Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish this game was a bit more "curiosity" friendly. Like I can't back out of cards when I select them, so I can't contemplate an action without first playing a card. I also wish the game would give me a visual indication of which cards would be affected by a card action I take; I don't think not allowing me to know for sure that I'm not about to kill my own allies would be very helpful.

This Skellige archer guy who shoots his own guys is bizarre. Worse still, I found myself doing better with a Skellige deck than my monster deck. Wild Hunt cards are great, but I feel like I need to invest in a lot more actual monsters before that deck is viable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey how exactly does Ermion work? I play him and it asks me to choose two cards; am I choosing the cards I am discarding? But then it shows me cards that are not in my deck--if I choose those, am I choosing not to bring those into the deck?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
GOD DAMMIT

This game has me fighting against its mechancis more than anything else. I still find myself blindsided where I think I'm understanding game descriptions correctly only for the score multiplyers I expect to come to never actually materialize.

But worse is that twice now I've been cost a clear victory because the game asked me to reshuffle my deck on the third round and I inadvertently pressed X instead of Square. An "are you sure" prompt would be much appreciated, I do not really need to reshuffle my cards in the third round game!

GAH I hate not winning when I should have won

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kawabata posted:

I don't get this post. No sarcasm meant.

I had a revive lady in my hand, ready to bring my victory move; instead I hit the X button and redrew her instantly, giving me a useless card and resulting in a draw.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Right so Skellige is loving bee's knee's murderbeast central, provided I get enough revivers. I'll have to stack the deck with more of them once I gather, but I'm still seeing what cards are out there. Either way, I'm finally out of the starting gate and getting wins in multiplayer.

This game has a lot of wonky issues but the core gameplay is quite solid and I love how they've developed the system. I have no idea how well-balanced it is: I haven't touched Northern Realms and Nilfgaard seems to be tailor-made to destroy my Skellige strategy. I have a bunch of elf cards and I've made a deck, so I guess I'll try and see how they play.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

There are already easily double, if not triple the rather large amount of cards seen in Witcher 3. There's a lot of variety I've seen, though I also notice that in the low levels, most everyone's drawing from the same card pool still.

In terms of deck variety, each of the five factions seem to be geared towards a specific type of deck, with variant strategies within based on your leader card. Like I play Skellige, but I have a leader who can summon in help when I play him, so I can go light on units and heavier on spells and buff abilities, which I can then use to create a system where I sacrifice cards and lose a round, only to revive my fallen units in the next round, go hard on weather and ailments and overwhelm an enemy for a two-round victory.

However, this is heavily reliant on having a leader card who summons in additional units, giving me a solid ace-in-the-hole. The other cards, King Bran particularly, don't seem nearly as useful, but would also call for me to restructure my deck to accomodate the new powers they bring to the field. There seems to be about 3 leaders per faction right now and they all seem pretty varied, even if every single Scoia player rocks that same lady

So yeah I'd say there's a good amount of variety.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I just got Iris, she seems like a super good card.

Took me a sec to remember who she was, and then I got sad. :smith:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm struggling to beat Dagon in the single player challenges. How do I beat Dagon in the single player challenge I want his card

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have mostly dorfs

I'm just gonna figure out how to make my vikings into monster killers. Am I right in thinking it looks like the default Skellige guy is the best Leader card of theirs?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The solution, as always, is just to get more and better cards. I'm totally hooked on this game, so I'll probably end up shelling out for some kegs next paycheck.

Overwatch only got me to buy a handful of crates at Christmas, but Gwent could very well drain me dry, particularly if I get some really good cards

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Frankly, I wish that gold cards were better marked. I've learned now to squint at the outlines if they look shiny but it's kind of a pain to not realize a card is gold and wasting a spell.

UI remains the biggest flaw here

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I beat lots of scrubs with my basic Skellige line-up. Even when somebody busts a real fancy card out, sometimes I manage to outplay them. Mostly it's a lack of skill on a player's fault; people make bad plays that experienced players won't.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Osmosisch posted:

You're running savage bears right? They eat the medics. Just don't toss the qg in the bin until you've got a bear on board.

I need a second bear. I need

i need a deck of bears

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hjalmar is better as a card than he ever was as a person.

