Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I don't have the reflexes, so I always get owned in close encounters. Hello, I'm one of those a-holes sniping from the far flanks of the map with my AK/M16 (cuz everyone always beats me to a sniper slot).

And yeah, this game needs twice as many maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I've noticed that the latest thing to do is to initiate a vote kick on the enemy commander as soon as a round starts.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
one of the most satisfying things to do is camp the known huey drop-off spots and snipe the pilots/passengers as the copters flare in for a landing and turn them into abandoned ghost hueys

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I don't know what servers you guys are playing on. I barely ever hear the ching chong stuff and I hop servers a lot.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Did Battlefield Vietnam have this same sort of problem?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Thankfully they are addressing the audio bug of player scream radius being too small. I need more blood-curdling screaming!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nebiros posted:

Either you guys are joining servers labeled (KKK) or you're all full of poo poo in how often you're seeing racism and how rare team coordination occurs.

Gonna have to agree. The thread is totally blowing this all out of proportion based on my experience in the beta and in public.

voice chat is chill and most of the time there's some level of coordination going on over it. LOL at the dudes who can't handle it while they virtually murder people.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Why would you read this thread without muting "turn off the TV"? It makes talking about the game better.

Played for three hours last night. Saw "GI go home" typed at the end of rounds, but didn't hear a single slur over voice. Plenty of coordination. Lots of fun, but I could do without An Loa. Seems like there's way too much unused space on that one.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Is there a way to give up the squad leader role when you get it? I seem to inherit it by getting promoted into the spot during a game and I'm not exactly sure how this happens.

Most of the time it's not a big deal, but being promoted to Squad Leader as an American sniper sucks for everyone, because I'm usually at a spot where no one want to spawn from. It's not so bad as the VC because I can just dig a tunnel as I go to my setup point.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
cool, thanks!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Anyone else get the red screen bug? Happens when you get dropped off by heli into an area outside the combat zone. Screen turns red because you've got a few seconds to get back onto the map before you die, but once you do, the infrared predator-style screen doesn't go away.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
It probably did then. The last time it happened to me was a few days ago.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I ran out of ammo while among the enemy in their trenches so I just said gently caress it and followed one guy as close as I could everywhere he went. Eventually someone noticed me and shot me, but not before TKing the guy I was following.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

Because of this you get people camping the landing spots...

Hi there!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I just played Compound for the first time and uh wow. It's kind of fun in a masochistic way.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
What he said. MG's don't work too well on point, so don't go looking for the enemy. Set up in a protected places where the the enemy will come to you.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Pesticide20 posted:

They don't even try to hide the hacks

LOL just got done playing a round where some dude ripped off about twenty headshots in the space of 30 seconds before he was banned. So yeah, not very subtle.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

haha

I'm trying to figure out why the game lets you adjust your scopes for shots out to 800m. I've been sniping a lot lately and the farthest shot I've been able to make is around 250m and I don't think there's any map that has a useful shooting spot past 300m from any point.

Also, the game engine starts going wonky past 225m and won't draw certain objects, so looking through your scope, you might see a dude that looks like he's standing out in the open, but you won't be able to hit him because he's actually behind an invisible wall (that wasn't drawn). This is especially bad on Chu Chi.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

GyverMac posted:

Finally got the White feather achievement (Over 250 metres kill with the xm21 sniper) on An Lao. I had to stand down beyond E, and I took out some guy standing in the bunker at the top of C. Thats the only place in the game I figure you have any need for plus 300 on your scope.

Congrats! That's generally where I was to get my 244m.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I thought I'd have a look at the commander role to see what's up. Here's my screen. You can see that the right side is cut off for some reason. Any idea what's going on here? I run the game in fullscreen mode at my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) it's like the game thinks my monitor is 1380x1024 or something.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 7, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Party Plane Jones posted:

The gently caress is this resolution?

lol...sorry 1280x1024. I edited my post

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

The UI doesn't support 4:3.

ah, well there you go.

Thank you for the answer.

