Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
:siren::siren:Release date: May 30th:siren::siren:
Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/418460 Currently $22.49
gmg link: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rising-storm-2-vietnam-digital-deluxe-edition/ Price went up, now $26.99
Mumble: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734
Discord: ??? I don't use discord so if you know of/run one of the million, suggest it and I'll add it.

Gameplay vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajAQXiMiDuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDIGghMNa8&t=1s The first 8 minutes of this is his opinions and info about the game, but the intro is pretty badass so I thought I'd include it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2SrJIjDBI Some Cobra pilot & gunner gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYOSENcVFE Flamethrower gameplay. The best god drat weapon in the game.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam follows on the heel of the standalone expansion from Red Orchestra 2, but thankfully developed by Antimatter Games and only published by Tripwire. Developed on the Unreal Engine, it brings the right amount of jankiness we all love, pitching two teams of up to 32 players, including a commander, in three ...

Game modes:
Skirmish: 16v16, players start with an initial time limit of two minutes to capture and hold three objectives. During the first two minutes respawns are unlimited, but after the two minute mark death is permanent. A team can extend and refresh their respawns for 40 seconds by capturing an objective. After 5 minutes, there is no possibility to extend respawn timers in a sudden death mode. No commander, no vehicles and no squad spawning mechanics.
Territories: 32v32 attack/defend; attackers must push defenders out of their objectives along a path of moving objectives. Includes vehicles, squad spawning, and commanders. Both teams have spawn tickets that can be depleted.
Supremacy: 32v32 linked objectives; teams must capture objectives and maintain the link between captured objectives and homebase to gain points. First team to the point limit or highest score at time wins, or the first team that runs out of tickets usually loses. Includes vehicles, squad spawning, and commanders.

Pre-order Bonus!
No one cares, they're cosmestics and pre-order bonuses are for scrubs. But if you must know, pre-purchase the digital deluxe and get...
Oh, before that, you unlock cosmestics as you level. There is a green helmet that the NVA get that looks exactly like the American helmets and causes plenty of teamkills, it's great. Other than that, it's all cosmetic. Onto the "bonuses"!:

and some Killing Floor 2 skins

Some basic QA stuff:

quote:

Q: Does the game feature a modding SDK? What can you do with it?
A: Yes the game features a full SDK. Modders can do anything from new maps and weapons to full total conversions if they wish. It is most similar to UE3/UDK with game specific unreal script extensions and middleware additions.

Q: What Factions Are Available in Game?
A: United States Army, USMC, Northern Liberation Front (Vietcong) and the People's Army of Vietnam (North Vietnamese Army).

:siren:Q: What Anti Cheat System Does The Game Use:siren:
A: The game features both Valve Anti Cheat (VAC) and Easy Anti Cheat (EAC)

Commanders
The commander is a unique kinda guy. He has the ability to use a radio to call in air support, recon/scout planes to spot enemies on the map, call anti-air support, and to force faster reinforcements if half the team got killed by a friendly arty strike. The commander can also run around and help attacking/defending and either return to a radio outpost to call in support, or to use a radioman if one is nearby.

Support calls by commander
Coordinate markings for squad leaders (US & PAVN/NLF)
Artillery barrage (US & PAVN/NLF) - Up to 5 volleys per barrage; Cooldown ~7 minutes.
Napalm strike (US) - Up to two tanks per strike; Cooldown ~7 minutes. This thing has a huge kill radius due to sheer heat.
AC-47 Spooky Gun Barrage (US) - Gunship blankets an area in fire, enemy and friendly in the area will die. Cooldown ~8 minutes.
Recon plane (US) - Scout plane that circles the map for 30-45 seconds, spots enemies that move or fire on the map. Cooldown ~2 minutes.
Scout report (PAVN/NLF) - Scout report, reports all movements/shots fired by the enemy for 30-45 seconds. Cooldown ~2 minutes.
Reinforcements (US) - Force all spawns at the main base; useful if half the team is dead. Cooldown ~4 minutes.
Ambush (PAVN/NLF) - Forces all dead team members to spawn on the commander; useful if commander is active and is in the fight. Cooldown ~4 minutes.
Anti-air SAM (PAVN/NLF) - Anti-air will take out any support craft active, including recon and AC-47, and any helicopters above 75 meters. Cooldown ~3 minutes.