He's my friend and my new first-round victory machine. Few players wanna commit to beating 25 points out the gate, scorch-immunity and all, and that means they'll push too hard on round 2 to win, draining their cards and giving my inexhaustible supply of raiders a clean win.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone says Northern Realms isn't very good but they keep summoning those machine towers and those can really cause me grief.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Henselt is way too good for units like Reavers or those Trebuchets

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ShowTime posted:

He may have lost but I absolutely love the decks he ends up making. This one with all the harpies and lesser golems that get buffed by Iris is such a hoot. He is that one streamer/player that can build both competitive decks and fun decks, that happen to be pretty good in addition to being pretty fun.

Hey, that's neat, I employed an Iris/golem combo the other night and was delighted to find how effective it is.

Iris I think has a home in my monster deck, but she's not nearly as useful across the board as I'd like.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I love lucky draws, but a well-made consume deck is full of great assets to utilize against other players. The Nekkar card won me a match!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't decide on this trio of cards:

Pavetta
Ocvist
Peter Saar Gwynleve -- this one is holographic or whatever, the guy moves

They all seem kind of interesting...I don't play Nilfgaard much, but Peter seems really useful? Is he better than the other two?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xtanstic posted:

You should already have a Peter from the starter deck. According to http://gwentify.com/card-picker/ the choice is Ocvist. I've never seen Pavetta played against me.

It says I do not own any of them.

EDIT: OH I guess it's cause I don't own any holographic Peters

well gently caress playing as Nilfgaard time to add another dragon to my ranks

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 13, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably would have picked the holo Peter there, he's getting a nerf so that would have been a free legendary.

where were you when I needed you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wooooow holy poo poo

I just won my third straight match, which should grant me my keg; except that the "day" reset after my third match, and with 5/6 rounds completed, it reset to 2/6. The game literally robbed me of a keg.

I went back to Gwent after all the horseshit with the FFXIV expac release, this is some horrible karma...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

You had 24 hours to get it, can't really blame the game.

The game doesn't tell me how much time is left and the day resets at a weird loving time. I just logged in to play a few games, I was taken by surprise when the day was reset and distressed that it happened AFTER I won, literally awarding me nothing.

If the game had any indication of when time was going to reset or god help you didn't reset the result on the "You won!" screen, maybe I wouldn't get mad at it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hampig posted:

Pretty much your own fault for having other things to do during the day besides play video games.

I know, gently caress me right? :sigh:

Woopity doo, guess I didn't see it. Either way, it's an obscenely lovely feeling to watch your victory get taken away from you through no real fault of your own.

It didn't matter since I demolished this poor Scoia'tel bastard two games later and kicked off another winning streak but y'know gently caress that noise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

My choice of golds is kind of meh. I got rid of Ermion, got Kambi, I have a Gaunter O'Dimm which sounds like not a very worthwhile card to be using and I'm trying to figure out whether I wanna melt down Gaunter and Kambi and try to buy a better gold card? Losing a whole board just to give my opponent 16 points doesn't seem to be worthwhile investment, but I don't want to do something foolish with rare cards.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Also gently caress Nilfgaard medics.

Edit: I've been running 30 cards, which has seemed adequate for my strategy.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

Have a look at this and this for some ideas on what's popular in mainstream Skellige netdecks. Hjalmar is probably the first gold you should go for if you want to stick with Skellige, especially if you want to keep running Kambi, followed by Coral. In general you want to stick to 25 cards unless you have a really good reason not to.

This would mean having less bears.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kalko posted:

Gremist with Decoy and Sigrdrifa for recursion usually gives me enough answers to weather when I need them. This deck is what I'm currently running to level up in casual (almost level 10 winning a fair bit more than losing) and I'll probably run it in ranked too because I've spent all of my resources thus far to craft these SK golds and silvers.

I have a few other SK silvers/golds I could swap in or out but I don't feel like there's any real need until I start seeing what the ranked meta is like.

Tch, seems like every other Skellige deck got all these discard cards and I just ended up with bears.

Bears are good, mind, but I don't have Gremist, SIgrdrifa or even Cerys. I have a few of those axe raiders and one pirate guy, but I don't have enough of the discard cards to really build a discard thing.

Lots of people are rocking Queensguard these days though, I dunno. I'm still on board for the gravelord thing, so hopefully I can pick up a Gremist soon.

EDIT: I see now that I had not been aware of Ermion's true value before I shredded him, but I stand by my choice.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Geralt Igni is some straight up bullshit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also that neutral mage beast trainer is going to get a ton of use. You could play 4 bears as an rear end in a top hat Skellige deck or just use it to steal from graveyards.

Since I don't have the cards for a discard deck, this'll definitely be me.

