Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh, here's the thread for it. Game owns, I've had a lot of fun since the last two betas.

Hopefully it has sold well and they're working on the extra content: The Aussies.

Get some L1A1s (FN FAL) and F1 or Owen SMGs and maybe a browing for a pistol or even a bren for a machinegun variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hotfix is out.

Fixes a few crash issues and lets the game properly use ram if you have over 6gb. Should fix any stuttering you have ingame.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone has remade Ia Drang
http://imgur.com/a/kLcYb

Looks good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The game does own.

I've been dabbling in map creation, the SDK likes to crash because the game is running on UDK3 not 4 and it has some other issues but it isn't too difficult thanks to some tutorials around the place. I've got a plan and design but I'm still laying out the terrain and getting the sizing of things correct. Initially the map was way too large, like 2km long but it is now 1km from end to end with a playing area about 800m long, which is about the length of CuChi, although mine will have helicopters.

Also doing something different in that it is the Southern (US) team defending against the North. Although if they do add in Aussies it'll be thematically appropriate given it is loosely based off a real engagement and location.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some servers have it set to the custom map downloads via the steam workshop, which is a great idea considering the maps are already there and when there is an updated version of the map you'll download it when steam starts anyway. I think the devs might be pushing that as the default option in a patch. Frees up all the server bandwidth on mapchange.

I've alt-tabbed while joining a custom map and saw steam grabbing it, seemed a lot quicker than joining a custom map server last week. The problem is a lot of maps are huge in size, I think CuChi is nearly 1gb in map files, so custom maps are between 250-700 depending how big and detailed they are, so the workshop download is required really.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah white phosphorous nades are great in trenches and doorways, people try to run and they just catch on fire while you shotgun the survivors.

Edit: A hotfix just came out

quote:

We are expecting to push a required update for clients and servers tomorrow. It will contain the following:

Major Update (Widespread Crash)
We’ve addressed a crash that occurred anytime a player selected the machine gunner class. Whether a player selected the machine gunner class at the beginning of a match, partway through a match or near the very end of a match, players could crash upon server travel (map conclusion)

SDK
The SDK will no longer crash when using the Lightmass (Swarm) option

Next patch will have more QoL improvements and apparently they'll beta the other gamemode versions of some of the maps soon via the workshop while they're being worked on before release in the next proper patch.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 6, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah I think one or two maps hosed things up and set temp to 60c instead of 20-30c.

Saw it mentioned somewhere and they will fix it soon.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Its more that how the game works cooldown is half a degree (celcius) every second, but because on one or two maps the temprature is set at ~60c the gun never returns fully to its cold state or if it does it takes even longer to cool below the map temperature.

But yeah, overheating is a bit silly sure.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone has made the M113 APC drivable with a usable .50cal for fan maps. Someone else is working on an interior model for it so it can become a transport. Only problem is no animated treads unless the devs (re)enable a feature ingame for them to work.

Someone is also working on modelling a river patrol boat.

Should be some fun custom maps in 2-3 months. Both of those could fulfill the role of Hueys for ground and river maps.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
SU-HueCity, TE-SongBe & TE-AnLaoValley have been released in the new ~1gb update.

Looks like Hue might be set in the evening as it is a bit darker and SongBe in the early morning.

1.02 is being worked on and includes:

Weapon Changes
  • Separate sensitivity slider for iron sights and sniper optics
  • Tactical view (default: T) no longer needs to be toggled back to ‘on’ after death
  • Reduced recoil of AK-47 weapons by around 25%
  • Increased suppression caused by machine guns by 33%
  • Reduced weapon sway on the SVD and Mosin sniper rifles
  • Reduced PPSH-41 drum ammo count from 71 to 65 rounds simulating underloading the drum for reliability.

Quality of Life
  • Added vehicle-specific keybinds to separate movement keys when playing as infantry vs pilots
  • Added decals to indicate to players exactly where fire damage will occur when napalm has hit, preventing ‘Invisible Napalm’ deaths - if these continue to persist, please continue to report them at our official support forums: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/
  • Added the ability to rotate claymores before planting
  • Added an icon to indicate when the player’s gun’s muzzle is blocked by cover when aiming over cover
  • The ambush/force deployment audio now only broadcasts to the commander, and players who spawn as a result of the ability
  • Tweaked the volume of footstep sounds to make them more audible
  • Added a toggle sprint option to settings
  • Many objects that were being culled out too soon, have been addressed

9 pages of patchnotes for 1.02 apprently, patch should be out in a few weeks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The game is a lot better with competent squad leaders. Half the time people are automagically assigned as SL and dont do their job.

I suggest grabbing squad leader whenever possible, especially as VC/NVA so you can place a tunnel.

US leaders should hang back, dont rush in to fights, grab the M14 and be a spawn point for your squad ~20m back from the frontline and snipe.

