Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The biggest problem I saw in the open beta is that really bad chopper pilots in supremacy will have a huge part in losing the fights for the US side. The Vietnamese just need an okay squad leader who remembers to dig his hole, but if the US gets transport pilots that don't know how to land they will have up to six players wobbling around in the air for minutes at a time. The bad pilots take so much time landing (and have a high chance of killing everyone they're carrying through various means) that the US would be better off just having their players walk, and those walking guys would reach the objective a minute or two before the bad chopper pilot would.

The loach and the cobra are completely necessary to busting tunnels too. If you have a good pair of loach and cobra pilots you can keep the VC from backcapping points or even mounting a good offensive, but bad ones will spend the whole game crashing, getting shot down by SAMs, and generally will maybe achieve one kill throughout the entire play period.

Game is otherwise pretty well balanced despite being asymmetrical, it's just that when you have garbage babies in important roles that don't reach the skill floor for basic functionality you end up with huge team disparities. Having 12/32 players being kidnapped by transport pilots and spending 2-3 minutes out of the fight sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Dvsilverwing posted:

Honestly the strongest use for transports that I saw was being dropped off at a middle/back point when the enemy had you almost all-capped in order to force them to fall back to the point or stop gaining points due to a broken link, as well as to combat/recapture against the same tactic.

Yeah, but no matter how they're used if you have guys stuck in a helicopter for 2-3 minutes because of bad pilots then you're going to be getting hosed up.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

That and the blatant racism are pretty terrible.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Racism? Are people yelling "gook" and stuff in chat?

Yup, on top of the usual stuff.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

The ones that get me are the 'thunk' headshot ones. Made me jump several times now.

I like when it sounds like 10 bullets penetrating my head at once.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

One time as a chopper pilot I crashed and got the YOU DIED black screen, but it never went away. I managed to find myself into the transport chopper and flew my troopers into a cliff while yelling "I CAN"T SEE poo poo SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE LZ IS"

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

One of the most powerful helicopter uses on An Lao Valley that I've seen is just smashing it into the jungle behind point A with a few squad leaders. Once you dig into A it is super difficult to root out the squad leaders before they just dump even more soldiers from the void of space into the area you just cleared, and by the time you clear them out another chopper is smashing into the trees with a fresh load to reinforce them.

Yardbomb posted:

Just chiming in to say that the flamethrower fuckin owns. Send a gout of flame into some tunnels, down trenches or in a doorway/window, wait for screams, collect kills.

On the rubber farm map on point E, the rocket site, try getting a flamethrower into the ammo room. It has a few windows and doorways you can shoot out of and contest about 60% of the point, and because you have an ammo box you can just hold down fire and constantly shoot flames everywhere. You'll shoot so much fire that your audio will break. Just start screaming like you're lit on fire so your teammates know that a fire demon has been unleashed on point E and they should hold back.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 6, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah if you're on a point and there is a section of it that doesn't have your team and they're capping, just start spraying down the wall that goes into that part. You're extremely likely to net a pile of kills from dudes wiggling around in crouch who don't expect for bullets to come through the walls.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I think I played song be for the first time today.

e: any tips on using the flamethrower?

Pretty much always have your map open. If you see a gap in the line on the map shoot flames into it and you'll probably be burning people (that aren't yours).

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 15, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

automaticswim posted:

really tired of pubbies trying to votekick me because i'm doing good

Don't worry I was running the counter PR campaigns by sniping the votekickers from 500m with sick chat lines.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I've played with Japanese dudes in games like Blackwake before and they were super enthusiastic and fun to play with. One of them just never stopped yelling while ramming the ship into the enemy ships.

In that gundam game we had a Japanese guy in our guild and the only english he would ever type was "I'm gay"

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Action Jackson went on to kill the rest of your team after his sick combat roll off the building.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

US commander honestly should be getting a huge amount of kills if he is making good decisions.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

There is a dedicated, 60 tick server running only this map.

We train young men to drop hot caramel on people, but their patisseries won't allow them to write "FUDGE" on their airplanes because it's obscene

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Song Be is such a lovely map. There's no where to land that's safe and if the RPG enemies are even half good there's basically no relatively safe area. At least An Loa Valley is bigger so they can't cover everything.

You have to have guys roving in the woods near your potential LZs to clear them out. Most people just clump up uselessly in the points and have no map control against the tunnels all over the loving place, so the hueys just get hosed by the Vietnamese since they have no security for landing.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I feel as if Chi Cu or whatever it is, is by far the map of in the game.

Being a competent squad leader or having one is also amazing. It's like have your own personal army at your disposal

It does seem as if the the VC get the rough end of the stick with just tunnels.

Tunnels mean they have more men available for the fight, and that if the americans don't take actual map control they can be impossible to get out of an area once they've dug in.

It makes a big difference when your players who are (hopefully) more experienced and generally making good decisions as squad leaders can also stick their necks out and make risky plays without penalty. The normal squad spawning system means that your squad leader has to have the game knowledge that will let him make good decisions to be able to push forward, but that's one less person that you have with that knowledge who can be using it to actually be making progress and clearing enemies out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Same reason why you want to generally put artillery and the like behind the cap.

This is one of the most important uses of artillery. Unless there is just a huge loving throng of defenders all concentrated on the point you almost always want to use artillery to cut off reinforcements and have your team wipe out the point and get a foothold for capture. A commander dropping support on the point itself is a litmus test that indicates that your commander is probably a moron.

• Locked thread