Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The meteorite powder is an insanely good deal for premium legendaries if you're into that. Crafting a premium legendary instead of a normal one is 800 more scraps, and dusting a whole keg ($1) gives you 50 scraps on average, meaning it costs $16 to craft a premium legendary instead of a normal. Using meteorite powder it costs $4.50! Lesson: never ever craft a premium legendary using scraps.

My bet is that they ended up spending a lot of money doing the premium art and are trying to make some of it back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was so right. I've opened 45 packs and gotten zero silver cards.

Got offered a ton of golds though. I don't know if this is glitched because getting to choose legendaries (including premium menno, premium ciri dash) 5 times and epics 0 times seems crazy.

EDIT: Got offered my first epic, finally. Not a glitch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 24, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Check out premium serrit. It is legit the goriest thing I've ever seen in a video game. (It's actually too much imo)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nobody really knows yet. Every deck will have 4 legendaries, 6 epics, and 15 rares/commons so cheaper will just be a function of how many neutral golds/silvers you can run. Before it was more about not having essential legendaries (which NR didnt really have so much, its best cards post-Pavetta were all epics).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Minrad posted:

Level up rewards seem to only be kegs, scraps, meteorite powder, and random (?) cards. No more free ciri etc I guess.

Rank up rewards also seem to have been nerfed? I recall getting 800 scraps at some point in closed beta, now it mostly just scales up at 1 keg, 25 scrap, or 100 powder at each individual rank up.
Level 12 was 800 scraps in CB. It was so good.

Also laughing at the guy in reddit who played 12 hours straight to reach rank 13 in CB because the devs made it sound like there would be different level 1-15 borders each season.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can lock ambush units now... I had no idea.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why did these fuckers take old Pavetta and make her better, and a scoia card? I do like new Pavetta too, she's neat, but now I guess I'll have to switch factions to play my favorite broken card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NR is so weird. The two decks look like machines and blue stripe insanity. The BS deck is either requires extremely high iq or is pure rng, I can't tell which.

The way it works is to theoretically use sergeants with henselt's ability to pull all your blue stripes for 36 power on turn 2 that all dies to scorch. You can play the muster too for 54 on turn 3 that all dies to scorch and, if you're up for it, operator your sergeant beforehand for 80-82 str turn 5 (not even very uncommon if you run adc). There's no way to stagger anything, I'm considering crafting dandelion, and I have no idea why priscilla is so bad. Send help.

Also, tons of weird interactions like medic pulling sergeant pulling a single blue stripe who hops around instead of two.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The way I want to use dandelion is to buff trio generated blue stripes (or just nenneke'd blue stripes) up to 6 str after 3 sergeants have been used. This will allow the 6 str medics to pull them. (I think this is why dandelion was even added)

I think there must have been more trio cards at one point.

Keira is great as expected, philippa is cool but I think I prefer triss and sile would be ridiculous in any other faction. Potential but still tough to smooth out. I would love old siege support or blue stripes 4 str buff guy back, that'd really solve my biggest problem.

Total aside but scoia seems totally insane on paper. Guaranteed agleis every game, scorch generator, nature's blessing, and the absurd ithlienne potential. Plus they got the best premium art in the game, aelirenn.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dudu sucks (is there a more appropriately named card?) but otherwise you will eventually find that that is an incorrect opinion.

Although playing against players who don't own scorch would be great.

I do wish cow was still a free card though, new players playing pwc was like a rite of passage and its moo was like the official sound of f2p gwent.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The leader changes seem great so far. They took cards that were situationally great if you drew them at the right time - like kayran, reinforcement, triss butt, etc - and made them guaranteed draws, balancing them from there. Leader strength values allow for additional balance tweaking so that we don't get into another dagon scenario either. Really cool.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Morkvarg was the cornerstone of one of the three oppressive decks mid-to-late closed beta (the monster nest, hawker healer, skellige discard rowbuff era). Skellige players still like to pretend the deck was balanced.

He couldn't even be locked back then and it's a fair assumption that lock graveyard mechanics were implemented specifically as a response to Morkvarg.

(I wasnt there for early closed beta where things were truly broken.)

I have a personal hatred for the card after watching him hose my villentretenmerth an uncountable number of times, but to be honest there should be some card in the game that's actively good against scorch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unlock Calveit and Morvran first in Challenges either way.

The issue is that you have lots of reveal cards, but neither of the payoff bronzes (Mangonel and spotter). Crafting rares sucks so just working with what you have, I'd just make a basic nilfgaard control sort of deck with calveit as leader, cahir, triss, geralt, emissaries, assassination, scorch, cleaver, decoy, peter, weather and chorn/dudu I guess, 3x rot tosser, 3x emissary, 2-3x nilfgaard knight, 1-2x alzur's, and I don't know what those other bronzes do but some of those. Or you can play around with 3x emissary 2x novice 1x vicovaro 3x rot tosser and some knights.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys.

