Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

10 points for a gold is a bad deal you idiots.

10 points for a gold is great if that gold also draws you stuff that helps your deck strategy, which it does for many decks. Any deck that wants to swarm the board or have your opponent swarm the board. Axemen, Monster Consume, NR Reavers, Mulligan Scoia'Tael, and Nilfgaard Spies are all popular decks that want to play as many units as possible or have their opponent do the same. The only deck it might not be good in happens to be the best deck at the moment, which is Crach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

steakmancer posted:

I'm trying to play an ambush deck and it's totally preposterous that the enemy can pass at any time to basically force u to -2 cards when the backbone of the deck is a 7 strength bronze

Well there is your problem. You are playing Ambush. The only good ambush card is Toruviel, which people play against because it's basically the only good ambush card you expect to see. The one that flips and does damage is OK. Play them when you are ahead to stay ahead. If you are behind, your opponent can pass and you are still behind.

Ambush will probably get looked at and changed in someway, so one day it might be good and playable.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Agree completely but calling NG Spies a popular deck is a bit excessive unless we're all playing under rank 8. :)

It is popular, but that doesn't mean it's good. If we were just talking about the most played decks that are also good, we'd only be talking about Crach. Calveit will always be popular and Emyhr is seeing renewed interest specifically because of Avallac'h. People really like playing Avallac'h, turning him silver, playing him again off Emyhr, playing him again off Decoy, then Assire him back into the deck and playing him again off drawing him. In all card games ever, people like drawing more cards.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

if both players draw a card, the advantage goes to you. this is why coldlight oracle is a top tier card in hearthstone and every deck runs it. It absolutely doesn't mean you have chosen to replace one of your precious gold slots for a card that is on average slightly better than a randomly generated bronze card.

Right. Because we effectively net the same cards, but mine come with a 10str gold and I stacked my deck around anticipating using the card, so my draws are generally better. My deck things itself out, increasing my chances to draw better cards.

Avallac'h is a good card.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Knowlue posted:

We can still mill nerfed cards for full value right? I have another 400 meteorite powder so would like to get 1600 scraps again

Might still be able to, but the possible cut off was this morning around 9AM. I milled a few cards before I left for work just to make sure, even though one of the cards milling for full value is SAVAGE BEAR, which is most definitely gonna get a strength nerf and again be millable for full value.

Adding the mulligan image to op. Anything else you think should be added now that we are several weeks in? Any new streamers/youtube channels to watch out for? New thread title ideas?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Bear is real good, but what beats bear? Seems like weather has a good matchup against it, and I bet any special deck is just impossible to deal with. Something NG or ST with nothing but specials and big units you drop end of round? Not playing any units just negates the bear, right? I want to build a Kambi deck, because my opponent going round 3 Renew my Hjalmar, play their own Hjalmar and back it up with a Kambi made me so happy. Anyone got a decent Kambi decklist? I just made a premium one, so i'm playing it somewhere.

Edit: GwentDB had a shell of one I basically was already running and it's alright. Won the first game against a lvl 32 rank 18 mmr #700ish Dagon in casual by not giving any fucks about his weather he played in round 1 and 2 and making him play 3 gold cards as his last 3 plays in round 2 after passing. Then I dropped Avallac'h in round 3, letting him draw only 1 card off it, drew into the last 2 cards in my deck that were Kambi and Hjalmar. Was pretty fun.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 17, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
And you are positive your opponent hadn't passed and you had cards in your deck? Avallac'h is a clash effect, so neither player can pass for his effect to work.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

I keep forgetting Regis: Higher Vampire doesn't banish the units he consumes so it's pointless to eat stuff that revives like Foglets or Queensguard.

He is still really good, especially in the current meta where people like to run units like Dol Blathana Protector, Spotter and Pirate Captain. Sometimes you can get him up to 20 strength and deny them a powerful piece of their combo.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone else get a popup to restart the game to download the latest info? I verified my game and got a 53mb patch but there's no info.

It's just reverting the full scrap value for nerfed cards change.

