Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo. I know this game brings out the Asian accent racism and it's borderline unplayable if you leave the voice chat on, but tonight my entire loving team decided to pretend to be Southern plantation owners, complete with all the racism and words that would entail.

Did you at least record it? That sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY DEAD GAY FORUM
Jun 3, 2014

Hornet posted:

Did you at least record it? That sounds hilarious.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's VERY realistic (at least compared to Battlefield) so be prepared to die very fast, very often, and with little idea of where you got shot from.

Holy. loving. poo poo. I know this game brings out the Asian accent racism and it's borderline unplayable if you leave the voice chat on, but tonight my entire loving team decided to pretend to be Southern plantation owners, complete with all the racism and words that would entail.

Turning off voice chat makes you miss out on a good commander though, and that's when this game really shines. I just try and stick to the servers which have a no racism policy and actively kick/ban for that behaviour.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
You can also mute individual players, both voice and text. Just make sure you remember the name of who you want to mute, though, the menu has players split by team, and not in alphabetical order.

It's great for silencing that one chucklefuck that keeps talking over the actually competent TL.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
One of my favorite moments from the beta was defending the factory and being able to just blast through the brick walls with an AK and hit dudes who thought it was good enough cover on the other side, it's great.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Turning off voice chat makes you miss out on a good commander though, and that's when this game really shines. I just try and stick to the servers which have a no racism policy and actively kick/ban for that behaviour.

Our commander was the one leading it all... :negative:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

soy posted:

just remembered this game was a thing and got it today, this loving owns.

if you are a good and want play come my discord https://discord.gg/GHvtWfM

I will be in the voice chat, if there is already a central one let me know and I'll come there. I'd search more but I'm the MG and I'm playing atm.

Jump in the mumble, yell at Battlefield and Rainbow 6 goons if they're not in the RS2 channel, good chance any of the two groups will play if they're not in something already.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Man after playing squad and PR, I'm spoilt when it comes to voice chat. RS2 is silent like a tomb in comparison. Seems nobody dares to speak up in this game. Any EU goons playing this game?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
if not gyver you can try joining us in mumble, we have a few eurogoons and we tend to stick to just east coast servers for their considerations. the voice is hit or miss. you can get really good SL's and commanders that work cohesively, a bunch of racist remarks and terrible accents, or silence. i've had more luck with good SL/commander combo more often than not, though

e: the goon group is also pretty good at running mobile commander + radioman. the best commanders are ones that move around and not just jerk it in the back.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 2, 2017

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Get in on the Grease Gun action, TBH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTY4xMMvys

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This game suffers from terrible design decisions. Markers on friendly targets are disabled by default which is dumb. I also I hate having to open my map constantly to see where my team is and where they died. I wish the developers would put in a minimap and stop pretending this is a milsim and not a twitch shooter.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSOVtBluYkM

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm a little confused about when I can and can't spawn in with a pistol. Is it only if you're playing a non-rifle class? So far I've only played as a grunt (and I don't trust myself to try much of anything else) and a bit of combat engineer on the US side. Not having a pistol made me real antsy about going into the tunnels on Hill 937.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
AFAIK Grunts/Guerrillas/Riflemen/whatever they call the default for your side don't get them unless they are squad leader, which any class can be by just being first to join the squad / be promoted by current SL

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm a little confused about when I can and can't spawn in with a pistol. Is it only if you're playing a non-rifle class? So far I've only played as a grunt (and I don't trust myself to try much of anything else) and a bit of combat engineer on the US side. Not having a pistol made me real antsy about going into the tunnels on Hill 937.

You've got a bayonet, you'll be fine

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
i want to do nothing but fly the huey now i had some amazing loving drops :supaburn:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

You must earn your pistol by hunting a sniper, either friendly or enemy, and taking it as a war trophy.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mercrom posted:

This game suffers from terrible design decisions. Markers on friendly targets are disabled by default which is dumb. I also I hate having to open my map constantly to see where my team is and where they died. I wish the developers would put in a minimap and stop pretending this is a milsim and not a twitch shooter.

They're good decisions actually.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

They're good decisions actually.

Can you explain? If it's supposed to encourage voice communication it sure as hell isn't working.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mercrom posted:

Can you explain? If it's supposed to encourage voice communication it sure as hell isn't working.

It's so you have to choose to either study your map or keep fighting. The lack of markers is so you have to identify your target before you shoot or risk killing friendlies. It ratchets up the tension when you don't have perfect information.

Sure there was a friendly holding the approach to your left ten seconds ago, is he still there? Did he survive that vicious burst of gunfire? gently caress was that flash of movement him retreating or an enemy advancing?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
There are markers you just have to enable them. All the other realism features are opt-in.

