Played on a server just now with 35-40 people. The game became really intense and people were able to flank and do all sorts of tactics that you cant do with 64 meatheads crowding the server and bullets spraying everywhere. I dont know why people have such a hardon for 64 player servers, it is just a frustrating slaughterhouse most of the time.

People think more players equals more fun for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Even when the custom maps aren't finished or have flaws, it's way more fun to me than playing the same old territories maps over and over.

• Locked thread