Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Venom Snake posted:

I just started playing and milled my monsters/elf/dwarf decks (because gently caress monsters and gently caress scoi'tel) to build a NR siege deck. Iv been readying everywere that NR is kinda underpowered and that playing with the lowest amount of cards is the best; but I can't actually get a machine deck to make sense with basically no cards

even your snake avatar looks disappointed in you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

:discourse:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

I think i'm gonna mill down northern realms to nothing, and try to get my scraps up to 3k. Maybe mill off Dagon and some other less useful leaders as well.

edit: Maybe I should mill scotia'tel as well? I know the control decks are dominating the upper level of play right now, but doesn't seem like my style.

I think new players are overestimating the "absolutely need all the cards" part and underestimating the "git gud" part. No offense obviously. You can tech hard against the meta and still have a very good chance until rank 15 or so. Spoiler: you won't have an 80% winrate vs players that bought 100s of kegs but you will still climb and not lose massive, massive value milling entire factions with a patch coming.

This is a terrible idea in HS too by the way!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Up Circle posted:

i milled everything for a crazy weird scoiatael deck but im having fun and i still have 1000 scraps and (almost) enough cards for the other factions at this point

it wasnt north realms though !!

... or you can do that if you're determined to play a certain deck (and that deck only for the foreseeable future) exactly the way you imagine it. Whatever rocks your boat.

And it wasn't NR, so there's that! :)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

RatHat posted:

Don't buy Witcher 1, it's really really bad.

this right here is a bad post

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

I think we are only gonna see more of that with the Gwent singleplayer and the possibility that Gwent is just going to be The Witcher 4. One of the things i'm really looking forward to with Gwent.

CDPR also has an unrevealed project they're working on iirc, as big as or bigger than Witcher 3.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

guys what are the odds of not drawing ciri ever 4 matches in a row in a loving 25 cards deck holy loving hosed virgin mary of god

this is important

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

this is why the cool decks run thinners: can't miss gold cards if you play every card in your deck

I haven't drawn her after using a loving navigator to pull my third Frost Beast Thing which in turn pulled the third Frost. And after Imlerith pulled Roach.

That's 5 cards out of my deck. Still haven't drawn her.

EDIT: 6 loving games in a row now, I have to take a break before I destroy my keyboard

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

MarshyMcFly posted:

Am I the crazy person if I run a 30 card deck with multiple golds?

Your deck will usually be more inconsistent than a 25 cards deck which is not what you want.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is currently no way of making a 30 cards deck better than a 25 cards one. That may change in the future.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

frajaq posted:

:smithicide:

Is that queensguard deck still decent? This feels like a tough choice because I know Ithlinne is really good

Ithlinne 100%

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

I think after finally having some free time to play a ton and watch streamers the past two days, the meta seems in an alright spot. Nilfgaard is a little too common, but I'm not entirely sure it's because they're too strong as it is they're just consistent so people flock to them. I find Morkvaarg decks harder to beat right now.

I'd like to see NR get a buff and see where the meta settles. I don't even mind the gold weathers anymore, like any gold card, when they're used well they can get you, but it's straight forward and second nature to play around them at this point.

I'm hoping the balance patch is early next week. I got a hankering to spend some meteorite powder, but I'm waiting to see what cards get nerfed, buffed, or changed to do anything

Meta is in an interesting spot. Rank 1 deck has been a Dagon fog for the last few days and there's a couple of heavily teched NR decks going in and out of top 20. Spell ST is still strong while SK, NG spies and Monster consume/weather hybrids are also in a good spot. The only deck I'm seeing less lately is reveal NG.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

How many clear weathers do you lot tend to run in your decks? Currently I'm looking to slot in Vanhemar(?) into a deck but at the moment 2x Clear skies seems fine?

It's usually 1 to 2 (max) depending on how many clear skies effect cards you have like Griffin, Nausicaa etc.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

the strength on all their units is hosed up and the trio mechanic is a decent idea but barely implemented. tweak the strength on the silvers a bit, buff some of the shittier bronzes like the siege machines, add another useful trio effect to something that doesnt get played, like one of the armor units. oh and fix priscilla because really, what the gently caress is that card

I don't really know if there's a worthwhile radovid deck either way past that. maybe change his power to "demote a gold unit and damage it by 4, or lock two units and damage them by 4" would give him a useful niche in giving the siege decks some targets when you need it..

