Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Electronico6 posted:

You already have Geralt, Leo Bonhart is good but is very specific to a play-style of Nilfgaard(Reveal mechanic) so it needs a lot of support across all colours, while Metz will enhance any starting Northern Realms decks.

I think Leo is a great choice for most NG decks, not just Reveal. Unless you are playing a deck with nearly zero medium to large units, he's still a pretty solid Triss+ with flexibility at the loss of a small amount of information. He may not work in a spy deck with the amount of 1-6 power cards they can run, though.

This is advice assuming the account in question doesn't have a large amount of kegs/rewards already. Leo seems good a lot of the time but probably isn't optimal outside of Reveal or some sort of fatties deck, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Why the gently caress can't I loving finish the second final challenge quest against monsters. Why does the retard AI summon 18 worth of stats casually with 1 loving card left while I'm throwing my poo poo dumb cards at them.

Also 2 hundreds weather effects.

Just kidding game's amazing but it does an awful job at explaining anything and I'm not seeing this reaching critical mass unless they do something about the keywords.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do something about the keywords." The keywords have definitions that pop up when you hover over the cards, so you can learn what each card does in a few seconds the first time you see them, and that is just reinforced if you see them multiple times.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I really feel like weather is gonna get yet another rework. It's still completely dominating, between all the special weather effects and lack of removal/weather immune cards. I'm running 3 first lights and gremist, as well as ways to return Gremist or bounce him, and am unable to deal with all the weather spam.

Came in here to post that I keep getting destroyed solely by Ragh Nar Roog no matter what deck I play or what deck it is in. It may as well be a gold that says "if played at the start of round 3, delete five of your opponent's cards and gain 50 strength". I get that gold cards are supposed to be flashy, but look at RNR and then look at Geralt. Or to use a non-starter gold that does damage, good old YenCon. Unless you have 6+ dudes at the same strength for the entire round, she isn't going to touch RNR's power.

Maybe have RNR affect the entire board, so both sides take a hit before either can Clear Skies.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Robutt posted:

Mulligan ST is really, really fun. And just for general ST stuff, the swing you can generate by having both Saskia and Roach is pretty insane.

The Brouver combo of Brouver -> the 2 cost dwarf that pulls a dwarf (which pulls Saskia which pulls Roach) -> Zoltan Chivay which gets buffed and pulls other units and buffs them is an insane turn 1 round 1 play that also thins your deck quite a bit.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I have a feeling that the next silvers I'm going to make are Skellige Storm and the double frost one, considering Dudu underwhelming and I keep playing decks that don't want Scorch. I kinda wish the Witcher trio were part of the starter silver package instead of dudu/scorch/decoy.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

Here's an idea for a bronze card:

5 str
Every turn, deal 1 damage to enemy units on the opposite row.

Going places?

Can it also thin your deck by one bronze special card?

I was happy about the weather change because I figured there would also still be weather immune units scattered through the factions. I didn't think they would see the complaints of weather being strong and binary and think "let's both make it stronger and make it harder to deal with". Maybe there should be a timer for either rounds, damage done, or units killed for weather, to give a way to trigger its end if it's thrown out at the start of round 3 and all three of your Clear Skies are on the bottom of your deck.

I mean, there are tools to fetch/create Clear Skies, but they are locked behind epic+ cards that nobody starts with in the Mages. Other than First Lights I mean, because even with three you still end up facing 3-6+ different weather effects, so you miiiight only lose 9 points (or 15+ if one is RNR or Skellige Storm) while going card-for-card with a perfect draw and answer of all three First Lights.

I'd like it if there were some proactive cards. Maybe some units that have "weather can't be played for x turns" or "weather can't be played on this row". Or add Blizzard Potion back into the game and give it the Quen treatment where it gives Weather Immune and a small Boost to all cards of a type in your hand and deck. This is just beating around the bush, though. I just hope they rethink at least the silver/gold weathers with at least a timer before they go off or a set duration that's less than an entire round.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kawabata posted:

2 clear skies and Sile are not nearly enough because they actively play around them and there's gently caress all you can do when they have 4-5 chances to massacre your rows with frost

2 games in a row where I use both clear skies and yet I have all 3 rows with frost in the last round

weather feels super cheap and bad

Just lost a game where the opponent went Frost Hound, Frost Hound, Navigator on Hound. I only drew one gold and none of my First Lights after aggressively mulliganing for them, so I pushed ahead as much as possible (including hitting a Cow Tosser on all three hounds for a nice 22 point bronze) and passed. He plopped a few cards down to catch up, letting me go +3 in card advantage. First turn next round I get no First Lights still, opponent drops Ragh Nar Roog. I concede. Three bronzes and a gold and there was literally nothing I could do in any order to not lose by 50+ that round, because I didn't have any copies of the card I specifically put in my deck to counter this play style.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Emhyr can pick up cow carcasses and let them chill out in his hand. I nabbed two of them in the mirror with Emhyr -> Cahir for a nice swing, then mulliganed them away over the next couple turns to get more of my cards. It's an edge case, but it's pretty funny.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Turns out the meta is solved, and it is Eredin Frost Spam with T3 Crones. I've lost to it every time, and it's always due to the combination of the guaranteed damage I take before I can immediately respond to it with my deck teched against it, and the glut of those cards in my hand that makes my own win conditions unreliable.

