Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Man this game looks weird. In some places its almost phospohorus white and others, its pretty much pitch black. And whats the deal with the small engagement ranges here? On compound you spawn like just across the objective of each other, leading to some confusing and unfun chaos fights where sheer luck decides if you live or die within 5 seconds....

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not quite sure if you are sassing me or what, but all I'm saying is that compound map (I think it was called that) was like call of duty size. Neither team could get past the first objective so I didn't get to see the rest of the map though.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Commoners posted:

That and the blatant racism are pretty terrible.

Racism? Are people yelling "gook" and stuff in chat?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Man after playing squad and PR, I'm spoilt when it comes to voice chat. RS2 is silent like a tomb in comparison. Seems nobody dares to speak up in this game. Any EU goons playing this game?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Had a weird bug just now. I was going to customize my character during a round, and the menus disappeared and i was stuck in a free roaming camera mode for the rest of the round. When the round ended, my game crashed. Luckily the round was almost over by the time this happened.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If you aint talking jive speak like this dude right here in the voice chat you are playing the game wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Z6bju7DeE

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Knobb Manwich posted:

you can shoot through closets

Yeah bullet penetration is a thing and I love it! I dont remember wich point it is on HUE, but its one of the first points. The one to the left if you spawn as a VC. It got an office building in the first floor, with wooden partitions for the cubicles. The yanks were capping, and i climb in the back window with my RPD, quickly hit prone and just let loose through the cubicles in ankle height, killing three enemies in one go. I do believe the 7.62 caliber weapons can also penetrate the walls of brick/concrete buildings if you are close and the walls are not too thick. I swear I have gotten a few kills just by spraying with my AK inside buildings.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Regarding bullet penetration; On Hue city M16 bullets can go through the walls of the building at A, B and D among others. Use this to your advantage especially when capping D. VC players like to stand on the second floor opposite of the staircase, so if you go in the entrance to the right, spray some bullets right up through the roof above you and you are almost guaranteed a kill. Did that the other day several times and was called a filthy wallhacker. Also I was a friend of the family apparently.

Punji traps or rather, traps in general is the shiznit.

Also, Anybody actually seen a trap when playing as a pointman? Sometimes when playing pointman, my character bark out some audio cues about there being traps on the ground, but I never actually see any traps.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 11, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pesticide20 posted:

A night time airfield defense would be a pretty cool map.

Also I think something to do with Operation Junction City would be pretty cool, but that's probably just because I was in the 173rd.

Oh god. No night time maps please. Its hard enough to spot people as it is. :ohdear:

Also, I've noticed that I can hide a lot better when I customized my character to be as dark as possible. The NLA got an all black clothing option, with a black helmet, after picking that I noticed that I get the drop on enemy players more often if I'm moving in shrubbery and dark areas. Same with the Americans, no rolled up sleeves, and the camo striped boonie is the best option for sneaky business.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well, there was several friendly fire incidents in that battle so this is historically true at least!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

soy posted:

I have played a lot of hours (around level 30 now) and I have never once had anything useful said on VOIP. Sometimes commander asks for a thing here or there but if you've played a lot it's really obvious where marks need to be and you don't need to talk about this.

I'm hoping to get my friends to play so we can coordinate but that'd be discord...

I just drown out the peoples dumbass voices with my vietnam playlist so it's just kinda background noise anyways.

That sucks. This game really shines when the team is communicating properly. I'm guessing you play on US servers?

People don't talk to much on the euro servers, but when they do its mostly tactical. I like playing with a commander that informs us about his intentions and players who call out enemy movements or locations etc.

As a commander, I appreciate SLs who listen to me or at least give me some feedback on what they need and when they need it. I usually ask politely for marks and suggest a course of action for certain squads every now and then.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 20, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Buschmaki posted:

Whenever people are racist I'm just gonna start insulting white people like a blaxploitation hero. I've had enough of honky-tonk crackers ruining games for me.

drat, that is infuriating. You should try the euro servers, I've played this game for 26 hours and never ran into any voice chat racists. There was one fucker who spouted a bunch of racist poo poo in the chat. I did my old RO trick; First an obvious teamkill to get them riled up, and then pretend to attack them, shoot them in the leg with a pistol etc to get them to TK you in turn. Act all butthurt in chat, let them gloat, then do the same again until they TK you enough to get kicked the gently caress out of the server.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 20, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I got the achievement for killing an enemy with an aircraft i shot down just now. I have no idea how! I guess that one time i shot my buckshot loaded baikal at a passing cobra in impotent rage was enough?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

haha

I'm trying to figure out why the game lets you adjust your scopes for shots out to 800m. I've been sniping a lot lately and the farthest shot I've been able to make is around 250m and I don't think there's any map that has a useful shooting spot past 300m from any point.