And yeah sure a lack of teamwork can be a feature if you want it to be. It helps when you run and gun behind enemy lines which you should because there is no real penalty to sprinting constantly.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

UnknownMercenary posted:

please don't be shy of trying anything. just pick a class, anything really. you'll have a blast, and the only times you might be voted out of a role is of commander or a pilot of some sort. do it all, every round try something new. you'll find the ones you enjoy more than anything that way, even if the m16 is baller as heck.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Is there a toggle to stop sprinting whiling ADSing because holy poo poo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Knobb Manwich posted:

Is there a toggle to stop sprinting whiling ADSing because holy poo poo

Do you mean zooming while sprinting? Cos if so yeah that's a bug. Rebinding the button, even to itself will temporarily fix it. I think completely resetting the controls and relaunching the game got it to permanently go for me, or at least it hasn't returned in a while now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Banano posted:

deltah is bidding attacked

old post but i really enjoyed this.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was stoked that there would be no more neonazis since we weren't in the WW2 setting anymore, but yeah I switched out one evil for another it seems.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 3, 2017

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Can't get into a skirmish game this morning because they're just full of people grinding.

Someone actually told me if you don't want to grind don't play skirmish :confused:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mega Comrade posted:

Do you mean zooming while sprinting? Cos if so yeah that's a bug. Rebinding the button, even to itself will temporarily fix it. I think completely resetting the controls and relaunching the game got it to permanently go for me, or at least it hasn't returned in a while now.

No I mean aiming down the sight, holding left shift to steady the gun, then trying to inch forward and instead you drop the gun and sprint.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mega Comrade posted:

IIRC there's a checkbox to turn it off in the settings.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This is an ace loving game.

Not only is is a great and fun game but you can either literally machine-gun communists or rat-gently caress imperialists with punjee spikes and an AK-47 as suits your preference.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 3, 2017

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pro tip, change the default rate of fire to single shot in the options!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Pro tip, change the default rate of fire to single shot in the options!

I actually started having a lot more success in most places with auto, especially on the M16 which is just eminently controllable in full auto. Still single shot for long range, of course.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mercrom posted:

You should know where the lines are and hold them. Lone wolfing isn't going to help the team. Both sides have different animations so that's a big cue as to who is friendly and who isn't. It's not a milsim but it is aiming for a more immersive and realistic game than say battlefield

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

hakimashou posted:

This is an ace loving game.

Not only is is a great and fun game but you can either literally machine-gun communists or rat-gently caress imperialists with punjee spikes and an AK-47 as suits your preference.

Have you gotten a good tripwire kill yet?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

This game gets much much better when you have a commander that's actually commanding his team, instead of sitting in the back playing a lovely RTS. I had a match of Hue City with a commander that was ordering squads around and calling out artillery strikes and stuff, and holy poo poo that's the way this game is supposed to be played. Actually playing as squads, timing your assaults with the artillery, and coordinating the team's movements in even the most basic of ways.

Wish I could land a helicopter for poo poo, though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jeremor posted:

This game gets much much better when you have a commander that's actually commanding his team, instead of sitting in the back playing a lovely RTS. I had a match of Hue City with a commander that was ordering squads around and calling out artillery strikes and stuff, and holy poo poo that's the way this game is supposed to be played. Actually playing as squads, timing your assaults with the artillery, and coordinating the team's movements in even the most basic of ways.

Wish I could land a helicopter for poo poo, though.

I'm glad that people yell at incompetent and/or mic-less commanders to gtfo.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm not the greatest at this game but it's amazing how bad some people are, like it's so easy to win as the US when squad leaders push forward and then stay in cover so their squad can spawn right on the objective. Sometimes popping out to throw smoke or mark targets but otherwise fulfilling their role as a mobile spawn point rather then rushing into MG fire constantly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love the helicopters in this game, so fun to zip around picking guys off who wander into open rice paddys. I've gotten real good at staying under 75m as well since it's almost instant death above.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Popete posted:

I love the helicopters in this game, so fun to zip around picking guys off who wander into open rice paddys. I've gotten real good at staying under 75m as well since it's almost instant death above.

Just wait until people realize they can literally just shoot you with any weapon and do damage.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Just wait until people realize they can literally just shoot you with any weapon and do damage.

Yeah it's surprisingly easy to take down a chopper with just an AK. That's why you gotta be flying at full speed and make wide arching turns so you never slow down over the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I like how in the Loach when you don't have a human copilot you can still take over when the pilot gets shot. Although this becomes awkward when the Cobra pilot gets shot and you're the gunner.

• Locked thread