Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Made some tweaks to my Seasonal deck and I'm happy enough with it now to publish it and make a guide:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/205900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
as resident gwent complainer I just have to say this meta, while not as toxic thankfully, is boring as gently caress

either you queue against Eist or Crimes with occasional traps deck. I have managed to climb to top 130 since Assimilate absolutely smurfs but man id rather be playing something more fun. Have a very cool pirate deck that i cant even really play :(

i love syndicate but fuuuuuuuuuuuck im sick of this same crimes deck everyone is playing

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Re: the pirate deck, if you like moments where your opponent is highlighting every card on your side of the board because he doesn’t know that the gently caress is happening or why, Buddy,,,,,,,,, crach an craite and the self pinging pirate boat are the cards for you

Had a beautiful game where I managed to stick crach harald and holger and it was a machine gun every time I played a pirate/warrior

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Welp, CDPR did a stealth Seasonal swap again, so now it seems the Season of the Elves has come early. Dusted off this old chestnut:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/85519

and made a couple updates (traded Letho for Braathens, because Braathens, and Rainfarn sucks even more than he used to now, so I swapped him for a Cupbearer; never hurts to have another Assimilate and Purify, and there aren't really many other good alternatives for 7 provisions...). Still works just as well, especially when your opponent is foolish enough to hand you an early R1 win. Always fun watching 'em discard their last four cards because I've already bricked their board halfway through the round...

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

the_american_dream posted:

i love syndicate but fuuuuuuuuuuuck im sick of this same crimes deck everyone is playing

I barely ran into this before and never even hosed with building a Syndicate deck, but I kegged a Pasiflora and made a blindeyes/Crime deck without any guides/examples, and it's... fun!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

dennyk posted:

Welp, CDPR did a stealth Seasonal swap again, so now it seems the Season of the Elves has come early. Dusted off this old chestnut:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/85519

and made a couple updates (traded Letho for Braathens, because Braathens, and Rainfarn sucks even more than he used to now, so I swapped him for a Cupbearer; never hurts to have another Assimilate and Purify, and there aren't really many other good alternatives for 7 provisions...). Still works just as well, especially when your opponent is foolish enough to hand you an early R1 win. Always fun watching 'em discard their last four cards because I've already bricked their board halfway through the round...

yea i havent lost with this and have no idea how anyone would beat it tbh

thanks

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

yea i havent lost with this and have no idea how anyone would beat it tbh

thanks

Made a couple more tweaks to the new version I'm running:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/080fad442d8db50bc40d60d612baf9f7

Really the only time it loses is the occasional mirror match where I get a bad draw or my opponent gets lucky in stealing a lot of key cards from me. Thought I was going to lose one game to a Viy opponent, as I had an utter garbage R1 hand and he got both my Yrdens with his double 'Quax opener, but then I managed to get both Cahirs down in R3 and he had no answer for that, so he just rage-Alt+F4'd on me. NR Charge decks can also be tricky sometimes, as they can put out a lot of damage if they're unchecked, but I've managed to keep their damage units contained via locks and the occasional killing of 'em directly, and if you can manage to get at least one Cahir to stick in R1 and have Yrden in hand for R3 then you give no fucks about their Dandelion-Vysogota buff parties.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I pretty much skip all the NG vs. NG spy fiestas. Any other matchup is much more fun

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I dunno, I rather like the dueling spies myself; it's a rather fun chess match. Philippe works wonders in that matchup in R3; lets you freely play even with both boards full if you can get both out that round.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Ok, this new seasonal event is...something else. Mostly it just makes me miss Arena, though.

