Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
noobs post itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'm going to climb Mt Si. Then I'm going to do Mailbox Peak. If there's any time left I'll drive out to Franklin Falls. You'll all be jealous of my Instagram. The next day I'm going to hike to Lake Serene or Lake 22. After that I'm going to throw some beers in my pack and hike up to Tuck and Robin Lakes with 16 of my best buddies. Some guys on Facebook said it was snow-free this time last year so it should be good this weekend as well, right?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I will be working. At the park, while everyone else gets to go hiking, biking, fishing, and BBQing :(

Someone bring me a hot dog. Oh, and be nice to your rangers, people. We would rather be hiking too.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 24, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Whatever psychic good vibes energy y'all may have sent your local rangers way materialized into TWO DOZEN Krispy Kreme doughnuts at my office today, AND the boss brought another dozen from Dunkin. Suffice to say, I am sugared up. :sludgepal:

Got tomorrow off so the new guy can get hours, so I'm taking the dog for a hike at my favorite little out-of-the-way park called Betz-Tiger Point. Maybe some fishing too. It also has a super interesting little ecosystem I want to find and document again and ask a few co-workers if they know what the hell is up. It's almost like a meadow, very fine grasses growing, but it's got oaks that look half dead from salt water intrusion (possibly from Mathew). It looks like absolutely perfect Loggerhead Shrike habitat so I'll be on the lookout for those.

Aw, the park has a video. I wanna be this lady when I grow up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjXAAOAkt9c

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 29, 2017

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Pyramid Lake, NV. First time camping in years, and I am definitely hooked again.

The water levels were pretty high in the lake this year, thanks to a wet winter in this part of the world in general, which removed a lot of space on the beaches vs prior years (or so I have been told). It was swarmed with RVs blasting music and generators, hummer campers, etc, and our little tents. I still loved it. Lots of fun pushing low clearance cars stuck in the sand, and now my skin is about 80% dust.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I did nothing. I drank a lot on Sunday and when I eventually woke up in the PM on Monday I wanted some greasy rear end food. The local drive in place was closed so I had to go to Wendy's. I got a baconator. I should not have done that. I fell asleep shortly after eating it for 7 hours. I just woke up and it's past midnight. :( I don't think I'll be getting any baconators anytime in the foreseeable future.

Should have not drank so much and gone hiking instead. :saddowns:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
went camping sunday night. Didn't work out great for some various reasons but lessons were learned for the future. Oh well!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Due to weather concerns I cancelled my Smokies trip and went to Land Between the Lakes in KY/TN instead. It was tranquil and I saw nobody else on the trails as fishing seems to be the main attraction. Definitely not the vacation I was hoping for, but it was pleasant nonetheless.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Levitate posted:

went camping sunday night. Didn't work out great for some various reasons but lessons were learned for the future. Oh well!

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that went wrong? Unless it's personal reasons of course. I'm just curious in case I can avoid screwing up something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh, just was first attempt at camping with a kid, not so much the actual camping part. That said I don't do a lot of car camping so it is a learning experience in itself to try to figure out what to bring so I don't just end up throwing in a haphazard bunch of stuff versus actually planning what we'll need carefully. I have my backpacking kit down pretty well but not the car camping stuff

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Went up to the Hoh rainforest last week for three nights in the backcountry. It was beautiful but we got a late start and killed ourselves getting to our campsite the first night. Good excuse to nap under a tree next to the river the next day. I want to bring a fishing pole and try my luck next time.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
had a good time out there this weekend, hell i hope everyone did.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

throwing in a haphazard bunch of stuff

Sounds to me like you were car camping like a pro! Only kinda joking.... Applying trekking precision to the car is an exercise in futility

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Epitope posted:

Sounds to me like you were car camping like a pro! Only kinda joking.... Applying trekking precision to the car is an exercise in futility

yeah but if you're haphazard about it then you realize you forgot poo poo or didn't bring what you needed

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, Memorial Day this year was fantastic! We went Backpacking in Red River Gorge at Daniel Boone National Park, and because the forecast was for rain all weekend, we barely saw another soul! Only rain we had to deal with was Saturday evening for a few hours, that was it.

Seriously people, ignore the forecast and don't worry if you get stuck in the rain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

lavaca posted:

I'm going to climb Mt Si. Then I'm going to do Mailbox Peak. If there's any time left I'll drive out to Franklin Falls. You'll all be jealous of my Instagram. The next day I'm going to hike to Lake Serene or Lake 22. After that I'm going to throw some beers in my pack and hike up to Tuck and Robin Lakes with 16 of my best buddies. Some guys on Facebook said it was snow-free this time last year so it should be good this weekend as well, right?

extremely good post

• Locked thread