Honestly, other than RNR and maybe White Frost, I think weather is pretty close to fine. The problem is that the majority of the tools to deal with weather aren't in the starter decks, and are rarity blue or higher. The blue rarity ones are pretty mediocre as well, at least for Nilfgaard. So it pushes people to have their first crafts be purely reactionary or be eaten alive by weather decks, which causes weather decks to be all over the place at the start, which they are. If Dudu were replaced by a Mage for each faction that had Clear Skies as one of their spell choices, it would go a ways toward helping out with that.

Whoever said people should rush to rank 10 for the higher rank placement is a jerk. I'm F2P so far and upon hitting 10 today I've basically only placed against people who obviously have put down a fair bit of money on the game. After a couple days rest I'm now seeing Igni and Roach every game again :allears:

EDIT: Given the much lower base power of a lot of cards in the game, I hope the Crones get looked at. 20 points of power round 3 is much easier to achieve with the mulligan every round.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

That's an arbitrary metric to have variety over with little return. It's technically variety but the substance is questionable. If decks are stale the first question is the card pool and counters.

The entire game is arbitrary as it is a game with arbitrary rules and no goal aside from getting more numbers than your opponent twice. Having more variety is a good thing all things considered and it's weird that you're poo-pooing something as low stakes as "making a deck arguably worse but more interesting to play as and against but still closer to viable". Are you subtly making the "optimal" jokes that were such a gosh darn funny meme in the Hearthstone thread?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Losing the coin flip and the opponent going Calveit -> 3x Golem -> Cahir -> Roach -> something I can't remember in response and then immediately passing blows. I guess I should have just passed to lose the round and be equal CA but I'm hoping they do something about Golems at least. There isn't much of a point of using leader card power as a balancing point between leaders when you give a faction a free +9 power on all of their leaders and let them play with a 22 card deck to boot. poo poo, make the Golems neutral and let everyone join in on the fun, and see how fast people will get tired of them being in every single deck. Comparing them to Daerlan in the same faction shows how dumb there are, because Daerlan is only 1 power more, you need to draw them, and the require you to use a reveal effect on yourself instead of your opponent.

EDIT: Agreed on Ocvist. He makes a pretty solid first turn first round play if you lose the coin flip and go first, because you get the card back if the round lasts long enough, or people burn a removal on him and leave your other threats safer.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 3, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Due to the way mulligans work it doesn't seem like the Golems have as much of a downside there as, say, Shieldmaidens. If you pull any of them in your opening hand you can blacklist them right off the bat and have no worries for the rest of the mulligan. If you don't pull any you can still mulligan twice with no worries, as if they come up you blacklist them immediately and get your third. If they don't come up in the first two you can weigh your chances on that third grabbing one. With something you want one of but only one, like Shieldmaidens, you can't blacklist them unless you draw two, though I guess since they have Veteran you can throw your single back if you are worried and thin your deck later with a bit more power on board. It may be close to a wash now that I think about it, though with Shieldmaidens you need enough damaged minions on board to take the first two hits to pull all three.

I wonder if they could buff their strength to 5-6 and do something like "Orders: Summon from your deck, and Destroy other Ally [whatever their name is] Golems." Provides less power but more thinning than Saskia, and thinning by losing bronzes is probably better than thinning by a gold. Saskia does give Roach Orders, basically, though.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I do wish they had an option somewhere for milling the alt art cards. Have "keep 3 of one kind" or "keep 1 of each kind" and have the auto-mill mill the others. I hear they plan on allowing crafting in the deck construction screen soon so that will help a bit, but doesn't do anything for cards/factions you aren't playing.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Granted I haven't played New NR at all, and have barely seen it aside from Henselt Reavers a few times, but it's weird to me that NR has literally any bronzes that are weaker in base strength than the Sergeant. It seems like that card could be used as a base for both Blue Stripes as well as Siege Machines, but there are enough Siege units that are weaker than the Sergeants that I don't think they work together right now. That makes NR more samey though, so maybe just buff Siege mechanics a bit to keep them unique but more viable.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

MarshyMcFly posted:

What the poo poo Christ is with weather monster decks??? I just played 3 ranked matches against 3 weather monster decks and lost to all of them. How the gently caress do you counter them????