When building a deck, note that the transform effect wraps around; your Balls will become 4p cards. Also, when it says "random cards", it means just that; no faction limits here. Everything transforms before your first play, so you can't count on being able to play anything from your deck. A deck crammed full of midrange provision cards seems like a workable approach; I also stuck Roach and Knickers in mine just for fun. Double Cross is basically a free extra random high-provision card, so it's a solid choice here. Play any Assimilate unit you find, as every card you play is usually an Assimilate proc. Similarly, murder any Assimilate units your opponent plays ASAP.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That’s a good idea and I do like this seasonal event as there’s no real way to cheese it. Double Cross is definitely the leader to go with

Haven’t figured out a great strategy yet besides throwing in roach and knickers but playing a scenario each time one is available seems like a good idea

I also think I want to give hidden cache a shot with redanian. Having coins seems like a solid advantage

would also recommend going no duplicates for the Shupe/Redayahs that will pop up in your hand

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 1, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
If you don't mind giving up the Shupe potential and a few extra points from Radeyah, an Enslave 7 deck is actually viable in this mode, which is pretty amusing. (Sadly Enslave 8 is still a few provisions out of reach even with some of the new bronze Tactics... :( )

I've seen some folks suggest avoiding neutrals for Devotion, but that's pretty pointless; the only Devotion abilities that actually provide any value without relying on virtually impossible synergies are the 4p cards, which you don't want to be playing anyway (and which you would only have if you had a Ball in hand before the start of your turn). Roach/Knickers is a guaranteed 6 points in almost every game, more than any Devotion-based ability will give you in this mode unless you get insanely lucky.

Also, if you run NG, run Affan; if you roll a Fisher King or Albrich, that'll be 10-12 points on two bodies.

Also with NG, run Ducal Guards and/or Heavy Cavalry and mulligan them away, in case you roll a Portal. Throw in some other Assimilate units as well if they make sense for the provision mix you're putting together; you might roll an Oniero, Decree, or something like a Roche or Joachim and get one of 'em out that way.

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't put in any 10+ provision cards, in case you roll a Ciri: Nova. You really don't want 10+p cards in your deck anyway as they quickly end up in brick-heavy Scenario territory and then wrap around to lovely bronzes.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 1, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Back to the Dual Casting Seasonal this week, and this deck is still as oppressive as ever:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/176620

Justice is a bit nerfed in that you'll lose out on one Muscle now if you don't have a Miner on the board already (and you'll need one in your deck and must pull it with your first Justice instead of going straight for the Volunteers), but it's still solid enough tempo and thinning, and the rest of the deck is unchanged by the recent patches. Haven't actually finished a game with it yet because everyone keeps forfeiting.

Edit: Ten games in and I still haven't actually been able to play Gord or even finish a game because for some reason people keep quitting when they're only forty or fifty points behind or down by only two or three cards or I Heatwaved their Damien or something... :v: I almost feel bad playing this monstrosity. Almost...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 6, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I tried something similar and got line pocketed to HELL

Double madoc is a no go too. I’ll give this list a shot though it’s slightly different

Ok yea no this is much better than the pile I had. 3 games 3 forfeits

I will say that r2 using double isengims counsel for both hamas may be stronger than holding justice for r2. Use two leader charges and it’s a “have heat wave or lose” skill check right then for Mr. Opponent

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

I will say that r2 using double isengims counsel for both hamas may be stronger than holding justice for r2. Use two leader charges and it’s a “have heat wave or lose” skill check right then for Mr. Opponent

That can definitely work; dual Hamadryads are nasty engines, and you've plenty of ways to continue the Vitality once the leader charge runs out, if needed. Getting your opponent's Heatwave out of 'em is a win as well, if you can manage that; keeps your Gord much safer in R3 and gives you the option of playing him early and saving your own Heatwave for last say if needed.

Pro tip: against NG when playing a Hamadryad from hand, always place it next to another unit to avoid a one-shot Assassination; it will probably still die, but at least you'll force them to spend two specials on the one poor dryad and they won't get any extra value from the second.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Trying out a Swapped justice and Dunca for waters a 5p maybe mahakam defender. Waters seems broken in this mode :allears::rms:

Nope waters is bait. Not worth it

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 8, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yeah, Justice is better than Waters in this deck, as you can really only get a couple Harmony procs at most (with a dorf and your Protector) unless you happen to highroll with your Runestone. In the worst case, Justice on an empty board is still 19 points if the Miner sticks, plus it thins three cheap bronzes from your deck, which is worth more than a few extra Harmony points anyway.

