Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think the launch stream's at 9 CEST, which is like... 3 pm EST?

But gently caress yeah I'm hype for tomorrow, I think I got 150 kegs to crack. That'll take me a solid 2 hours I bet :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

https://twitter.com/coL_Merchant/status/867108112016211968

For those who want pretty pictures moving this is how much it will cost your wallet.

you can just straight buy the dust? that's genius

No Mods No Masters posted:

Overall I like the gwent pack opening system a lot, but it's going to suck when opening tomorrow and you hit a hard decision without a good reference for what the new meta is like. Pack anxiety :smith:

my plan is just "when in doubt, pick skellige then nilfgaard"

if I have some nightmare choice between skellige cards, I'll probably go with whatever plays well in discard. I loved discard Skellige and it makes me happy to see Bran back in action.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

General Morden posted:

what's with the weird prices

why not just $4.99 and so on

might be some hosed up conversion due to euro or canadian prices

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Put a link to Gwent streamers in the OP? When I'm desperate and lifecoach isn't on... I guess I'll watch noxious or ppd urgh.

swim's good

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

frajaq posted:

Cannot wait to get my face smashed by closed beta veterans full of kegs when the MMR resets

:yeah:

If it wasn't for this OW event, I'd be losing my mind anticipating this tomorrow morning

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

What the hell, the deck management tutorial for 100 ore or w/e just had me transmute a card except I think it actually used up 100 meteorite powder

I got the card, and a premium clear skies isn't the worst, but...

e: maybe I'm too tired and it was just the 100 powder it gives you for the tutorial. :iiam:

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

After about 60 kegs I've gotten ~12 or so epic choices, another 10 or so that weren't actual choices, and 2 legendary choices.

e: And then I got a Triss: Butterfly as a non-choice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The challenges seem pretty dece so far. Beating up the skellige challenges using the most awful Skellige deck. Shame they don't give exp, I should probably hit up the matchmaker for for level 3 sooner rather than later so I can actually mill crap :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Very first multiplayer game, opponent had 4 non-basic legendaries and lost, didn't GG :allears:

The salt's alive and well!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Drought's really loving strong, even after the change

Haha, try out Gremist in your discard deck ShowTime. He seems like one of the better of the cycle of silver mages with 3 spells attached; I'm turning so many lovely NG spies into bears.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hit level 3. You CAN mill leaders, but they're legendary so you're gonna pay out the rear end to re craft them. Ended up with almost 3k scrap from my 125 kegs, still got 8 or so free kegs to collect when I finish the challenges for scrap. Pretty satisfying collection too; netted all commons, almost all rares, a good amount of epics, six legendaries, and a buttload of premiums... probably 20 or so, including a legendary premium and three epic premiums.

You get a good amount of powder back from milling premium commons/etc, so if there's a leader/legendaries/etc you really want to turn premium, you can probably do it fairly quickly. Already made 30 powder just getting to level 3 too, so that's nice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Level up rewards seem to only be kegs, scraps, meteorite powder, and random (?) cards. No more free ciri etc I guess.

Rank up rewards also seem to have been nerfed? I recall getting 800 scraps at some point in closed beta, now it mostly just scales up at 1 keg, 25 scrap, or 100 powder at each individual rank up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Game's very interesting but holy poo poo are card abilities explained badly.

Yeah, the keyword system and actual tooltips are a step up from closed beta, but it feels very MTGish where I have to sit and read over how Brave works each time I see it until it's ingrained in my memory.

Only 3 leaders left to beat to finish unlocking all of them, and discard Skellige is whomping on every AI so far except Dagon, who forced me to actually put some clear skies and armorsmiths in my deck. Monster weaaattheeeerrr!! :argh:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/playgwent/status/867429598413324288

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

So weather is still really good and is kicking my rear end every game it's played in. And that's not even Drought/Rag like expected.

Yeah Gremist is already auto-include in every Skellige deck I play just for the clutch clear skies, and being able to bounce him with sigrfrida is too good when it's a straight weather deck. Weather also adds a lot of value to all the multi-row cards, but then sometimes you play into drought/rag...

