Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
how does this compare to the other RO titles? i've played them all and generally my complaint is that the game is good but the community is terrible. with ten pages in two weeks, are there enough people playing this game to be worth it or are we already at the stage where the only populated servers are clan servers that votekick people for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ugh, i'm super spoiled on overwatch allowing you to selectively mute idiots. wasn't there something similar to that in rising storm or am i foggy on that point

is there xp collecting and unlocks of weapon addons like the shotgun bayonet? is there a goon discord or just the mumble

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm hesitant to blanket mute because sometimes voice chat turns out useful

i was playing rs once as ija and the commander was a japanese dude, like japanese characters in his name, didn't speak english, etc. the only english words he knew were "wait" and "go now" and he ended up being an excellent leader. he would just say "wait... wait.... wait... wait... wait... *sound of arty* go. go now. go now go now go go go go GO NOW GO GO. BANZAI!" and like three matches in a row he managed to coordinate excellent charges that swept the map. that guy ruled

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stairmaster posted:

so the moral is don't play with americans

the rest of the team was anglos and you'd think they'd be shouting stupid ching chong bullshit at a for real japanese guy but suprisingly they all shut the gently caress up and worked as a team and it paid off. funny how that works. it was what sold me on rising storm for a while because i was getting tired of my team loving around but a well executed bayonet charge is rad as hell

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Basticle posted:

The stupid racist poo poo in voice chat I kind of just automatically filter out, what really grinds my gears is the douchebags that are super mad our team is losing and instead of being helpful they just scream about how we're dumb and you need to MOVE INTO THAT POINT RIGHT NOW WE"RE LOSING YOU GUYS

whatever you do definitely do not call these dudes Coach

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
god drat it i wanted to like this game but as soon as i joined a server it's all CHING CHONG CHING CHONG on the voice chat so basically i turned it off and i'm a confused getting shot forever guy who gets no kills and does nothing useful. and i've played red orchestra before so i'm used to that but it would be nice to know whats going on without constant idiot racism piped into my ears

loving gamers ruin games. god drat it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
for real one guy was all "stop being a racist idiot its not even funny" and he got votekicked. but the dude tking never got kicked. gonna ask for a refund while i can

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
just some random server. as soon as we team switch to the ARVN side every mouthbreathng sisterfucker rushes to voice chat to pull off their best charlie chan impression circa 1962. like i can deal with offensive humor but it's not even fresh, it's just cliche drunk milton berle bullshit from idiots. i'm just going to play overwatch

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You say you turn off voice chat and then keep complaining about voice chat. I've got mine off and never feel like I'm missing out on important information so I don't understand what your problem is.

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 17, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

The option is there to just turn off all voice chat.

obviously, but this is a poor solution for a team based game. it's either dont coordinate and just stumble around deaf or work with your good teammates while the bad teammates participate in the white power amateur comedy hour. im not blaming the devs or the game for this problem, i'm just griping about how terrible gamers are

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Yeah it's not ideal obviously but if you like the game play well enough you can get by. I play solo myself and the only person who has ever been useful to listen to is the commander and even then it depends on the commander. Really hoping they put in a "mute all but commander" button and that would be the ideal solution.

yeah. it must be my biggest problem is the only shooter i've been playing recently is overwatch and combined with the toddler ui and small team sizes it's super easy to ignore jackasses when they start arguing over who hosed who's mom more tenderly. i'm just an old man i suppose, i only get so much time to game and i'd rather it not be filled with rambling manchildren

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kenzie posted:

This is an ultra violent historical military game, so of course it's gonna attract loads of people with violent, militaristic, fascist ideologies. Milsim and grognard-ish games seem to attract a lot of those types as well, but Red Orchestra is like a perfect game for them. You can play as a nazi and run around killing people and blowing their limbs off. It's not a milsim so you don't have to put much effort into learning to play, and it's not super casual either and has a more or less realistic and authentic feel to it, so you can satisfy your white male rage and nazi bloodlust.

i've played every RO game since the first, i dont ever the casual racism being this obnoxious. i probably just got unlucky and ran across an unfortunate server but also after consideration i think the fact that it's vietnam themed aggravates things - it's much harder for your average american to come up with slurs against russians rather than vietnamese. last night i was playing against a group of dudes who absolutely would not stop chanting "me love you long time". i think i'll just hunt them down and tk them repeatedly

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 17, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Problem is the UI for muting people is really bad in this game, you have to remember who was talking and then going intoa sub menu and scroll through an un-ordered name list to mute them. It's more hassle than just muting everyone by default.

yeah i wouldn't mind it so much if the ui for muting people wasn't nonfunctional so i could cut out all the fools while waiting for the rare useful person to say something

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DoctorStrangelove posted:

But for reals the best thing to do about racists in game is choose ignore them. You can choose was does and does not anger you, these guys are just a bunch of nobodies being shitheads on the internet. They should not be so upsetting.

the easiest way to ignore the racists is just to not play the game thats chock full of racists if i have to compromise by turning off the parts of the game that allow people to be racist at me

again overwatch handles this extremely well. RS2 just has a backwards interface and attitude towards how selectively muting players enhances a game

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Welp, no surprise to you all I'm sure, but I discovered that any side with 3 or more squad leaders with their poo poo together will usually steamroll the map. Having those spawn points consistently right near objectives helps soooo much.

Cu Chi is a bit difficult for VC SLs tho. Not many places to put down forward tunnels.

was on a hue match tonight where my squad kept yelling at their marine SL for hanging back and letting people spawn, instead of running in and dying over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Live At Five! posted:

I just picked this up and it's alternatively amazing and incredibly frustrating. I'm sure most of it is not knowing the maps and playing against people who've been playing for months. There's nothing more satisfying than nailing someone you can barely see and the napalm and artillery strikes are loving intense as gently caress. But after becoming a savant in Battlefield 1 it hard to suck at a game again. I just need to put more time in the game.

if you've never played a red orchestra before it can be very frustrating because there's a super high skill floor before you can start running around like rambo

just stay with your squad, keep your head down, take it slow, and be extra careful not to shoot your teammates because this game won't hold your hand about who you should and should not shoot

find someone who seems to know what they are doing and follow them around, unless they're acting like rambo

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wish they gave smokes to more people than just pointmen. Would make assaulting points a lot easier.

this is why i almost always play radioman, at least i can poo poo smoke everywhere before i die

• Locked thread