Edit: I suppose you could throw in some elves and hawks and shite or something instead of the Justice-target dorfs for some more Harmony, but then you're just playing a bunch of lovely bronze units from hand for a couple piddly boosts, which is a net negative in this Seasonal.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 8, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
And now back to Power Shift and even more Lippy-induced ragequits than in normal mode. All the provision buffs/nerfs over the past year or so have only left this deck one provision short, so swap the pointless boat for some 4p card (I threw in a Red Haze, because it usually gets decent value with all the big units around, and who doesn't love some more control?) and you're good to go. Only minor downside is that Cerys and Lippy are the same provision these days, so Matta's no longer a guaranteed Cerys, but you can always Oniero for Cerys one way or the other anyway, so it really doesn't matter except in odd edge cases.

Fake edit: Already got off a hilarious Igni when my NR opponent greedily boosted his Nathaniel to the same power as his buffed Defender. How do you *not* see an Igni coming in this mode? :psyduck: Hell, one of the perks of Ursine is that you have a few pokes free to stagger your own units and avoid setting one up, though now with Roach now being 9 and Lippy being 11 that's not as much of an issue these days...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Was waiting for your post before trying a game. Much appreciated

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing a fair amount of draft mode lately and actually really enjoy it.

Also, an opponent made this happen and I had to laugh, it effectively let me win the game. Although to be fair, it never really occured to me that locking would let it live with no armor so at one point I probably would have done the same thing.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Tuned into the Gwent open to see lined pockets vs lined pockets and shut that poo poo off Immediately I mean god drat

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Born in Bexhill posted:

lined pockets vs lined pockets

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
:sad:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Final result from the first open.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Think I'm feeling confident enough about this Season of the Dryad SK deck to publish it. It could maybe still use a bit of tweaking, but it's been very solidly thrashing all those ST engine decks so far.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That deck is great. You are killing these seasonal modes :cheers:

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Trying out dennyk’s seasonal deck. There are only like 4 days left in this season but I’ll give it a go. I haven’t played Gwent in 6 months for whatever reason. Any major changes to be aware of? I heard something about the game designers saying something like, “Do you guys want to min/max or do you want to have fun?” What was that about?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Hitch posted:

Trying out dennyk’s seasonal deck. There are only like 4 days left in this season but I’ll give it a go. I haven’t played Gwent in 6 months for whatever reason. Any major changes to be aware of? I heard something about the game designers saying something like, “Do you guys want to min/max or do you want to have fun?” What was that about?

Seasonal game modes now rotate every week, so you're not all that late to the Seesaw party. :v:

There's been a new expansion (Way of the Witcher) and a few other patches in the past six months, as well as Arena being replaced with Draft mode (which is a poor substitute for Arena silliness, unfortunately). Quite a few new cards and changes to cards and leader abilities. Some of the classic leaders now have their own cards as well. Check the meta reports from Team Leviathan and the like to see what's hot and what's not these days.

That deck is great. You are killing these seasonal modes :cheers:

Thanks! I love coming up with decks for the Seasonal modes; they're just so interesting to build around and figure out how to take maximum advantage of the gimmick.

The upcoming Switcheroo mode (Season of the Cat) is a really interesting one. So the gimmick for this one is that you swap hands with your opponent every two turns. Now "two turns" here means your turn and your opponent's turn, so you play one card, your opponent plays one card, then you swap. So this has a few major implications:

- You will only be able to play half the cards in your hand, and you'll only get to play one card before your opponent gets access to your hand and can take your best remaining card for themselves. This means your first card played absolutely has to be your best one, or else your opponent will just steal it. This also means that you need to have good value proactive plays, as you'll often be going first.

- You cannot pass in R1 or R2. Card advantage doesn't really exist in this mode; if you pass at any point, your opponent can simply keep playing with both your hand and theirs until they're both empty. (Even if you did somehow manage to gain CA, you can only really be half a card up; no matter how many cards you have in your hand, once your opponent empties their hand, your hand gets swapped with their empty one and you auto-pass the next turn...) This means that the deciding round (whether it's R2 or R3) will only be three cards. Short round single card pointslam value is king here.

- Combos are difficult to pull off in this mode, because your opponent can simply steal the second card of your combo and ruin it for you. As a result, decks with lots of complex synergy are difficult to use in this mode. Avoid any combos that require you to play specific card X after you've played card Y, because you'll never pull them off unless your opponent makes a mistake. If you want to run some sort of combo, you need to really dedicate your deck to it so that you have multiple card combinations that can pull off what you're trying to do, too many for your opponent to neutralise by stealing them all.