I'll probably put together a weather monsters deck at this rate though, weather seems stronger than it did before the change but maybe I need to play it and learn the weaknesses.

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

frajaq posted:

Just to be clear, Ciri is still a level-up reward correct?

Unless the generic "card"s on the rewards table are the old level up rewards of a specific cards, maybe not. No way to know for a few weeks until people level up again. I'd probably take the Ciri either way.

e: She used to be a level 18 reward, the new reward at 18 is a keg. There is "1x cards" at level 20, but you're probably super safe to grab that Ciri.

Minera fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

What do I put in a northern realms artillery deck to make it not suck? It can't do huge swings unless the enemy lets me set up for ages and if that doesn't happen I'm stuck playing 2/4's that do maybe 2 damage most of the time.

Pick 1-2 siege and 1 type of crew for them at most, I think. Use them as tools in a greater control deck. If you run all of them, their lower base stats will suffer versus all the weather effects out there and you'll experience what it sounds like you already did, with all your combo pieces dying one by one. I can see a -looot- of potential in both of the Ballistas for big weather super slams though, build those as pieces in a big control shell? Constantly keeping your opponent on their toes about Scorch or weather effects cleaving a whole row sounds pretty fun.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the best part of Morkvarg was actually the noises the card made, not the card's power level

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

drat, Swim's queensguard deck is really strong. I had no idea that you could use bears to kill vicovaro medics before they hit the field. I'll try them out in a regular discard deck some time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

There wasn't any scrap refunds for changed cards in the closed beta, right? I wonder if that's gonna change now; I'd craft a rag nar roog but I'm almost expecting it to get nerfed considering almost every deck seems to have it :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Queensguard nerf is fine as long as it's going with some kind of an indirect buff to make it less feast or famine against nilfgaard and monsters. Pulling 20-30 power turn 1 round 3 every game isn't good, but nor is getting super slammed by medics and consume and losing every game either. :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

General Morden posted:

i'll just say this as a player who has been playing since really early closed beta

i can tell that the weather mechanic as a whole is giving CDPR a lot of problems

it's been changed so much (it's been on every spectrum of effectiveness, from being terrible to extremely powerful)

i think the way that it is now is somewhere in the middle in terms of overall power and effectiveness

OTOH, they were able to tell when something flat out wasn't working or a good idea, and drop it entirely (the faction buffs).

I think weather is pretty close to being in a great spot right now, it's mostly the gold weather cards that are outright too strong. Even if you answer them immediately, you lost 6-9 power and a turn. And if you weren't spreading your units on row, you get blown out by normal weather!

Weather is kind of important, because without it, you might as well drop the whole row mechanic entirely, and so much of the game's depth is lost. I think they're on the right track, at least.

Minera fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 26, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Is there some place I can check if the servers are up? I tried logging in since yesterday but it was only a couple times so I figured it might be on their end.

Did you update to 0.9 or whatever the open beta version is? Restart your GoG if not. It's been online with no downtime since yesterday morning.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Yeah, I only installed Gwent after it went into open beta, and I've since verified the file integrity and that didn't update it to a newer version. I've also had my PC off multiple times since then, and I checked that Gwent.exe isn't blocked on my system for whatever reason.

I guess it just straight up doesn't work for me, then. :sigh:

That's weird. Only other ideas I'd have would be to run Gwent with and without gog galaxy open, and then try contacting support.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I've been playing this deck and it's a lot of fun. Great against the current meta of lots of Skellige discard, Nilfgaard reveal/spy and Monster consume.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

I didn't write much of a guide and maybe will later after more playtesting. It's currently at above a 70% winrate. It basically opens up early, thins the poo poo out of the deck and leaves you with the absolute best of the best cards available to deal with whatever they play. Rot Tossers are amazing at just making your opponent either lose units or use one of their removals to deal with the carcass. Between the Scorch, Igni and Peter, any big unit they play can get dealt with. Tibor is basically your finisher and you can very reliably end the game with just 1-2 units left in the deck. Could probably get 1 first light and the knights are just there as a big unit, but if I had a better idea of what to use for a big swing i'd put those in.