Squads

quote:

You can form and be in a squad of up to 6 people. Squad leaders can set markers with binocs for commander support calls. You can also rename your squad because why not.
US Squad leaders act as mobile spawn points in Territories and Supremacy game modes.
PAVN/NLF Squad leaders can build spawn tunnels for their squad, as long as it is in dirt and not within 25 meters of an objective.

Classes with corrections by Dvsilverwing

quote:

American:
Grunt: The bulk of the force, carries M14 or M16, two grenades.
Pointman: Standard infantry, but with an SMG or shotgun; spots explosives and traps. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Machinegunner: M60 life. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Marksman: M40 or M21; weapon type may be limited by faction. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Grenadier: M79 GL. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Combat Engineer: The only weapon that matters; the flamethrower Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Commander: One per team, calls in support assets.
Pilot: Pilots spawn at a separate base far from combat, and act as either pilot, gunner for the Cobra, or co-pilots. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Radioman: Has a radio for the commander; needs to stay with the commander.

PAVN/NLF
Rifleman: (PAVN) Standard infantry class, AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 or SKS-45.
Guerrilla: (NLF) AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 and SKS-45, with the option of unscoped Mosin Nagant.
Machine Gunner: RPD or DP-28. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
RPG: IZH-43 hunting shotgun or SKS (possibly, will update). The RPG backblast is one of the most satisfying kills. Also: get lot of tks with backblast. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sapper: PPSh or SKS-45, plants mines in tunnels or other highly-trafficked areas. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Scout: MAT-49 or IZH-43. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sniper: (PAVN) SVD or Mosin. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sniper: (NLF) Mosin Nagant. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Commander: One per team, calls in support assets.
Radioman: Radio operators get the same loadouts as the default class, but carries a radio for mobile support calls; needs to stay with commander if the commander is mobile.

Weapons seen in the open beta and free weekend:

quote:

US Weapons
C4 Explosive
M14
M16A1
M18 Claymore Mine
M18 Signal Smoke
M1911-A1
M34 White Phosphorus Grenade
M37 Ithica
M3A1
M40
M60
M61 Grenade
M79 Greande Launcher
M8 Smoke Grenade
M9 Flamethrower

PAVN/NLF Weapons
DP-28
DShk
IZH-43
MAT-49
MD-82 Mine
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU
Pickaxe Mattock
PPSH-41
Punji Trap
RDG-1 Smoke Grenade
RPD
RPG-7 Rocket Launcher
SKS-45
SVD
Tripwire Trap
TT-33
Type 56
Type 67 Grenade

Vehicles
There are three helicopters available to the US Army and USMC:
AH-1 Cobra, OH-6 Loach and the UH-1 Huey for troop transport. All three fit a pilot and co-pilot, and can be brought down by sufficient small arms fire or PAVN/NLF anti-air support called in by the commannder.

THIS GAME IS LOUD
Especially when there is an artillery strike on or near you. It is loud, you will not be able to hear poo poo during an arty strike.

I may be missing things and it's possible some things may change last minute; if you have suggestions I'll add them.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
~just in case~

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Commoners posted:

but bad ones will spend the whole game crashing, getting shot down by SAMs, and generally will maybe achieve one kill throughout the entire play period.

my favorites were the cobra pilots that would do gun runs that always ended in them crashing into their targets after their volley :downs:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
4 days is still a long time for this garbage

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
wait you can do that? i always ran around buttstroking

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
awkward but definitely doable and once you get the hang of it, it's real easy. only thing is not having a third-person or even a freelook to land a heli for repairs.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
The issues people have as attackers can mostly be mitigated with the use of smoke grenades, which a lot of people don't actually use unless you yell at them to.