Always be marking objectives to lead your squad, press B and look at an objective and left click to give it an attack/defend marker or right click for a call-in marker for your commander, which you should always have one, but talk to your commander if it needs to move or if it should stay until a cooldown on a callin is over.

Also, double xp this weekend because of the new patch.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They also get a pellet grenade loadout aka a huge shotgun. :getin:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just played Tay Nihn Province map, the last point is a long way over rice fields, as the attacking americans the commander organised a bayonette charge under the cover of smoke just as the enemy tickets ran out. Was pretty fun, managed to pistolwhip one person.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two new pistols being teased by AMG (the devs) in the discord chat for the game.

M-1917 revolver

and a Makarov, presumably both for Northern factions.

I wonder what other weapons will be added to the game.

For the ANZACs they only really need to make the SLR (FAL/L1A1) as the main weapon, either an Owen or F1 submachinegun (or even a Sterling) and a Browning Hi-Power pistol. The SAS used an M-14 with a scope for a sniper rifle. You'd basically have the faction covered for weapons then without much work; a few more could be added in to round it out. Hopefully that update comes out before Christmas otherwise the game might be dead by then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_weaponry_of_the_Australian_Army#Vietnam_War_1962.E2.80.9372

Edit: Silenced MX21 sniper was added to the trello board, so that is a third 'new' weapon too.
https://trello.com/b/pTmp5jlk/rising-storm-2-vietnam-roadmap

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 18, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Revolver good.

Quite a delay between clicking and it shooting though so you have to have good aim.

Without looking at the stats it seems very powerful in the 0-10m range. I got the one bullet 2 kills achivement using it while attacking E on cuchi.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Aussies are coming

ANZAC content update teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX74m-xsOM

Battle of Long Tan map from the looks of it: raining and in a rubber plantation.

Bushranger huey too, noice. FAL & Owen gun spotted.

Obligatory 'Redgum - I was only 19' video: https://youtu.be/Urtiyp-G6jY

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 2, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Vahakyla posted:

Why are videos and articles of the Anzac patch disappearing?

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm...=0&ns_fee=0

Or the videos from youtube?

:tinfoil:
PC Gamer hosed up and released it early. The rising storm devs had a panel at PAX today and the trailer was 'revealed' there, so it is back up now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX74m-xsOM

New Guns:
L1A1 SLR
L2A1 AR
Owen SMG
F1 SMG
Browning Hi-Power Pistol

New Helicopter:
UH-1H 'Bushranger' gunship
- Huey armed with twin-fixed forward-firing miniguns, x2 7-round rocket pods

New Maps:
Long Tan
Rung Sac
ANZAC

Commander Support:
English Electric Canberra Bomber strike

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm-2-anzac-update-will-add-new-guns-new-maps-and-a-new-chopper/

quote:

ANZAC adds a new faction, the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (hence the update's temporary name), and with it a pile of new weapons, three new maps, and one new chopper.

The new weapons are the L1A1 SLR, a "derivative of the FN FAL, firing 7.62mm NATO," the L2A1 AR, "a full auto version of the L1A1," the Owen SMG, the F1 SMG, and the Browning Hi-Power. Taking to the air will be the Bushranger, both a term for an escaped convict during Britain's colonization of Australia and the nickname for the The Royal Australian Air Force's Huey gunships.

The three new maps are Long Tan, Rung Sac, and ANZAC, and Tripwire and Antimatter are hoping to include Territories and Supremacy versions for all of them. Based on the historical details, Long Tan should see Australian infantry from the country's Nui Dat base attacking and pushing back the PLAF, which was set up east of the base across a rubber plantation. Rung Sat refers to a heavily forested wetland that is today known as Cần Giờ Mangrove Forest. ANZAC is well, just named ANZAC for now, but I'm told it'll get a proper name at later time.

The ANZAC troops will have their own uniforms, customization options, and voices, and will also bring a new Commander ability with them: the Canberra bomber strike, which refers to Australian bombers based on the English Electric Canberra design (the American-built version was called the Martin B-57 Canberra).

Edit: PAX panel slides

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 3, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The owen is two bits of metal bolted together with a spring or two inside.

It was the AK47 of SMGs (despite being older) and was ultra reliable, outperforming basically every other SMG the Allies had. Excellent at jungle warfare (doesn't jam) the Americans ordered like 10,000 of them and was considering replacing the Thompson once it was made in the same caliber. The war ended that though.

It only cost $30 in manufacturing and parts. A gang in Australia made a few silenced replicas a decade ago because it was so simple to make and they were super reliable.

I mean, the 24 year old creator designed and built it in his shed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Gun

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah the voices sound like they just let some fans do the lines. Anyway the update is out sometime today

Trailer: https://youtu.be/kg7ZkKilkE0

3 new maps, bunch of new weapons, new character customisations.

Changelog: http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1470852079248555581

• Locked thread