Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I will check out the mumble sometime. I have been playing a lot and enjoying it. The game hits a good place between things like Squad and a lot of the twitchy-flythroughtheair-raygun shooters of late. There are some frustrating things like overpen, weird hitboxes and whatever, but I am finding it a really enjoyable tactical-ish shooter.

One spot for getting the snipe achievement is on Hue as VC. If you go all the way to the VC end of the bridge street you can get 220m+ shots. (Hah! I was writing this as you posted... without the fancy pictures.)

I prefer playing Point or Sapper. Mosin when it's an available option. The shotguns are amazing, but I have been mostly using the smg's. With the stock folded the Grease Gun is amazing. MAT 49 less so, but still fun. Of course PPSH is amazing.

Set up beyond the point with cover in the direction of enemy redeployment. As they redeploy they are so focused on the point that they don't check the close angles. My favorite version of this is the APC on the bridge on Hue as a VC when C is being assaulted, but many points have similar spots. You can usually shoot down into the river without being detected. If you wait squads will eventually start running across the bridge. They are so focused on the tower they don't see you. It usually takes about 3 respawns for them to locate you. You can often safely reload under the tower and return. For extra fun pick up an m16 since the sound of your weapon will often alert them of your position. Don't forget to go prone and shoot them in the feet when they are stacking behind the APC. I have taken out and entire squad this way.

Anyway, enjoying the game. Will check out the mumble channel at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Tab8715 posted:

This the first game where the M16 Iron Sights aren't poo poo.

The Grease Gun on the other hand.

Don't use the stock. Fold it. It is still very accurate once you figure out how to use the weird shape you now have as a sight. It is usually one or two hits to be lethal. It is good at any ranges around the point and if you spot someone at greater distance you can unfold the stock for a few. It is really great close quarters because the sight comes up so quickly with the stock folded. The MAT49 with folded stock is also pretty good. The thing about the grease gun though is the controllable recoil. MAT49 has a faster rof, but kicks a lot. He foldable AK is all over the place and mostly unusable. The short shotguns are fun, but no real advantage. The Grease Gun just kick out slower, lethal shots on the target.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
What is needed is the ability store Gun options beyond fire mode. I have died many times folding the stock on spawn.

And Claymores... soooo broken.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
They glitch out a lot. Won't detonate. Look like they are facing another direction. Won't deploy or get bugged in deploy. Additionally all the VC traps stay active if you die. If you plant clays and die... which happens a lot because it's not easy to plant them... then they still show up on your tactical map, but can not be detonated. You also have to be almost right on top of them to detonate them. Range seems pretty random. And what you said. They could be a lot of fun in defending points against counter attack and I try to use them that way a lot. They don't work well.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, that's almost exactly how I use clays. If you make sure its set up right you can use the G key to detonate the Clay while you are holding your weapon. Just need to make sure you aren't going to dramatically pull forth a smoke grenade and brandish it at your now firing foe.

On Hue, for example, the A side door next to the ammo is a great spot. A clay placed there facing out will also take them off the drain pipe. The room with the hole in the wall behind the B site is also great since people will post up at that corner. There are a few places with chokes n various maps, but I think the main use is defending a point from being taken back.

E: I have set them up facing, staggered, etc. Facing or staggered you can close off most of the jungle lanes from B to D on An Lao I think. I often die while trying. Or end up just going click with no boom. Fine. I am bad. I admit it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A horrible commander can lose a game, but I think games usually turn on SL's for both sides. I am often overly aggressive on spawn points when SL. I really like to get a US spawn on the point and have been finding places to do that on all the maps. I think for US it's good to play a class that has smoke as SL. I will often try tunnels in forward flank positions on the point on non heli maps. On heli maps I start with conservative tunnels, tunnels that cover LZ's or draw the attack choppers into anti air. I will often move the tunnel progressively.

On maps with heli's the dynamics change a lot because you have the heli's to spawn on and the anti tunnel war is much more aggressive. On those maps good pilots or good a team anti air with LMG, DShK and RPG's can turn the game. One thing I notice is that there are a lot of ammo dumps from which you can stage an assault or defense. This is useful for your rpg's, lmg's, grenadiers and maybe most for the smoke. Staging from an ammo point gives you at least 4 smokes. e.g. From the a site ammo on Hue (is that the city map?) as the US you can toss two smokes into the river, resupply and have two smokes to throw from the cover of your first two.

The whole anti air resupply thing also gives more tactical value to holding some points than others.

I like playing SL, but the other side of it is terrible, e.g. if you team has no anti-air and it's impossible to keep a tunnel up. That kind of thing. Painful. I also think people don't seem to understand that by fighting with your squad you reduce all sorts of nasty things like suppression effects.

I notice on most servers people don't really use the suppression mechanics or cover penetration. For instance, the map with the police building for A and the road before D and E? (Bad with the map names...) if you set up an LMG behind the police building prone and facing at an angle out toward C... you are near ammo and you can suppress the entire approach to C with out taking return fire. People seem reluctant to just light up straw huts, bushes... to shoot cover where you know they are likely to be. I get it that it reveals your position and all. Doesn't work well if alone, but with a squad it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

GyverMac posted:

I know for a fact that if the majority of the VC squad leaders do not put down tunnels, you are guaranteed to loose. They need to include some sort of system for forcing tunnel placement in the next patch. After the initial spawn, squadmembers can right click the squadleader and choose a "request tunnel option". This would give a prompt to the SL, and a timer would start ticking. If no tunnel was forthcoming within 3 minutes, then the SL should be demoted and the requesting player become SL.

Cool idea. It probably needs to be longer sadly. There is a cooldown after your tunnel is sploded. You might also have to respawn and run. Finally, if you are promoted while alive you have no pick axe and cannot place a tunnel. Sometimes on a map with no anti air I am on my fourth tunnel or something and my squad thinks I have not been placing tunnels.

Last night I fell through the map next to our Squad tunnel. I was under it and could see it above me, but couldn't move. Trapped in the tunnel!! Buried alive! get me out get me out. Had to suicide.

• Locked thread