the thing is, any trio mechanic is just an igni waiting to happen

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Nausicaa knight or whatever the gently caress that NG removing weather dude is called is incredibly obnoxious and I have no idea what he's yelling at the top of his lungs but I'm always surprised by how high his volume is over any other entrance sound

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

Total aside but Swim is by far the most enjoyable gwent streamer imo. He plays the game absolutely as it's meant to be played by giving every card a fair shot, has very good taste in decks and cards (aside from dwarves) and has a sharp eye for which as-of-yet undiscovered mechanics are abusable. Highly recommended, and educational if you can parse out when he's being genuine about how good a card is (there was one stream when he went on and on about how decent dijkstra was in CB and then expressed shock and regret when enthusiastically told him that they just crafted dijkstra).

yeah and he's also #38 in ladder with them

"heh, deck is kind of bad but let's play it a bit more"

*stays at 3300+ MMR the whole time*

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I think people are underestimating NG nerfs.

Between the golems, Calveit, Vicovaro Novice and Peter they're down about 12 points before turn 3. I doubt Tibor will be unplayable at 8 but it's another small nerf to their third round bomb. This is not a small issue for a deck that usually tries to win round 1 without spending any of their big bombs. Buffs to monsters also create more problems for NG because they usually stack the front row with the Imperas and Golems.

Not sure gold weather nerfs will immediately make them unplayable. Maybe. Maybe not. People were saying RnR/Drought would still be strong at 2 damage as recently as last week.

Skellige is still alive because their overall card quality is fantastic, they'll just need new decks. Also lol if people still ran Queensguard: it was also already terrible and borderline unplayable.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

Swim's Spellige will survive, and I'm very interested in trying out a few different warcrier decks. Hell, you can substitute the hunters for warcriers post nerf, still punish frost, and even get some actual use out of the right side of wild boar of the sea by pinging all your dudes once before you warcrier.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also people were whining about Tibor but the Albaaaaaa third round last card swing at least cost you a gold to pull off, while constantly bronze rezzing a 21 points piece of poo poo you couldn't even lock or reset always felt much cheaper to me.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

botany posted:

I slotted in a D-Bomb, thanks for that suggestion. That also helped against the Reavers deck.

I run a D-Bomb and a Scorch in a consume/weather hybrid Monsters deck with Ciri and RnR, Crones, etc and let me tell you that if the NG player is halfway decent D-Bomb isn't even enough. This is because you need to play last in the third round for it to hit Tibor ( as we all know Tibor is always NG's last card in hand) at which point the question becomes when the gently caress are you supposed to mulligan for it.

D-bomb in the first round is often a terrible draw; in the second it may not be but you can only mulligan 1, obviously getting in the 3rd round is always ideal but still requires you to either have card advantage and/or go second to react to Tibor.

By the way, I don't know about you guys but my rule of thumb in the Monsters vs NG matchup is always win the first round unless I'm 2 cards up on them and have carry-over on the board, and never drop Crones early unless I'm desperate. I will D-Bomb their loving Imperas in a second if that's what I need to win the first round hard.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Estraysian posted:

Played 10 ranked games today faced 10 Nilfgaard players. Patch can't come soon enough.

I'm currently rank 14 with a 77% winrate against NG. Just tech a scorch and a d-bomb in your Monster deck if you have it. In a vacuum Fiend is much stronger than the d-bomb but not if every other deck is NG.

Actually, let me link the deck.

When I built it I thought Imlerith, Scorch and D-Bomb where questionable along with my leader choice but the way the meta is right now I'm loving every single card of it.

Imlerith can net you an average 8+6+5(Roach) value while potentially removing a dangerous target (Brokvar Hunters, SK bears, Imperas and so on), and in the worst case an 8 points gold body in the third round is above average. Scorch will win you the matchups you usually can't win (spell ST, NR, the occasional Dorfs and massive Brokvar Hunters) because Monsters don't have many big dudes to drop on the board, while helping even in the favorable ones if you're careful. D-Bomb is acceptable in an NG meta (won't even win you all the Tibor matches but hey, can't find a better alternative)and absolute poo poo as soon as 80% of your matches aren't NG. And finally Eredin, the MVP. I like the flexibility of thinning your deck by two cards with the Navigator summoning another Hound, making an 11 points swing turn with the Wild Hunt Rider in those awkward situations where you're about to lose but still ahead in points, or even, in some niche cases, going for a 15 points swing with the Wild Hunt Warrior.