The best part about bears is that they can screw with Nilfgaard in fun ways. Oh, you were expecting to kill your 2-point spy and boost your dudes? Too bad he's a BEAR now.

Oh what, a rat trap? For me? Well now it's a bear trap.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I'll swap out Crach simply because he's basically never a bad card to use. You get two cards for the price of one, and he can set up some great combos. I usually have him call in those An Craite axemen guys who take damage when they enter the field; I have one in my hand, Crach always calls the other, and those two damaged units side-by-side can be boosted half of 10 or 11 points when I use the card that boosts damaged units by half their power. Being able to set up a combo that isn't reliant on my graveyard is actually a great counter if somebody tries to turn my dead against me; I can still call in some large numbers to make an attempt at a defense.

Of course, the flaw is that this requires a good hand to make work. Bran can always do a minimum five damage and he can keep going and going if you have a line-up of weaklings. He's not great against a deck like mine, since I put up big numbers on errybody, but I can definitely see him being a very effective counter to NR and Monster decks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I see Emhyr played quite a lot in the NG decks I come across. I don't really know why, he's not that exciting but revealing cards can do cool stuff for NG I guess.

Radovid is honestly one of the best leaders, yet most people run Foltest still. And nobody runs Henselt (except me, if for some insane reason I feel like playing NR)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So when does the full game actually drop?

When can I get Touissant cards

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

We're all waiting on Gamescom in about 2 weeks, Gwent is supposed to have a big showing of their longer-term plans. Touissant characters are supposed to be added to Nilfgaard eventually but who knows the timeline.

I guess it'd make sense not to add a sixth faction, but Touissant is so distinct and its own thing, it's kinda unfair to have them sequestered to smelly ole nilfgaard

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the factions are pretty good as is, since they seem to encapsulate all the possible means of approaching the game's strategy. You'd start to get redundant otherwise.

The only idea I can come up with for a unique faction hook would be a faction that benefits from facing overwhelming odds. Like Touissant knights who have maybe base 8, but get plus 10 if the other player is leading by 20 or some poo poo. You could wing it to have a single unit greatly powered up facing what would normally be a winning hand, something that serves to reverse high number players. But even that sounds kinda similar to what other decks can do, particularly Scorch decks that can eliminate strong cards and stack their side with numerous weaker ones (Scoiatael!!!)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Minrad posted:

It's about Queen Meve, one of the rulers of the NR and is who knighted Geralt and give him his Rivia title. It's supposed to have more recorded and spoken dialogue than Hearts of Stone for Witcher 3, apparently. And the whole thing's written by the same team behind Witcher 3. ~15 hours of gameplay time, decisions you make on the story will impact the outcome of it. Neat.

I don't know much about the character but her design is solid.

That sounds robust enough to earn my buck, particularly with 20 cards to draw from.

Skellige continues to be great, that Greatsword may actually warrant me putting an archer back in my deck so I can poke him. Of course, I still have my boat.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Underwear posted:

I feel like the distinction between gold and silver is pretty meaningless now. Demoting an opponents gold is now almost always helpful or neutral to them which is bizarre. Kambi needs a complete redesign. Unseen elder becomes ridiculous scorch/gigni bait (also new coral), basically unplayable.

I wish they hadn't gone all the way with this. It is way more flavorful for important story characters to be immune to mundane spells. They should have made it so only golds can hit golds.

Golds are kind of insanely overpowered though. Put that damned Yennefer down on the board and if you don't have shackles you're stuck eating damage every loving round.

Geralt: Igni needs to be removed from the game outright.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

troofs posted:

If geralt igni needs to be nerfed for any reason it's because it's oppressive to the meta in a way that no other card is, because you can throw it any deck without a drawback and it completely hard counters a bunch of strategies.

There's also no means to defend against it -- you can spread yourself thinner than you may want to, but you have no idea if a player has it or when they might employ it and it's absolutely catastrophic -- I've basically had a game on lock, then Geralt: Igni was played and took me out completely. It didn't feel like I got outplayed at all, it just felt like this rear end in a top hat bought a victory button.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still holding on to my Gravelord strategy, it's unique and throws people off a bit but I do wish there was more support for non-discard stuff in Skellige cards. More Clan An Crait will be welcome, at least.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just picked this game up again after a few months away and geez, my power deck feels totally useless now and the whole dynamic of the game is shook up.

My Skellige guys seem anemic now. What are some good tips to deck building now that golds aren't invincible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any advice for taking out this Bloodthirst challenge? I feel like I'm missing an obvious "trick".