Traps are so god drat fun, just find the busiest point and put the mines and punji traps everywhere. Sappers are the best for that, plop down 5 and go do other things until all 5 blow up, repeat. Having a good radioman stick with you as commander is also so drat cool :neckbeard:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
finally figured out the trajectory of the rpg's to hit helis

it's amazing

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
also being a transport pilot :love:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
if not gyver you can try joining us in mumble, we have a few eurogoons and we tend to stick to just east coast servers for their considerations. the voice is hit or miss. you can get really good SL's and commanders that work cohesively, a bunch of racist remarks and terrible accents, or silence. i've had more luck with good SL/commander combo more often than not, though

e: the goon group is also pretty good at running mobile commander + radioman. the best commanders are ones that move around and not just jerk it in the back.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 2, 2017

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
i want to do nothing but fly the huey now i had some amazing loving drops :supaburn:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm a little confused about when I can and can't spawn in with a pistol. Is it only if you're playing a non-rifle class? So far I've only played as a grunt (and I don't trust myself to try much of anything else) and a bit of combat engineer on the US side. Not having a pistol made me real antsy about going into the tunnels on Hill 937.

please don't be shy of trying anything. just pick a class, anything really. you'll have a blast, and the only times you might be voted out of a role is of commander or a pilot of some sort. do it all, every round try something new. you'll find the ones you enjoy more than anything that way, even if the m16 is baller as heck.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
guys i know how to do commander now

that's about my average score now. to the point that i got kicked from a game because of it when i was around 90 kills on cuchi.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also: Had a great time learning that YOU NEVER SPAWN ON A HELICOPTER. Either they drop you behind your initial spawn, meaning you'd save time and effort just choosing that spawn, or they're trolls who fly you out of bounds and just kill you that way.

Never. Spawn. On. A. Helicopter. Ever.

i've never been your pilot :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNRqFgzs_8

also, this video thankfully shows me that i need to adjust my recording volume for the new headset because god drat am i loud in it.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
i just managed to take a full huey into the area of an artillery strike, back out mid-landing, reroute, drop off 6 to a new lz, and return to the original artillery strike lz to drop another 6 to cap the point.

who said they hate helicopters? :(

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
if you fly like i fly you'll know the pain of constantly having tail rotors shot out. it's fairly easy to fly back to base or an LZ. just full collective until about ~50-55 meters, then drop the collective. it'll stabilize and you'll be able to control it just enough holding yaw and pitch down to get to where you need to, while remaining under 75m. sliding on skids into an lz between two enemy controlled points and dropping a full hot load of gi into some vc territory is the best feeling.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
really tired of pubbies trying to votekick me because i'm doing good

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Symetrique posted:

Hm, someone found a new bug. Apparently, you get a decent amount of bonus points if you stand near your commander at the end of the round. Just ask gay.satan about it.

i will attest to the validity of this statement

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Symetrique posted:

Hm, someone found a new bug. Apparently, you get a decent amount of bonus points if you stand near your commander at the end of the round. Just ask gay.satan about it.

:bigtran:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If someone is saying stuff in in-game voice chat that you don't like then just start ranting about how gay you are and how you've hosed the dude's dad in the anus and drank all of his cum. It's what I do and it works pretty well.

yeah but the difference is we know it's true and you're using the ironic gay movement to cover your unironic gay shenanigans

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

turn off the TV posted:

Speaking of new maps, it looks like all of the old Red Orchestra/Rising Storm maps are fully compatible with the RS2 SDK. I've been able to load a few RO2 maps and run around as a PLN soldier with an AK. The problem I'm running into, though, is that I don't know how to get the textures and lighting working properly. I'm not familiar with the Unreal editor or the RO2 version, so I'm just kind of guessing as to how things work at the moment.

there are some good tutorials that can give you a decent start, but i wouldn't recommend trying to import/modify RO2 maps for this. it'd be easier in the long run to remake it on your own, so you don't get glitchy textures and lighting and can ensure all objectives and markers are properly placed, whereas importing you can miss small things and then poo poo gets weird.

Commoners posted:

US commander honestly should be getting a huge amount of kills if he is making good decisions.

like having command autism and predicting the other commanders moves. always a good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Mega Comrade posted:

If it happens respawning by bringing up the console and typing suicide will fix it it seems.

also hitting escape should fix it? it happened to me twice and just hitting escape and letting the menu load did that.

• Locked thread