Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

My choice of golds is kind of meh. I got rid of Ermion, got Kambi, I have a Gaunter O'Dimm which sounds like not a very worthwhile card to be using and I'm trying to figure out whether I wanna melt down Gaunter and Kambi and try to buy a better gold card? Losing a whole board just to give my opponent 16 points doesn't seem to be worthwhile investment, but I don't want to do something foolish with rare cards.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Also gently caress Nilfgaard medics.

Edit: I've been running 30 cards, which has seemed adequate for my strategy.

Have a look at this and this for some ideas on what's popular in mainstream Skellige netdecks. Hjalmar is probably the first gold you should go for if you want to stick with Skellige, especially if you want to keep running Kambi, followed by Coral. In general you want to stick to 25 cards unless you have a really good reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So when does the full game actually drop?

When can I get Touissant cards

We're all waiting on Gamescom in about 2 weeks, Gwent is supposed to have a big showing of their longer-term plans. Touissant characters are supposed to be added to Nilfgaard eventually but who knows the timeline.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I guess it'd make sense not to add a sixth faction, but Touissant is so distinct and its own thing, it's kinda unfair to have them sequestered to smelly ole nilfgaard

What's weird is they've actually claimed they are working on more factions. With that in mind it strikes me as an especially dumpy decision. Who knows maybe they'll rethink it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've heard people speculate Zerrikania and Ofir. It seems questionable to me as well, but a lot of their plans for gwent seem questionable. Hopefully gamescom brings a few answers.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 12, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Discard seems pretty donezo in general, the spellatel deck in particular eats it alive

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It definitely seems like an oversight and I expect it won't last past this patch. But it's a fun deck to play

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I went 9 and 1 with the spellatel netdeck tonight, the one I lost was me throwing. It's kinda unfair but it felt great, high five to whoever thought the new Stammelfords was a good idea

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fix it by making Ithlinne a 2 power spy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Be nice to swim, he's a silly and silly looking man

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sick. That's dope

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game has changed a lot in each patch so it's hard to recommend beginner videos or guides since they're inevitably outdated. I would recommend checking out swim's stream and recent stuff from his youtube. He's pretty tolerable, plays a wide variety of decks, and you'll probably pick up a lot just watching someone competent grind out games for a bit.

As for getting started, it feels slow at first but in the medium term this game's economy is extremely more generous than any of its competitors. Make sure you keep an eye out for word of a patch and disenchant all the nerfed cards when it goes live, it gives you a huge leg up.

The power gap between golds and other cards is the lowest it's ever been, so don't feel too bad if you have to fudge the golds. Golds and silvers are spice/support for the rest of the deck in this game, bronzes are really the core.

NG spies is really strong but hard to play, ST in general is kinda tier 2 at the moment. Therefore I'd recommend NG between the two. Once you get a strong mainstream deck set up it tends to get easier from there, since you can dust all its nerfed cards for scraps for the new hotness when balance changes come around.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 14, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Wave posted:

I assume it only goes off once. Please tell me it only goes off once.

It only goes off once. Still seems broke.

I was excited for this patch to break up the Skellige doldrums, but queuing into purple five games in a row this morning killed my excitement pretty fast. Hopefully they hotfix.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The real abuse case is leo -> reveal cantarella -> soldier man on cantarella. New reveal is fun and not bad at all, but go figure Skellige has the best tools to poo poo on it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Regis’s good manner emotes cement him as the one true supreme bro of the witcher-verse

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I strongly second the recommendation of some flavor of Unseen Elder for people looking to climb, I was too busy to play for the first few days of the season but consume got me right back in it.

Extremely easy to pilot, fast games, meta hasn't really shifted to account for its existence yet in my experience. Here's a list I stole from swim my list

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Apparently they've said it is coming out on steam, but not until after the official release, ie not any time soon.

I'm also surprised they committed to it at all, pushing people onto galaxy seems like one of the major perks of the game existing for them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Minrad posted:

Assuming every faction is getting the same count of cards, each faction is getting 5 new silvers and 4 new golds and 9 bronzes. No new commons yet.

Plus this is probably the new leaders patch, right? So one gold from each faction may be a leader.

The number of new cards per faction varies. Monsters and NG get 18, NR gets 17, ST and SK get 16. See https://www.playgwent.com/en/card-reveals

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

New Isengrim and similar effects are a la discover in hearthstone, you’re given a choice between 3 options selected randomly from the pool of possibilities.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good change, should make Adda a lot less dumb. Good cards in general this round, challenger should be a lot of fun.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

So is this actually a dead gay card game or what? I just downloaded it on PS4 and it’s fun enough I doing the solo challenges, is multiplayer full of whales? Or can fun be had with zero spend?

