Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

heckyeahpathy posted:

It's still not great if the QG deck plays smart. My QG deck has very few other melee cards besides the bears, so if I get in a position where I don't have Gremist or a clear weather in hand I just play the QG as late as possible in the round.

You can keep other rows under frost as well though. I don't know, QG is one of the few matchups I feel pretty good about with my weather monsters. Certainly a lot better than morkvarg damage decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the best way to deal with Tibor?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I slotted in a D-Bomb, thanks for that suggestion. That also helped against the Reavers deck.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

King Pawn posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm bad at this game :saddowns: If I recorded myself playing a game and posted it up, would anyone be willing to review it? We used to do this semi-regularly in the Hearthstone threads but maybe it's harder for Gwent..

I'm all for this, I'm pretty bad too. I liked it when we did it in the early HS threads, that was really helpful. And this game is a lot more difficult in all honesty.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
wait morenn damages through shield? :thunk:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
tomorrow or monday seems to be the common assumption w.r.t. patch timing

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Caretaker is loving great, he was the first Legendary I crafted and he upped my winrate considerably.

I gotta say though, slotting in that Dimeritium Bomb was the best decision I've made so far. If I can manage to go into the 3rd round with card advantage and DB in hand, I am going to win against most decks. Especially Reavers, Swim's disgustingly annoying Skellige Axe damage deck, any Tibor decks and presumably Kayran finishers, although I don't think I've actually seen any so far. Would be good against ScoiaSpell as well, but that deck wrecks me regardless.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dropbear posted:

I've had a lot of fun with my Unseen Elder devour deck; can't wait for the patch since a lot of the cards in it will get boosted. Any suggestions to this? Golds are obviously unoptimal, but I don't have the Kayrans etc. yet.

It's missing 1 silver. Not sure what to put in (the neutral lock-dwarf?), or what to take out (one ghoul probably).

Not sure if 2 or 3 nekker warriors is better; probably just 2? If I get only one in my starting hand I can dupe it with the Operator. Some games I've played 4+ warriors (operator, drawing one from the opponent with Caretaker) but then it gets tricky to eat them all properly. Might be worth it to just replace Operator, since it can't really help much with the other cards.

I also wonder if keeping 2 nekkers in your opening hand is generally worth it - if I keep only one and it gets locked & I don't draw another the main punch of the deck is gone, but if it doesn't get locked the backup one is pretty much just taking space until round 3.

Ghouls are a bit ehh. They boost the nekkers, but usually the random devour lands them around 6-9 power. What would be a good replacement for these? Wild hunt riders? Then again, the devour by itself might be worth them, hard to say.

The top row gets almost everything, so the archgriffons are handy in clearing weathers from it, and I can just ignore the other rows. Igni plays hell on it, though.

EDIT: As RatHat said, this melts Skellige. Eating their graveyard with ghouls & katakans & the caretaker has given me all of the Skellige games for a while now. :unsmigghh:

your missing silver is grave hag, and you should absolutely be running all three celaeno harpies. personally i also think devour decks without neckers are better than ones with them, but that's really up to you. devour decks basically need arachas behemoths though, i really don't think the archetype works that well without them.

for a devour deck, i'd probably start with a bronze base of something like this and then play a couple of games and see how it works out:
2x ekimmara
3x celaeno harpy
3x arachas
2x vran warrior (not super sure about these tbh)
2x arachas behemoth
1x archgriffin
1x first light
1x bloodcurdling roar
the idea is to use the arachas as your version of imperial golems. get a behemoth out at the start of r1, then trigger the consume effect, the behemoth spawns one arachas, which summons all three that are in your deck.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dropbear posted:

Thanks! I really should craft a grave hag, true. The first versions of the deck I tried had Arachas & Behemoths, but removing them seemed to improve my winrate; mulliganing the spiders made getting a consistent starting hand a mess (might just be luck though). The third harpy might be worth it too; it gets tricky to eat all the eggs (this is pretty focused on pumping out & eating Nekkers), but at least the uneaten ones carry over anyways.

