Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ShowTime posted:

Turns out 9AM EST actually is the start time of the open beta. 9PM CEST is just their stream.

OPEN BETA IS LIVE!

1.2gb patch. Log in to GOG Galaxy to download.

I'm assuming this is only the case for people who were already in the closed beta? Because I can't see anywhere to sign up or download the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ShowTime posted:

Yea it's currently coming out that only closed beta players are able to get into open beta. I suspect all players will be able to get in later.

Edit: Actually you can now get in: https://www.playgwent.com/en/

Nah you're just lucky. Watching Noxious stream, hearing from others and personal experience, it's more like 1 in 25 for legendaries. You just got super lucky. I opened 168 kegs and got 7 legendaries. 37 epics though.

Ok that button wasn't there twenty minutes ago. Thanks.

belt posted:

I had a link to download the open beta on the playgwent.com website and I wasn't in closed beta.

Edit : Nevermind. Says not authorized when I try to launch from GoG galaxy.

I have to go to work anyways, so hopefully it's all up and running by the time I get home.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Edit: And the cinematic trailer, where Geralt and Ciri cap some fools that were trying to spoil their wizard poker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yu7FVZOyAo

Um excuse me but Nilfgaardian soldiers would never assault Ciri and furthermore

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Enjoying the game, and managed to scrape together enough cards to build a halfway decent Skellige deck (not a good deck, but serviceable), but man, the keyword descriptions in this game are not super helpful. I read them but it's often not clear how a card is going to work until I actually lay it down in a match.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Megazver posted:

If you keep holding the mouse over a card, eventually it shows the definitions of the keywords.

Yes, that's what I meant. I read the definitions but it still doesn't always communicate the card's function well. Add in that terms on the cards like "Cursed" and "Loyal/Disloyal" are never really explained by the definitions or the tutorial and I can see quite a bit of potential confusion for someone new to the game. Definitely increases the entry barrier.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

This Skellige self damage/rez deck looks interesting vs all the weather decks. Brokvar hunters just look brutal against all the weather decks out there, since you end up -gaining- strength off the backs of the gold cards and frost.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18333-greyboxers-viking-metal-warriors

Don't have all of these cards but I just tested this build with most of the parts and 3 wins in a row so far. Once against a monster player spamming frost.

Not a hard counter to a weather deck but it can hold its own.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

Yeah I'm 100 scraps away from crafting Geralt:Igni (he's so good in so many other decks too...) and then I'm gonna give it a spin with a couple of subs, like the one for wild boar of the sea.

e: SuperJJ just queued into a guy playing it and lost to a budget version that played Triss and no other golds in the game he beat SuperJJ, on top of no clear skies or weather mage. "This deck looks super strong. It's exciting to see a deck that looks stronger than your own! Morkvarg and Olgierd, just like the good old days..."

Longships + Hunters are just brutal. He even lost an 11 strength hunter to a vico medic and easily won the round :v:

I don't have any of those golds so I'm running Triss, Zoltan: Animal Tamer, Yenn and Coral. Running the bronze Light Longship instead of Wild Boar, and Cleaver in place of Donar.

Still wrecking everything.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

CJ posted:

The Savage Bear does a lot of work in the right matchups. Against Nilfgaard it denies their medics, agaisnt Skellige it denies their medics which often completely cripples them, against monsters it gets a poo poo load of value against consume decks and shits all over harpies. I love watching them play a harpy, lose all the eggs and have the harpies that spawn take 2 damage, then watching the Elder God dejectedly eat a bunch of 2 strength crap.

Yeah the bear has been MVP of a couple games already. Just wrecked a queensguard deck with it. He killed my bear twice but my entire hand in the final round was resurrection cards.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

So far my biggest complaint with this is that getting to ranked play is taking forever. They should up the experience rewards.

Also my Skellige Brokvar Hunter deck laughs at your weather decks. Go ahead and hit me with some frost, it only makes my hunters stronger for when I resurrect them in round 3.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Double Bill posted:

There's no counter to Morkvarg yet at least. I mean technically locks counter him, but the current deck has 3-4 ways of unlocking him.

So far the only real counter to my Morkvarg deck is another Morkvarg deck with better golds.

A monster deck tried to counter by stealing my Mork with a Succubus, but they couldn't combo it with anything and I was still able to use their weather to buff my hunters up to 25+.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

You get more exp if you win.

I've played dozens of games at this point and have lost a handful of times in the past week and I'm only level 8.

Maybe the EXP gain is bugged or maybe they think you need to play a few hundred games before you're ready for ranked, I dunno. It's lovely regardless.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Is there any way to see what something's actual strength is when it's been boosted/damaged, or do I just need to try and keep track of it in my head? Not always sure what the best bang for the buck is on resetting something.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I pulled Morkvarg. Is there A deck I can make that utilizes him with about 1600 scraps? I don't think I have many other power silvers/golds for Skellige.

He pairs REAL well with Wild Boar of the Sea, which would take about half of your scraps. Put Brokvar Hunters in. You pull out Mork with Crach an Craite, put Wild Boar down to buff him, put another card to the right of Wild Boar to get damaged by it, and Brokvar Hunter next to that to get buffed by the card taking damage. Have three priestesses for rezzing your super hunter(s) in rounds 2/3.