This Skellige self damage/rez deck looks interesting vs all the weather decks. Brokvar hunters just look brutal against all the weather decks out there, since you end up -gaining- strength off the backs of the gold cards and frost.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18333-greyboxers-viking-metal-warriors

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Boy, super fun losing over and over again at level 4 against people with solid gold borders on their avatar that have a badass deck from opening a million kegs and I'm basically using the starter deck

It -should- clear up in a few days, as the closed beta crowd levels up and moves on to ranked and lower ranks return to being mostly new accounts.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

This is still the beta, more changes are coming and a lot more cards, so it's likely that there won't be scrap refunds.

Yeah I looked into it when I asked the other day, and CDPR's official reply on the topic (at the time, it was closed beta) was that they couldn't afford to do scrap refunds and have large and frequent total card overhauls as often as they do. Maybe post beta, but for now it's staying as it is. Completely understandable, and I'm willing to look the other way as long as it's in beta, but it sucks cuz I'd craft RNR right away too.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Don't have all of these cards but I just tested this build with most of the parts and 3 wins in a row so far. Once against a monster player spamming frost.

Not a hard counter to a weather deck but it can hold its own.

Yeah I'm 100 scraps away from crafting Geralt:Igni (he's so good in so many other decks too...) and then I'm gonna give it a spin with a couple of subs, like the one for wild boar of the sea.

e: SuperJJ just queued into a guy playing it and lost to a budget version that played Triss and no other golds in the game he beat SuperJJ, on top of no clear skies or weather mage. "This deck looks super strong. It's exciting to see a deck that looks stronger than your own! Morkvarg and Olgierd, just like the good old days..."

Longships + Hunters are just brutal. He even lost an 11 strength hunter to a vico medic and easily won the round :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 26, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

They probably should have implemented some sane limit on the number of kegs you could carry over from closed beta. Like 50 or something. Maybe 100 at the most. I guess you could break the limit if you actually bought more than that with cash but that can't be many people.

Having closed beta folks opening 200+ kegs on day 1 of open beta and being thrown in the pool with the noobs is just incredibly lol.

Having a special mming pool for actual newbies vs closed beta veterans would've been a good idea, yeah. Probably a worthwhile investment going forward too, but eh

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Meallan posted:

So, about Octovist. How is the card after it transforms and returns to your hand? Have no idea what the Exhausted actually does.

What Goblin said. I haven't seen him much since the patch (stiff competition among silvers, I guess) but he's pretty sweet with the new mulligan system. Use him for mega value in a round you plan to lose and enjoy trading him away next round for a real card on top of card advantage!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

I do think the game could give out ~20 packs to new players on top of the basic cards a.) because the starter cards are a little thin and b.) it would allow for more variation of the cards new players would see.

If there's a problem with their system it's that meteorite dust is too cheap and the game will have trouble monetizing its super whales. There are crazy people in HS and Shadowverse who spend >$10,000 to bling out as much as they can (in the case of SV, it is almost impossible to have everything premium for any sum) and for 1k-2k you'll have every card in gwent in premium. This is totally irrelevant to anyone playing the game ofc.

I think the game may be some kind of a loss leader or sorts, to attract more people to gog galaxy. Like they'll make a ton of money b/c card game are cheap as poo poo to produce, but I think the intent is to try and get that core audience on gog galaxy so they can actually use it for other things and go "oh hey there's people using our product sell games on gog"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDflJWDoAa4

a great shitpost

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I was angry as gently caress about weather too, but after playing more I think we're overestimating the effect of RNR on the game here. And Weather Monsters isn't top tier at all, it's just more frequent at low ranks. I'm rank 9 and I'm not seeing it as often, now it's usually either Spy Nilfgaard, Buff Skellige, Consume Monsters, Blue Stripes NR and a bunch of weird Sco'iatael decks. That said, I am playing Weather Monsters, but with a few techs to counter Nilfgaard and Skellige decks that put a bunch of big boys on the board.