I'll fiddle around with it some more. Deckbuilding in this seems surprisingly complex; at times it really is tough to tell what would be an improvement over something else.

it really is, and i fully admit i haven't really played around with the consume archetype too much yet, so i might be wrong about those things! the only thing i'm sure about is that grave hag is good, especially now while she still has the bug that using her ability has an internal consume trigger, so it activates arachas behemoth and nekkers. :eng101:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
for the record I meant water hag in my earlier posts, but i think people got that. grave hag is good pretty much only in decks that build around her. the best monster silvers are probably water hag and fiend.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

The silver elemental is much better than the fiend. And of course the Crones are probably too good to the point they honestly limit Monster's silver slots and picks.

you mean the fire elemental? that card is not better than fiend in any way. fiend is really, really good.

edit: and going to get better after the patch if they actually buff fiend to 7 points.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Seedge posted:

My consume deck does pretty well with this:

3 x Nekker
3 x Celeano Harpy
3 Vran Warrior
3 x Arachas Behemoth
3 x Arachas
2 x Ekimarra
2 x Clear Skies

Grave Hag
Water Hag
Decoy
Olgierd
Fiend
Insect Nest (a fourth behemoth, really)

Kayran
Caranthir
Triss Butterfly
Caretaker

I think that's about it. Triss is wonderful to either make huge eggs to munch, or boost six spiders. I normally can tank weather with tactical eats.

that's a 29 card deck. don't play more than 25 cards.

edit: unless you have a superior draw mechanism. i actually think there might be some good nilfgaard decks with more than 25 cards, but for everyone else it just makes the deck more inconsistent

botany fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
isn't the stream supposed to be soon? can't find anything on their twitter.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
turns out i'm blind! thanks!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah that was all i really wanted to know, dammit :|

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah I'm not feeling super good about my monsters here :chloe:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What?! No! How!!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

King Pawn posted:

Why do people always leave Crones so late? A 20 power swing in round 1 is really nice and it has the added benefit of not loving up your later mulligans. Am I missing something?

cause you still need to win round three, and monster decks that crone late don't typically have a big point generator to close games out. on the other hand, monster bronzes are really good so most of the time you should be able to win round one without using crones anyway.

in other news, is regis just an auto-win against the scoiatel spell decks? because it felt like it :D

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
is there a standard way to play regis:vamp? at first glance it seems like you can just play him straight away first round, but i don't know if there's a reason that's bad.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Most of those aren't broken, it's just people misunderstanding how they work.

that's because activation order is really unintuitive in this game

in other news, i hate the loving bears. nothing like sitting on three caelano harpies in your opening hand, and the first thing on the board is a bear.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Subvisual Haze posted:

Why even have the numerical ambiguity if one is functionally a 1 turn reaction time and the other is a 2 turn reaction time? I mean I'll be the first to confess to being a knuckledragging illiterate card game plebian, but a more functionally intuitive description would seem like a net boon to everyone?

what would that look like? the difference between "does stuff at turn start" and "does stuff at turn end" is pretty important. imagine weathers triggering at turn end so you can pull your units out of the way /clear the weather before they get hit. and if you have that difference, you still want different timers obviously. i'm all for clearer UI (why can i still not see my cards during the mulligan phase if my opponent is still picking ffs) but the gameplay elements should absolutely function the way they do now.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Bizarro Kale posted:

There's a trick to get around this, if you hover over a card in the graveyard menu and hold Tab the menu will hide and you can see the card on the right of the board - highlighted red if in their graveyard or blue if in your graveyard.