Throw in some savage bears to completely neuter vico medics and enemy priestesses and some shieldsmiths for extra strength buffing and you've got a deck. Add in some Mardoeme's for resetting super-boosted cards and bloodcurdling roar for making bears out of your 1 strength units or clearing cow carcasses. Cleaver for unlock/lock or Donar if you have him.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

It looks like i'm lacking most of the lesser cards to make this deck unfortunately, no bears or hunters. I really wish they would reduce the cost of crafting non-silver and gold cards, it seems like a waste.

Seems like if I want a competitive deck, i'll need to mill stock stuff, not sure if I want to do that.

Mork works in any skellige deck, really. He's a great card regardless of whether or not you get strong synergy going. Just throw together what you have and add in the stronger cards as you find/craft them.

The good news is that there aren't a ton of cards yet so it won't take too long to grind up a decent stable of cards. I don't recommend milling down your other factions unless you know for sure you won't want to play them in the future.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah it's a beta and we don't know what the meta will be next week or next month or next year, so tossing all of those cards that you don't want now will suck if the next patch makes them cards you want.

Just make whatever deck and accept the fact that you'll run into a few whales with a fully stacked deck they bought. And enjoy when you beat them with your scrub-tier deck because they have no idea how to play

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

My understanding is that they don't like working on multiple large projects, so the only big thing they should have in the pipeline is Cyberpunk, to be released who the gently caress knows when.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

Succubus is undercover op. If you pull their Morkvarg that game is over.

I've won after having my Mork stolen, but that was their fault for dropping frost on my hunters and letting them get huge.

Letho is potentially game over, though, since it usually banishes my mork AND possibly two or three other cards i was working on buffing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

You can now preinstall Thronebreaker through GOG Galaxy. I'm actually excited about a game with card battles, what a world.

Edit: You can click play once it installs, but all you get is this image:

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 22, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Thronebreaker is fun and the card puzzles are enjoyable. In fact I'm finding the puzzles and weird scenarios way more enjoyable than regular card matches against the AI. The story and voice acting is solid so far, too.

Just logged into Gwent and after completing the tutorial and opening 20 kegs, I now have to decide what I want to do with my 70,000(!) scrap. Gonna sleep on that one.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I haven't played this in forever and it seems like they're still intent on having vague descriptions in as many places as possible so someone help me out here.

What constitutes a "special card?" Is that any non-unit card or just spells, or what?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Nibble posted:

Just the one-shot effect cards. Every card is either a unit, artifact, or special card.

Cool, thanks. Be nice if the game had a glossary or something.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah the difficulty curve is a mess. I'm in the final act and the puzzles and combat are getting easier, if anything. Act 4 was a long slog of the same monster/Nilfgaard battles over and over again with very little variety and the puzzles are all much more straighforward. Made me feel like they were running out of ideas to challenge the player.

Gwent just doesn't feel capable of the sort of variety that would make a game like this really tick. The story, writing, and acting are generally top notch, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
1. a puzzle fight with a water hag
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.

It's actually pretty buggy. Not gamebreaking or anything, but lots of little issues. There's a number of cards that just don't work like their text says, sometimes things won't fire correctly, etc. Plus certain cards can completely bypass what are meant to be challenging fights (one of the Mahakam Dwarf cards can completely neuter encounters with high value enemies).

Of course it mostly doesn't matter because like mentioned above the game is easy no matter what happens.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Ok just finished Thronebreaker. Fun game overall, if a bit too easy. Generally the puzzles and scenarios with special rules are more enjoyable than the actual card game, which is slow, boring, and incredibly easy. Story and writing are great, though I did get a little tired of literally every decision Meve makes being the wrong one in one way or another. Feels like you're always waiting to see how her latest choice is going to bite her in the rear end. I get the lesser evil thing they were going for, but it gets a little repetitive/predictable.

The game is kind of buggy, as well. I mentioned the cards that don't do what they say before, but the the game also occasionally hangs/crashes, cutscenes don't play properly, and typos are everywhere. There's a few achievements that I think are bugged, as well. Might be worth waiting for a patch or two if you're on the fence about getting it.

Overall: Good game, worth playing. Maybe wait for a sale since it's only 30 hours and has limited replay value.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Affi posted:

So is thronebreaker any good if you liked gwent and kinda think it looks fun?

It's alright. Puzzles are mostly entertaining and the story is generally good with a small amount of reactivity. However the difficulty is non-existent and the game is actually weakest when it's time to do three rounds of regular Gwent, to the point I would audibly groan when the words "Standard Battle" popped up on screen. The rounds take forever and you know you'll just stomp the AI so it starts to feel pointless.

Conclusion: I'd wait for a patch to fix the most glaring bugs, and probably a sale because you won't get more than maybe 30 hours out of it and it lacks significant replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Buller posted:

Production value is insane though, everything but the gameplay is very well made.

Voice acting, animations, card animations and effects, music, all gold. Actually playing Gwent? Ehhhhhhhh no thanks.