Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

They made it a lot less apparent moving from RS1 to RS2. In RS1, at least you had a stamina meter so you could figure out how poo poo your aim would be and your gun was visibly less steady. In this one, you don't sway as much when tired (esp. if prone) but the game will throw off your bullets from the crosshairs if you are. I've unloaded an entire SKS clip against someone from 50m away and watched every shot miss despite my crosshairs being on center of mass as a result of this mechanic.

I did, however, see immediate gains when I advanced much more slowly as a sniper thanks to following this advice.

I had no idea this was a thing. At least when playing regular RO2, it always seemed like the guys who were the most aggressive were the ones who were the most effective. Like watching other people play it, on youtube or in spectator mode or whatever, I would see guys just sprinting around everywhere massacring the other team because they were quick on the draw and memorized the maps. The players who tried to move slowly and creep around and snipe people were usually not very effective, and would just get overrun or flanked and shot by one of those hyper-aggressive players.

I got RS2 a while ago and mostly suck at it, but I got a lot better after a few hours. I had a couple of really good rounds earlier, and the game is a lot of fun. I like it more than RO2 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

boner confessor posted:

god drat it i wanted to like this game but as soon as i joined a server it's all CHING CHONG CHING CHONG on the voice chat so basically i turned it off and i'm a confused getting shot forever guy who gets no kills and does nothing useful. and i've played red orchestra before so i'm used to that but it would be nice to know whats going on without constant idiot racism piped into my ears

loving gamers ruin games. god drat it

I was on one server where people were doing that and another guy said "well at least you're not a jew. that would be bad."

turn off the TV posted:

It really depends on the circumstances as to whether playing aggressively works in this game or not, but from my experience it's usually better to be more conservative unless you manage to get behind or inside of a group of enemies, at which point go nuts.

Yeah I've played this game a total of 7 hours now and I think I've been having more luck when I started trying to be more sneaky. So far my best kill streak was when I was just lying still behind some rocks and putting flanking fire down the American lines as they ran toward the objective and I killed 10 of them in a row with my AK.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I think I need to spray random suppressing fire a whole lot more. I always forget that this game has wall penetration and suppression. A while ago I got a double headshot by just spraying randomly toward the enemy. I had no idea they were there and yet I still hit two heads with one bullet.

boner confessor posted:

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

This is an ultra violent historical military game, so of course it's gonna attract loads of people with violent, militaristic, fascist ideologies. Milsim and grognard-ish games seem to attract a lot of those types as well, but Red Orchestra is like a perfect game for them. You can play as a nazi and run around killing people and blowing their limbs off. It's not a milsim so you don't have to put much effort into learning to play, and it's not super casual either and has a more or less realistic and authentic feel to it, so you can satisfy your white male rage and nazi bloodlust.

I usually don't play online shooters either but this game is too much fun to pass up just because of assholes on the internet are playing on the same server as you. You can also kill them and make them mad, which is a bonus. And most of the time people are quiet and just play the game without being annoying anyway, at least in my experience. Most of the time, nobody ever coordinates or talks to each other and they just run around on their own trying to get kills.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

boner confessor posted:

i've played every RO game since the first, i dont ever the casual racism being this obnoxious. i probably just got unlucky and ran across an unfortunate server but also after consideration i think the fact that it's vietnam themed aggravates things - it's much harder for your average american to come up with slurs against russians rather than vietnamese. last night i was playing against a group of dudes who absolutely would not stop chanting "me love you long time". i think i'll just hunt them down and tk them repeatedly

Did you play RS1 right when it came out? I remember it being really bad then as well, just because the game was new and fresh and everyone couldn't resist getting their CHING CHONG SHAMEFUL DISPRAY jokes out of the way and whatnot. I imagine that it's the same with RS2. And people do the same stupid stuff with the Americans too by going 'MURICA OORAH and THIS GUN FIRES 400 FREEDOMS PER MINUTE and so on. I can't really get too mad at it though. I haven't seen people do it all that much though, usually just at the beginning and end of a round.