- Don't run cards that can disrupt your strategy; your opponent will just use them against you. If you're running locks, don't put any Purifies in your deck. If you're depending on Resilient units, don't run Purifies or damage. If you're running engines, or Order cards, don't run locks. You need to carefully evaluate every card you stick in there, even the trash bronzes, to make sure it can't be used against you to disrupt your win condition.

- Cards which stay in your deck are safest in this mode, as your opponent can't steal them. Roach and Knickers are usually good includes, for instance. Bronze thinning cards (and the Witcher trio) can be problematic, however; unless you play them on the first turn, your opponent can just steal the trigger unit and leave you with a deck full of bricks.

Last time this Seasonal came around, this was the deck I put together:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/153028

The premise was to have a few high-powered golds, including potential carryover, and then a bunch of absolute garbage bronzes; ideally you'd draw just one gold (or Dandelion plus a gold) in R1 and slam that down and then your opponent is stuck with a bunch of trash 4p cards while you're stealing all their high-value stuff. Meanwhile the old Lockdown leader ability kept opponents from using their own leaders for big single-turn pointslams (e.g. Hunger -> Detlaff). (You'll also note I failed to heed my own advice when initially building the thing and threw in a Fortune Teller, the mortal enemy of the mighty Phoenix; once I realised my error, I quickly swapped it out for some other harmless poo poo-tier bronze...) It worked really well back then, but with all the changes and new cards since that last Season of the Cat, I don't think it's top of the class anymore, so I've been theorycrafting a couple potential alternatives:

- Viy:
https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/b03c86da7aa4d86300304ed6107b9d25

I think Viy might end up being the top dog bug this go-round, or at least the most popular choice, since everyone knows Viy. With the Lockdown nerf, you'll have those two OH charges at your disposal at some point in the game (especially if you go first; you can drop and eat Viy on turn one without any fear of disruption). You have seven tutors in the deck, effectively, with Onieromancy being the god-tier option. You also have all of the order-based bronze Consume units available, making it very likely you can get one on the board at some point to munch on Viy. The only tricky bit will be the draw; you need to have the right number of tutors in hand (or Oniero) to ensure that you will be able to play and eat Viy at least a couple times in R1 *and* find another tutor to bring him back in R2. You also absolutely must avoid having Viy and Oniero in hand at once, so that last mulligan can be very dangerous. Mirror matches with this deck will be very interesting as well, I think...

- Archgriffin:
https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/81022a3f9ffbf3f733d9b5acae657f67

This deck, on the other hand, could well be the Viy killer, I think. Archgriffin is a card that sees little use in normal mode, but in this mode I think it could well provide *more* carryover than Viy, with far less dependence on getting the right draw and setting up other units. You have five tutors in this deck (six if you count John into AA), but unlike with Viy, you only have to play Archgriffin once per round, so you don't need to have a hand full of tutors to ensure that your Archgriffin can grow. The risk, however, is that Archgriffin lives on the board instead of in the deck and is therefore vulnerable to disruption. Thus the rest of the deck is dedicated to boosting Archgriffin for that sweet sweet carryover and protecting him from locks or Doomed. With luck, you will be able to either get a veil on him or dispose of your opponent's Locks or Dooms before they dispose of all your Purifies. The biggest risk will be on blue coin if the opponent has an unconditional removal card in their opening hand, or if they're going for some sort of hardcore removal deck and have multiple unconditional removals. (Such decks aren't common in this mode, though, as they're too reactive to work well in those short later rounds, and are more likely to backfire than anything else...).

We'll see which one comes out on top, though, or if there are any other nasty strategies that come to mind...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Good news: This Archgriffin deck is indeed ridiculous. :dance:

Bad news: None of my opponents actually get to suffer the full torment of my oppressive 30+ points of carryover in rounds 2 and 3 because the servers are hosed and every game ends in a draw about halfway through. :saddowns:

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks for the info dennyk. Really been enjoying Gwent since I picked it back up a few days ago. Just learned about the prestige system which seems pretty awesome...I'm like level 54 currently so almost to prestige 1. What is the best mode to level? Standard?