I tried the Dagon decks before this one but my Katakans kept getting Peter'd, I had no answer to spell ST (Bekker is always loving awkward to use), no answer to Tibor and yeah Dagon can thin your deck by 1 card more than Eredin but I think he's just an inferior leader atm. I'm sure Dagon decks were great last week but they're figured out as gently caress right now it seems.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

Just lost a mirror match where poo poo bugged the gently caress out not once, but twice. First my Bekker's didn't reverse his Bekker's, it just swapped with the 1 drop nearest his new 10, so that was hilarious. Then one of his eggs spawned two harpies instead of one. Feels fuckin' horrible man.

Bekker is used in many monster decks and isn't bugged, I don't know what just happened to you.

Harpies can spawn other harpies whenever harpies are spawned right of the eggs because they can trigger deathwish.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

The news about nerfed premiums sounds great and I'll totally exploit it as much as I can. I just wish I read that before receiving a pack legendary with Isengrim, Cerys and loving Gaunter O'Dimm as choice.

I went for Isengrim, they have to make ambush decent one day :(

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

I have 2k dust, what do I use it on for free scraps? I have calveit, RNR and ...?

Saesenthessis

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

RatHat posted:

What? She isn't being nerfed.

Yes she is. Well changed, anyway.

EDIT:Wait, it's only cards that are reduced in power? That's confusing.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 9, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Grave Hag is really bad, don't run it goons. Water Hag is where it's at.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Double Bill posted:

Big nerf to Reavers (6 -> 4 and no longer gets boosted in graveyard), so if the buffs to machines and others don't do enough NR is again in the shitter

They were too strong and dumb.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Very good changes overall.

Nerfs to harpies and dagon are more significant than people think because monsters don't really have many big bombs to drop and they need all the points they can get.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

botany posted:

yeah I'm not feeling super good about my monsters here :chloe:

Still a T1 deck without any doubt.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Scoia'tael might now have 2 different archetypes. Calveit nerf might mean we'll see more variations of NG (which is still strong btw). Skellige probably has all the pieces for a new deck. Northern Realms has 2 archetypes.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

Now to keep playing and risk getting a leader as my level 20 reward or miss out on 6-8 kegs worth of daily rewards.

miss out on kegs and go out, a win-win

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

There's a loving Kambi deck around that's almost unbeatable unless you're running lock and have it in the hand in the third round.

I wish I was trolling, I just lost to it twice with a 3 card advantage.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Up Circle posted:

sometimes the best answer is just passing

Sure, passing in the third round while Kambi and Hjalmar are on the board seems super solid, Lifecoach.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

I mean if they kambi r1 make them drop their hjalmar too. I assume kambi decks can also run renew.

They need to win round 1 all the time. Their deck is also built in such a way that they usually will. Oh and if they don't and you're 3 cards down you're still in trouble btw.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

I don't know how you'd expect a deck that doesn't have a shot at beating skellige r1 without going down 3 cards to survive in this or any meta.

If it just didn't work out yeah losses happen.

It's not hard when they can Stammelford tremors with 1 or more SK damage buff dude on the ground, after the Bears (a 10 point average value bronze) hosed up your harpies/foglets every time.

I'm not saying it's overpowered or anything, sure you can tech against Kambi, but it's not a meme deck at all.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is what you deserve you piece of poo poo. you motherfucker. you human stain. I know what you're doing.

lol I have foglets and frosts and crones and I'm still climbing bro, git gud

I get so many rage forfeits too

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

Post nerf Tibor is still good right?

Both Kayran and Tibor are still good, yeah. As third round bombs.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

wasnt dagon supposed to be good post patch?

I'm losing every loving match with it, now down 200 loving MMR

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

RatHat posted:

It's still good, yes.

it loving sucks donkeys dick, sry

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

does skellige always loving have all the freya stupid shits and sirgrifa third turn?

is that a bug

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Regis is really good against that spell deck, yeah. The deck got nerfed pretty hard (still annoying as hell to play against even when you win) but it happens to be pretty drat good at shutting down the skellige list that has completely swarmed the ladder post-patch. Against a lot of other decks it seems...bad. Or maybe just the ones I keep running into aren't piloted very well.

it definitely wasn't nerfed enough, ladder is still full of mongoloids skellige storming the first row on an empty board

also regardless of how aggressively bad they play they will win if you're not teched against the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

10 points for a gold is a bad deal you idiots.

it is an absolutely massive deal when they're not conditional and the effect helps your deck more than your opponent's

like vanilla geralt is an obvious noob trap, but think of all the round 2s or 3s where 10 unconditional points on a gold would've won you the game