Adding your faction's Mage silver is a good start, as I believe all of them have Clear Skies available. I also drop in at least one of the row clearing bronze for my faction, and then another First Light or two depending on how much weather I'm seeing. Decoy, Emhyr (Nilf leader), and Restoration (Skellige silver) are nice to reuse weather clearing minions, and each have other uses when you aren't facing weather. Milva (ST gold) sorta works too but that's conditional on board state.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Does Ciri:Dash put herself on top of the deck instead of being "shuffled" in like it says on the card? People say it's a bad card but I see her 2-3 times a game literally every time I see her, with people just throwing her down for 9+ power each round and drawing her right back for next round freshly buffed. These opponents aren't even thinning their deck more than usual, so people grabbing a single gold out of 6-10 cards in both round 2 and 3 seems extremely unlikely unless the card isn't doing what it says on the tin.

EDIT: Not that 9 power on a gold is crazy good, it's just weird.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Re: when to pass round 1, that's a start, but you'll also have to learn what deck you are facing. Fortunately right now you can tell a lot just from leader choice, where Henselt = Reavers, Eithne = spells and big Protectors, etc. A video I watched a ways back from Merchant (a Gwent streamer) covered the topic, and he said that a big part of knowing when to pass was to figure out the cards the opponent has in their hand by knowing the metagame, and whittling them down to fewer cards than they need for their big plays, so they have to choose either to lose the round or break up their combo pieces to keep fighting. This is a big reason why Reaver Hunters is a pain in the butt, because they can go all the way down to 1 card in hand in Round 2 and still poo poo out a ton of power by just going Reaver -> Henselt Round 3, and why the open beta universal mulligan change has made Crones a much more viable keep on turn 3. 20+ power in one silver card can trump being down a card going into Round 3.

Knowing when to pass, and knowing how hard to push, are basically The Skills To Learn in Gwent. Making your opponent make hard decisions and use their reactionary tools inefficiently is something that is both very important and hard to master.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Getting kind of tired of wombo combo poo poo. Brouver -> Saskia -> Roach -> Silver resilient dwarf, Calveit -> Golems -> Cahir -> Roach -> Rainfarn -> Cantarella, etc. Considering how important it is to win the first round with most decks, starting behind 30 points before you get to play a card doesn't seem fair to me. I'm all for cool synergies, but this feels like Patches the Pirate from Hearthstone all over again, only this time he's way bigger and there are five of him in every deck.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I would have held off on Thaler and kept your Round 2 score low until the Cavalry popped out of your deck, but I assume you figured that out as soon as you played him. Also lol at Foltest buffing spies, but I think that's getting changed in the patch. Other than that and putting that Reaver on the wrong row, that looked fine.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

how does foltest add value to nenneke?

I assume the poster confused Henselt and Foltest there.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Do Blue Stripes Commandos only spawn one base version for the entire trio? I thought it put one for each of them in the deck. Threw together an Igni Me Please deck for the first time in open beta and ran through my entire deck in a game and only saw 4 Commandos total. If so, what's the point of that ability? It seems to be antithetical with the Kaedweni Sergeants because if you have used any of them before the Trio ability then you can no longer pull the fourth Commando from your deck unless you do it manually, which isn't really worth it.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol wait so you can mill newly crafted cards for the full value?

That means you can get effectively infinite scraps as long as you are willing to spend $5 for per legendary. That seems uh...not very well thought out.

Allowing people to jump through hoops to buy stuff they may not have bought otherwise due to them feeling like they worked the system or got a good deal is like the entire goal of marketing. See: permanent coupons, bulk rates, promo codes, etc.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Hmm boy, making some heavy weather and reactive/control decks because they seem to be the only way to counter all the heavy weather and reactive/control decks in ranked AND casual. Weather needs a timer, or be only one-ofs even at bronze, especially due to the many ways weather is being Spawned or Summoned.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Up Circle posted:

Spy cards like that are never worth it third round, are they? unless you have a scorch to take care of the problem?

If it's a long third round, it can be worth it if you play it early into weather. It also enables Igni.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Got tired of all the weather crap so figured I'd jump in with both feet and be part of the problem. Been having some luck bullying round 1 and even pressuring round 2 with this deck, though it loses to last round last turn power plays like Tibor, Queensguard, and Crones. If you can grab CA and force those to drop on round 2 it's not bad. The deck isn't optimal and mills itself occasionally, but I'm not sure what to switch for what as I don't really play new NR. Temerians are just for thinning and something to play if you lose the coinflip, so they could be switched for something, and Geralt could probably be Bloody Baron. I don't have NR's witch either so that could go in there in place of maybe Reinforcements or Decoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Sure, passing in the third round while Kambi and Hjalmar are on the board seems super solid, Lifecoach.

I think the idea was that if the SK player is behind and drops Kambi last, try to shoot ahead in the next card or two then pass before Kambi blows up the board. I don't know how useful that advice would be without knowing the board state, considering it's pretty obvious to think "hey I'm ahead and this bird is about to blow up my board, maybe I should pass instead of dumping hand".

What are you supposed to Operator in this deck? Longships? Captains?