Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The helicopters are really fun in this game but I feel like the Loach needs a damage boost. I was circling around a guy in rice paddy who was firing his AK at me. I visibly hit him with the Loach and he didn't die. I end up going down but my pilot survives I popped out with my pistol and as he came over to finish me off I killed him.

I feel like if you hit a guy with the Loach gun they just should instantly die, but either way this game is a ton of fun and the explosion effects are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do you get a warning for an incoming SAM? Twice i was killed in the Loach from a commanders SAM but I didn't hear any warning or see any way to pop flares/chaff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

There's a very audible warning tone when a lock is being established. To counter just drop below 75m altitude and a lock shouldn't be established.

Ah ok, I had the volume turned down last night so I probably just didn't notice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love the helicopters in this game, so fun to zip around picking guys off who wander into open rice paddys. I've gotten real good at staying under 75m as well since it's almost instant death above.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Just wait until people realize they can literally just shoot you with any weapon and do damage.

Yeah it's surprisingly easy to take down a chopper with just an AK. That's why you gotta be flying at full speed and make wide arching turns so you never slow down over the enemy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize you take over the co-pilot spot if you're killed as the pilot. It was really weird, I was cruising along in the Loach and all of a sudden my screen went black and I noticed the kill message indicating I had died in the upper corner and then just as suddenly I was flying again in the co-pilot spot. Returned back to base hopped out and got back into the regular pilot seat and continued on my way. I wonder if it counts as a death?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Got a full Huey kill with the RPG as it landed in a rice paddy field. Feels so good man.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mute everyone and just play shoot mans, this game is good if you liked previous RO games.

Also find a decent server and book mark it.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ You can selectively mute people but it's sorta a pain with their interface.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Giznad Hill

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They really need a "mute everyone but commander" button, that would solve like %95 of the problems with this game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

The option is there to just turn off all voice chat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

obviously, but this is a poor solution for a team based game. it's either dont coordinate and just stumble around deaf or work with your good teammates while the bad teammates participate in the white power amateur comedy hour. im not blaming the devs or the game for this problem, i'm just griping about how terrible gamers are

Yeah it's not ideal obviously but if you like the game play well enough you can get by. I play solo myself and the only person who has ever been useful to listen to is the commander and even then it depends on the commander. Really hoping they put in a "mute all but commander" button and that would be the ideal solution.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think your best bet is to just turn of voice chat, it's that simple. You're really not gonna miss out on much %99 of the time. People are almost never discussing tactics, at worst you'll end up dieing to friendly artillery/napalm more often because you don't hear the commanders warning other than that it's just people trying to one up each other with terrible Engrish.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Did Battlefield Vietnam have this same sort of problem?

I don't really remember it being the case. Also BF: Vietnam didn't have voice chat on for everyone by default if I remember correctly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's hit or miss, sometimes I get a server and no one is really talking. Sometimes you hop on and a group of like 3 guys are screaming racial slurs over top of each other. Also at the end of most matches someone is saying "GI go home" in Engrish.

This is nothing knew and especially not for Red Orchestra/Rising Storm games. But that doesn't mean it's cool, the older I get the less tolerance I have for people acting like poo poo heels in FPS games and just accepting that casual racism is fine. Yeah when I was in my teens playing CS I guess it didn't bother me, but I feel like at some point it would be nice if the gaming community moved further away from that poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

How do you get a game like this and not just turn off voice chat like as the first thing you do?

I naively thought people/commanders might actually say useful stuff. I gave up on that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Chatter pretty much always makes games more fun, you just mute/whatever individual shitheads.

Problem is the UI for muting people is really bad in this game, you have to remember who was talking and then going intoa sub menu and scroll through an un-ordered name list to mute them. It's more hassle than just muting everyone by default.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This game could use like a bunch more maps. How did they ship this with only 5 maps?

I mean there is firebase and compound but no one ever plays those cause they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The AK seems wildly inaccurate beyond 20 feet, it might as well be fixed semi auto.

• Locked thread