I saw the seasonal schedule:

quote:

06.05. - 11.05. Switcheroo

After 2 turns the players switch hands.

11.05. - 18.05. Entrench

Every played unit has resilience.

18.05. - 25.05. Plus One

Whenever you play a unit, spawn a 1-power copy of it at the end of its row.

25.05. - 01.06. Trial of the Grasses

Whenever a unit appears on the board, damage it by 2 then boost it by 4. If it's a Witcher, the damage is not dealt.

01.06. - 08.06. Irresistible Attraction

Whenever you play a non-Spying unit, move a random enemy unit with the same power to the opposite side.

Seems an awful lot to build all those decks given I don't have all the cards yet. I think I'll stick with Standard and only dabble in Seasonal when I find a cheap deck.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Hitch posted:

Thanks for the info dennyk. Really been enjoying Gwent since I picked it back up a few days ago. Just learned about the prestige system which seems pretty awesome...I'm like level 54 currently so almost to prestige 1. What is the best mode to level? Standard?

I saw the seasonal schedule:

Seems an awful lot to build all those decks given I don't have all the cards yet. I think I'll stick with Standard and only dabble in Seasonal when I find a cheap deck.

There's really no need to play Seasonal if you don't want to, other than for a few quests on the Seasonal reward trees (and sometimes in the Journey quests) that require you to play game in Seasonal. Unless you care about getting a particular cosmetic from the monthly rotating reward trees (the ones in the centre of the reward book's main page) that requires one of those quests, you can ignore the Seasonal mode entirely until you have a bigger collection. It can be expensive to build a deck just for that mode, so it's more a thing for us bored veterans to mess around with.

For the Seasonals coming up:

- Entrench can be played with a fairly normal deck by throwing in a few cheap Purify units/specials. Engine decks work best, since having a bunch of engines set up on the board already is good value. NG has an edge thanks to their Assimilate + Purify units (Diviners and Cupbearer), but NR and even SK could work too, if you've the cards to make a decent engine-based deck from those factions.

- Unless they've changed something, Plus One will be utterly ruined by a specialised deck that needs several rather expensive cards that aren't really useful in the normal meta, so you probably want to stay away from that one...

- Trial of the Grasses basically just requires an SK Witcher deck that goes ALL IN on the Witchers. It does require some expensive Witcher units that don't otherwise see much play to be optimal, though. You can probably faff around in it with a bunch of SK bronze Witcher cards and some other good core SK archetype to round it out, if you wanted to; it won't beat an optimised SK Witcher Swarm in the mirror, but it'd do OK against other opponents. NR Witchers is another alternative, if you don't have much in the way of SK cards yet.

- Irresistible Attraction does work best with some non-meta golds (e.g. Rico, Dudu, Gascon: Iron Falcon, Dandelion: Poet, Necromancy), so it can be a bit expensive to build for. You might be able to come up with something clever using cheaper cards, though.

In general, for progressing in the game there's no reason not to play Standard Ranked mode (unless you're in pro level already and need to preserve your MMR, or you're messing about with a deck you know will lose to a decent meta deck for a quest or something). For experience specifically, there are a few Seasonal modes that can actually help you level faster because you either play more cards or the games are shorter, but those aren't going to rotate back around for a while, and the upcoming ones don't have that effect. For daily crowns and such, though, just play Ranked and you'll inevitably work your way up the ladder eventually. You never lose rank levels in Ranked (except at the end of each season), only the mosaic "pieces" in your current level that you have to collect to progress to the next (and you can't even lose those in the lowest few ranks) so there's no reason not to play it most of the time. If you are running some crappy quest deck and don't want to lose pieces, you can uncheck the Ranked box below the Standard mode to play Unranked; you still get all the same XP and crown points and such from Unranked games, but like Seasonal games they don't affect your ladder rank progress at all.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
OK, made a few tweaks, and here's my Switcheroo Archgriffin deck. It is a bit binary, in that if you lose Archgriffin, you probably lose the game. Already had one NG opponent who had too many locks to deal with (including his strategem *and* Imposter, which really put a fork in it), and one Monsters opponent who stole my Villem on the second turn and managed to highroll a loving Heatwave with it (although that one actually turned out to be a really close game despite that; I only lost by a single point in the end...). If Archgriffin lives, there's really nothing that can touch your short-round value, though.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I’ve been playing a NR Shieldwall deck that basically has a few powerful combos: Witcher’s with Keldar, Anseis and Viraxas, Temerian Drummer and Tristan Infantry, and Roegner. There are a lot of synergies between all of them and it’s been fun.