And yeah, I'm in the process of playing all the Challenges. It's just that Nilf is at the bottom so I haven't reached them.
You can do the classes in any order. Though you'll want to do all of them so it's not like you're wastibg time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Robutt posted:

I'm curious, how did locking and the graveyard function beforehand and how did it work with Morkvarg? As even in the game's current state I think it's a little strange (if probably necessary) that resurrection breaks locks.
Locks didn't follow a unit to the graveyard at all before, so it was like silence in hs. You couldn't unlock things either.

How buffs are handled in general is a little wacky. A handbuffed unit shuffled into your deck from your hand keeps the buff, a normal-buffed unit shuffled into your deck from the board loses it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Philippa is great in NR. Triss is ok but if you got better, she can be replaced. You'll find later on that people learn to play around the big golden dragon. Maybe not so much of expecting it, but once it's on board, knowing how to not get decimated by it or even have it destroy opposing units.
I think the jury's out on philippa vs triss and I tend to lean towards triss right now. Philippa's good scenario is 4 str better than Triss, bad-case is 6 str worse and 5 damage is already the sweet spot. In a villen deck especially triss seems better because gold str is so important.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like the part where NR is helpless against all weather cards and they also made weather even stronger. What was nerfed was card advantage, not weather. What is it with them and this trash mechanic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The issue is that the tools to deal with new weather - especially in NR - were removed for some reason. Even just having siege supports or the 4 str buff 4 would make some difference. There were a lot of tools added that punish people for not staggering their units and way fewer ways to stagger.

Fog is now a double strength Yenncon that summons foglets, and it's bronze. The mechanic just doesn't work, weather-like effects should be much more mild and should be attached to units so that they don't dramatically win you the game when unanswered.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Here's an idea for a bronze card:

5 str
Every turn, deal 1 damage to enemy units on the opposite row.

Going places?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Morkvarg's not a meme at all. You put him out turn 1 every game and your cards buff him. It's the simplest possible strategy. I guess triple spores is kind of all-in though.

Put a cow in there and then we're talking.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 26, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ambassador's great against yenncon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

They probably should have implemented some sane limit on the number of kegs you could carry over from closed beta. Like 50 or something. Maybe 100 at the most. I guess you could break the limit if you actually bought more than that with cash but that can't be many people.

Having closed beta folks opening 200+ kegs on day 1 of open beta and being thrown in the pool with the noobs is just incredibly lol.
Very few people got above 50 free kegs from the closed beta, and I think quite literally nobody got over 80. It's mostly people who spent money who have the expensive cards, and they are paying to beat up on everyone else right now.

I've been enjoying NR and think there are some very fun mechanics most people haven't noticed, but it really annoys me that Pavetta is fleeting. The card's not even very strong, but it's interesting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Skimming monster decks I noticed that a (fellow) weather one was running Ceraeno Harpies. You know, the ones that spawn eggs. "Huh," says I, "guess I'll try it out. I've already got a 3-set from kegs."

:allears:

Thirteen strength, sorta, on a bronze. Sure, it's kinda squishy strength, but it can be split up between rounds.
Most broken bronzes right now:

1.) Imperial Golem
2.) Brokvar Hunter
3.) Celaeno Harpy

They're all certainly going to get nerfed at some point, but I do think that Celaeno is actually a fun card. Maybe it can be balanced by just reducing the str of the main body.

Golem will certainly at least get to set 2, although the mechanic is fundamentally OP and it would be played if it were 0 str.

Hunter just needs to be set to boost instead of strengthen and it's basically ok.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think the game could give out ~20 packs to new players on top of the basic cards a.) because the starter cards are a little thin and b.) it would allow for more variation of the cards new players would see.

If there's a problem with their system it's that meteorite dust is too cheap and the game will have trouble monetizing its super whales. There are crazy people in HS and Shadowverse who spend >$10,000 to bling out as much as they can (in the case of SV, it is almost impossible to have everything premium for any sum) and for 1k-2k you'll have every card in gwent in premium. This is totally irrelevant to anyone playing the game ofc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey how exactly does Ermion work? I play him and it asks me to choose two cards; am I choosing the cards I am discarding? But then it shows me cards that are not in my deck--if I choose those, am I choosing not to bring those into the deck?
Did someone play a 10 str silver Nilfgaard card that looks like a golem against you in that game?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

T1 Tibor is the worst possible time to play him. You get much more value out of a bronze put into your hand at the start of the game than a bronze you get after your hand is empty in round 3. If they pass after t1 tibor, you also win the round down two cards which is generally worse than losing up two cards.

The epitome of a killer t1 nilfgaard play is calveit into rainfarn+golems into joachim into nilfgaard knight to put you up 30+ points. (Still maybe incorrect because it might be overkill.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 28, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Renew is good and not very difficult to use, I'm not sure what he's talking about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The devs did end up toning down the Serrit artwork - here's the old one in case you were curious:

https://youtu.be/jIa288wnyrw?t=282

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 29, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

botany posted:

That's extremely counterintuitive, given that every round but the last works differently. I'm hoping that gets changed honestly.