People on Reddit are either really dumb or purposefully trying to be dumb in an attempt to work CDPR's generosity. Seems like lots of people waited until right when the change was expected to go into effect to mill cards. Lots of people complaining about not getting the full value anymore.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that will work for a bit, but cut the pirates for Savage Bears and the Shieldsmiths for Clan Drummond Shieldmaidens when you can. Both of those bronze units I mentioned are among the best bronze units in the game right now. The Crach An Craite deck is the top deck at the moment, so you'll find not only does it work, but because it works so well people will be teching against it. Shoot for Morkvarg and Sigdrifa as your first epic upgrades and Coral/Hjalmar as your first legendary upgrade.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So it looks like there is an exploit letting you desync your client, causing the game to end and apparently in your favor. CDPR is aware of it, looking into fixing it and banning people that use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i1o25/noxious_gets_scammed/dj3kfxt/

Basically you log into a second client using the same account and just queue for a game. When it finds you a game, your current game encounters an error and has to end, giving you the win.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
CDPR has updated matchmaking and the leaderboard system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6idvbp/update_to_matchmaking_system_and_leaderboards/

Basically, quicker finding of opponents and improved MMR gain/loss systems. Mostly affects top ranked players, but does affect the whole system.

Edit: Lots of people are reporting getting like 10-20 MMR a win, which means if you weren't already a high rank, it's gonna take you quite a bit longer. Kind of sucks since I mostly played casual until the client and meta stabilized.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 20, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was actually just watching that and I remember seeing a conversation about it on Reddit a couple weeks ago. Unless the card is saying that your deck is shuffled after using some kind of tutoring/searching effect, it looks like the order of cards you see when searching is the order in which you will draw them. Might be intended, might be lazy coding. I imagine CDPR will address it at some point and either fix Dandelion to shuffle or make it know that the effect is intentional. I don't really mind either way. If this somehow makes Dandelion and other similar cards slightly more powerful to a skilled player, so be it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think increasing the minimum deck size could be a good thing. Going from 25 to 30, but not increasing the amount of silvers/golds allowed would help with decks becoming slightly less efficient. That or make the number of silvers/golds allowed proportionate to the number of bronzes in your deck. Some kind of tiered system might work and would let those players that wanted to run 40 cards even have a few extra silvers and golds, maybe.

Decks are just super efficient at the moment and I can't see it getting better over time unless CDPR addresses it and future proofs it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This game is still in its infancy. poo poo, it's barely beyond the embryo stage. Just recently the game was completely changed with the addition of between round mulligans, positioning, etc. Imagine how many cards still have to come out before the end of beta and at the start of release, when the single player campaign is introduced. Judging the game and the devs this early on is asinine. If you don't like the game right now or how CDPR changes things, just don't play for a bit.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

General Morden posted:

Just saying they should take a cue from Blizzard is all.

I think they should probably be balancing a bit quicker, but only in the extremes. I agree with you that there can be useless cards, but only when they have a larger card pool. And completely garbage ones, as in completely unplayable in any deck, should be buffed, while cards that are auto-includes and meta-dominant, such as harpy and bear (which were both seeing play in decks that didn't even necessarily utilize them, but were just so good they had to be included in any deck within that faction), should be nerfed quicker. At least now, in the beta, when the card pool is so small. It's kind of hard to compare Gwent to Hearthstone right now because Hearthstone is years into development with a huge card pool, while Gwent is an almost brand new game with a limited card pool.

Edit: Also, I think Gwent is in a good spot because Gwent gets to look at what all these other card games have done and use them as examples of what to do and what not to do, which is great. So I agree that CDPR needs to take cues from Blizzard. But also Magic, Shadowverse, Duelyst, Elder Scrolls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, etc.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 6, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
All these complaints are why I wait until a game is out of beta before I sink any time or commitment to it. I'm cool with this super oppressive meta because in almost every patch there has been a completely dominant deck. I'm waiting until the game is actually released before I start to care about what CDPR does about balance. I know ST will get fixed and I really love the progress CDPR has been making.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'll update the OP. Does anyone know exactly how the mulligan system works so I can update correctly?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Been playing quite a bit more lately and the Scoia'tael Harmony deck is super busted at the early ranks. I haven't lost a game yet, not knowing what anyone is bring to the table. Because I played so much in beta, I haven't had any trouble making decks. I think when I came back I had something like 170k scraps, which has been plenty to build multiple decks and not even dent my reserves. Games pretty fun and i'm fairly happy with all the changes i've noticed from the beta days until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Enjoying this game a lot all of a sudden. I started playing a syndicate deck, which is super fun, but way more complicated than the harmony deck. The harmony deck just pilots itself for the most part.

Is there no way to spend just scraps on premium cards anymore? I only see options to use dust to upgrade to premium.