Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

257 spare cards from 100 kegs, worth 1655 scraps. I'd call that bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Really conflicted about crafting RNR right now. It's obviously a must-have in every deck, but also insanely broken and obvious nerf target. 800 scraps is a lot and I'm still missing plenty of core silvers and golds, and if they nerf it without reimbursing scraps I'd be hosed.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

IIRC the challenges give near 10 kegs already, and they're very manageable with the starter decks.

Also the starter decks are reasonably competitive compared to what you start with in Hearthstone.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

RatHat posted:

Oops, Decoy doesn't work on Operator.

Yeah he has the Relentless keyword, so can't be returned to hand

There's bunch of stuff I thought were bugs but are actually just keywords I didn't know about, like "Regressing" on one of the Skellige ships = doesn't retain buffed Strength when it goes to graveyard

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

13 strength with no synergies required is by far the best bronze in the game right now, it could maybe afford to lose 1-2. For a bronze to be auto-include in every deck is a bit more problematic than with silvers/golds.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

I too find myself pretty much done with the current meta of smashing my still not fully complete queensguard deck up against an endless row of vicovaro medic hard counters to my deck. Now I could get hopelessly smashed enough times for another couple hundred dust and branch out into morkvarg but gently caress chasing yet another deck that MAYBE won't end up on the rear end end of the meta again when I get there.

There's no counter to Morkvarg yet at least. I mean technically locks counter him, but the current deck has 3-4 ways of unlocking him.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Game honestly kinda sucks right now when you get high up there exactly because it's just the same power decks over and over. So much more fun when everyone only has very limited scrap and has to figure out a deck from whatever they pop out of kegs.

That's just how CCG's are nowadays, people will netdeck because winning is more fun than experimenting.

The game can still be fun by playing something different yourself, which currently means NR.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There's not really enough cards and synergies that draw cards currently, besides Emissary/Novice for NG. And I don't mean the Summon keyword either, but straight up cycle. They could at least add more cards with symmetrical draw, i.e. "do X and draw a card for both players"

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

No Wave posted:

There are almost too many already. You don't want it to be easy to get through your whole deck because decks become way too consistent with no downside. Avallach draws two cards for each player of the 15 remaining and Nilfgaard has a few other wacky mechanics. I'm not sure how many more you could add without hosing 25 card decks entirely, which certainly shouldn't be a design goal any more than MTG should have a deck that hoses every 60 card deck.

Pretty much every faction can build a deck that reliably empties their deck but there are trade-offs. This is as it should be.

I've been playing since CB and don't even know what it looks like when someone runs out of cards, I think they could add at least one more symmetrical draw non-gold neutral without breaking the game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I've known since CB I'll never play or like Monsters, so I mill all their golds and silvers immediately (bronzes too much effort for too little scraps)

No rs

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I got about 5ish hours into Witcher 2 and 3 before quitting, don't like the combat system at all. I guess I'll have to go back at some point to learn who the hell most of the named cards in Gwent are.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

He's trying to play NR while missing all the core silvers and golds (Operator, Shani, Nenneke, Dandelion, Reinforcement etc.), it's just tragic

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Those NR changes are a whole lot of nothing, can't really see them enabling any new decks. Frost no longer murders Sergeant decks, but fog and rain still fucks them hard (large rows of same-strength units)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm sure as hell I will welcome the extra scrap in the new patch, because crafting seems the only way to get silvers or golds. I think my last 12 kegs or so have been only bronzes.

I opened 100 kegs when the open beta started and pretty much exactly half of all the cards in them were duplicates (or in case of bronzes, quadruplicates). I had like 12 copies of some bronzes, while missing a ton of silvers.

Later I bought 40 more and got 4 golds and 4 silvers.