What annoys me are the people who get really angry when their team is losing and then take their frustration out on everyone else, calling them idiots or never shutting up with barking orders at the team. I saw one guy do this and he wouldn't shut up until he got votekicked.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

You are out of your mind if you think I'm enabling voice chat in this game.

Yeah I'm starting to think I should just disable it entirely as well. I've seen some people actually try to talk to their squad and coordinate, but usually it's just bullshit and I would rather it be quiet so I can be more aware of my surroundings and hear footsteps more easily and so on.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

It's weird that the flamethrower has recoil when you shoot it, especially from the hip.

I had an interesting game on one of the beta maps (Song Be I think?). I was one of the attacking Vietnamese, and some guy on the US team was just completely slaughtering us with a flamethrower. It was ridiculous. He would just run around insta-killing everyone, bouncing the flames around corners and so on, and no one could touch him. The rest of his team was not really that good, it was just one guy holding us back. We still won the round by capping the points, but by the time it was over, he had over 40 kills and the guy in second had maybe less than 20. Then when the teams switched, he became the Vietnamese commander, and started running around slaughtering everyone with his SMG while calling in artillery on everyone, thus skyrocketing his kill count even further, so by the time it was over (they still lost again) he had nearly triple the kills of anyone else, with over 100.

I tried playing flamethrower myself on that second round to see if I could do even nearly as well, and of course I couldn't. That was my first time with the flamethrower though and I still killed more people than I died (I killed 27 people I think). It's hilarious when you just spray into the bushes at random and then hear screaming from like 2 or 3 people.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Quite A Tool posted:

You gotta remember that thing isn't just spewing magic fire out the front, it's like a firehose spraying out a combustible liquid.

Well I've seen a WW2 flamethrower being used in person. I saw him squirt the liquid out without igniting it at first, and it didn't seem anything like a firehose. I don't know much about flamethrowers though and I've never fired one so I'm just guessing as to what it would feel like. It was just a little jarring to see such a difference in recoil between the ADS and the hipshooting in-game. Flamethrowers also sound much quieter than they usually do in movies and games, and they don't explode when you shoot them either (they don't explode in this game do they? At least I don't think I've seen it). Most of the weapons in this game seem very realistic though, having fired a Mosin and an SKS before.

I suppose it would be easy enough to remember to just pull the mouse down a little when spraying the flamethrower.

turn off the TV posted:

The proper use of a flamethrower is to provide covering fire onto your squad as they attempt to advance through your commander's artillery.

The best way is to spray through your teammates whenever an enemy pops up.

edit: Playing with the guns in the practice range, the flamethrower seems to have about as much if not a little bit more recoil than firing an AK-47 at fully automatic. Seems a bit much honestly.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 12, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Played Cu Chi as VC last night and hid out in the police station bathroom after the town fell to the US. Killed the gi commander five times via rifle-butt until he finally convinced a few teammates to hang back with him at the rooftop radio. lmao

Just did this myself and it was funny. I bashed the commander in the back of the head while he was on the radio, killed a bunch of guys with my SKS from the rooftop, then killed a bunch more when they tried to come up to stop me. Eventually I died in a hail of M60 fire on top of the toilet in that bathroom. :v:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

My favorite way to attack A on Cu Chi is to immediately go way around on the right flank. I go toward the elevated road, through the storm drain tunnel under the road that links the two rice paddies together, then circle around and head into the back door of the building on the left. While running around back there, I've had VC players run right past me without even noticing me, since they don't expect a GI to be back there, especially right at the start of a round. This will give you a view toward the rear of the police station, and you can shoot lots of VC reinforcements as they run by.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Also probably one of the big things I don't like about this game is the sound it makes when you get shot in the head. Just because it's so goddamn loud and always scares the poo poo out of me every time it happens. Unless I turn the sound way down, but I hate doing that because this game has great sounds otherwise, and turning the sound up is important to hear enemy footsteps. It's just incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Jehde posted:

The headshot sounds are good. On both ends.

It was cool at first but the longer I play it, the more I get annoyed by it. It's cool to hear a ding when you shoot the other guy though.

• Locked thread