While we're on the topic of things that should get changed: there is zero reason to darken the screen while my opponent is making decisions. Please let me at least see my cards so that I can instantly see what I just mulliganed.
End of turn effects (like weather) never proc after the second player passes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't get care if someone loses and they don't send GG because I'm usually playing a deck with some cheese in it.

If somebody wins and doesn't GG I want to murder them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

botany posted:

Weather is a start-of-turn effect.

edit: To make this clearer, if you have three riders on the board on turn one and both players pass, they buff themselves correctly. They do not buff themselves if the game looks at the board and goes "oh I guess this whole match is over now, no need to calculate end of round effects". This makes me think that end-of-round effects are coded in a weird way, where they get calculated at what is internally the start of the next round, but before the UI updates the game state to show that it's actually the next round.
I misunderstood, and that is weird.

Right now there are only four cards in the game with end of turn effects - Wild Hunt Riders, Skjall, Priscilla, and Vabjorn. They're all (with the possible exception of WHR), as far as I can tell, terrible cards so maybe they'll get to removing end of turn effects from the game entirely when they rework them as start of opponent's turn is clearer and better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Up Circle posted:

What's the most useful elf gold? Aglais? I already have saskia and isengrim

i don't really use any of the row movement cards or have dwarfs in me deck so zoltan isnt that applicable to me
Ithlienne is definitely the most broken.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Quen's shield is so useless. I'd like shield to give weather immunity until it's popped, I think that would be neat - as is the card is more used because it hand/deckbuffs. Which isn't bad, I guess, I just think shielded could be a more interesting keyword.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What's hosing you? Are they just close-ish games (within 10-20 points) that aren't going your way?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Replace those frost giants with celaeno harpies asap.

I also think you'd do better to run three frost wolves, three frosts (cutting alzur's thunder and a navigator) given that weather often gets better the more you have and frost wolves come with a body. Especially given that you have nithral.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Celaeno harpy is op but very fun for the game. Lots of cool decisions around it. If it gets nerfed I hope it's something like making the main body to 3 str, or 4 to keep it really good. Or just don't touch it until it becomes a problem. The egg thing keeps the resilience below clown levels like dwarves and old nekkers.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RatHat posted:

Keira is probably the worst "Mage" character right? She's gold too. By Mage I mean the "Choose 1 of 3 spells" thing, most of those cards just happen to be Mages.
She's not an extra clear skies so you don't put her in absolutely everything like you do the silvers. Those are a special case.

It's possible that old pavetta broke my brain and I drastically overvalue situational epidemics but in a deck where you have reliable Thunderbolt targets she seems well worth running to me and I prefer her to philippa (I'm in the minority here). This isn't all that many decks. I also run Pavetta, as further proof that you shouldn't listen to me about this.

Operator is just dumb at 9 str. You pretty much need a compelling reason not to include him, even if the new mull system made him alightly worse.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The game's already total cancer again because every single deck you face in every game mode is a top-level netdeck or the closest approximation of it. It was fun for about a week but it's already the same four decks (dwarves, nilfgaard, eredin weather, morkvarg skellige) over and over, if you're lucky, maybe control scoiatel or queensguard. This is going to continue to be a sticking point with this game. Maybe it's worse because the variance in this game is very low by card game standards so sleazing out a win with a suboptimal deck is less common. (Getting 5 out of my 6 muster cards in my opening hand, a 3% chance, happened 5/7 games today so that's not helping matters).

This is what made the game atrocious (imo) by the end of closed beta. I don't know what the solution is, no card game's been able to crack it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 31, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Captainicus posted:

I hope that regular adjustments happen so all those people finding ranked mode boring can enjoy themselves, I usually intentionally play bad decks and hover around low ranks so there is more variety. I haven't got ranked unlocked again post reset, but still having lots of fun.

Strategy wise, what is the advantage of the blue stripes commando's trio ability (besides thematically summoning ves)? I thought their main advantage was to combo with the kaedweni sergeant, and then you just get a random strength three dude that can cause you to get unlucky with clear skies?
You can Dandelion any that are in your deck and pull them out with the 6 str units you have. They're at the bottom of your deck, so rally won't screw you. I played a deck that used a lot of those neat mechanics, but unfortunately dwarves usually have a stronger round 1 which makes the deck pretty useless. It was very fun for the first few days though.

BabyRyoga posted:

Gwent will grow old very fast for me unless new cards come about at a rate that sets a new standard for the digital TCG industry, which is probably unlikely to happen.
20 every two months. Srsly. I don't know how they plan on making money that way either.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The value of gaining an extra card isn't ten, it varies depending on the round. Nobody wants to play frightener as their last card round 3 and that can draw you a gold/silver.

Tibor and Kayran are very strong because if you play them last they're 17-18 point golds almost every time. A 3 point nerf would keep them very strong but not quite as autoinclude (Tibor was good at 22 str and I played him, don't know why he was buffed).

The change they'd need isn't dramatic.