My pack luck was loving weird in HS as well so maybe it's just me.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Any suggestions on where to go next with this? I assume save scraps for a Operator, Shani, and other stuff:

Operator, Shani, Alzur's Double Cross, Reinforcement

Alzur and Reinforcement to pull Operator, Reavers and Nenneke if/when you don't have them when needed.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Big nerf to Reavers (6 -> 4 and no longer gets boosted in graveyard), so if the buffs to machines and others don't do enough NR is again in the shitter

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So NR machines is dogshit, no big surprise there. Loses to every single combo deck in the game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Is the post-milling scrap count wonky for anyone else? I milled a bunch of stuff for 5k scraps, but after a while I noticed I suddenly had 8.5k. I opened one pack in between, but it had nothing of note in it. Unless the milling was lagged somehow, as the matches have also been laggy as gently caress for me today.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Lifecoach's stream is pretty depressing to watch nowadays. Almost all of top 100, including him and JJ, are playing the same Skellige deck. Literally at least 9/10 of games are mirrors.

CDPR hosed up, yet again.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Foltest up there is a ticking time-bomb.

Swim was playing a 40-card Foltest deck yesterday and it worked shockingly well.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

My last two animated cards have been Lubberkins. Stop giving me this card I don't even understand how it works.

It's a unit that gets locked every single time it's played, making it a 5 strength silver so not good at all

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Machines got hosed hard, huh? Ballista and Trebuchet limited to 3 targets now, also none of the machines ignore armor anymore. I'd say that's enough to kill the deck(s).

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

drat I didn't realize how badly Trebuchet got hosed. From 2 damage to entire row and ignoring armor -> 1 damage to three adjacent units. That's one of the worst guttings we've seen so far, and it was nowhere near meta-defining either.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The average card quality for monsters, across all rarities, is just so much better than other factions. I think Swim said it best: the other factions would probably play Harpies as a silver, even after it has been nerfed twice.

This game won't be ready for release in a long-rear end time.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Will be fun to watch, at least the last tournaments had some good stuff. Pro Ladder starts this Friday officially so it's going to be interesting to see how popular it gets, and if those folk that all grinded to 4.2k at the end of the season will enjoying it once they find out that there isn't any actual reward, other than competing for a spot on Open/Challenger. Though Pro Ladder might end up more diverse than regular one, due to players having to use all 5 factions if they want to actually get anywhere.

I'd be a bit worried about queue times in the pro ladder. The legend ladder works in Hearthstone because the game has millions of players, so even the very top is thousands strong. This game has probably about 500k, with maybe a few percent of them at 4.2k and above.

The decision to lock the pro ladder for the whole season was stupid. Anyone who reaches 4.2k or whatever the limit is should be able to join at any time.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't understand how this patch went live. How do you print a bronze that commonly reaches 12-18 with a strong upside. How do you print a bronze that boosts your elves without giving any indication to your opponent how it happened. How do you print a veteran synergy card that only works with one bronze, one silver and one gold. How do you justify a vanilla silver at 12 and vanilla geralt at 13. Priestess of freya, but 3 power and can resurrect the same card infinitely. What the gently caress are they thinking.

CDPR are... not very good at this? The last few patches have been mostly flailing and panic, and dragging them further and further away from actually being able to release this game.

MarshyMcFly posted:

I don't think you really answered the question of "why not make everything agile"? Do you want everything to be agile or not? Or somewhere in between? And if so why?

Someone made a pretty nice suggestion on reddit, make every unit agile but assign them a "preferred" row. If played on the preferred row, give +1 or some other buff.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

I just think that the team couldn't cope with doing a SP campaign, new cards cards for S2 and S3, working on a new game mode, apparently doing an engine upgrade, setting up an esport calendar, doing balance, and on top rework a major core game play feature. More than direction, the patch needed another week or two in internal testing, which I guess ended up happening, but live.

They're also [mis/under]using the PTR. Changes are there only for a few days before going live, and from what I've heard, balance feedback is more or less completely ignored. All the OP poo poo in recent patches were found and reported in the PTR and not acted on.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 2, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I haven't played this in a while, but this patch looks godawful: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7krbyw/dumbed_down_or_simplified_cards/

Did they give any reasoning besides the obvious "we want to make this more Hearthstoney"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm not sure I like homecoming. The game is really polished and looks great now, but individual cards and combos are the weakest they've ever been in Gwent. Nothing feels fun or impactful to play anymore. All the overpowered poo poo in the past added a lot of flavor, even if it was sometimes annoying to lose against. Balancing games by making everything bad just doesn't work, and never has.