It's by far the most generous and realistic for free to play game in the genre imo. The start is still rough but it's very easy to grow your collection for free once you can field one good deck. I wouldn't play it on PS4 if you can avoid it though, there isn't any crossplay or ability to move your account between systems so PC is a safer bet

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They should definitely do a consistency/cleanup pass on card names at some point before release, I for one am irrationally triggered by Doppler being a special card and not a unit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Any timeframe on when they might introduce drafting? Always loved that sort of thing.

They've been hinting at it constantly for some time now, I'd hope/expect/imagine it comes with the next big content update but who knows

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Part of their problem is that the game is in for real actual beta, not a glorified demo or soft release as people have now been conditioned to expect when they hear that term.

They gently caress up a whole lot and lurch around but they're also extremely more responsive about their fuckups than, say, blizzard, which instead of swerving will always stay the course in the most idiotic boring fashion possible. It may not all come together in the end but I respect that they're clearly trying. In the worst case we trust in thronebreaker, which is a pretty safe bet to own

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Most decks are about equally cheap/expensive in this game since most cost comes down to the golds and silvers. Top dogs right now include bear skellige, spy nilfgaard, and scorch/nova scoiatel. I would not shoot for monsters right now unless you have all the cards already or something, it's pretty garb in my opinion

Or if you're really that hard up just wait a few days, the game is likely to be patched soon-ish after christmas and the meta should shift significantly

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

spotter deck

Swim was working on similar lists today and is supposed to post a guide for the deck tomorrow, you have like 12 hours before the cancer metastasizes and absolutely everyone is playing it.

It is very fun to play for sure. It'll lose some impact once the general populace understands how it works but I've had some beautiful games with it as well

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

botany posted:

where do i see my daily quests?

It's a tab in the social sidebar thing where you can look at your friends list

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

botany posted:

ooooh thanks! wonder why they put them there, that's a pretty counter-intuitive location

As with many mysterious and/or broken things in this patch, I assume the reason is they rushed it out so everyone could go on vacation

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Stupid noob question: should I be buying card kegs with my earned resources? I am level 7 just working through the challenges.

For sure, there's nothing else to use ore for at the moment besides buying kegs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's pretty impressive how quickly things fell apart, they might earn peoples trust again but it's going to be a long road and an opportunity for the competition. There's always Thronebreaker someday I guess

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Draynar posted:

When you do Shupe mage hazards what is the blue glowy hazard? No idea what that does and can't find what spawns it from normal decks.

Dragon’s Dream

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/961666103192834048

Yeah, rip

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just had a game where my opponent played shilard and only he drew a card and I've seen the effect work normally on streams as well, so yeah it's megafucked. Also don't play Sarah, she's bugged in the same way as Sile.

That said you can still go 9-0 if you're a master drafter like me :smugdog:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 1, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So I'm trying to get back into the game after not having played it since near the end of the closed beta. Is there a tutorial to play though all the new changes, or are those the challenges?

Also what so far has been the best method for arena drafting for people? My initial draft is mostly opponet damaging cards with only some cards that sync together like stuff with the crew keyword. It seems to be working ok.

You can do pretty well just drafting by tier list in this game a la this one as long as you have some awareness of synergies as your draft emerges, in general it's much easier to draft "correctly" in gwent than in games like Hearthstone

edit: It's a straight 1/3 chance for gold/silver/bronze per pick, so yeah it ends up being highly variable. It's questionable for sure

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 1, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More power to you but I think you're very much in the minority. Even if the status quo is fairly balanced, I would say most people find games like this get stale quickly without regular infusions of content

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 26, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even hearthstone manages to poop out a ~125 card expansion every four months or so, and even that is often called aggravatingly slow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was a good attempt. And it didn’t work out

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The visuals look amazing. The gameplay remains to be seen. All in all, probably still dead game but potential for a spark of life

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Initial homecoming impressions: seems like too little too late. It's a less fundamentally flawed game but a more boring one. Unless the hail mary from thronebreaker, which actually looks pretty good, drives a lot of interest I don't see it taking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The progression stuff looked great. I think homecoming makes a bad first impression but I've noticed a lot of people warming up to it. Hope it's good and, if so, can reach a solid audience