:eyepop: the gently caress

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Gorp posted:

It's viable, but I would warn against it.
You need to have superb piloting skills, no decision should be made without 5 seconds of thinking the choice through. You need to be prepared to play entirely reactively and to know your matchups if you want to stand a chance with it.

the variation that runs witchers is slightly easier to pilot since it has more proactive options. it's still not the easiest deck though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
question about bekker's twisted mirror: if there are multiple lowest units in the game, it should be random which one gets the buff right? or does the game prioritize your opponents units somehow? because i just lost two games in a row where my opponent had one really high unit and one unit at 1 strength and i had three 1 strength units on the board neither of which got the buff. i normally don't get mad at video games but that poo poo tilts me like nothing else.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Gorp posted:

It prioritizes same-side swaps.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Darke GBF posted:

It definitely doesn't do that. It will prioritize same side swaps over damage. Earliest played unit is the priority if a same side swap isn't possible (ie - if you play a harpy after they rot tosser you and then you Bekker's and it's between the cow carcass and the harpy egg, it'll buff the cow carcass).

i just had a situation where i had 4 harpy eggs on the board, my opponent had a 14 strength johnny. opponent plays a rot tosser, i play bekker's. gonna let you guess what happened.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think weather is fine actually :shrug: don't really see the need to change it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i legitimately didn't know the different factions had different music lol

because (a) i turn that poo poo off in any game real quick and (b) i only have the cards to make monsters decks, so that's what i've been playing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
nice to see that the graphical bugs are still in the game :chloe:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
alright, i think i'm done with this game for a while. aside from the bugs, the meta right now is just extremely bad and i'm not having fun. it's getting to the point where the main interesting thing to figure out is which one of the two main skellige decks my opponent is running. a meta that makes me actually miss playing against those loving scoiaspell decks is not in a good place. see you all next patch i guess.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lester Shy posted:

Shouldn't Savage Bear ping a Succubus target when it moves to the enemy's side of the board?

no, the succubus target gets moved, not played. bear only damages targets that enter the game.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
royal decree is a good card actually.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

EvanTH posted:

what do you mean "actually" i just wrote a sad lil story about milling then immediately realizing it was one of the most versatile cards in the game

oh sorry, i misread your post then.

also i can't tell if this thread actually thinks ge'els is bad or if that's a meme or something. the card gets run in most top level monster lists.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Frost will probably be changed to damage highest & lowest unit on the row by one, to bring it back in line with Fog and Rain. I'd be okay with that.

Bears should really be 5 strength, Axemen become less of an issue if Frost is changed, Hjalmar should lose one or two points as well, the card is ridiculous with Skellige's easy access to damage. Alternatively the LoU could simply be buffed to 7 and Skellige would immediately be less dominant.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Osmosisch posted:

I've had more success on ladder with NR than monsters or SK but a lot of that may be surprise factor; or maybe they just suit my playstyle more. Climbed from 2300 to 2600 really easily. Not too impressive I know but I was struggling with monsters and SK.

Running this one:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22969-top-14-4k-mmr-weather-witchers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjVnxCHCgNc

What's the point of Roach over Nenneke in there? The Witcher -> Nenneke -> Witcher combo is super strong.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Osmosisch posted:

Deck thinning and burst strength, as far as I can tell. Often you won't be given the time to do the W->N->W thing. Also Roach is especially nice with Dandelion.

I'm not at the level where I'd feel confident explaining this kind of choices, but while playing the deck I noticed it was really nice to be able to just whip out those extra 5-8 points kind of on demand. The extreme amount of thinning in this deck also means you can just toss the witchers from your opening hands altogether leaving you with more gas in the first 2 rounds, which you want to drag out as much as possible.

Okay, I see. I'm not good enough either to say that one is better than the other, my reasoning was just that especially with all the deck thinning you should be able to draw into a witcher in R3 fairly reliably. I don't know, I might run your version a little bit and see how it works out. What is your typical R3 finisher?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, thanks everyone!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

Spell'a'spell has never bothered me (and neither has Freeze mage in HS... believe it or not) because there is interaction in trying to make the removal pieces in their hand fit as poorly with your board as possible. This is a minority opinion though.

Even the spell decks aren't nearly as uninteractive as CB Ragh Nar Roogh though. That one's the king of hosing an entire round of effort.

i agree with this. but i also didn't mind playing against miracle rogue in HS when that deck was super strong.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Some of these feel like overreactions, but most of the changes are fine. I'm excited to see where the meta will go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Did some streamer get far with a reveal Nilf deck? I'm running into that deck an awful lot. I also have yet to lose a game against it, so I'm not entirely sure what the idea is.