RNR is probably still a bit too strong but we're in the first days of the open and they have showed fantastic reaction times so far, so if that becomes a problem I'm confident we'll see nerfs/counters very soon.

All the rnr/drought havers are in ranked, dont worry. It hasnt gone anywhere.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Imperial Golems are most definitely the strongest bronze unit in Nilfgaard. Almost certainly gonna get changed too, but they are only bronze so it's no big deal. Add 9 strength to the board in 3 different units and thinning out your deck by 3 is great. Especially with John Calveit. Your first or second turn basically turns into a 14-23 point play. Hitting that The Guardian you were looking for off him feels so good.

Which is another great addition to add to your deck. The Guardian is a big chunk of strength, but basically blanks out your opponents next draws, which is kind of the point of a control deck anyway.

Pretty much how I feel every game where ST and Nilf don't mess up the mulligan and go first

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveBreakableAnteaterThunBeast

Kawabata posted:

I'm rank 9, not level 9. Yes I'm seeing RNR and droughts from time to time but they aren't ruining my experience at all. I find Skellige is much more aggravating against my deck but still not Hearthstone unfair.

That said I've been blessed by lady luck and got Ciri, Caranthir and Ge'els in the first 20 or so kegs so I'm basically climbing with a legit decent Weather deck, only missing the Witches and Caretaker. I only lost once from 6 to 9.

Ah. My experience is still seeing it almost every game, but it can depend on what deck you yourself are playing on if they'll actually play it or not, since people are better at playing and playing around rnr/drought. People will sit on RNR for a long time if I get a big morkvarg on the board, since they know it'll just get decoyed and I'm not gonna fill the other rows if I can't help it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The thing with Morkvarg, and the NG/ST deploy swings, is that you have to be willing to play some card advantage down now. There's no more last turn d-bomb/weather/etc to blow you out so card advantage isn't as amazing as it was in CB.

I got dunked by a Monster playing willing to play ... it was 3 CA down by baiting me to pass while I was 20 str up in round 1, I think? Then he locks Morkvarg, kills it, and steals it with Caretaker to win round 1, then ended up winning round 2 as well when I failed to bounce back after blowing too many buffs on Morkvarg in round 1.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

He also crushes Queensguard, which otherwise techs itself vico medics, so he's decent for that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like Morkvarg should just be golden. Maybe make Cerys silver to compensate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Based on today's experience: lock him after he eats a billion strengthens, kill, caretaker him onto your own board which also unlocks him. :v:

Edit: holy poo poo, was that you Minrad? :laffo:

Haha, it might have been! Did you griffin an Olgierd too? I got wrecked pretty hard and fast, no argument there :v:

A friend just picked up 60 packs and pulled Coral, Cerys, and RNR on top of every rare and half the epics in the standard queensguard deck right now. I'm mildly jealous.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The Gorp posted:

I did it. I beat 4 Clear Skies in a single game.
Fun fact about this deck, you never get a Good Game bonus after the round.

that d-bomb is filthy

you're a sick man

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The new anti-weather, don't play minions, kinda sorta a meme deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

I wonder how they'll nerf Queensguard. Losing 3 power(1 each) isn't enough but losing 6(2 each) might be too much. I guess maybe remove their Veteran ability? So they'd be the same strength in round 1, 3 less round 2, and 6 less round 3.

Maybe leave them as is, but each queensguard summons 1 other queensguard rather than all of them?

Hitting them for 2 but buffing cerys some small amount to compensate would also be okay

I spend 5 or so games playtesting a discard skellige deck revolving around ciri:dash and man, it's just an inferior queensguard. You get really strong turn 1/2s thanks to longships and raiders, but it has no way to close out a game and ciri certainly isn't doing it since half the time she doesn't show up and even best case scenario she ends up at 15 or 16 str. I should probably give up on my dream of making ciri:dash work. :v:

That said, Discard Skellige seems like it has potential and is straight forward to play. Just not sure what silvers and golds it needs to best tie it together. Restore is so terrible now. :(