Given this is really my only deck that I’ve been playing I’d like to switch it up again. TLG’s meta report is pre-patch but it sounds like Lined Pockets is needed. Thinking about making an Arachas Swarm deck instead. Any other suggestions? I don’t know nearly enough about the meta and/or card options to feel remotely comfortable building one on my own. Any insights before I just roll a TLG deck that doesn’t appear to have been needed until either Aretuza or TLG release their next meta report (and this marching orders for me - my goal is to break that cycle and be able to counter those).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok this trynet deck is pretty hilarious

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/8387f5a987284e0b20ec254d3317752e

Jam your humans and draug rd 1 create a poo poo ton of revs. Pavetta them back and have a 30 point immune erlin rd 3

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Bit late, I know, but here's my Entrench Seasonal deck:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/225209

Basically just the usual NG Assimilate shenanigans, with a couple surprises. Pretty much every match in this seasonal is either a mirror match or that one rear end in a top hat running Blood Scent who instantly forfeits at the start of every game.

Tomorrow's Seasonal is going to be very...binary, unless CDPR has changed something with one particular interaction.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
OK, CDPR hasn't changed anything, so this deck is still absolute cancer in the Plus One seasonal:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/173200

It actually has a spare provision now (think Living Armor got buffed at some point), so you can swap one of the Talismans for a Stygga Castle if you want. Really doesn't much matter, though; it still dominates R1 in most matchups regardless and then of course the Snowclone combo is still just as untouchable.

Edit: Pro tip: if you're going with the Decoy + Renew combo version, don't be like my mirror opponent and Decoy one of your doomed token Idarrans... :downs:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 18, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Can’t believe they ran that sessional out again

What is even the point

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I'm so horrible at this game. I was playing someone who appeared to have a basic starter deck and I'm thinking I have this game in the bag. I win Round 1 and get to Round 2 a card down. I have a pretty strong hand at this point and figure I'll throw away a basic card not needed for my combos to see if I can force a strong trade. He ends up playing a very strong card, which I take as an absolute win, at which point I pass. He then begins to play not just 1 but 2 more cards overall in the round. I smugly think...this poor newbie doesn't know what he's doing -- he's jus throwing away cards!

Then we get to the start of round 3 and I realize this guy has all 10 cards to start the round! Holy poo poo...he was throwing away cards he didn't want to take a chance on coming back up during the Round 3 pick. Genius!

Anyways, I learned something from him that's probably extremely basic. Total card count matters.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Can’t believe they ran that sessional out again

What is even the point

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. Duh!

Also it's fun to go up against opponents who built counter-decks and try to beat 'em anyway. So far I'm 22 for 23, with my only loss being to some random SK deck because I not only missed the combo entirely, I had overall horrible draws in all three rounds in general, and wound up a few points behind in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
For the Trial of the Grasses Seasonal that starts tomorrow, this deck should still work great:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/189040

Only changes:

- The deck now has a couple spare provisions thanks to various tweaks, so you can swap a Protector for Berengar for a nice extra pointslam.

- Quartermasters now have Zeal, so NG poses no threat to you anymore (not that it ever really did anyway).

So yeah, basically this deck should still crush everything, and Sukrus + Arnaghad should be as hilarious as always.

Finished up 36 for 38 with Snowclone this week. Finally got someone in a mirror match who didn't forfeit instantly (because all those other fellow cheesers can't take a dose of their own medicine, the wusses...) and we both had some bad draws and didn't actually get the Snowclone combo off (I never saw Idarran, and I think he missed his Renew after playing Idarran-Yen early in R1), but he did manage to beat me in the end; it was actually quite a fun match.