Also, the game engine starts going wonky past 225m and won't draw certain objects, so looking through your scope, you might see a dude that looks like he's standing out in the open, but you won't be able to hit him because he's actually behind an invisible wall (that wasn't drawn). This is especially bad on Chu Chi.

Finally got the White feather achievement (Over 250 metres kill with the xm21 sniper) on An Lao. I had to stand down beyond E, and I took out some guy standing in the bunker at the top of C. Thats the only place in the game I figure you have any need for plus 300 on your scope.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Is there any incentive to use the WP grenade over other grenades? It seems to have the same effective damage radius as regular grenades. And theres no lingering burning effect, so you cant use as an area denial weapon either. I guess the only incentive is that it explodes on impact, and gives charlie no time to didi out.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tekopo posted:

Hue + Flamethrower is a fun combo. Apart from when you need to cross the river.

Wading through the waters with that thing is suicide. Go underground instead! Look for the sewer entrance behind B, its by the ammo box. Then use the tunnels. Be sure to squirt some flames every now and then in front of you to destroy any toe poppers there. HTH!

Also, god drat the LMGS are in a really weird place right now. Setting up and trying to suppress only gets you killed near instantly. If by some weird chance you manage to set up and not instantly die, the barrel heats up and the gun is useless for what feels like several minutes because of the heat warping effect. So you just have to drag that thing around and use it as an assault rifle. That works fine with the degtarev and might work for the RPD, but M60? Not so much.

I think the reason you die so quickly when setting up LMGs is that it is really easy to see where shots are coming from now. The weapons produce a lot of smoke for each shot. It is fine for the assault rifles and smg's but they should tone down the smoke from the LMGS. It looks like a bushfire whenever you start firing those things and everybody can see you from a mile away.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 7, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I got personal best of 53 kills as sniper on a Cu Chi round today. Not super amazing or anything, but it's kinda fun finding secret spots to shoot from.

Yeah? Well share your secret spot then!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Something is definately up with this game now. I keep getting insta smoked when i go around corners etc. Even when playing as flamer i shoot first but the enemy always win? Anybody else notice some weird issues like this lately?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
By satchels you mean the C4 no? Or are there satchels in the game? I remember them being available in RS1.
Apparently the C4 can be thrown quite far, great on hue to throw over walls and into second story buildings.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Played on a server just now with 35-40 people. The game became really intense and people were able to flank and do all sorts of tactics that you cant do with 64 meatheads crowding the server and bullets spraying everywhere. I dont know why people have such a hardon for 64 player servers, it is just a frustrating slaughterhouse most of the time.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hamlet442 posted:

I leave squads if they don't lay down the tunnel. Every time I play, it seems that I have to remind the squad leader that they need to lay down a tunnel. I hate running across half the map to get to the next objective.

It happens too often now that VC SL ignore tunnels. It is so frustrating because if enough of the VC squads refuse to build tunnels, the match gets incredibly lopsided real fast, the americans can run rampant and it will be impossible for the VC side to turn it around.

They need to include some sort of system for forcing tunnel placement in the next patch. After the initial spawn, squadmembers can right click the squadleader and choose a "request tunnel option". This would give a prompt to the SL, and a timer would start ticking. If no tunnel was forthcoming within 3 minutes, then the SL should be demoted and the requesting player become SL.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 14, 2017

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sogol posted:

I notice on most servers people don't really use the suppression mechanics or cover penetration. For instance, the map with the police building for A and the road before D and E? (Bad with the map names...) if you set up an LMG behind the police building prone and facing at an angle out toward C... you are near ammo and you can suppress the entire approach to C with out taking return fire. People seem reluctant to just light up straw huts, bushes... to shoot cover where you know they are likely to be. I get it that it reveals your position and all. Doesn't work well if alone, but with a squad it's great.

I get so much kills from spraying them hooches. Even the walls and floors of the cap-point buildings on Hue can be penetrated.
On that note, the flamethrowers work pretty much the same way they did in RS1, so you can "richochet" flames around corners and off trees etc to reach enemies in cover.

Also; Do Squadleaders still count as two people when capturing a point like they did in earlier RO games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sogol posted:

Cool idea. It probably needs to be longer sadly. There is a cooldown after your tunnel is sploded. You might also have to respawn and run. Finally, if you are promoted while alive you have no pick axe and cannot place a tunnel. Sometimes on a map with no anti air I am on my fourth tunnel or something and my squad thinks I have not been placing tunnels.

Hm, yeah true a longer timer would probably be better. And the system should be able to give the person being promoted a pick axe upon promotion.

causticBeet posted:

I would honestly rather be in my own squad and place a good tunnel for myself than a full squad with no/poo poo tunnel

Fat chance if you are on a 64 player server and all the squad spots are taken...

• Locked thread