Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Man this game looks weird. In some palces its almost phospohorus white and others, its pretty much pitch black. And whats the deal with the small engagement ranges here? On compound you spawn like just across the objective of each other, leading to some confusing and unfun chaos fights where sheer luck decides if you live or die within 5 seconds....

The back of the box couldn't have said it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
ro2_barracks.....

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Remember how RO2 had an amazing beta and the final launch was terrible?

Remember how KF2 had a lot of promise and potential during beta and the final launch was marred by terrible execution of bad ideas?

They're both absolutely incredible games now. This is just SOP for Tripwire.

That said, I have yet to fire up the release version so maybe it's great already. But a friend of mine already found a reproducible bug that eliminates the visual recoil.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I want to use my TrackIR....

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Diogines posted:

I have never spent so much time on any game dying from enemies I never even saw and then running back from spawn and I've played plenty of Red Orchestra/Rising Storm before. I am going to refund this on steam.

Okay. Thanks for stopping by the beautiful country of Vietnam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

As always with this series at launch most squad leaders don't understand how the role works and aren't putting down spawn tunnels.

To be fair, spawn tunnels are new and, at least on Hill 937, there are few locations to place them safely (and legally!!!!) for the first two sets of objectives.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Headphones are a huge boon to situation awareness in this any game.

If you aren't playing games with headphones what are you doing?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

The ones that get me are the 'thunk' headshot ones. Made me jump several times now.

I LOVE the headshots. And, yes, I've jumped multiple times from them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hats, uniforms, skin. No stats, just visuals.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Would this game be a recommend for me? I was pretty active in all the Battlefield games, up until BF1, which just didn't click with me. (not because of the setting, it just didn't have that certain something) Looking for something a bit different, while still being somewhat in the Battlefield-style neighborhood.

It's VERY realistic (at least compared to Battlefield) so be prepared to die very fast, very often, and with little idea of where you got shot from.

Holy. loving. poo poo. I know this game brings out the Asian accent racism and it's borderline unplayable if you leave the voice chat on, but tonight my entire loving team decided to pretend to be Southern plantation owners, complete with all the racism and words that would entail.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Turning off voice chat makes you miss out on a good commander though, and that's when this game really shines. I just try and stick to the servers which have a no racism policy and actively kick/ban for that behaviour.

Our commander was the one leading it all... :negative:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The barrel displacement seems hosed. Like, I'm on board for what your sights show not being what you can shoot (IE if your barrel is still behind the doorway but your head isn't, you shoot the doorway), but it seems like it's way off. Multiple times I've had my barrel visibly over a crouch-wall and still hit my side of it, even when aiming level or slightly up. And it's not like it's hitting the top of the wall, it's hitting my side of it.

Also: Had a great time learning that YOU NEVER SPAWN ON A HELICOPTER. Either they drop you behind your initial spawn, meaning you'd save time and effort just choosing that spawn, or they're trolls who fly you out of bounds and just kill you that way.

Never. Spawn. On. A. Helicopter. Ever.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Burning napalm doesn't render as long as it does damage. That's kind of lovely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Had a similar experience on Hue. I was VC in A and I watched some guy run behind the vehicle across the street. I pulled up my sights and readied to shoot him when he popped out. Instead, a massive spray of blood erupted from the backside of the vehicle. No idea what caused it, there was never and explosion. But it was amazing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Holy poo poo the barrel offset is bad. Laying prone on flat ground, shoot the ground. Shooting crouched over a stack of sandbags that are barely high enough to cover someone prone at someone standing, shoot the bags.

The spooky is also broken. I have run through the middle of fields without cover and never had it even shoot near me. Laying in complete cover inside a building where it can't even see me? Killed twice in an hour.

I'm very much enjoying the game and having a ton of fun, but the small technical issues like these and napalm not rendering after impact while still doing damage put some really big stumbling blocks in the way of that fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

This is sometimes caused because the bullets come out of the end of the gun so don't actually match the iron sights. Moving closer to the thing your shooting over 'mostly' fixes it. It's an attempt to be realistic but you can see why most shooters just make the bullets come out of your eyes.

Yes, but what we're complaining about is the fact that a lot of the time the barrel is clear of an obstacle but you still hit it.

gently caress the spooky, it is outright broken. I just got done with a couple matches in both CuChi and HueCity. In both, I was taken out multiple times by the spooky while in a building (like one of those houses on Hue) and far from its sight. I did some experimenting and decided to start running around in fields any time I heard it and never once got shot from it. It's broken.

Also, it suffers from a sound bug that makes it sound like it's shooting all around you 100% of the time it's firing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

I think but am not a 100% sure that the spooky is a point targeted AoE ability that'll go through literally any structure in the game, except maybe the castle in Hue. It's not a thing that shoots dudes out and about on the map, it just kills people in an area the commander targets and will happily wall hack you to do so. It's basically an arty strike with randomized death instead of wave fire.

It sure seems like it. And

I. loving. Hate. It.

Hell, it'd be even cooler if it WAS actually shooting.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol I was on a balcony as a cong with a mosin as our lines broke so I was suddenly behind enemy lines.

I shot so many confused GI in the back. I wouldn't kill the squad leader (who never looks like a basic grunt. Always a dude with a shottie and bandana, etc etc.) They kept spawning and dying.

Glorious.

This has been a thing since RO1. It has never not been the best of the things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

There is a reason it was nicknamed Hamburger Hill. It was all close-quarters, too. Most of the fighting for 937 was done within ranges of about 50 feet. Fun fact, 937 had basically no strategic value at all for the US, one day the commanders were just like "Take that poo poo, and also do it with infantry for some reason." We won and then almost immediately abandoned it.

Didn't we take it twice? And then immediately abandoned it back to the NVA both times?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The best music in the game consists of sizzling gargles from the bastards burning to death. :clint:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it's actually genuinely unnerving at times. Got into a spray'n'pray in a room with another guy and it was a little weird when it went from very loud automatic gunfire to mostly silent and still except for him gurgling and crying while his ragdoll writhed around on the floor.

Game is good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Basticle posted:

I've noticed that literally all servers once they get over like 50 people in them everyone's ping is like 150+, I seem to remember RO2 and RS1 having this issue too.

This is Tripwire. For some reason, their games (even just six-man-shoot-zombies Killing Floor 2) has horrible ping no matter what you do or where you are. I had a server in Missouri (right next to me) with a minimum ping of 90+.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You get footage or a name?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Do you have a server name for me?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Set up behind your lines and treat it more as area denial. It's a tool of suppression, not direct killing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Zig-Zag posted:

Had one mat h guy got 134 kills. His team said he was shooting through a wall. We still beat them. Badly.

Not to say they're liars as I'm sure there are plenty of hacks, but with good marks a competent commander can get 200+ kills, so triple digit kills aren't always a tell in this.

But if his own team was reporting him.....

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^ That's a Tripwire thing. In most of their games you can see your gun fire but their netcode says you actually died before firing. It's loving infuriating.

I've tried that spot a few times but the fact that obstacles don't render means I've wasted dozens of magazines shooting at marines that are fully covered.

For gently caress's sake, you'd think that in a game about combat at range they'd ensure poo poo would draw in at range.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought the AK always fired in a sort of 'S' shaped pattern.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's astounding the amount of places you can cap a point while still being in cover that are just inside the cap zone. Even more astounding are the amount of people who don't realize this and will charge well past where they need to and get in a dangerous spot and die instead of advancing the cap.

Been this way since the first Red Orchestra....

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, but I've had countless times where we outnumbered them at the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You are all idiots because the obvious best use of artillery is directly on the point we're capping and, in fact, a little on our side.

• Locked thread