EDIT: yep, that was the problem. Even though the video menu offers all sorts of ratios and resolutions (including 4:3 and 5:4), the game doesn't support them!

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 7, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I got personal best of 53 kills as sniper on a Cu Chi round today. Not super amazing or anything, but it's kinda fun finding secret spots to shoot from.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

GyverMac posted:

Yeah? Well share your secret spot then!

okay...here's an easy one on Hue City (VC side)

When C (citadel walls) is being challenged by the Marines, prone in the planter just outside of the last-stand, final objective, and shoot through the two circle-entrances and down the road. Dial scope to 200m. Shots will be ~215m and since the draw distance is hosed, marines will appear silhouetted against a white backdrop. Waist-high walls will not be drawn, so aim for upper torso. Opponents are unable to see you unless they have a scope. Until E & F both fall, the bridge remains a marine spawn point and they'll run straight towards you after they spawn, so shoot all day and when you're out of ammo, run to the nearby ammo dump; reload and repeat.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I've tried it a bunch of times with an sks and I can only score a hit once every twenty shots or so with those iron sights. It's a friggin tough shot that far out without a scope.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ That's a Tripwire thing. In most of their games you can see your gun fire but their netcode says you actually died before firing. It's loving infuriating.

LOL I can't tell you how many times I've blasted a dude in the loving face only to die with the shot I took still echoing in my headphones.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

One of the most satisfying things to do in these games is to bayonet a commander in the back when he's at the radio.

lol...and then because dumbasses don't forgive arty TKs, the commander doesn't respawn for a long time.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Welp, no surprise to you all I'm sure, but I discovered that any side with 3 or more squad leaders with their poo poo together will usually steamroll the map. Having those spawn points consistently right near objectives helps soooo much.

Cu Chi is a bit difficult for VC SLs tho. Not many places to put down forward tunnels.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
speaking of helo's, some pilots are getting insanely skilled at flying and dropping off in the craziest spots -- right in the middle of the action. It's pretty cool to see.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Is there a setting in some file somewhere to adjust the opacity of the map overlay? It would be nice for it to be semi-transparent so I at least have a chance of blasting a fool in the face while I'm looking at it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Played Cu Chi as VC last night and hid out in the police station bathroom after the town fell to the US. Killed the gi commander five times via rifle-butt until he finally convinced a few teammates to hang back with him at the rooftop radio. lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
also, sniping as US from the top of the Cu Chi police station is completely ridiculous for >300 meter kill opportunites

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Would-be commanders, remember to call down arty between your team and the objective so that we can't reach it. Also, don't let not having a mike stop you from being commander. Arty should be a surprise for everyone!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
how do we petition the game developers to include this vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pRihxvk4YY

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
so...I'm not seeing any double-xp thing going on?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pnutz posted:

check the xp awarded at the end of the round and compare to your actual score

I'm saying that I should be seeing 600-800 per 2-round match and I'm not. Just the usual.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Double XP started yesterday (Monday) and will continue to the 17th.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

Free weekend and double XP for the weekend.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1453955548934848093

Quite a lot of changes. Some of the them are quite nice.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I agree that the changes look good and I'm looking forward to a new crop of GIs stepping on my toe-poppers this weekend (the sapper class is my jam).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Was playing CuChi last night as a GI and we kicked off the round with a commander who insisted everyone go left around the police station and enter it from the rear -- he swore this tactic would work.

We captured A within a minute of the start of the round. It was pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

ganglysumbia posted:

How long did it take you to capture the rest of the map? Enveloping a position takes quite a bit of time and coordination. I've seen this strategy used, and against a decent opponent they can clamp down on the flanks fairly quickly with good tunnel placement. With ChuChi I find an initial rush straight into A will often lead to its capture, make sure to bring your nades and smoke.

I don't think we ever got B & C, lol. The commander was a major rear end in a top hat and encouraged teammates to shoot those who didn't immediately follow his instructions to move somewhere.

I played as commander for the first time this weekend and it was pretty fun. I'm not very good at the tactics, but I can manage the arty well enough to fill in when no one wants to take the role.

• Locked thread